"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Skar
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Skar » Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:24 pm

HeroR wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 5:58 pmIn Japan, Super took over the Z name as the primary Dragon Ball brand, Zamasu and Jiren are more popular than Cell with Black rivaling Frieza and Broly, and Super is the reason Dragon Ball makes more than One Piece in Japan where it was Toei’s main money maker for over a decade. It’s just as big as SupremeKai25 suggests.
Is there proof of this from Toei and Bandai? From what we've seen, the majority of their revenue of the last few years came from video games. The best selling recent games were the two Xenoverses, FighterZ, and DBZ Kakarot. All the games that came out after DBS began were still just "Dragon Ball" games or had a Z in the name. I don't think what Yuji said is wrong since it could be more anime fans in general interested in movies than sitting down to watch an entire show.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:40 pm

Guys, literally nobody said Super wasn't a big deal. The point is that "people who haven't seen Super" are a pretty sizable portion of the fanbase, still. I'd wager not half of the people who watched Z as kids actually became enough superfans to watch Super when it aired. Watching a Dragon Ball movie at the theater is a casual experience anyone with a passing familiarity with Dragon Ball can engage in. Watching a 131 episode series is a commitment nobody will make unless they're invested in the series to begin with.

This is like saying everyone who watched Avengers Endgame watched all of the other MCU movies as well when that's just demonstrably not the case.

TBMx
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TBMx » Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:41 pm

Vegeta says hed surpass Goku his own way. But he also didnt know about the Hakai way at the time he said that.

If he intended to continue spirit control on Yardrat, why wasn't he halfway to Yardrat already?

He's seen MUI Goku in battle already in the Moro arc.

Its as if Vegeta read ahead in the script so knew Beerus would help him so knew he had to stay there.

But if he didn't read ahead in the script he'd be back on Yardrat or in the gravitron or ROSAT pushing SSBE to its limits.

He wouldn't be standing around at Beerus' planet watching Goku and Whis for no reason.

Jinto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jinto » Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:14 pm

Vegeta supposedly "mastered" the ugly face form in the current arc, and he has the earring from Beerus which is a big development for their relationship, we also have Goku's MUI.
If they truly thought of the manga as part of anything in the continuity then they would at least keep Vegeta's transformation.

Side note: Blue evolution may be the sign of Ultra ego bringing a nice connection to his fight against god Toppo.

TBMx
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TBMx » Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:55 pm

Jinto wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:14 pm Vegeta supposedly "mastered" the ugly face form in the current arc, and he has the earring from Beerus which is a big development for their relationship, we also have Goku's MUI.
If they truly thought of the manga as part of anything in the continuity then they would at least keep Vegeta's transformation.

Side note: Blue evolution may be the sign of Ultra ego bringing a nice connection to his fight against god Toppo.
They won't keep it cos its a Toyotaro idea. Only Toriyama ideas tend to make it into the movies. Also it plain ugly so might put off the casual moviegoers.

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:51 am

HeroR wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 5:52 pm Using Bleach as an example doesn’t explain why there is no Super Saiyan Black merchandise and even people who follow merchandise says this is odd.
All of these examples "explain why" if it's an issue of licensing, which is what multiple peeps ITT have been trying to tell you? That's the point being danced around here. "People who follow merchandise" have differing opinions on the matter and are no more authoritative than you or me.

But I'm just not invested enough to continue engaging with you on this any further. If the anime went back and adapted something like Super Saiyan Black into a Brotherhood esque TV series, you're all but guaranteed to see that follow (naturally) in merch/games. It's likely contingent on Toei, or whoever decides whether Toyotaro's stories should be adapted.

Simple as. You're free to have your last word now because I won't be sticking around to talk about this.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:12 pm

I saw his completed spineart! The mysterious yellow line is still there. Who do you think will appear next? Broly or Moro?

fleahop
Beyond Newbie

Post by fleahop » Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:26 pm

Skar wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:12 pm Image

I saw his completed spineart! The mysterious yellow line is still there. Who do you think will appear next? Broly or Moro?
If I had to bet between those two, Moro probably. I don't think Broly will appear at all unless it's much further on. Frieza still isn't up there and may never be even though he's been far more important to the story than Broly.

Also calling it now that the line is kinto'un. Guessing everyone knows that though.
Movie 1/Dead Zone >>> DBS Broly

I'll die on this hill

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:47 pm

Skar wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:12 pm
Looks like Zamasu (well, the fused Zamasu) is next. I think that's his hair anyway. Disregarding that, who knows? It could be Moro, Broly, Frieza, 7-3, Granolah (probably not)... I dunno, maybe Cabba, Caulifla, Kale and Kefla could be the next group. With the current characters being versions of Zamasu despite ToP characters already having appeared, they're not sticking to a strict timeline, so it could really be anyone from any point in Super.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:20 am

Alruneia wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:47 pmLooks like Zamasu (well, the fused Zamasu) is next. I think that's his hair anyway.
Yep, nice catch there - not only the hair, but also Zamas and Black are fiddling with their Potara and there's a slight 'merge' effect coming off the pair of them, so it's definitely Zamas2 next.

As for who comes next after that - if we stick with that arc, Trunks could make it on there (he was never on the original DB spine art, and this was his arc, after all). Wherever it ends, it seems obvious it's going to be Uub on Kinto'un. Thinking about it, I'm surprised Jaco hasn't shown up yet, as he's been in more than one arc now.

Going forward, it would be nice to see some manga-exclusive characters on the manga spine art eventually (Moro and Merus stand out as candidates here), rather than only having the cross-media characters acknowledged - one feels that Toyotarou's own work should at least make it onto an image encapsulating Toyotarou's work.

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:01 pm

Magnificent Ponta wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:20 am As for who comes next after that - if we stick with that arc, Trunks could make it on there (he was never on the original DB spine art, and this was his arc, after all).
Not many know this, but Trunks already appeared on the alternate "limited edition" spine art.

I'd like that though. Shame we don't have access to the alternate cover through Viz.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:28 pm

Mr Baggins wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:01 pm
Magnificent Ponta wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:20 am As for who comes next after that - if we stick with that arc, Trunks could make it on there (he was never on the original DB spine art, and this was his arc, after all).
Not many know this, but Trunks already appeared on the alternate "limited edition" spine art.

I'd like that though. Shame we don't have access to the alternate cover through Viz.
Oh, that's pretty neat! Thanks for the link. Although, I guess that makes it less likely that we'd get Trunks in the main run of spine art, as it could slightly undermine the point of having a Limited Edition version if the main run ends up having him included anyway.

And arguably, it would be a bit weird to own a version of the spine art where there are two Trunks - unless you wanted to explain one of them being the Trunks from the alternate timeline Trunks ends up in :lol: Or an affectionate tip of the hat to there being two Yajirobes in the original DB spine art?

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:41 pm

Skar wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:24 pm
HeroR wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 5:58 pmIn Japan, Super took over the Z name as the primary Dragon Ball brand, Zamasu and Jiren are more popular than Cell with Black rivaling Frieza and Broly, and Super is the reason Dragon Ball makes more than One Piece in Japan where it was Toei’s main money maker for over a decade. It’s just as big as SupremeKai25 suggests.
Is there proof of this from Toei and Bandai? From what we've seen, the majority of their revenue of the last few years came from video games. The best selling recent games were the two Xenoverses, FighterZ, and DBZ Kakarot. All the games that came out after DBS began were still just "Dragon Ball" games or had a Z in the name. I don't think what Yuji said is wrong since it could be more anime fans in general interested in movies than sitting down to watch an entire show.
Late, but for games, they’re being carried by DLC and most of the new DLC came from Super with Baby and Super Saiyan 4 Gogeta being the only standout examples for FighterZ. Kakarot also has Super DLC in it.

The brand changed happened with merch, like seeing Heroes and Z characters having ‘Super’ on the box. Even funnier that I personally saw Super Saiyan 4 Gogeta figures labeled as a Super product.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:05 am

HeroR wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:41 pmLate, but for games, they’re being carried by DLC and most of the new DLC came from Super with Baby and Super Saiyan 4 Gogeta being the only standout examples for FighterZ. Kakarot also has Super DLC in it.

The brand changed happened with merch, like seeing Heroes and Z characters having ‘Super’ on the box. Even funnier that I personally saw Super Saiyan 4 Gogeta figures labeled as a Super product.
I suppose it makes sense for merchandise since how much would they realistically make from characters that have been sold for decades. It seems that "toys and hobby" make up less 15% of Bandai's DB revenue so the rest is video games. Super helped but the games are still labeled as DB or Z with some DBS DLCs. The latest game was DBZ Kakarot which might've had fewer DBS characters than games that came out while it was still airing and DB Breakers seems to be advertising the Z villains again. I think the Z label used for the original and for the longest time will outlive the one used for the revival.

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:44 am

I find it interesting how Uchida mentions that the revelation that the Granolah arc is nearing its end "might come as a surprise". They know this feels sudden, which could mean that in another context (maybe without the movie around the corner) this arc wouldn't be so short because they know people were expecting it to be longer, which gives me the impression that it might actually end in a cliffhanger.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:52 pm

TheSaiyanGod wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:44 am I find it interesting how Uchida mentions that the revelation that the Granolah arc is nearing its end "might come as a surprise". They know this feels sudden, which could mean that in another context (maybe without the movie around the corner) this arc wouldn't be so short because they know people were expecting it to be longer, which gives me the impression that it might actually end in a cliffhanger.
Yeah, I think we'll get a cliffhanger at least. I'll go further and predict that even if the Granola The Survivor Arc officially ends soon, the actual story of Granola himself will be resumed at some point with a sequel of some kind. Knowing how Super arcs tend to go, we'll probably get Something Completely Different in the interim, likely tying into the movie somehow.

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:24 pm

TheSaiyanGod wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:44 am I find it interesting how Uchida mentions that the revelation that the Granolah arc is nearing its end "might come as a surprise". They know this feels sudden, which could mean that in another context (maybe without the movie around the corner) this arc wouldn't be so short because they know people were expecting it to be longer, which gives me the impression that it might actually end in a cliffhanger.
At least some people have interpreted it as pointing up that the Granolah arc is a direct set-up arc for something bigger immediately following one, which is another possibility. I guess the things that idea has going for it are (a) the sense a number of people have that things were just really getting started when the announcement the arc is ending came out (well guess what? It is just getting started!), and (b) it would be a little out-of-character (and maybe also a weird wrench from a timeline perspective, if not set up in a way that makes sense) for the manga to pursue a direct tie-in to the forthcoming movie.

DragonBallLove
Beyond Newbie

Post by DragonBallLove » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:49 am

The flying nimbus will be the last one, with Uub riding it.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:35 pm

What if Granolah blows himself up to kill Gas?
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:20 pm

DragonBallLove wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:49 am The flying nimbus will be the last one, with Uub riding it.
Shame, I don't like how DBS is tied to Uub being the ending point. It should just go through him and forward. It's been too many years and the predictability is just boring. Bet the new manga arc will still be set before EoZ and maybe even before Super Hero <_<