"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by HeroR » Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:30 pm

Cipher wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:15 pm To be fair to TKA, upon reflection, I can see taking issue with it in the sense that ... had Tenshinhan wished to be stronger than the Saiyans back in the Saiyan arc, considering he was only a year or so later, would the dragon have been able to do that in exchange for just a year or so of his life? Because then that’s practically nothing.

It might be revealed as a unique property of the Ceralian dragon. If it’s not, it’s still only about as glaring an issue to me as the revelation of the Room of Spirit and Time, but I can see taking some issue with the questions it raises about previous storylines.

For what it’s worth, the last issue of V-Jump has a back-up feature which lightly implies it might be a feature specific to Toronbo. Will try to post a full translation of the (absolutely not-a-smoking-gun) blurb when I’m back later.
I don't think Shenron can make someone stronger. Shenron couldn't even kill the Saiyans despite he could have made their spaceships explode or something. Heck, he couldn't even remove bombs from the Androids. I guess there is him moving Broly back to Vampa, but that chalk that up to Broly being very willing since he didn't want to die.

I personally took these new Dragon Balls being more like the Super Dragon Balls, except its wishes needs an exchanged while the Super Dragon Balls are free as long as you can speak the language of the gods.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:37 pm

DiscountDabi wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:35 pm I can count a lot of the times in just the past arc where people thought something was stupid when it was introduced only to have it explained later and then its never acknowledged again.

When Merus got the jump on Goku and Vegeta people said that its insane for a Galactic Patrolman to do that and saying "Why hasn't he captured Frieza?" and stuff, only for it to be revealed that he was actually an Angel.

It was also mentioned that when Cranberry killed Moori that the dragon should have disapeared and that Toyotaro was stupid for making such a big plot hole, only for it to be explained next chapter that Moori made Esca his Successor before disaster struck.

Its pretty consistent for Dragon Ball Fans, Especially on here and on Twitter, to Jump to conclusions before giving the story the oprotunity to explain it.
Actually, the manga never explained why he didn't go after Frieza. They just never addressed it, although Merus could have easily captured Frieza upon both of his revivals.

Also, Moori randomly making Esca the successor with no foreshadowing that he did it was lousy storytelling. Although, nowhere near as bad as Cranberry having a random mind-control helmet that allowed him to control Esca to make his wishes and him happening to kill everyone but him since he obviously didn't know that killing the wrong Namekian would have killed off the Dragon Balls.

Overall, neither are these are the best explains to your point.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:53 am

This could be interesting!
A new interview on 9th and 16th.

https://twitter.com/DbsHype1/status/1422106802393477127

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:58 am

Gt91 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:53 am This could be interesting!

The word "GOAT" have really lost all meaning :lol:

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:09 pm

Saw Someone Comment that the Granolah Arc is the worst arc in Super. And I have to disagree. With the foundation the arc has, no matter what it does it can’t be worse than the ROF Arc in Super

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:25 pm

Granolah has been holding out but so did the Moro arc before it descended in quality ultimately becoming: "Cell arc part 2, no original ideas in sight".

Hoping it was the exception since all arcs without pages limitations have been good or great.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:38 pm

Jiren The Alpha wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:58 am

The word "GOAT" have really lost all meaning :lol:
If toyotarou is a GOAT, then I am the King of Everything.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:23 pm

Twitter is full of toxic trash. Don't focus on those guys.

About the interview, we could get new hints about the next chapters and the new movie! I can't wait :D

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:33 pm

We'd just be going in circles if I answered batistabus or Undying, so I'll just... not do that. Instead, these:
Miracles wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:06 pm 1. So it would seem a lot depends on the characters personality/desire.

2. Besides, why should every character from here on out wish to be stronger, when the story already said even such a wish is no guarantee it would last? Since the universe will always bring someone better. We just had Vegeta tell us that very thing this chapter.
1. Everything depends on characters' personalities if you're a competent writer. Frieza is a bad, self-serving person whose character has changed quite a bit since the namek arc, so him not wishing to do something that makes his existence more boring makes sense. Other characters, such as the ones I've mentioned several times, aren't like Frieza.

2. That doesn't make any sense. Why worry about the power not "lasting" when the new bad guy will kill everyone anyway? Why worry about the power only lasting a year, or 6 months, or 10 minutes if it makes you so strong you can kill whatever new threat arrives instantly. Granolah could've ended this forever ago, but is toying around for whatever reason. This isn't a good defense of it.
LightBing wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:25 pm Granolah has been holding out but so did the Moro arc before it descended in quality ultimately becoming: "Cell arc part 2, no original ideas in sight".
If you're gonna do that, come up with a catchier title. It isn't like the Cell Arc in anything but the most superficial ways. It's like a typical Toei movie, even down to the henchmen fighting the earthlings in mostly pointless fights and ends with a spirit bomb-esque move.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

EGonzo
Beyond Newbie

Post by EGonzo » Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:06 pm

LightBing wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:25 pm Granolah has been holding out but so did the Moro arc before it descended in quality ultimately becoming: "Cell arc part 2, no original ideas in sight".
If you're gonna do that, come up with a catchier title. It isn't like the Cell Arc in anything but the most superficial ways. It's like a typical Toei movie, even down to the henchmen fighting the earthlings in mostly pointless fights and ends with a spirit bomb-esque move.
[/quote]

What about "Now That's What I Call Dragon Ball!"? The arc is kind of a combination of DBs best hits, both canon and fanon

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:24 pm

TKA wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:33 pm If you're gonna do that, come up with a catchier title. It isn't like the Cell Arc in anything but the most superficial ways. It's like a typical Toei movie, even down to the henchmen fighting the earthlings in mostly pointless fights and ends with a spirit bomb-esque move.
That was more in-reference to the copy-paste scenes from the Cell Arc in the final stretch.
Common with Toyotarõ of course, unfortunately it became so frequent it was extremely off putting and the final nail in an arc I consider the worst of Super.

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Thani » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:22 pm

TKA wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:33 pm 2. That doesn't make any sense. Why worry about the power not "lasting" when the new bad guy will kill everyone anyway? Why worry about the power only lasting a year, or 6 months, or 10 minutes if it makes you so strong you can kill whatever new threat arrives instantly. Granolah could've ended this forever ago, but is toying around for whatever reason. This isn't a good defense of it.
Yeah, there's also the fact that Beerus has been the strongest in the universe for, well, more than 75 million years without a proper challenge. I get the message these characters are trying to pass, but it doesn't necessarily hold true. It took years before Freeza could actually be challenged by anyone, and even then it took a "prophecy" being fulfilled for that to happen.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:38 am

Given that no coloured Vegeta was released yet, how or when do you guys think we'll learn the colours of the new form?

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:14 pm

Toriyama designed Monaito and the Sugarians: https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/1422575078496079880

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:19 pm

batistabus wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:14 pm Toriyama designed Monaito and the Sugarians: https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/1422575078496079880
None too surprising. It's probably easier for him to design while writing to get an visual aide to spur on more writing ideas.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:49 pm

Toriyama drawing Namekuseijin with five fingers? Well, what do you know.

While the people making the movie is bragging about how they're approaching the manga by using its colors, Toriyama is distancing himself from it. Hilarious. :lol:
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:18 pm

Grimlock wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:49 pm Toriyama drawing Namekuseijin with five fingers? Well, what do you know.

While the people making the movie is bragging about how they're approaching the manga by using its colors, Toriyama is distancing himself from it. Hilarious. :lol:
You know, the DBS manga always had a 5-finger Piccolo. It's funny Toriyama corrects Toyo's panels but never did so with Piccolo's hands.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:53 pm

Four-fingered cartoon characters are slightly taboo in Japan because of the cultural association with the Yakuza. It may seem silly, but symbolically it's a deeply ingrained stigma in much the same way that showing a swastika in a SpongeBob cartoon would be taboo anywhere else. For that reason, the lack of four-fingered Namekians doesn't bother me.

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:04 pm

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Thani » Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:08 pm

Now this is really cool.