"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Zillamon51
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Zillamon51 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:00 pm

Y'all think Bardock is coming back? I think Bardock is coming back.

Next chapter, we'll certainly get a flashback of Bardock sparing Grano-mom and her offspring, if not outright saving them from the other Saiyans. But I don't think it will end there. Hearing the tale will spark something in Goku, a desire that he's never really had before: To reconnect with his Saiyan heritage. I think the denouement of the arc will be Goku using the DBs (or some Whis angel-magic) to actually meet his father. Maybe not full-on resurrection, but they will interact. This has never happened before in canon, so it would provide a 'must-see' fan moment, that isn't a big fight.

Bardock's coming back, y'all.
"...It’s still going to be the same sort of easy-to-understand content as always." - Akira Toriyama, on transitioning from DBZ to DBS.

"Just repeat to yourself, It's just a show,
I should really just relax..." - MST3K theme song

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:10 pm

kemuri07 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:13 pm1. None of what Toriyama says necessarily negates the issues people have with the current interpretation of Bardock (the scientist? The very same.). Sure, he has a bit of compassion reserved for mostly his group. But he's still a mass murderer, and is all but fine being one even after being betrayed Frieza. It's the same problem I have with people who use the Toriyama quote of Goku not supposed to be a comic hero, to justify the terrible writing from DBS that made him look like an utter sociopath. Basically using Toriyama quotes to justify odd character shifts isn't really the right way to go
And what really is the right way to go? Because even if we ignore Toriyama's quotes, the "shift" is already there. We see Bardock helping the Time Patrol because his son is in danger, we see Bardock deciding to send Goku away to save him, we will see (?) Bardock saving Granolah... Toriyama's quotes only serve to further establishes what he wants (that's what I did when I provided the link), but we don't actually need it because, like I said, the "shift" has already occurred (for a decade now).
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:27 pm

Grimlock wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:31 pm Yeah, Bardock has always been this "strange fella" among the Saiyans, one way or another. I really don't understand when people get mad, saying he should be "a random grunt" or anything. Bardock can't be just a nobody when he is the freaking father of the protagonist (and that goes for every father of protagonists out there). As much as people want him to be a nobody, it's impossible. You can't do that, there's no way you could do that.

The only way for a character like Bardock being a nobody is if he never existed in the first place. But once you establishes the father of someone who will be the face of a franchise, a certain set of expectations come with it by demand and default, like a law.

Bardock cares about others, and now it's possible that he cared even for those who were his target. We need more details and information on that to say more about his characterization, but that seems to be the case for now.
I don't think there are any expectations. Raditz was a one time, minor antagonist that never showed up again and he was the brother of the main character. It took 30 years for Gine to show up. Bardock is the one getting extraordinary spotlight when it comes to Goku's Saiyan family.

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:40 am

Zillamon51 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:00 pm Y'all think Bardock is coming back? I think Bardock is coming back.

Next chapter, we'll certainly get a flashback of Bardock sparing Grano-mom and her offspring, if not outright saving them from the other Saiyans. But I don't think it will end there. Hearing the tale will spark something in Goku, a desire that he's never really had before: To reconnect with his Saiyan heritage. I think the denouement of the arc will be Goku using the DBs (or some Whis angel-magic) to actually meet his father. Maybe not full-on resurrection, but they will interact. This has never happened before in canon, so it would provide a 'must-see' fan moment, that isn't a big fight.

Bardock's coming back, y'all.
I do like me some flashbacks but bringing Bardock back is something I don't want to see. This is Dragon Ball Super we're talking about, he would be either wasted or badly written. Look at Future Trunks. He came back and some fans now hate him, calling him "Garry Stu". Some things better leave in the past, where they are safe.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:22 am

Zillamon51 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:00 pm Y'all think Bardock is coming back? I think Bardock is coming back.
I'd probably tap out of the series with exception of video games and the upcoming movie. That's would be just..., so..., soulless.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:56 am

I doubt Bardock will get revived or something like that. That would be too much for me. I'm imagining nothing more than a lengthy flashback about Bardock and Goku wanting to learn more about him after listening to Monaito.

I like the idea of Bardock playing a role in the past that has an affect on the present story being told. Yet another similarity between Super: Broly and this arc. :lol:

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:11 am

Bardock ain’t coming back...Toyotarou is not that stupid
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

kyppk
Not-So-Newbie

Post by kyppk » Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:17 am

I imagine Granola's mom likely instills the caring for ones children that Bardock has in the Broly movie (since it's a surprise to Gine that he suddenly cares), so it'll likely be less "Bardock has a heart and spares them" and more "Bardock grows some amount of a heart because of something Granola's mom / Granola does".

I'd like to imagine it'll be a homage to the special when he is "similarly" cursed with foresight.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:09 am

kyppk wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:17 am I imagine Granola's mom likely instills the caring for ones children that Bardock has in the Broly movie (since it's a surprise to Gine that he suddenly cares), so it'll likely be less "Bardock has a heart and spares them" and more "Bardock grows some amount of a heart because of something Granola's mom / Granola does".

I'd like to imagine it'll be a homage to the special when he is "similarly" cursed with foresight.
I would enjoy this. I still think it's conceptually less interesting than the TV special but it would be a nice connection to Broly and help further Bardock's character.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:33 pm

I should probably say this, considering I haven't seen anyone bringing this up, in Dragon Ball Minus, what causes Bardock to save Goku was Gine's soft personality. Maybe Toyotaro would/should go with that one instead of what Bardock said in Movie 1? It's the manga continuity, after all. But maybe because more people saw Movie 1 than read the manga (and so the explanation Bardock said in the movie is more popular), then maybe Toyotaro will use what Bardock said in the movie.
Yuji wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:27 pmI don't think there are any expectations. Raditz was a one time, minor antagonist that never showed up again and he was the brother of the main character. It took 30 years for Gine to show up. Bardock is the one getting extraordinary spotlight when it comes to Goku's Saiyan family.
I'd say that ties to Toriyama's style more than anything else. Raditz, the brother of the protagonist, was treated the way he was treated because Toriyama, despite coming up with siblings for everyone, can barely develop family connections. Pretty sure if it was any other author, either Raditz wouldn't even be Goku's brother, or he would be treated far better, due to his connection to the protagonist.

And honestly, maybe it's time for both Raditz and Gine to get more spotlight now. Raditz is this weird member of the family and Gine barely had any screentime to make a proper impact or anything. They're due for a proper character development at this point, considering all that have been going on.

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:54 am

I'm torn on whether I want Goku to react or not if he finds out Bardock is his father.

I know the main argument will be Goku had no connection to Raditz, but this was from a Goku who had just had his world turned upside down by finding out he was a saiyan and also had this stranger threatening his son, and hurting his best friend.

Goku has come a long way in embracing his saiyan heritage since then - 'Broly you can call me kakarot'. And I suppose if he finds out his dad wasn't a monster etc he might be more receptive to hearing about him, having some moment of reflection.

Also don't think I've seen anyone comment on Granolah calling it Super Ego, obviously Toyotaro giving an homage to Super Vegeta
Last edited by Krillin1994 on Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:56 am

I'd be cool if the plan was to revive the Saiyans. That would be a ton of interesting new character interactions to have!
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

BWri

Post by BWri » Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:33 am

PurestEvil wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:11 am Bardock ain’t coming back...Toyotarou is not that stupid
But what about Burdock?
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:11 am

This is the best Colored Version of this Form I have seen, Period. The Black and Purple is so much better than the Shades of Purple and Pink other artists have done. No Offense Other Artists, but this is spectacular.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:37 pm

I feel we are jumping to conclusions. if I remember correctly bardock. was still a murderer in minus

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:50 pm

You say that in regard to Bardock being brought back? If so, well, let's also remember Vegeta killed a lot of people in Majin Buu saga, and in the very same saga, he was revived as a "good person". Surely we can "overlook" that one panel of Bardock kicking someone. :P

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:16 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:56 am I'd be cool if the plan was to revive the Saiyans. That would be a ton of interesting new character interactions to have!
Now that would be a real jumping the shark moment and I would bail on the franchise if Super pulls anything like that.

Bringing back the likes of Future Trunks and Freeza have already brought nothing interesting or unique to the table, in the case of the former has retroactively ruined what was an already perfectly satisfactory story. And the jury is still out on Broly as he's still a relatively "fresh" character.

Keep the Saiyans dead and just come up with new characters to write.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:43 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:16 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:56 am I'd be cool if the plan was to revive the Saiyans. That would be a ton of interesting new character interactions to have!
Now that would be a real jumping the shark moment and I would bail on the franchise if Super pulls anything like that.

Bringing back the likes of Future Trunks and Freeza have already brought nothing interesting or unique to the table, in the case of the former has retroactively ruined what was an already perfectly satisfactory story. And the jury is still out on Broly as he's still a relatively "fresh" character.

Ah, well, oh well. I'm here for the character interactions, not to win a marathon.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:48 pm

They didn't even considering reviving Paragus and giving him a second chance at the end of the movie so I doubt the Saiyans who have been dead for decades would be revived. It's possible they can't be revived like maybe their souls have been cleansed by now.

BWri

Post by BWri » Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:53 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:16 pm

We should totally do that ... so we can then bring in Dr. Raichi with his Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans which would undue all of Burdock's hard work and reset the status quo.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-