"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Rakurai » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:43 am

The chapter will be released soon in English so this will be the last thing I will note, but...
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:59 am

Liquir wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:06 am DBS Manga Volume 11 Cover (LQ Versions):
That is nice. Finally America gets some representation in DBS besides Trunks' Supreme shirt (a brand which Toyotarou is also very obviously fond of).
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:04 am

Buy, woaah does Bulma look like she is 18-19 years old in that cover. A very cute representation of her. This hairstyle suits her too. I like that it gets purple in the end. Gives off a minor connection to the purple hair of Z FTrunks.
P O W E R

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:37 am

Merus is an Angel and NOTHING with Vegeta :(

Better luck next month.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:12 pm

A little bit less impressed with this chapter, but I guess it's not that bad.

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:35 pm

This definitely won't happen but it would be HILARIOUS if Vegeta's training leads to Mastered Ultra Instinct and Goku still struggles with it.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:40 pm

What an incredible chapter. I loved this one. This is exactly the direction I wanted this arc to take.

First of all, I am so happy Toyotaro decided to retire Moro’s crew from Earth and even give everyone 2 additional months! This, alone, is something I dearly missed in Super: the characters having some time to train for the next foe, which is something that, in this shape, hasn’t happened since the Androids arc.
It’s especially nice because the threat is very imminent and one they already lost against, so there’s more tension and it’s a very similar situation to the Saiyan arc one.
Even the gag with Jaco asking for more time just to see his favorite anime movie was great.

Goku is actually getting 6 months to master Ultra Instinct, and Vegeta will have enough time to make his inevitable mastery of Spirit Control believable.

Not only that, but we can potentially get us a new and improved Gohan - but maybe even Piccolo! It will be interesting to see how Earth’s warriors will react to this... may we also finally get us some Goten and Trunks action? Maybe they will enter the Room of Time and get out as grown-ups... wouldn’t it be freaking dope?

I even wanted them to re-use the hero-in-hiatus typical trope first seen in the Piccolo Daimao arc, as even if some may think it’s lame I actually loved how the trope was used in the manga as it gave Goku a lot of charisma (it even inspired MHA All Might’s!).
This time it seems like the trope will be used for both Goku and Vegeta, and I fully expect them to be a bit late in the fight as Moro will most likely attack Earth before the two Saiyans arrive. Maybe someone will perish before they get there? I wouldn’t be against a Goten and Trunks death to be honest, as it could up the tension and make the fight more personal for Goku and Vegeta.

Either way, I’m glad this arc is no longer filler-ish. It already went out of filler territory two months ago, but with this chapter it’s feeling even more important, especially with the whole Merus’ mistery. I wonder if something happened behind the scenes which changed the scope of this arc?
Last edited by emperior on Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by shadd21 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:42 pm

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:45 pm

So Merus is an angel? That can't be it. Everyone predicted that 2 chapters into the card. With the way the mystery has been played up over the last 4 chapters, it's gotta be something more. Otherwise, I question the decision to treat this like a huge mystery and build a significant chunk of the arc around that.

Apart from that, good to see Gohan saving the day, I guess. My expectations got subverted, since I thought he would've just choked again, as is tradition for his character. Well, he sorta did, but Gohan fans can be happy that he got blindsided by a power that beat Goku and Vegeta too.

I thought 7 Galactic cycles translated to 20 Earth days. Then figured it 8 cycles could be 23 earth days using math. But that seems to be the wrong interpretation, since just adding 1 cycle gave them an extra month.

Not much to discuss with this chapter. It was just a fight and the guys flew away, making it pointless.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

Majin Jator
Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Jator » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:39 pm

So the supplent team couldn't even shine against the thugs. Ok, this can go two different ways when then the baddies come back to Earth:

1- Our B-List heroes beat the crap out of them. This chapter would be just the perfect setup for a satisfying payback.

2-The thugs are killed unceremoniously in an unnecessary strength display from Goku and/or Vegeta. B-team dignity is never restored.

I'm going to assume this will be the case to avoid being disappointed.

About Meerus, my guess (like the one from most of you, probably) is that he asked to be stripped from most of his power in order to be able to mingle with mortals without those angelic laws and the neutrality oath. So we don't have to worry about Meerus rewinding time or helping in any other anticlimactic way.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:46 pm

TKA wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:45 pm So Merus is an angel? That can't be it. Everyone predicted that 2 chapters into the card. With the way the mystery has been played up over the last 4 chapters, it's gotta be something more. Otherwise, I question the decision to treat this like a huge mystery and build a significant chunk of the arc around that.

Apart from that, good to see Gohan saving the day, I guess. My expectations got subverted, since I thought he would've just choked again, as is tradition for his character. Well, he sorta did, but Gohan fans can be happy that he got blindsided by a power that beat Goku and Vegeta too.

I thought 7 Galactic cycles translated to 20 Earth days. Then figured it 8 cycles could be 23 earth days using math. But that seems to be the wrong interpretation, since just adding 1 cycle gave them an extra month.

Not much to discuss with this chapter. It was just a fight and the guys flew away, making it pointless.
I thought that too about the cycles (we have way too many time scales in dragon ball haha). I think it was Galactic Cycle 7, so maybe there are seen more like months. At the moment, they are 20 days away from 7, then another 40 or so days from that day it will be Galactic Cycle 8 (based on Jacos two month statement) . So a galactic cycle could be seen as around 40 days, which gives us 9 a year roughly. How many Taks is that...

Anyway another cool chapter, favorite Manga arc by far. Gohan losing is annoying but yeah that was a sweet trump card. Seems to be a recent version of Moro's power based on the strength of it and Moro's complaint about his neck being grabbed.

Glad they paid off the merus thing at the end after Gokus way too on the nose whis statement, I actually kind of think it's odd whis said that as he probably loves food more than anyone in the series but it's not implausible.

Keep it up toyotaro, haven't seen Gohan drawn so well consistently in ages either.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:19 pm

omegacwa wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:35 pm This definitely won't happen but it would be HILARIOUS if Vegeta's training leads to Mastered Ultra Instinct and Goku still struggles with it.
I would not be so certain omegacwa... I wouldn’t be so certain at all about that. There is a very good “chance” that Vegeta will get “mastered” Ultra Instinct after he completes his training. Afterall, “Spirit Control” is teased to be the ultimate thing for such abilities. Even Merus told Goku that the trick to achieving UI is attaining “self control” (some similair word) while in the face of a huge shock to your emotions.

So it’s definitely a possibility.

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:37 pm

I have doubts Goku is going to gain UI or MUI, something tells me Merus will be pulled by the GP before he can master it, so he'll find another route. As far as Vegeta, he's probably going to pull out something crazy. I've honestly been hoping Goku would get something different than Ultra Instinct, it seems to OP for future villains.
Last edited by Xeztin on Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Block88
Beyond Newbie

Post by Block88 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:37 pm

Vegeta ain’t getting any version of UI Let’s be real folks

Block88
Beyond Newbie

Post by Block88 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:39 pm

TKA wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:45 pm So Merus is an angel? That can't be it. Everyone predicted that 2 chapters into the card. With the way the mystery has been played up over the last 4 chapters, it's gotta be something more. Otherwise, I question the decision to treat this like a huge mystery and build a significant chunk of the arc around that.

What the only time gohan clear cut choke was against Buu
Cell was too but gohan ended getting the job done

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:06 pm

Random and scattered thoughts of Chapter 54:

- The battle between OG73-I and Gohan was fun, but felt like it had taken too much of the chapter itself.
- Moro talks about how ten million years ago Earth was a planet of monkeys. If that's the case, and evolution did indeed occur on Earth as intended, how can anthropomorphic animals exist in Dragon Ball? Where did they come from? :think:
- Why is Krillin just standing around while OG73-I and Gohan fight? You have the Kienzan attack Krillin! Fucking use it!
- It's shame Krillin and Piccolo's appearance in the plot (so far) was so that they could get beat down. This is trope that I've always resented in Dragon Ball, especially in the movies where it's practically a gag for Krillin, and I didn't like it now. Especially since the cronies that weren't OG73-I (Shimorekka and... the bear guy) didn't display any unique attributes that would make them overwhelming Piccolo and Krillin potentially interesting for reference in future conflicts.
- Jaco talking about how he doesn't want to die before that one anime movie comes out made me chuckle.
- What stopping Moro's cronies from killing Piccolo, Gohan and Krillin? Why did they let them live? Some major Bond Villain Stupidity there.
- When all is said and done, I can't help but feel like Moro's cronies going to Earth was a huge waste of time. Nothing of significance was gained from it. It honestly felt like more of an exercise to get some of the supporting cast in involved in a skirmish (much like Resurrection F), but it wasn't as entertaining as that.
- If the major story beat Toyotaro needed was to give Goku and Vegeta more time to train, this could have been easily accomplished without wasting 2-3 chapters having a token tag-team fight with the supporting cast. You could have easily had Moro eating planets, while still searching for Earth, as Goku and Vegeta continued to train. A great way to build tension would have been for Moro to go to Earth and then Namek and suck the life from those planets, killing everyone and everything. That way you provide Goku and Vegeta more urgency in their training and remove the Dragon Balls from the plot, and the stakes surge immensely.
- The story is seriously hinting at Merus being an Angel of some sorts, and I don't like it. Let Merus be his own character without having to have some sort of connection to the Dragon Ball pantheon.
- I'm really like this arc so far, but probably the biggest issue I have with it is how the plot grinds to a halt far to often. It feels like the pacing of a weekly story is being used on a monthly story.

Overall... this felt like nothing.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:35 pm

I'm really waku waku with this arc, I enjoyed Gohan being too much for 7-3, I was expecting him to pull a Gohan any time soon and losing his advantage but he did not, the way the tables turned on him were understandable, surprising and didn't portrayed Gohan as a chump, there was nothing he could've done to prevent that (unlike Piccolo in the previous chapter, cough, cough).

I was hoping for Android 17 to show up and knock 7-3 from the back and also hinting some rapport between the ToP members, but Moro giving them a chance, not out of pride or over-confidence but out of self-benefit like having an even bigger banquet, was great too. I thought Krilin yelling that Goku is training to kick their asses was going to get them killed faster, but he ended up saving everybody and gaining more time.

The panels are getting more and more interesting, with lesser boring chunks of dialogue and repetitive expressions and more action and nice fighting dynamics.

Merus is an angel, ok, I'm guessing there is another twist coming, maybe he is a retired/fired Angel or training to be one, perhaps a Fallen Angel, but if Whis is going to see his father then there has to be something bigger. Also, I guess Whis can peak into Merus' pyramid, so long for that fan-theory about Merus hiding from Beerus and Whis.

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:40 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:06 pm Random and scattered thoughts of Chapter 54:

- What stopping Moro's cronies from killing Piccolo, Gohan and Krillin? Why did they let them live? Some major Bond Villain Stupidity there.
I think because he doesn't want to interrupt goku/vegeta 's training. If they knew that gohan and co were killed, they probably would have stopped the training, to get revenge. Then they wouldn't have unlocked the full potential (moro's goal).
Maybe.

p.s. i hope that my english was good xD
Last edited by Gt91 on Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Block88
Beyond Newbie

Post by Block88 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:42 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:35 pm I'm really waku waku with this arc, I enjoyed Gohan being too much for 7-3, I was expecting him to pull a Gohan any time soon and losing his advantage but he did not, the way the tables turned on him were understandable, surprising and didn't portrayed Gohan as a chump, there was nothing he could've done to prevent that (unlike Piccolo in the previous chapter, cough, cough).

I was hoping for Android 17 to show up and knock 7-3 from the back and also hinting some rapport between the ToP members, but Moro giving them a chance, not out of pride or over-confidence but out of self-benefit like having an even bigger banquet, was great too. I thought Krilin yelling that Goku is training to kick their asses was going to get them killed faster, but he ended up saving everybody and gaining more time.

The panels are getting more and more interesting, with lesser boring chunks of dialogue and repetitive expressions and more action and nice fighting dynamics.

Merus is an angel, ok, I'm guessing there is another twist coming, maybe he is a retired/fired Angel or training to be one, perhaps a Fallen Angel, but if Whis is going to see his father then there has to be something bigger. Also, I guess Whis can peak into Merus' pyramid, so long for that fan-theory about Merus hiding from Beerus and Whis.
i don’t understand this nonsense I’m hearing gohan haven’t pull this shit since Buu which the TOP was meant to fix yet somehow folks acting like it happens 24/7

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:55 pm

I thought the fight was impressive enough. Gohan had a dignified showing against an eccentric opponent. How could he have anticipated the android/cyborg's slot ability and his using of Moro's powers? Those same powers ultimately defeated Goku and Vegeta. Within the allotted monthly preparations hopefully everyone can prepare themselves for the return of Moro's group. Surely Piccolo, Krillin and Gohan will have the opportunity to try their hand again at battling Moro's minions.

The nigh unveiling of Merus's status seems like an obvious established concept, frankly. We all knew Merus beared a stark resemblance to angels. Also, his dodging ability mirrors Ultra Instinct quite noticeably. I'm with everyone else in wondering how his character is ultimately going to end up and what his relationship with the other angels actually entails.