"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by DiscountDabi » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:27 pm

Sikat wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:19 pm
Jack Bz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:09 pm But I think it's very very clear that SSBe and SSB Kaioken have very direct adaptations by Toyo in the manga.
No.

Goku never uses the technique Kaioken in the manga, and Vegeta’s SSB from the ToP is not the anime exclusive eyesore transformation.
Given how it was introduced, when it was introduced, How its drawn, how it is in relation to Goku, and all that on top of the V-Jump Scan.

Yes, this is clearly supposed to be the Manga Version of Blue Evolution. There is litterally mountains of evidence. The only real thing you have going for it is that it doesn't look like the anime version (Thank God)

I can give you some leway with Blue Kaioken cause it doesn't look at all the same and its never used again. But Vegeta's form in the Manga is clearly blue evolution.

Are you gonna say Mastered Ultra Instinct in the Manga because the manga version doesn't have an aura.

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Thani » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:13 pm

DiscountDabi wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:27 pm
Sikat wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:19 pm
Jack Bz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:09 pm But I think it's very very clear that SSBe and SSB Kaioken have very direct adaptations by Toyo in the manga.
No.

Goku never uses the technique Kaioken in the manga, and Vegeta’s SSB from the ToP is not the anime exclusive eyesore transformation.
I can give you some leway with Blue Kaioken cause it doesn't look at all the same and its never used again. But Vegeta's form in the Manga is clearly blue evolution.
Goku uses it again against Moro-73. It's when he blows the wizard's arm off with the kamehameha.
It's a blink and you miss it moment, but it's there.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:18 pm

Hi, folks. Here is a message that could have been posted instead of some of what you can read in the prior posts:

"After going back and forth a few times, I understand that we disagree on the interpretation of the underlying source material. I also see that we likewise disagree on the interpretation and authority of the supplementary information included alongside the source material's publication. I recognize and have reviewed what you have presented regarding your interpretation, but I ultimately do just feel that strongly about what I'm seeing that I can't fully agree with you. This truly is a silly situation, and I recognize that we are expressing very strong feelings about tidbits that are very unimportant in the grand scheme of things. It's wonderful that the franchise provides us with the material to even have these discussions in the first place, even if we both may wish there was more clarity over some of the minutia."

A few additional guidelines, recommendations, and suggestions:
  • Do not attempt to moderate. Instead, please continue to use the report tool built into every post. This is the best way to bring things to the attention of a moderator or administrator.
  • Recognize that the moderator reviewing a report will likely be looking at your own interactions and contributions, not just the ones you are reporting.
  • You are under no obligation to like or dislike any aspect of a piece of art / corporation production. You are, however, obligated to treat your fellow fans with kindness, empathy, and overall respect.
  • This is perhaps a bit more specific, but: Throwing shade at "interns" working on supplemental material is a transparent example of attempting to dismiss information that you yourself are demonstrating you do not fully understand. While it is of course unlikely that Toyotaro himself is writing and laying out the supplemental spreads, it is also extremely likely that he is perhaps extended the opportunity to at least give them a peek. Likewise, it is also extremely likely that his direct editor Victory Uchida, as well as V-Jump editor-in-chief (and Dragon Ball Room head) Akio Iyoku, have at least a passing familiarity what what is being published each issue with regard to the story they supervise that is printed in the exact same publication and have a vested interest in guiding and championing.
Following the posting of this message, additional review will be done on prior posts. Account strikes and/or temporary bans may be issued.

As we have done a couple times in the past, we will be temporarily locking this thread to provide folks the opportunity to review this specific administrative message/request, to review the overall community guidelines, and to in turn reevaluate their goals as being members of this community.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:47 pm

Sikat wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:07 am
pepd wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:35 pm It wouldn't be the first time tho, we already had SSBe, kaioken, and various PLs.
The manga doesn’t have SSBE or SSB Kaioken.
I know. But it does have a somehow equivalent that is open to interpret as the same form if you really want to or are only familiar with the anime; they even named it the same officially, like they will most likely name the new form "Hakaishin/GoD Vegeta" in supplementary material, games, etc.
What I was saying is just that I hope that in the manga itself they leave it at a "kind of different god-ki" or whatever, that is enough for people to interpret what they want if they want to, and don't go off like with the aura and acknowledgement of SSBe, and the mention of kaioken when describing the stressed SSB.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:20 pm

For what it’s worth, I used to tend toward calling Vegeta’s manga form his unnamed Blue power-up, or similarly evasive names, since it’s never referred to using any specific vocabulary in the series, but ... it isn’t worth it.

The anime form isn’t named in its own series either—the “Evolved” or “Evolution” name comes solely from ancillary material. And while those ancillary sources have only ever appended it to the anime design, it seems pretty pedantic to not also use it as the shorthand for the form that debuted in the manga in the equivalent scene, and with the equivalent properties, but just happened to have a different take on the design.

Either it’s his unnamed extra form, or it’s Blue Evolution because we all know what that means and it allows us to have a conversation.

I’m not sure where this all started, but if it was with a conversation on whether or not there’s been cross-pollination between the anime and manga (in both directions) in Super, I think ... undoubtedly there has been, and you could probably consider Vegeta’s Blue form one of those instances of pollination from the anime into the manga—though that doesn’t mean the core idea wasn’t used more successfully in the latter

That said, I don’t really see Vegeta’s new form in Chapter 74 bearing much similarity to Toppo’s transformation in the anime, if that was the other upshot—similarities seem to start and end at involving God of Destruction-related powers, but maybe that was a spark of an idea. Who knows? It doesn’t really affect how the manga reads as a stand-alone either way.

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:28 am

Cipher wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:20 pm For what it’s worth, I used to tend toward calling Vegeta’s manga form his unnamed Blue power-up, or similarly evasive names, since it’s never referred to using any specific vocabulary in the series, but ... it isn’t worth it.

The anime form isn’t named in its own series either—the “Evolved” or “Evolution” name comes solely from ancillary material. And while those ancillary sources have only ever appended it to the anime design, it seems pretty pedantic to not also use it as the shorthand for the form that debuted in the manga in the equivalent scene, and with the equivalent properties, but just happened to have a different take on the design.

Either it’s his unnamed extra form, or it’s Blue Evolution because we all know what that means and it allows us to have a conversation.

I’m not sure where this all started, but if it was with a conversation on whether or not there’s been cross-pollination between the anime and manga (in both directions) in Super, I think ... undoubtedly there has been, and you could probably consider Vegeta’s Blue form one of those instances of pollination from the anime into the manga—though that doesn’t mean the core idea wasn’t used more successfully in the latter
Agree on the adoption of the nomenclature (tho I use "SSBe" for the reasons I'll mention), but I don't think I agree on that it is the same only with a different design. While manga SSBe is explicitly differentiated from regular SSB in-universe, that doesn't occur until the next arc, the arc in which many anime fans will be joining in. In the manga, the moment in which Vegeta has the revelation that MnG is not for him and decides to evolve in his own way, is mainly just that; the aura reads as a minor variation following the ki burst, and is essentially the already present sparks covering him entirely. The difference in both versions of the "SSBkk" is even bigger
That said, I don’t really see Vegeta’s new form in Chapter 74 bearing much similarity to Toppo’s transformation in the anime, if that was the other upshot—similarities seem to start and end at involving God of Destruction-related powers, but maybe that was a spark of an idea. Who knows? It doesn’t really affect how the manga reads as a stand-alone either way.
Until now, there is no such thing as "hakai energy", but I guess its differentiation or even explicit naming of "hakai energy" wouldn't change much without more specific exposition on the matter.

What would change how it reads, is the nature of the transformation. Saiyajin or Hakaishin? On one hand; the saiyan past and nature has been mentioned to be related to Vegeta learning the technique, mentioned when transforming, and such thing as "hakaishin form" doesn't exist two arc after the introduction of multiple hakaishins and a cantidate; on the other, there is the idea and expectation of many fans -like there was with SSBE- of there being hakaishin forms and this being one.
Last edited by pepd on Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:37 am

Cipher wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:20 pm That said, I don’t really see Vegeta’s new form in Chapter 74 bearing much similarity to Toppo’s transformation in the anime, if that was the other upshot—similarities seem to start and end at involving God of Destruction-related powers, but maybe that was a spark of an idea. Who knows? It doesn’t really affect how the manga reads as a stand-alone either way.
I'd say the similarities are more than that. Not only is it a form with god of destruction powers, it also seems to be directly based on a mindset/letting go of thoughts that hold you back. Vegeta had to let go of his guilt about the atrocities of the saiyan race and focus only on destruction, and Toppo had to similarly disregard his ideals about Justice. Both seem like you need to adopt a certain mindset of a God of Destruction, but with Toppo it's framed more as a negative thing overall. But Vegeta seems pretty gleeful about getting to cause Granolah's race to be extinct so maybe the manga's heading that direction too...

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:32 am

Just gonna quickly note that although the V Jump "guide" refers to Goku's form as Blue Kaioken, its description specifically says it merely uses the principles of Kaioken just like the manga.

I don't think there's any real disputing that this is Toyotaro's take on the anime's forms, but it'd also be a mistake to argue that they're exactly the same. Goku simply overexerts his Blue form in the manga while Vegeta acquires a new aura with no visible change beyond that.

As for Vegeta's new form, it probably will be called "God of Destruction Mode" or something; the character beat here is similar enough to Toppo's transformation.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:41 am

pepd wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:28 am What would change how it reads, is the nature of the transformation. Saiyajin or Hakaishin? On one hand; the saiyan past and nature has been mentioned to be related to Vegeta learning the technique, mentioned when transforming, and such thing as "hakaishin form" doesn't exist two arc after the introduction of multiple hakaishins and a cantidate; on the other, there is the idea and expectation of many fans -like there was with SSBE- of there being hakaishin forms and this being one.
I suppose I don’t think Vegeta having this form and Toppo not having had something similar when we met him in the manga really feel at odds.

Perfectly easy to imagine that such abilities for Toppo, if they’re further hinted to be core ones for all Gods of Destruction, lay further down the line.

At this point the physical elements of the transformation could also be expanded on as being (and if I had to hazard a guess, probably are) Saiyan ones as well, as you said.

So I guess if the question is, “Does this feel like it’s binging on callbacks to another version of the series?”, my answer is a genuine “no.” But I guess I can’t rule out that it might have been an inspiration, as the two versions have lifted from and recontextualized elements from each other before.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:30 am

Toppo became taller and much more muscular in the anime, and gained those weird chest marks, so Vegeta’s design is not inspired by it. But the idea behind God of Destruction being a transformation is there and the mentality required to achieve it is the same in both the anime and manga (to focus on destruction and nothing else) so yeah I would safely say that Toyotaro took inspiration from the animated version as it’s possible that Toppo’s form had some input from Toriyama for example (not the design).
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:49 am

emperior wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:30 am Toppo became taller and much more muscular in the anime, and gained those weird chest marks, so Vegeta’s design is not inspired by it. But the idea behind God of Destruction being a transformation is there and the mentality required to achieve it is the same in both the anime and manga (to focus on destruction and nothing else) so yeah I would safely say that Toyotaro took inspiration from the animated version as it’s possible that Toppo’s form had some input from Toriyama for example (not the design).
Toppo's makes sense though. His body physically manifests in as more muscular and imposing. It would be interesting to see Vegeta's muscle mass double in size or get strange markings or something.

Melkaniator J

Post by Melkaniator J » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:08 am

zekken1 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:29 am Lets just hope that this form never makes it into the anime
Anime forms might not get into the manga, but I bet all manga new forms have to get into the anime.

Subtypes like perfect Blue aren't necessary though. In the anime, blue form didn't had any problems until they remembered, and even then they ignored those once again.
zekken1 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:29 am like why does Toyo feel the need to do another transformation?
You have confirmation that this is from Toyotaro? The manga says the story is from Akira, but every time someone doesn't like something they blame Toyotaro.

Anyway, the answer should be obvious, UI is the form Goku acquired under Whis's training, this new form Vegeta acquired was under Beerus' training.
zekken1 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:29 am what happens to blue now?
The same thing that happened to Goku's blue? :roll:
zekken1 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:29 am if anything give him Ultra Instinct since its an already established form.
#1) UI doesn't suit Vegeta at all. I'm glad they didn't altered Vegeta to wield it, it would've been so forced.
#2) Having Vegeta again gain the same form as Goku? Ugh, that would've been so underwhelming and repetitive.
zekken1 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:29 am Why clutter the zeitgeist even more how will this look for new fans.
New forms is the way of DB, why are you acting like this is new?
zekken1 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:29 am Dragon Ball Manga isn't really the definitive version for most fans anyway
DB manga is the definitive version for extremely obvious reasons.
I always said the Toei Bardock wasn't canon, most disagree, then time proved me right and I had a I TOLD YOU SO fest.

In the case of DB Super manga, the thing is less obvious, but the hints are all over the place. Anyway, Akira, doesn't care, he didn't added Goku's SSBKK, nor Vegeta's SSBE into the story of DBS: Broly after all. So, regardless what "most fans" wishful thinking, Akira will just do his thing.
zekken1 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:29 am so as they've done before just please stray away from the manga and just add better rewrites to both the Moro stuff & Granolah.
As they've done before? You mean like with SS BS Trunks?
Jiren's sudden character assassination?
Goku explaining SSB's weakness to then just completely ignore it in the next episode?
Goku Black's out of nowhere pain into power ability that appeared and later on disappeared without any explanation?

The manga tells the story better, the anime goes into cool over making sense.
DBS anime is a fan service series that delivers irrelevant dialogue, inconsistent writing, and lazy designs.

The DB manga never had so many mistakes, nor those were this constant.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:56 am

Jack Bz wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:37 am
Cipher wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:20 pm That said, I don’t really see Vegeta’s new form in Chapter 74 bearing much similarity to Toppo’s transformation in the anime, if that was the other upshot—similarities seem to start and end at involving God of Destruction-related powers, but maybe that was a spark of an idea. Who knows? It doesn’t really affect how the manga reads as a stand-alone either way.
I'd say the similarities are more than that. Not only is it a form with god of destruction powers, it also seems to be directly based on a mindset/letting go of thoughts that hold you back. Vegeta had to let go of his guilt about the atrocities of the saiyan race and focus only on destruction, and Toppo had to similarly disregard his ideals about Justice. Both seem like you need to adopt a certain mindset of a God of Destruction, but with Toppo it's framed more as a negative thing overall. But Vegeta seems pretty gleeful about getting to cause Granolah's race to be extinct so maybe the manga's heading that direction too...

I really don’t think Vegeta is actually gleeful about causing Granolah’s race to be extinct. The person who is Gleeful about causing a race to be extinct is Granolah who doesn’t care that Goku & Vegeta may not be responsible he wants his revenge

It may very well be Vegeta means what he says and actually plans to kill Granolah but I still wouldn’t take what he is saying at face value. It doesn’t sound much different to what Beerus said to Vegeta when he was training him.

Also the difference between Toppo and Vegeta is Toppo threw away everything that was important to him like his sense of Justice. Here Beerus is telling Vegeta he needs to let go of stray thoughts that have nothing to do with him and focus solely on destruction. It sounds to me that is he is telling him to embrace a side of himself he let go. But that doesn’t necessarily mean he is throwing everything away like Toppo did. Maybe there are similarities but I don’t think we are meant to view it as the same thing.

Of course maybe Vegeta will have fo find a balance between destruction and the rest of the things that are important to him. It’s also the case that in this fight Vegeta is able to completely let go. But there are going fo be future fights when he again has the weight of saving the planet/saving people where he may not be able to
Last edited by Kinokima on Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Marz
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Marz » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:01 pm

The only similarity between Vegeta e Toppo is that they both use powers related with Destroyers. Because as far as we know, the basis of Vegeta's transformation is the Destruction technique, just like the basis of Goku's silver hair transformation is Ultra Instinct. These are forms derived from Divine techniques.
Toppo's transformation is just a form that literally grants him all the powers of the Destroyers without him even having showed the ability to use them normally. They are very different situations
TheMikado wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:49 am Toppo's makes sense though. His body physically manifests in as more muscular and imposing. It would be interesting to see Vegeta's muscle mass double in size or get strange markings or something.
How does Toppo's form make sense though?

If anything, you can at least apply to Vegeta the same situation as Goku (who is the only one who uses Ultra Instinct through a transformation) and argue that divine techniques cause changes in Saiyans.

But with Toppo? He is called a God of Destruction after he transforms, so we have to assume that either all destroyers are permanently in transformed states or they also have this form (and for some reason, they get the same tattoos on their bodies that already appear on their costumes).

Soba Mask
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Soba Mask » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:47 pm

In the manga Toppo never transformed so I do not think we should take it into account here.

But if yes... I think Vegeta and him in the anime where really similar

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:49 pm

After the Granola arc wraps up I hope to see Pan-chan in the next arc. 😋
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:23 pm

So ... an interesting little wrinkle now is that unless this and the new movie are out of continuity with each other ... pretty good chance of this being the last pre-28th arc?

They’re chomping at its heels with Pan’s design in the next film, so I’m not sure I see committing to another two-year (real-time) arc in between.

They could always put more storylines before the movie’s timeskip too, but I have to imagine that would be too much of a letdown to draw in fans who want to see the story move forward.

Or maybe they can squeeze one more in there, but the writing seems to be increasingly on the wall that it has to either wrap up or make the jump.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:45 pm

Cipher wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:23 pm So ... an interesting little wrinkle now is that unless this and the new movie are out of continuity with each other ... pretty good chance of this being the last pre-28th arc?

They’re chomping at its heels with Pan’s design in the next film, so I’m not sure I see committing to another two-year (real-time) arc in between.

They could always put more storylines before the movie’s timeskip too, but I have to imagine that would be too much of a letdown to draw in fans who want to see the story move forward.

Or maybe they can squeeze one more in there, but the writing seems to be increasingly on the wall that it has to either wrap up or make the jump.
They could be doing two different things now. The comic keeps doing pre-Twenty-Eighth Tenka'ichi Budoukai and the films do post-Twenty-Eighth Tenka'ichi Budoukai. Or not. Who knows? Toriyama wrote Granola after he wrote this story so apparently he doesn't give a damn about going back and forth, which seems like a lot more thought on his part than I'd expect.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Marz
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Marz » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:55 pm

Toriyama became involved in the two manga arcs post-Broly after having already started writing the new film. Granola and Moro take place in a very tight time frame, there are only a few months between them, so maybe Toriyama wanted to write some stories in that period for the manga because after that the movie would already skip a few years

If the manga still continues after the movie, it would probably pick up from its ending, just like Toyotaro did with DBS Broly and then hopefully we'll start seeing stories set in the End of Z or some moment very close to it

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:45 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:45 pm They could be doing two different things now. The comic keeps doing pre-Twenty-Eighth Tenka'ichi Budoukai and the films do post-Twenty-Eighth Tenka'ichi Budoukai. Or not. Who knows? Toriyama wrote Granola after he wrote this story so apparently he doesn't give a damn about going back and forth, which seems like a lot more thought on his part than I'd expect.
I think keeping the manga set behind where current movies are, chronologically, would kind of be a death knell for it, and would suspect editorial would feel the same way.

Who knows though.

(As far as “more thought,” it’s probably just more that this film was written to work as a stand-alone adventure, and any necessary continuity upkeep, if it stays in line with the manga, could easily be done simply by working in a new form or technique where it’s relevant.)

Re: Timeline: Moro and Granolah (assuming no other major timeskips in the latter) eat up about half a year in-fiction. The Moro arc takes around two months and three weeks, and Granolah retrieves Seven-Three from Goichi some months after that. Then some time passes before he fights Goku and Vegeta (would have to reference those V-Jump issues again).