"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Super's manga by Toyotarō

Post by Kagari » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:57 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote:
Kagari wrote:Thank you for the translation, Herms.

Interesting to note it wasn't sad if they could sub in a 5th person due to Buu's failure or not. I suspect the anime will address this in more detail.

I think gohan will be the 5th. Super's manga and anime suggested he will improve. What with the training along with vegeta's comment of his potential.
Manga Goku & Videl imply that he doesn't seem hot on fighting or training but the manga has done a fair few things different so this could just be yet another diverging point from the anime.
I feel like the manga is serving as a misdirection for the anime, which is the main product here. And that's fine... it gets people excited and lets them speculate about a franchise that's finally getting new content.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:03 pm

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote:

Interesting to note it wasn't sad if they could sub in a 5th person due to Buu's failure or not. I suspect the anime will address this in more detail.

I think gohan will be the 5th. Super's manga and anime suggested he will improve. What with the training along with vegeta's comment of his potential.
It's the most obvious choice. There has to be a meaning for that Gohan build up.

divad86

Post by divad86 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:16 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I bet Hit is the only evil member in the U6 team. Everyone else is good.
From what I'm hearing, Hit is a hero in U6. I'm not sure about the yellow bear or robot. The bear looking guy might just come off as an asshole but still good. The robot alien could also be good. Remember, U7 is the "evil universe". For all we know nipple guy (forgot name) might be evil.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:29 pm

Zombie wrote:
LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote:

It's the most obvious choice. There has to be a meaning for that Gohan build up.
I'm telling ya, Super Saiyan Blue Gohan is gonna happen sooner rather than later. Especially considering Toriyama's recent comments have pretty much confirmed he's been watching the show. So he must have an general idea of what's going on as far as the plot goes.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:37 pm

divad86 wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:I bet Hit is the only evil member in the U6 team. Everyone else is good.
From what I'm hearing, Hit is a hero in U6. I'm not sure about the yellow bear or robot. The bear looking guy might just come off as an asshole but still good. The robot alien could also be good. Remember, U7 is the "evil universe". For all we know nipple guy (forgot name) might be evil.
I don't know where you heard that, this following description is literally all we know about Hit;

Hit: With his cool outfit, which looks like he's wearing a long coat, there's no doubt he's a warrior!! There's a dangerous feel to the name "Hit"...

divad86

Post by divad86 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:45 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
divad86 wrote:
I don't know where you heard that, this following description is literally all we know about Hit;

Hit: With his cool outfit, which looks like he's wearing a long coat, there's no doubt he's a warrior!! There's a dangerous feel to the name "Hit"...
Not gonna lie, where I got that could have got it wrong but then again like you said ArchedThunder, we don't know a lot about him. It would be cool if they all were good guys and someone from the U7 points out that if Goku hadn't hit his head as a kid their universe would really be the evil universe.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:53 pm

divad86 wrote:

Where did you hear that Hit is an hero in U6? It would be cool though, but someone from U6 HAS to be evil in my opinion.
It's also great to see ALL U7 fighters apart from Monaka whom we don't know if is evil or not, used to be evil. Goku used for a very short time of his life, while Piccolo, Vegeta and Majin Buu (even if he failed the test he is pretty much part of the team until/unless Gohan takes his spot) have been evil for longer.
I really hope Monaka is evil, but probably he's more neutral.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:04 pm

emperior wrote:Where did you hear that Hit is an hero in U6? It would be cool though, but someone from U6 HAS to be evil in my opinion.
It's also great to see ALL U7 fighters apart from Monaka whom we don't know if is evil or not, used to be evil. Goku used for a very short time of his life, while Piccolo, Vegeta and Majin Buu (even if he failed the test he is pretty much part of the team until/unless Gohan takes his spot) have been evil for longer.
Goku was never evil. Before hitting his head, he was a brat and violent. The idea that Saiyans are born evil, was pretty much dissipated recently.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:21 pm

emperior wrote:Where did you hear that Hit is an hero in U6? It would be cool though, but someone from U6 HAS to be evil in my opinion.
Well Goku wasn't inherently evil persay, but he probably would have grown up to destroy the world......til Minus decided Bar El wanted Goku to stay safe, avoid destroying the world, and pick him up later if he could....fuck Minus!
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

divad86

Post by divad86 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:24 pm

LightBing wrote:
Goku was never evil. Before hitting his head, he was a brat and violent. The idea that Saiyans are born evil, was pretty much dissipated recently.
Goku was pretty much brainwashed at birth to destroy Earth and kill its inhabitants. Goku was being a brat and violent toward Gohan because he wasn't strong enough to kill him. When he hit his head it erased the brainwashing and he didn't want to destroy Earth or kill people. What I'm saying it's ironic that U7 is the evil universe because of what would happen if Goku didn't get hit his head. Goku would have destroyed everybody on Earth and then joined Radditz,Nappa,and Vegeta who would still be evil, would still be under Freeza's rule, and would still be ruling the galaxy. Just look at at some of Goku's friends: Krillin wouldn't be evil but he'd still be a smug asshole because he didn't have a rival/friend like Goku, Yamcha would still be a desert bandit stealing from people, Tenshinhan and Chaotsu would be assassins still working with the Crane Hermit and Tao Paipai, and Piccolo would still be Piccolo Daimao.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:05 pm

divad86 wrote:
LightBing wrote:
Goku was pretty much brainwashed at birth to destroy Earth and kill its inhabitants. Goku was being a brat and violent toward Gohan because he wasn't strong enough to kill him. When he hit his head it erased the brainwashing and he didn't want to destroy Earth or kill people. What I'm saying it's ironic that U7 is the evil universe because of what would happen if Goku didn't get hit his head. Goku would have destroyed everybody on Earth and then joined Radditz,Nappa,and Vegeta who would still be evil, would still be under Freeza's rule, and would still be ruling the galaxy. Just look at at some of Goku's friends: Krillin wouldn't be evil but he'd still be a smug asshole because he didn't have a rival/friend like Goku, Yamcha would still be a desert bandit stealing from people, Tenshinhan and Chaotsu would be assassins still working with the Crane Hermit and Tao Paipai, and Piccolo would still be Piccolo Daimao.
Goku wasn't brainwashed into doing anything. He, like most of the other Saiyans, just had an innate violent nature and instinctive love for combat. That's it.

kidhero1000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by kidhero1000 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:22 am

Anthem of the Universe? That bird simply spit one bar and exited stage left! Who booked that guy?! I'd be asking for my money back! :x
He devolved into saying only one word. Time to hit the ol' cosmic trail.

divad86

Post by divad86 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:40 am

Lord Beerus wrote: Goku wasn't brainwashed into doing anything. He, like most of the other Saiyans, just had an innate violent nature and instinctive love for combat. That's it.
I was under the impression Radditz tells Goku that it was his mission to destroy the Earth's inhabitants. To me, it felt like Goku as a baby was told to do it. There was also the scene where Piccolo encounters Goku's space pod and there was an automated voice in the pod telling Goku to kill the people of Earth. I'm just following what I've seen. I'm also not implying that Saiyans are born evil but the ones who are full blooded that appear throughout the series, anime and manga, are pretty evil. An example where I could be wrong is Tarble. He was told to conquer the planet he was sent to but he didn't and he remembered Vegeta. So who knows.

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:33 am

Herms wrote:Beerus: “That’s enough! Hurry up and decide the order! Monoka’s strongest, so he goes last!!”
The way this sounds made me believe even more that Piccolo is the same league as Goku and Vegeta now.Considering the massive power ups some characters getting here and there,i won't be surprised.
Goku: “…Poro-Poro goes to the store on an errand, and buys 13 Kerokkos…But on the way back home, he meets three friends…He gives two to each of them…”
Vados: “You there! Don’t talk out loud!”
I don't know why but i find this funny :lol: Now that's for people who think Goku can't read.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:35 am

So Piccolo is capable of matching the unfathomable realms of power that Goku and Vegeta have attained after a few days of training with Gohan? I hope not. This series has been lambasted enough for its horrid inconsistencies. Having someone other than Goku or Vegeta receive meaningful screen time is one thing that most fans can agree upon, but I don't want it to come at the expense of damaging DBZ's credibility even further.

Neon Z
Advanced Regular

Post by Neon Z » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:46 am

Lionel wrote:So Piccolo is capable of matching the unfathomable realms of power that Goku and Vegeta have attained after a few days of training with Gohan? I hope not. This series has been lambasted enough for its horrid inconsistencies. Having someone other than Goku or Vegeta receive meaningful screen time is one thing that most fans can agree upon, but I don't want it to come at the expense of damaging DBZ's credibility even further.
Well, Whis wasn't training Goku and Vegeta for the tournament, and the manga hasn't covered Piccolo's training at all yet, so it could be Whis and his new RoSaT place... Or maybe because he was a former god, after watching Beerus and now Goku and Vegeta, Piccolo somehow unlocks the secret to train to obtain god ki by himself. They'll have some kind of excuse, even if people didn't like it, Vegeta had "Whis training" and Freeza had "innate potential, had never trained before".

Dbzk1999
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dbzk1999 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:56 am

Lionel wrote:So Piccolo is capable of matching the unfathomable realms of power that Goku and Vegeta have attained after a few days of training with Gohan? I hope not. This series has been lambasted enough for its horrid inconsistencies. Having someone other than Goku or Vegeta receive meaningful screen time is one thing that most fans can agree upon, but I don't want it to come at the expense of damaging DBZ's credibility even further.
What "credibility" does it have?

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:24 pm

Neon Z wrote:
Well, Whis wasn't training Goku and Vegeta for the tournament, and the manga hasn't covered Piccolo's training at all yet, so it could be Whis and his new RoSaT place... Or maybe because he was a former god, after watching Beerus and now Goku and Vegeta, Piccolo somehow unlocks the secret to train to obtain god ki by himself. They'll have some kind of excuse, even if people didn't like it, Vegeta had "Whis training" and Freeza had "innate potential, had never trained before".
Yeah, somehow harnessing it because part of him used to be the deity of Earth, a deity who was long surpassed back at the end of DB. I'm inclined to go with the first explanation you mentioned -- even then, he should logically still be much weaker compared with Goku or Vegeta. They had to toil for years to get where they are now, correct? Both of them have been presented as being the strongest and most capable in fighting in DBZ, and that's before factoring in transformations. A few measly days of beginner's training shouldn't be putting Piccolo on par with Goku and Vegeta; not even his pre-Nail fusion self was on level with Goku and Vegeta during the Freeza arc.
Dbzk1999 wrote:
What "credibility" does it have?
In specific relation to Piccolo, his inferiority to the Saiyans. He never surpassed them again after fusing with Kami. He had an opportunity to go into the ROSAT during the Buu arc and train, but instead he chose to put the Earth's future in Goten and Trunks's hands, probably because he understood that he had no chance against Buu regardless of how much he trained. This fact has yet to be contradicted from what I'm aware.

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:30 pm

Why assume he will get strong only by training Gohan ? There's Namekian Book of Legends,Whis' ROSAT or whatever.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:53 pm

Maybe Piccolo gets to train for three days inside the Whis' RoSaT by Whis himself.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical