"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Noah » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:56 pm

Yuji wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:41 pm As some other users said, the prospect of a four-faction showdown between Granola, the new characters, Goku and Vegeta, and Freeza's force, is enticing. On paper, it looks like an ambitious arc.
Pardon, but having another arc relying on exhaustive storylines like the Saiyans, Frieza and his army is anything but ambitious.
DiscountDabi wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:01 pm So has anyone mentioned the fact that the whole "The Universe's strongest warrior is about to be born" isn't just a promotional tagline. If you look at the trailer you can match up the Kanji with the Oracle Fish's Speech Bubbles. The Oracle fish is saying this, so it's more than likely actually going to happen, unlike the Broly movie's "Strongest vs Strongest" thing.
But what the f**k he means with that? Is he talking about someone that we already know that could get stronger? If yes, then okay... because I don't believe they will fill more to the plot hole of U7 being a wasted universe without stronger warriors in the US arc, only to have a guy like Broly out of nowhere and then another one now. Also "Strongest vs. Strongest" is a Coola movie.
SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:03 pmI know Frieza is super popular, but does anyone really think he'll stick around forever? I mean, he's still a villain, he literally said he'll return to his evil ways, and at the end of the Broly movie his army invaded a civilian world. He's still very much a threat to the protagonists, one that needs to be addressed.
So what? Bowser still a villain and yet he sticks around forever messing with Mario. The thing is they made a mistake killing Freeza on RoF, they could have got him get away, only to have Goku search for him around U7 for the ToP. Now killing him a third time, diminishes the actual value of his death, that's why we don't have characters like Krillin and Yamcha dying (on screen) anymore, because at this point is a gag.
emperior wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:39 pm Am I the only one who hopes to see Broly back in this arc?
Yes, but the original Broly? The one who was actually evil and psychotic, who called himself as the devil? No? Well, then no. Not really a fan of that tamed Gohan 2.0 version of him.
GodVegetto91 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:02 pmI REALLY want Vegeta to get Ultra Instinct! I don’t care what anyone says! I don’t want another bullshit powerup like SSJ Blue 3 or GT’s bs SSJ4 or anything like that nonsense. I don’t see what fans see in that. Nothing beats the divine elegance and awesome style of Ultra Instinct!😎
Yeah, keep dreaming on that. Vegeta will always be a sidekick, so no matter how many transformations he will achieve, in the end it all matters to nothing.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:24 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:22 pm I think it would be pointless to kill off Freeza seeing that they will likely bring him back anyways. He pretty much replace Pilaf as the most recurring villain of the Dragon Ball series.

It was pointless to bring him back but they did that . They do a lot of pointless things in the name of fanservice

That being said I think you are right and he is here to stay

I don’t dislike Freeza but Dragon Ball isn’t really like Batman or Superman. It didn’t really need a recurring villain

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:18 am

Noah wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:56 pm Is he talking about someone that we already know that could get stronger?
I think someone gets 73's data of MUI put into them. Which essentialy would be the same as Moro absorbing him, but maybe that someone will have a better suited body to handle it now.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:03 am

Noah wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:56 pm So what? Bowser still a villain and yet he sticks around forever messing with Mario. The thing is they made a mistake killing Freeza on RoF, they could have got him get away, only to have Goku search for him around U7 for the ToP. Now killing him a third time, diminishes the actual value of his death, that's why we don't have characters like Krillin and Yamcha dying (on screen) anymore, because at this point is a gag.
Okay but I don't care about Mario, and I don't like recurring villains, especially when they're fodder and are still around just because of popularity.

And as I said, does anyone really think he won't die again? I mean, he literally says he still wants to kill the Saiyans. He won't last for long, unless he goes through some major character development and gives up his evil ways.

But then you people would probably be complaining that they turned Frieza into a good guy.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:14 am

"Angels are XX !?
Had such a thing been established? ...
With that of course you can't win!
The members of the new emerging forces are too strong. Against all expectations XX looks rather weak, plus it's really impossible to read who will be the central enemy of this new arc.
I feel a new ability coming.
It would be nice if he got even better at making Takoyaki (laughs)"

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:11 am

Matches Malone wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:14 am "Angels are XX !?
The members of the new emerging forces are too strong. Against all expectations XX looks rather weak, plus it's really impossible to read who will be the central enemy of this new arc.

Wow that spoiler about Takoyaki....shocking :o

Several strong villains would be great because maybe that would mean several characters would have a chance to shine. I know that is not how DB usually does things but it would be nice change to formula. But then the TOP could have been this but wasn’t so I doubt this arc will go that route either.

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:36 am

Wait I'm confused. Is this part of an interview? What does it mean by "XX"? I probably missed something.
P O W E R

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:38 am

Grand Marshal 1 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:36 am
Wait I'm confused. Is this part of an interview? What does it mean by "XX"? I probably missed something.
It's a first impression of the new chapter. XX is a spoiler I guess, it seems that angels have a new ability.

caire
Not-So-Newbie

Post by caire » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:58 am

Matches Malone wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:38 am
It's a first impression of the new chapter. XX is a spoiler I guess, it seems that angels have a new ability.
I kind of interpreted the "new ability" thing as referring to a non-Angel character (perhaps Vegeta, given his quote about surpassing Goku through other methods? Although it would be quite exciting to have Granola/Hita and his crew possess some as-yet-unknown ability instead). To me, the first part implies that the angels already have an existing ability/characteristic that explains why MUI Goku (presumably) loses to Whis.

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:59 am

That's intriguing. I hope we get some answers rather than way many more questions.
P O W E R

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:03 am

caire wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:58 am

I kind of interpreted the "new ability" thing as referring to a non-Angel character (perhaps Vegeta, given his quote about surpassing Goku through other methods? Although it would be quite exciting to have Granola/Hita and his crew possess some as-yet-unknown ability instead). To me, the first part implies that the angels already have an existing ability/characteristic that explains why MUI Goku (presumably) loses to Whis.

I don’t think it has to do with Vegeta since it seems like XX applies to the same thing

Oh wait read it again. It could be a new ability for Vegeta but it could also just as well be Goku since I have a feeling UI is not going to cut it in this arc so Goku will have to learn something new. Who knows maybe whatever Whis shows Goku he will learn as well.
Last edited by Kinokima on Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:04 am

So vague as usual huh? Not surprised!

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:21 pm

If we get yet another visual transformation for the Saiyan duo, I am outta this franchise, really...

Vegeta on Yadrat was a breath of fresh air, so I would like to see them to gain something more interesting, like a technique or chi manipulation - make the series about martial arts again and not another hair recolor for new keychains to be sold.

I kind miss my childhood when GT came out... was a SSJ4 a huge departure from classic SSJ progression? Yes, both visually and how it worked. But to me and probably others, it was so visually distinctive and interesting and looked cool back in the day, that it became an iconic design. What GT lacked in execution, it made up by character designs to me and it clearly made it's own look to distinguish itself from Z.

I am kind of bored by seeing the characters looking the same for a decade now, wearing the same clothes and their hair just recoloured to magenta, blue or grey, wow. Ressurection F was great at reinventing some of the designs before the SSJ Blue reveal and it is hinted even in Xenoverse 2, that this was kinda the new staple look they went for before they chickened out with Goku Black arc.

Why it didn't work out? Was some merchandise performing worse with new clothes or was there some poll?
Because I don't see the reason for this, as more clothes and designs means more toys and merch.
At least my Goku figures in Z Gi are relevant for almost all the eras and I don't need to buy a new ones :lol:
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:29 pm

MCDaveG wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:21 pm If we get yet another visual transformation for the Saiyan duo, I am outta this franchise, really...

Vegeta on Yadrat was a breath of fresh air, so I would like to see them to gain something more interesting, like a technique or chi manipulation - make the series about martial arts again and not another hair recolor for new keychains to be sold.

I kind miss my childhood when GT came out... was a SSJ4 a huge departure from classic SSJ progression? Yes, both visually and how it worked. But to me and probably others, it was so visually distinctive and interesting and looked cool back in the day, that it became an iconic design. What GT lacked in execution, it made up by character designs to me and it clearly made it's own look to distinguish itself from Z.

I am kind of bored by seeing the characters looking the same for a decade now, wearing the same clothes and their hair just recoloured to magenta, blue or grey, wow. Ressurection F was great at reinventing some of the designs before the SSJ Blue reveal and it is hinted even in Xenoverse 2, that this was kinda the new staple look they went for before they chickened out with Goku Black arc.

Why it didn't work out? Was some merchandise performing worse with new clothes or was there some poll?
Because I don't see the reason for this, as more clothes and designs means more toys and merch.
At least my Goku figures in Z Gi are relevant for almost all the eras and I don't need to buy a new ones :lol:

I feel there will eventually be a new transformation but you may be safe until a new anime or film comes out. I just feel something as visual as a new transformation they would want to market like Crazy. And since they obvious have no plans to market the manga I don’t think something that big will occur without a way to sell it.

Then again I didn’t think they would have Goku Master UI so quickly so what do I know.

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:25 pm

Now that I think about it, the apparent leader of the new characters looks more like Gokua than like Bojack. I like the new designs, specially love the fat one, but I would like this to be the case and have Bojack look close to the original design.

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:38 pm

So based on the current information my thought is that Goku in UI spars with Whis and Whis in this instance actually has to put a sliver of effort into beating him and uses a power or technique we have never seen before. And Vegeta seeing said technique wants to learn it.

Edit:

So this is roughly what I think the redacted parts say. Don’t take any of this as true, this is simply what I think he means.

"Angels are omniscient !?
The members of the new emerging forces are too strong. Against all expectations Granola looks rather weak, plus it's really impossible to read who will be the central enemy of this new arc.

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:03 pm

DiscountDabi wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:38 pmSo this is roughly what I think the redacted parts say. Don’t take any of this as true, this is simply what I think he means.

"Angels are omniscient !?
The members of the new emerging forces are too strong. Against all expectations Granola looks rather weak, plus it's really impossible to read who will be the central enemy of this new arc.
Hmm. I agree with you that Granolah is probably the referent in the fourth line, but I'd be surprised if Omniscience were the referent in the first line - Whis says that he doesn't know anything about the fighters that the other Universes might field in the Tournament of Power, he's surprised to learn that Vegeta has completed SSjB, and he overlooks the fact he's left his staff somewhere when he tries to summon a barrier to protect against Beerus. Just a few things off the top of my head, but there's probably more.

OrangeBanana
Beyond Newbie

Post by OrangeBanana » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:36 pm

I think the XX in the angel part is immortality, Merus got erased by a failsafe so I think thats the only thing apart from Zeno that can waste them.

Gogeta SSJ Blue
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gogeta SSJ Blue » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:41 pm

Vague but at the same time extremely intriguing too!

And shall I say even a little bit exciting.

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:42 pm

OrangeBanana wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:36 pm I think the XX in the angel part is immortality, Merus got erased by a failsafe so I think thats the only thing apart form Zeno that can waste them.
Well that had already been established and given the context of the sentence I assume he’s referring to his fight with Goku and for it to be relevant in this instance it would require Goku to put Whis’s life in some level of danger which I seriously doubt.