"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:55 am

I'm not sure it's just some banter between Beerus and Whis, although that's what was going on, because DiscountDabi pointed that those wearing the earring have been seen using certain attacks the others didn't. Also, seeing that in the anime the same hakaishin do not have one, it maybe something the manga has been quietly aiming at since before the ToP.

Why in EoZ Vegeta doesn't wear one? aside from the fact that it may probably be something Toyo just came up with, Geets might have left it at home when he is chilling or taking part in silly tournaments. Or Bulma plainly told him to remove that awful thing :lol: or maybe it was Bra, it could end up being a nod to GT.

Magnificent Ponta wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:42 am
Koitsukai wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:13 amBut like another poster said, it wouldn't make sense if 7 hakaishin lacked hakai, which seems to be THE hakaishin ability, maybe it's about who mastered the full technique, using hakai without destroying the target. Vegeta can use it in battle, maybe Sidra can't.
You could potentially add Arack (Universe 5) and Heles (Universe 2) to the mix as wearers - Arack doesn't have ears, but instead wears some sort of rings over his, erm, whiskers, which might count as his version of this apparel; I don't think we've ever seen Heles's ears from under her hairdo in the Manga, so she may also wear one. It's probably likelier she does, now that the earring is 'a thing'.

So the ones confirmed not to wear the earring at this point are Iwne (Universe 1), Mosco/Mule (Universe 3), Quitela (Universe 4), Sidra (Universe 9), and Geene (Universe 12). I think it's interesting that most of the confirmed 'not-wearers' are sets of twins (1-12 and 4-9), which may have some significance; Mosco/Mule makes sense on his own as Mule doesn't have ears, and it doesn't make a great deal of sense to have his robot outer shell wearing an earring, either.

At this stage, I'd guess that it seems likelier to just be a simple question of choice whether they wear it or not.
Yes Arak has some jewels, one could be the earring, and Helles hides her ears. Also Moscow was only seen twice, from a side preventing to see his left ear, and when his universe was erased the art design might've hid it.

This could all be easily retconned for all of them, with Quitela explaining it: oh, we don't wear that stupid earring like you do, BEERRRRRRUUUSSSUUU.
When Beerus talked about the technique of the hakaishin, I thought he was talking about all or most of them, not just a few of them.

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:49 am

Even if we assume that not all GoDs have mastered Hakai, according to Beerus the earring is merely a symbol of those who can use the technique, and I am sure all of them can (after all, Beerus mentions in this chapter the fact that this is the signature technique of the GoDs, even if the degree of mastery among them is not the same).

Anyway, as Ponta said, the use of this accessory is more likely to be just an aesthetic choice (there are GoDs that don't even have ears to wear this earring). And thematically it served to solidify Vegeta as Beerus' student (even though in the middle of that there is a competitive spirit between him and Whis)

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:29 am

Yuji wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:17 am
caire wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:11 am

I am aware of the application of critical theories to fictional media and I do agree that those schools of criticism are absolutely valid to apply to dragon ball. However, something that I've found very often in the field that I work in (which is academic) is a holier-than-thou attitude that this comment absolutely smacks of: "I haven't been directly affected by this issue, but nevertheless you poor silly women are just too ~emotional~ to understand it - you simply have to look at it critically!"

As I said, those schools of thought absolutely should be considered and applied, including to incidents like this, and it makes for a genuinely interesting critique of the series. But right now, the case is merely that we just get tired of seeing this shit, and considering the past few years we're tired in general. That may not be an academic or unemotional viewpoint, but it doesn't make the point any less valid.
Now this is just making assumptions on my identity and the things I've experienced or have been affected by. I don't think I've mentioned once in my post history my upbringing or identity, which really just bolsters my point. Like I said, you're free to do whatever you want, as I am free to express my distaste for moralistic rants that bring more harm to the causes you're trying to promote. Optics is important and going on unhinged, pseudo-intellectual tirades every time something slightly problematic happens in media, sometimes going as far as shoehorning unrelated topics into every discussion because you feel an understandable yet off-putting attachment to said issues (see Julie when she talks about trans issues), isn't good optics to anyone who doesn't already agree with you (and it isn't even good optics for the people who do, case in point: myself).

I don't know where you work/study at or which field, but in my experience academia has been the exact opposite. Still elitist, but not in the way you describe it. Now this is the last post I make on the subject because my original intent was precisely not to derail the thread and I've ended up contributing to doing that.
I wouldn't have to repeat myself so much if people (usually only cishet men) didn't demand I answer for my criticisms. Then again, I really don't have to pay any of you any attention at all but I'd like to think I could maybe spread some good by replying. It just so happens that I'm as flawed a person as any and can't always do good.

Like, queer and feminist theories are long-established manners of analysis in media. I'm not doing anything new, other than just being one of the few people with different life experiences than the 99% of cishet men who use this forum.*shrug*

I guess I could go back to posting like I did pre-transition (2006-2018), where I was an insufferable and heartless piece of shit who didn't believe in anything and thought life wasn't worth living...but that me nearly killed herself so I think I'll just say "lolno" to that. 😆

Ugh, writing this post in general leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

GalaxyBusterBuu
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GalaxyBusterBuu » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:27 am

Freeza has probably dealt with people trying to usurp him for years, I won't be surprised if he has some Platinum Freeza power up so that he doesn't get stomped thanks to training he did in the coming months while the GPS was happening.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:20 pm

The chapter was fine, obviously mostly a "Set Up" piece for the real deal next month. It's interesting though, The Heeters are thoroughly manipulating Granolah, yet when Macki and Oil went to Earth, even though they got what they wanted, they didn't come off any less bone headed than Pilaf and his crew, not sure why I felt this way.

I like that Beerus is seeing Vegeta as his pupil even if its sort of for selfish bragging rights against Whis. Makes me question their dynamic though, This is the only duo where the "Attendant" is actually stronger than the main guy yet Beerus has gone on record legit threatening to "Destroy" Whis, even if he didnt really mean it, I think its odd considering he knows full well what Angels are capable of. Him threatening Whis might've just been a BOG Movie one off thing though I'm not sure.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:22 pm

GalaxyBusterBuu wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:27 am Freeza has probably dealt with people trying to usurp him for years, I won't be surprised if he has some Platinum Freeza power up so that he doesn't get stomped thanks to training he did in the coming months while the GPS was happening.
I do think though that Vegeta Mentioning Frieza Attaining a Newer form was foreshadowing of some sort.

I will say this though, since Golden Frieza is kinda supposed to be Frieza’s Mocking of Super Saiyan it would be interesting to go down a similar route with his next form. Perhaps Mirroring Super Saiyan God or Blue. Or Maybe Ultra Instinct.

Hey if anyone is good with Photoshop, take an Image of Golden Frieza but change the Purple Highlights to be a kind of Ruby Red. I wanna see what it looks like.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:43 pm

Maybe it's not the earing that's special, but the material it's made of? Maybe it's indestructible? If so, all the Haikaishin have it in some form.

GalaxyBusterBuu
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GalaxyBusterBuu » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:13 pm

Pretty sure all GoD can do Hakai(it'd be weird if they couldn't given their jobs lol), Beerus probably just wanted to mark Vegeta as his student or something around those lines.

Though I think its safe to assume Freeza has some secret form. It's been a bit and he's been siting in the background during the GPS. He's probably training because he's trying to build back his empire and you know, it's not the first time people have tried to kill him. Wonder what the Heeters plan on doing with Gas seeing as he's pretty meh at his current power level. They'll have to give him a boost if they even want him to last five seconds against Goku, Vegeta or Granolah, let alone Freeza.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:42 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:29 am

I wouldn't have to repeat myself so much if people (usually only cishet men) didn't demand I answer for my criticisms. Then again, I really don't have to pay any of you any attention at all but I'd like to think I could maybe spread some good by replying. It just so happens that I'm as flawed a person as any and can't always do good.

Like, queer and feminist theories are long-established manners of analysis in media. I'm not doing anything new, other than just being one of the few people with different life experiences than the 99% of cishet men who use this forum.*shrug*

I guess I could go back to posting like I did pre-transition (2006-2018), where I was an insufferable and heartless piece of shit who didn't believe in anything and thought life wasn't worth living...but that me nearly killed herself so I think I'll just say "lolno" to that. 😆

Nah, leave that past you in the past.

I, for one, join these kinds of groups to see different perspectives on whatever it is the board is about. Your perspective and insight are welcome, and regardless of the dismissive tone some users post with, what you post is invaluable.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:25 pm

TKA wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:42 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:29 am

Nah, leave that past you in the past.

I, for one, join these kinds of groups to see different perspectives on whatever it is the board is about. Your perspective and insight are welcome, and regardless of the dismissive tone some users post with, what you post is invaluable.
Thank you so much sweetie. 😭😭😭
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:13 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:55 am Why in EoZ Vegeta doesn't wear one? aside from the fact that it may probably be something Toyo just came up with, Geets might have left it at home when he is chilling or taking part in silly tournaments.
For all we know, Beerus could even be dead by then. Or maybe the entire GoD system gets abolished in some kind of an epic all out war. There's pretty much free reign in regards to these characters since they didn't appear in EoZ so they're the only ones in danger, so to speak.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:16 pm

Remember folks. Back in chapter 69, in order for Vegeta to go beyond and gain more power, Beerus told him he had to let go of the guilt of the Saiyans. I'm wondering if Granolah being a victim of the Saiyan's destruction would hinder Vegeta's new power.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:11 pm

Miracles wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:16 pm Remember folks. Back in chapter 69, in order for Vegeta to go beyond and gain more power, Beerus told him he had to let go of the guilt of the Saiyans. I'm wondering if Granolah being a victim of the Saiyan's destruction would hinder Vegeta's new power.

I am actually hoping for something like this. It would add more depth then the typical Vegeta boasts and then gets beat up formula

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:54 am

I just wanna say, I don't think Granola is gonna win this fight. Goku and Vegeta have trained for months while Granola (as far as we know) did not do anything. Like we discussed earlier, Granola's power boost is gonna be the crux of his character development.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

GalaxyBusterBuu
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GalaxyBusterBuu » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:57 am

PurestEvil wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:54 am I just wanna say, I don't think Granola is gonna win this fight. Goku and Vegeta have trained for months while Granola (as far as we know) did not do anything. Like we discussed earlier, Granola's power boost is gonna be the crux of his character development.
He'll probably have some abilities to keep him from being defeated. Don't be surprised if Granolah has some power that can put Goku and Vegeta on the ropes thanks to his wish that he hasn't displayed. I doubt he'll win, but it'll be a massive pain in the ass to get him down.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:15 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:54 am I just wanna say, I don't think Granola is gonna win this fight. Goku and Vegeta have trained for months while Granola (as far as we know) did not do anything. Like we discussed earlier, Granola's power boost is gonna be the crux of his character development.
Agreed. Unless there's something more to the wish, that was not asked for or told, like it updates Granolah on the ranking whenever somebody surpasses him, he should not remain the top dog... that is if Goku and Vegeta actually grew stronger and not just "better".

Also, I prefer if Granolah lost because I don't want another mini-arc with Goku and Vegeta taking off to train some more like in the previous arc. It would halt the nice pace the arc is having.

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:26 pm

I think that Goku and Vegeta having a long training period this early into the arc means that Goku and Vegeta are probably going to win this fight. Not sure where the story will go after that, but it probably involves Gas becoming stronger via the planet cereal Dragon Balls.

Come to think of it: what previous arcs have had a character go thorugh more than 1 prolonged training period? The only one that comes to my mind immediately is the whole android/cell arc having 3 years of training to prepare for the androids and then a further 1 year of rosat training after losing to them.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:28 pm

GalaxyBusterBuu wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:57 am
He'll probably have some abilities to keep him from being defeated. Don't be surprised if Granolah has some power that can put Goku and Vegeta on the ropes thanks to his wish that he hasn't displayed. I doubt he'll win, but it'll be a massive pain in the ass to get him down.
I don't expect any sort of clear cut victories, either. I am certain that Granola's hakai (I think he has it?) will throw the pair off. This is the first fight of the arc, anyways, only until the end will we see how things play out.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:25 pm

GalaxyBusterBuu wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:27 am Freeza has probably dealt with people trying to usurp him for years, I won't be surprised if he has some Platinum Freeza power up so that he doesn't get stomped thanks to training he did in the coming months while the GPS was happening.
What is GPS?

GalaxyBusterBuu
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GalaxyBusterBuu » Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:29 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:25 pm
What is GPS?
Galactic Prisoner Saga.