"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lukmendes
Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Lukmendes » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:44 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:I’m willing to bet money that Moro knew of Bibidi and/or Majin Buu.
I kinda have doubts about that since he was in prison for 10 million years, Bibidi and Boo only showed up 5 million years later, though it's possible Bibidi was around before and he heard about Boo while in prison.

Either way, Moro saying that part of his magic returned and that's how he managed to escape sounds too convenient, lazy writing if that's all that happened and no more explanation, but I'll wait until more of the story is shown to judge.

I was honestly hoping that Moro would be less agile while fighting and that he'd just try to keep his opponent away with magic tricks, but yeah, guess he's both agile and has telekinesis, which is okay, hopefuly next chapter shows more.

I find it weird that Moro will be fighting so early, kinda reminds me of Gero and 19 showing up so early back in androids saga, so either the story will make Goku and Vegeta have to retreat, or some new threat willl show up, or the story will be just that short lol.

Alright chapter, not much more to say about it.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:08 pm

HeroR wrote: We have a canon version of Slug, he's name is Demon King Piccolo.
Touche. I grant you that, but I'll say Moro would be more like Slug because both would be homages/blantant ripoffs of Piccolo. Thus a canon version of a non-canon homage to Piccolo lol
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

BWri

Post by BWri » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:16 pm

Shaddy wrote:One of the best things about the Cell arc is that they're constantly just missing him instead only witnessing the results of his abilities, so I'm a little disappointed that we're just getting another "feeds on life energy" dude. I was really happy last chapter with the action setpiece that wasn't just a regular fight and the general mysterious tone, but now we've just completely established "it's gonna be Goku and Vegeta vs. this guy" right in front of it all. I sympathize with people saying "it feels rushed", because the pace really is all over the place with Toyotaro.
That's why you need more than three integral characters in these arcs more than Goku, Vegeta, Villain. Henchmen serve an important purpose in this regard and with helping with the pacing. Imagine Namek with only Frieza and no Ginyus, no Zarbon, and no Dodoria. Imagine it with no Gohan and Krillin.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:21 pm

it seems that the krampus has his eyes in namek I'm not sure that this situation is sure, maybe look for the Dragon balls, but I doubt it's all, at least with the zalama's history yet not explained

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:19 pm

Doctor. wrote:Good chapter. Not a big fan of the action, but I really liked the world building. The use of the Freeza soldier as a kickstart to the plot felt a bit forced, but it was neat all the same; I like that the arc is attempting to tie in the Gods, the Galactic Patrol and the Freeza army all in some shape or form. Hopefully Beerus gets to play a part in this, though I doubt it.

Minor nitpick: doesn't make sense for the Namekians to be praying to Gods, or the Dragon Balls. They know where the Dragon Balls come from and how they're created, and they should know that being a God is a job anyone can take. Moori (pretty sure that was him) should be the new Grand Elder and responsible for creating and destroying the DBs at this point, right?
King Kai did help save the namekian race, so thanking the gods isn't inaccurate.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

Noitsnothim
Regular

Post by Noitsnothim » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:09 am

This may come from a popular trading card game (i've seen them in stores) But maybe there's stuff in here that could pertain to Moro's abilities or "Magic" that could pertain to him in the next chapter https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_M ... g_keywords

Trek405

Post by Trek405 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:16 am

Doctor. wrote:Minor nitpick: doesn't make sense for the Namekians to be praying to Gods, or the Dragon Balls. They know where the Dragon Balls come from and how they're created, and they should know that being a God is a job anyone can take. Moori (pretty sure that was him) should be the new Grand Elder and responsible for creating and destroying the DBs at this point, right?
Well back in the cell arc mori said "we'll pray for peace on earth" when dende was chosen to the the new kami. That little line alone justifies it for me.

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:24 am

I’m starting to thinking Bibidi might have had a connection to Moro.. I’m not exactly sure what the timeline was concerning Bibidi, but they’ve already shown that they’re definitely willing to “bend” some established facts that were in original DB and Z. I doubt that they ever said how old Bibidi was though.

If this is Moro when he’s essentially depleted of energy, he’s going to run through Goku and Vegeta without much effort.

Anybody else think that Moro will use his magic to make Diety Ki obsolete? When you think about what magic Moro would be capable of that we haven’t seen before, something as crazy as that comes to mind.

One thing I didn’t like about this chapter is that they made Vegeta seem like a head case by just charging in like a mad dog.. They made some good steps with Vegeta in character development by helping the nemekians, but took a step back by making Vegeta charge in without thinking... WTF
How i predict the tournament will end:

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:38 am

I really like how this new arc is unfolding. I like Moro and his powers but I also love the unexpected thread for Vegeta. I hope it gets expanded upon.

Also, my guess: Chaozu is instrumental in defeating Moro. Chaozu and Majin Buu working together to seal Moro's powers again would be awesome!
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:52 am

Kind of a slow chapter in terms of plot progression, but there's enough going on to keep me interested.

Toyotaro as Mangaka
For maybe the first time, we're seeing Toyotaro innovate his storytelling in a way that cleverly utilizes the manga medium. When Moro speaks, his speech bubbles are jagged to emphasize his evil nature. To demonstrate Moro's sinister ki, Toyotaro is going with a visual static over the typical swirls, which is effectively unsettling. These aren't things that are simply copy-pasted from Toriyama's original work, but they feel natural and actually build on the visual medium. I'm impressed!

Towards the end of the chapter, Toyotaro positions Vegeta in the foreground and Goku in the background before the action begins. It's a nice way to ease Vegeta into the focus of the story visually before it happens plot-wise.

Aside from that, Toyotaro is continuing to refine his paneling. It's still not to the level of Toriyama's best work - where every image is interesting enough to stand on its own - but it does feel like progress.

Feeling Each Other Out
I understand why this needs to happen, but I wish we could speed up the process at this point. I feel like we don't need to keep doing this whole ritual to figure out how strong the bad guy is; a quick clash should suffice. Still, we're shown that Moro is capable of acrobatics despite his age, is able to perform basic psychic attacks despite having the majority of his power sealed, and is able to block at least one punch from Super Saiyan God. This matches Merus' explanation that nobody was powerful enough to kill him (aside from Berus, who of course, wouldn't). I actually like the choreography in this bit well enough, but since we know it won't amount to anything, it can't help but drag a bit.

Merus
Despite being outstandingly competent for a Galactic Patrollman, he's still not able to keep the Saiyans under control. I'm not going to read into this much further for now.

Moro
I really like the way this guy looks. I'm enjoying the character acting. Since leaking, his robe-less outfit has grown on me.

Mysteriously, a small amount of magic recently returned to Moro. I'm looking forward to finding out about that.

Freeza Force Deserter
This guy is possibly the most intriguing part of the chapter for me. I hope he is utilized well moving forward...I see potential for some fun stuff.

Vegeta
Multiple points of development here. Saving the Namekian boy is the most obvious, and damn does it work for me. There are more subtle developments of his relationship with Goku, like holding hands without resisting or even the need for verbal communication.

Prediction
If Moro is able to summon Porunga, he will attempt to wish for his power restored. Since the spell that sealed Moro's power was performed by a Kaioshin, Porunga is unable to grant the wish.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:18 am

batistabus wrote: Freeza Force Deserter
This guy is possibly the most intriguing part of the chapter for me. I hope he is utilized well moving forward...I see potential for some fun stuff.
Yeap he’s intriguing, seems to be a loser , but I hope he keeps on going somehow out of luck .
His name is raspberry, I didn’t remember him at all , he appeared in the anime and video games , first time in manga , nice catch by toyo .
I think Moro is gonna get the wish , we have to see him at full power .
I really enjoy your posts batistabus
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:49 am

AnimeNation101 wrote: If you’re saying Kale was built up to rampage in the Tournament, it was the same case in the anime. Yet anime Kale didn’t eliminate 4 universes in one or 2 episodes.
Well, no. It wasn't the same case in the anime.

Eliminating one or two fighters isn't much of a rampage, so whatever build-up she was given prior to Episode 100 amounted to nothing. In the manga, she was such a terrifying force that she presented a major threat to her own team. Eliminating four different universes helped cement her role as an obstacle to the important characters.

Remember that we're also talking about the pacing, where you had three entire chapters dedicated to Universe 6's subplot in the tournament. That's very reasonable plot progression. That fits with how the manga's recruitment period foreshadowed them to be a relevant team in the US arc.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:55 am

prince212 wrote:Yeap he’s intriguing, seems to be a loser , but I hope he keeps on going somehow out of luck .
His name is raspberry, I didn’t remember him at all , he appeared in the anime and video games , first time in manga , nice catch by toyo .
I think Moro is gonna get the wish , we have to see him at full power .
I really enjoy your posts batistabus
I enjoy reading your posts, too!

Moro will get stronger, but I'm not sure it will be through a wish. I like Sora Saiyan's idea that Moro might eat Porunga, or at least absorb his magic.

Hmm. Since Raspberry is an anime filler character, I'm not convinced that they're the same person, although they might be. The anime character has black/brown eyebrows, but this character's hair is lighter. I got the impression that this character deserted the Freeza Force before (but around the time that) Freeza went to Namek based on his few lines of speech. If he was on Namek, he would have had to use a Ginyu pod to escape, which I suppose is possible. Either way, we'll find out soon enough.

Of course, the Dragon Ball Wikia has already gone ahead and decided that hey are indeed the same character....big surprise there.

Issei189
Beyond Newbie

Post by Issei189 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:49 am

This was a good chapter and I'm glad Toyo is improving his use of panel space.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:17 am

TheOne wrote:I’m starting to thinking Bibidi might have had a connection to Moro.. I’m not exactly sure what the timeline was concerning Bibidi, but they’ve already shown that they’re definitely willing to “bend” some established facts that were in original DB and Z. I doubt that they ever said how old Bibidi was though.

If this is Moro when he’s essentially depleted of energy, he’s going to run through Goku and Vegeta without much effort.

Anybody else think that Moro will use his magic to make Diety Ki obsolete? When you think about what magic Moro would be capable of that we haven’t seen before, something as crazy as that comes to mind.

One thing I didn’t like about this chapter is that they made Vegeta seem like a head case by just charging in like a mad dog.. They made some good steps with Vegeta in character development by helping the nemekians, but took a step back by making Vegeta charge in without thinking... WTF
Actually, one of the Daizenshuu books revealed Babidi to be around 10 million years old aswell. It’s here on this site by Herms. So logically, his father Bibidi must be even older! And i do agree that these 2 should have had some connection together. My theory is that the reason Bibidi hated the Supreme Kai’s so much, is because THEY were the ones responsible for defeating and locking up Moro.. A wizard/magician just like himself! They may have even been friends. Dunno about that one. But this is my theory.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:26 am

Marlowe89 wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: If you’re saying Kale was built up to rampage in the Tournament, it was the same case in the anime. Yet anime Kale didn’t eliminate 4 universes in one or 2 episodes.
Eliminating four different universes helped cement her role as an obstacle to the important characters.
A role that could have been cemented just as well with her eliminating 2 universes or even 1. Eliminating 4 universes, obviously to most, made it come off as Toyo being lazy and just getting rid of 4 universe right off the bat to make the Tournament go by faster or because he was too lazy to give some of those 4 universes more attenaion. And it makes the tournament feel like less of a Battle Royale. They could have just had Kale go berserk and eliminate random people from random universes. Not just go clear one universe after another until 4 have been gone. You call all this stuff in the anime fluff and superfluous bullshit. But in an arc like the T.o.P, the main plot point is that it IS a Battle Royale. So even doing stuff like focusing on fights between randoms from differnt universe isn’t fluff because thats what you should expect from a Battle Royale. And the manga completely dropped the ball when it came to that. The Kale unnecessarily eliminating 4 universes when she could have been hyped up another way is a perfect evidence of why people saw that as rushing and saw the anime and what it did with the other universe characters as better and not just superfluous bullshit or fluff.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:30 am

TheOne wrote:I’m starting to thinking Bibidi might have had a connection to Moro.. I’m not exactly sure what the timeline was concerning Bibidi, but they’ve already shown that they’re definitely willing to “bend” some established facts that were in original DB and Z. I doubt that they ever said how old Bibidi was though.

Sorry for double posting guys, but here it is:

And here’s Herms’ Age Guide!
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10276&p=254399

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:55 am

TheOne wrote:
A character doesn’t take a step back because they make a mistake and the character development of Vegeta in this chapter(saving the Namekian) has nothing to do with him being arrogant when he fights. That’s a character flaw but it’s not the most important part of his growth.

Characters don’t need to be perfect!

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:18 am

Moro’s ability to sense people sensing him is a pretty game changing ability if used right. Think about it, they cannot track him without giving themselves away. If they have to run from him, they cannot risk trying to pinpoint his location. If he runs, they cannot catch Moro off guard for the same reason.

On another note maybe this arc will expands on their god ki powers. I’ve often felt Goku and Vegeta don’t use it to its fullest and only for battle. Especially with the stuff SSG Goku has pulled off now and then.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:34 am

I am just hoping raw power isn’t enough to beat Moro but I know I am probably getting my hopes up there.

Still obviously Vegeta has more power to beat Moro so there does seem to be something Moro can do that power isn’t enough. I just hope it lives up to my expectations.