"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TKA
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by TKA » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:40 am

Noitsnothim wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:01 pm I'm glad there's a discussion about the anatomy problems when it comes to DragonBall characters in the manga of 'Super'
lots of people have point out that Toyotaro has a lot of problems (from tracing/paying too many homages to the way he draws fights/Anatomy) I noticed that if you point these flaws out to him he'll block you on Twitter (I believe he uses that the most)

the guy isn't a fan of Criticism from worldwide DragonBall fans and he'll silence anyone who brings up his problems which isn't good
I missed this post.

This fan entitlement that persists in various franchises is disturbing, annoying and deplorable. You being a "Dragonball fan" does in no way entitle you any kind of interaction with anyone who works on Dragonball. These people don't have to engage with you, and they certainly don't owe you anything. He can, and should block anyone who bothers him.

As Tite Kubo put it a decade ago in a tweet, and I'm paraphrasing here, "As a fan, your role is to decide to read what I write or not. Your role is not to try to change me or my work."

I've never understood why people tag celebrities or reply to their social media posts unsolicited. At best it's an annoyance, and at worst it's harassment. Toyotaro's social media is his personal space, so to flood that with your complaining about his job is asinine.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:38 pm

Forced Spirit Fission is a very interesting ability that adds some much needed Hax abilities to Vegeta. But there are some much needed questions about it.

We know he can split apart metamoran and potara fusions as stated by piccolo last chapter, and Anilaza mechanical fusion is more than likely on the table. But he mentioned that he could split Piccolo aswell.

This got me thinking since Piccolos type of absorption is different from someone like Buu. It seems with Namekian absorption the person absorbed no longer exists and parts of their personality merge with the original, as seen by piccolo being so heart broken about Buu killing all the humans.

So could Vegeta Punch Zamasu’s Spirit out of Goku Black. It’d basically just leave Goku’s body a corpse.

And if so could he punch someone like Ginyu out of someones body. Not to mention it’s implied by Toyotaro in his drawings that the body Ginyu is in during the Frieza saga isn’t his original.

And we see Vegeta use the technique on Yardrat and he had his hands out implying he could do it from long range.

And in the context of Versus Debates, could he use it to punch the Nine Tails out of Naruto?

Just a lot of interesting questions when you look deep into this ability.

Incarnate
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Incarnate » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:24 pm

DiscountDabi wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:38 pm It seems with Namekian absorption the person absorbed no longer exists and parts of their personality merge with the original, as seen by piccolo being so heart broken about Buu killing all the humans.
Not really. It's just like potara/metamoran fusion except without the timelimit and appearance change.
DiscountDabi wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:38 pm So could Vegeta Punch Zamasu’s Spirit out of Goku Black. It’d basically just leave Goku’s body a corpse.
Probably not, considering Zamas' spirit is the only one present inside of Goku's body and has basically became one with it as if it were his own body.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:44 pm

TKA wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:40 am
Noitsnothim wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:01 pm I'm glad there's a discussion about the anatomy problems when it comes to DragonBall characters in the manga of 'Super'
lots of people have point out that Toyotaro has a lot of problems (from tracing/paying too many homages to the way he draws fights/Anatomy) I noticed that if you point these flaws out to him he'll block you on Twitter (I believe he uses that the most)

the guy isn't a fan of Criticism from worldwide DragonBall fans and he'll silence anyone who brings up his problems which isn't good
I missed this post.

This fan entitlement that persists in various franchises is disturbing, annoying and deplorable. You being a "Dragonball fan" does in no way entitle you any kind of interaction with anyone who works on Dragonball. These people don't have to engage with you, and they certainly don't owe you anything. He can, and should block anyone who bothers him.

As Tite Kubo put it a decade ago in a tweet, and I'm paraphrasing here, "As a fan, your role is to decide to read what I write or not. Your role is not to try to change me or my work."

I've never understood why people tag celebrities or reply to their social media posts unsolicited. At best it's an annoyance, and at worst it's harassment. Toyotaro's social media is his personal space, so to flood that with your complaining about his job is asinine.
Thank You the Western fandom can be so fricking rude

The fact that people think Toyotaro needs to acknowledge their criticism that he didn’t ask for is pure arrogance

Toyotaro has editors and Toriyama looking over his work. He doesn’t need Western fans telling him how to draw manga.

That’s not to say people can’t be critical but you don’t need to tag the manga-ka in your criticism. How would you like it if you worked hard on something and some random stranger started telling you you aren’t doing a good enough job?

He has every right to block people who engage him in this way.

Noitsnothim
Regular

Post by Noitsnothim » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:20 pm

Kinokima wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:44 pm
TKA wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:40 am

I missed this post.

Thank You the Western fandom can be so fricking rude

The fact that people think Toyotaro needs to acknowledge their criticism that he didn’t ask for is pure arrogance

Toyotaro has editors and Toriyama looking over his work. He doesn’t need Western fans telling him how to draw manga.

That’s not to say people can’t be critical but you don’t need to tag the manga-ka in your criticism. How would you like it if you worked hard on something and some random stranger started telling you you aren’t doing a good enough job?

He has every right to block people who engage him in this way.
Chill lol I'm just reporting what I'm seeing

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:37 am

So hyped for the drafts tomorrow! I hope for lots of plot important dialogue between Moro and Merus.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Moro ever mentioned GoDs or Angels during his entire run so far. We have no idea whether his deity knowledge ends at Kaioshins

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:11 pm

Xeogran wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:37 am So hyped for the drafts tomorrow! I hope for lots of plot important dialogue between Moro and Merus.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Moro ever mentioned GoDs or Angels during his entire run so far. We have no idea whether his deity knowledge ends at Kaioshins
He did say something along the lines of also achieving the power of the gods to Omen Goku. He might not know much about them, but he seemed to know at least how strong they are suppose to be.

Femme Fatale Kikaza
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Femme Fatale Kikaza » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:15 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:11 pm
Xeogran wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:37 am So hyped for the drafts tomorrow! I hope for lots of plot important dialogue between Moro and Merus.

He did say something along the lines of also achieving the power of the gods to Omen Goku. He might not know much about them, but he seemed to know at least how strong they are suppose to be.
If he knew who Beerus was, I think we would've heard something by now. Even if he's heard of him, I have the feeling if Beerus ever entered the fight in a later chapter, Moro might try to flee because the DESTROYER GOD set his sights on him.
The Dorkie and Ditzy member of the Trio! I'm as cute and as airheaded as you can get!

Femme Fatale Kikaza
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Femme Fatale Kikaza » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:16 pm

From the drafts it looks like Merus made Moro bleed, but he's likely suppressing his full power in an attempt to distract Moro for Dende.
The Dorkie and Ditzy member of the Trio! I'm as cute and as airheaded as you can get!

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:25 pm

The drafts for this months chapter:

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:02 am

Looks like Merus is taking this seriously. Well then, goodbye.

Femme Fatale Kikaza
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Femme Fatale Kikaza » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:11 am

I swear Merus better not be dumb enough to let his neck get grabbed....

Also from what Merus said upon being translated, he managed to get the Z team to a safe location( most likely to get healed)

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:36 am

Is it me or the panels/paneling are looking better in this one

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:17 am

Merus is just there to buy time for Goku and the others to get back on their feet, and for Goku to "complete" UI his training. It looks like we're heading to the ending I predicted, Goku fights Moro while Vegeta works on separating him and 7-3 from the background.

Femme Fatale Kikaza
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Femme Fatale Kikaza » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:25 am

Matches Malone wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:17 am Merus is just there to buy time for Goku and the others to get back on their feet, and for Goku to "complete" UI his training. It looks like we're heading to the ending I predicted, Goku fights Moro while Vegeta works on separating him and 7-3 from the background.
Complete his training with who anyway? Merus seems a bit busy. Maybe Whis, but still a bit iffy given we don't know where the hell he is.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:36 am

Femme Fatale Kikaza wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:25 am
Matches Malone wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:17 am Merus is just there to buy time for Goku and the others to get back on their feet, and for Goku to "complete" UI his training. It looks like we're heading to the ending I predicted, Goku fights Moro while Vegeta works on separating him and 7-3 from the background.
Complete his training with who anyway? Merus seems a bit busy. Maybe Whis, but still a bit iffy given we don't know where the hell he is.
He might mean complete as in get it right this time. When Goku fought the first time, he went against Merus' word and used too much power, something he won't do a second time.

Noitsnothim
Regular

Post by Noitsnothim » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:59 am

Lord Beerus wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:25 pm The drafts for this months chapter:
So crazy But I also predicted a few tidbits from this back in June in a Google Doc I created (my own version of the ending to this saga)
in there it includes:
- Merus arriving on Earth in his Galactic Patrol uniform
- Jaco surprised to see agent Merus so last minute
- Moro unaware that Merus is a "God"
- Merus fighting Moro with his staff in order to not use his true power

the only thing that is yet to happen is Moro grabbing Merus' neck gaining his power/abilities thus causing Goku & vegeta to team up in their all out forms (UI Omen and Evolution of Blue)

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:48 am

Seems like it’s heading towards Goku attaining Ultra Instinct somehow. Although it’s surely not going to be this straightforward. Someone between Merus or Goku will probably get his neck grabbed.

I could see this ending with Moro getting Merus’ power and with Ultra Instinct Goku and Vegeta teaming up to defuse and beat him.
It’s also possible that Goku will be the one neck grabbed and that Merus will be forced to go full power to handle an UI Moro.

I also wonder why Toyotaro decided to have two healers such as Krillin and Dende come to the battlefield.

Either way, I have the feeling this arc will go on for longer than we thought.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Locust
Beyond Newbie

Post by Locust » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:48 am

pepd wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:36 am Is it me or the panels/paneling are looking better in this one
Not just you, they do look a lot more appealing than usual, placement gives a very dynamic feeling
Kudos to Toyotaro
"I just wanna punch god in the face"
My English can be weak, please forgive mistakes/confusingly phrased sentences
Letterboxd

Femme Fatale Kikaza
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Femme Fatale Kikaza » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:07 am

I have my doubts Merus will let himself get grabbed. He's not stupid enough for that to work.

Besides, how the fuck would the Z fighters be able to counter that even fully healed? It would take MUI and fully powered Vegeta not getting hit for him to be defused, and that's a long shot. Angel powers would mean Moro can probably do crazy shit, Beerus would need to kill him as Moro existing could cause problems.