"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:34 pm

I'm happy they have "nerfed" MUI, it would have meant the end of Dragon Ball with Goku as the main character if he were on equal terms with the Grand Priest and Whis, something Toriyama has said he never intends to happen. Also not surprising since we see Whis use UI without changing appearance or exerting a massive aura like Goku does.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:55 pm

Grand Marshal 1 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:12 pm Look at Vegeta getting a new technique, get shitted on after successfully using it once and never re-utilizing it 😭🤣☠️
I mean he kept using SSBE or the manga equivalent of it after it was introduced in the TOP

What he learned on Yadrat helped bring down Moro and the verdict is still out if he will use it again

So this is already false

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:06 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:34 pm I'm happy they have "nerfed" MUI, it would have meant the end of Dragon Ball with Goku as the main character if he were on equal terms with the Grand Priest and Whis, something Toriyama has said he never intends to happen. Also not surprising since we see Whis use UI without changing appearance or exerting a massive aura like Goku does.
Funny Thing About that. While Ultra Instinct In the Anime has an Aura, In the Manga he has been consistently drawn without an aura. He has one in UI Omen but when in Full UI he has no aura in the manga. Which actually makes sense as to what Ultra Instinct is supposed to be.

I despise the scene in the anime with Goku getting Mad in Ultra Instinct. It is the blatant opposite of what the form is meant to be and if we are being honest points to the fact that Toei ignores core parts of the story if it makes it look cool.

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:08 pm

Kinokima wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:55 pm
Grand Marshal 1 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:12 pm Look at Vegeta getting a new technique, get shitted on after successfully using it once and never re-utilizing it 😭🤣☠️
I mean he kept using SSBE or the manga equivalent of it after it was introduced in the TOP

What he learned on Yadrat helped bring down Moro and the verdict is still out if he will use it again

So this is already false
I didn't say that he does that often. I made the claim that it is a possibility. You can't be wrong if you didn't state anything contradictory.

He would obviously use his top form, but he made pretty apparent the fact that spirit control was only going to be used as a mean to fight Moro. Cause after Buu, he could have gone through this training. His character arc had finished until he went back to step 1 with Super and we got this artificial build up to him re-evaluating his ideas to seek a unique path to strength. That ties with the fact that said build up was the trigger with which Vegeta set out to train.

I was being sarcastic in the first place so no need to delve into this, when dragon ball isn't meant to have any deeper meanings anyway. Point I was trying to make was "new powers always outshine the previous one". So it's more of an issue with all the characters rather than Vegeta in particular. I saw no one suggesting the Mafuba for Moro, or Spirit Fission for Zamasu (granted they didn't have time during the arc, but again, post Buu Vegeta could have trained just in case a threat like Buu ever appeared, but whatever).
P O W E R

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:07 pm

The new designs that have come out seem so "db heroes" style that it seems obvious that they are demons or related to them
DiscountDabi wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:06 pm I despise the scene in the anime with Goku getting Mad in Ultra Instinct. It is the blatant opposite of what the form is meant to be and if we are being honest points to the fact that Toei ignores core parts of the story if it makes it look cool.

in the manga he also makes his faces or expressions emotions of anger or joy I don't see the difference

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:22 pm

Except that the former is "Sign" and is explicitly stated that he is failing to use it correctly.

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:34 pm

Tai Lung wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:07 pm The new designs that have come out seem so "db heroes" style that it seems obvious that they are demons or related to them
DiscountDabi wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:06 pm I despise the scene in the anime with Goku getting Mad in Ultra Instinct. It is the blatant opposite of what the form is meant to be and if we are being honest points to the fact that Toei ignores core parts of the story if it makes it look cool.
in the manga he also makes his faces or expressions emotions of anger or joy I don't see the difference
As for the top scans I agree that these break that same thing, albeit to a lesser extent. A better example would have been Moro and Goku clashing auras and Goku screaming to power up. I hate those just as much, but in a certain extent I can excuse those because it’s omen. Its not complete and he’s still working on letting his body move on its own without his input.

At the very least in the manga he doesn’t do that in Mastered UI. He is still able to express himself and be happy or have a stern look, but he’s not a muscle head screaming to draw out power. He’s calm and tranquil as his body flows without him having to make direct input. UI Omen does a similar thing but to a lesser extend to which Moro incorrectly assumed it was just a speed boost form.
In fact, it completely took him by suprise later when Goku says he’s moving without thinking even though he was doing that before.
Last edited by DiscountDabi on Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:43 pm

Toyo has long since proven he can start an arc right, its whether he can finish right thats questioned.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:48 am

OLKv3 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:57 pmBut everyone said the same things about last arc. People forget how excited everyone was for the Moro arc, all the way up to Vegeta's return to Earth.
I seem to recall it being heavily debated whether it wouldn't just end with the events on Namek, and rumblings of disinterest from the vs. Moro's goons chapters up through the climax.

It wound up being plenty of people's favorite arc, but here were reservations about both its scope and execution fairly early on, as opposed to anything like unanimous fandom approval.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:13 am

Full Chapter is out guys.

ZodiacBeast
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodiacBeast » Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:44 am

I wish Vegetable would return to Yardrat and learn every single Spirit Control technique. Push his training to and beyond the limit. It would help, since he would also gain even more strength to complement his new techs.

And don't stop using IT just because Goku uses it. :roll:

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:27 am

So since Super has embraced the recolour method of new forms, who wants to bet on Vegeta’s GoD ability giving him purple hair? It’s the aura colour of the GoD and Toppo had purple eyes also.

So I’m betting on Super Saiyan Purple Evolved God of Destruction.

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:15 am

Cipher wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:48 am
OLKv3 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:57 pmBut everyone said the same things about last arc. People forget how excited everyone was for the Moro arc, all the way up to Vegeta's return to Earth.
I seem to recall it being heavily debated whether it wouldn't just end with the events on Namek, and rumblings of disinterest from the vs. Moro's goons chapters up through the climax.

It wound up being plenty of people's favorite arc, but here were reservations about both its scope and execution fairly early on, as opposed to anything like unanimous fandom approval.
Actually, even at the Namek section of the GPP arc I remember criticism regarding the story and how to some people it seemed "filler" or "too much like a DBZ movie". The training arcs about Ultra Instinct / Yardrat and the revelation of Merus as an angel ended up changing that notion. It is strange because at the end of the arc, somehow many people started to think that the Namek section was better and that after that the quality dropped (which I would say happened only after Moro landed on Earth)

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:38 am

So we have got new interview translations, thanks to Herms on twitter. According to Toyotaro he’s the one who designed Granolah. Which is interesting because it has a very Chrono Trigger style to it so I assumed it was a Toriyama design. He also mentioned how there was a connection to someone interesting later on in the arc that’s really suprising. So I’m thinking thats gonna be Bardock given the Great Apes Scar. Although it could be something else given more information

OrangeBanana
Beyond Newbie

Post by OrangeBanana » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:30 am

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:43 am

I don’t want to jump the gun about this arc but in one chapter Granolah has shown more personality than Moro has in an entire arc. I do like his ability as a sniper as well, it’s something different and when he gets more powerful it could be a very difficult ability to counter.

Not sure about the other group of aliens we met. They feel more generic so far but it’s too early to make any real judgements on them.

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:47 am

P O W E R

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:48 am

Kinokima wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:43 am I don’t want to jump the gun about this arc but in one chapter Granolah has shown more personality than Moro has in an entire arc. I do like his ability as a sniper as well, it’s something different and when he gets more powerful it could be a very difficult ability to counter.

Not sure about the other group of aliens we met. They feel more generic so far but it’s too early to make any real judgements on them.
I don't expect him to be this arc's villain, but rather an anti hero who eventually teams up with Goku against whoever's pulling the strings in that gang he delivered 7-3 to.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:50 am

Matches Malone wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:48 am
Kinokima wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:43 am I don’t want to jump the gun about this arc but in one chapter Granolah has shown more personality than Moro has in an entire arc. I do like his ability as a sniper as well, it’s something different and when he gets more powerful it could be a very difficult ability to counter.

I don't expect him to be this arc's villain, but rather an anti hero who eventually teams up with Goku against whoever's pulling the strings in that gang he delivered 7-3 to.

I don’t think he is evil but I actually do expect him to be the “villain” or more precisely an antagonist. Perhaps in the end he will change sides but I do think he will be a thorn in Goku and Vegeta’s side...at least at first.

He made it pretty clear in this chapter he hates the Saiyans too he just only learned about Freeza still being alive.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:55 am

A piece of toaster could show more personality than the stupid goat to be honest.

You can see Toriyama's genius behind Granolah. The arc has just begun and he's already a far better villain than Moro could have ever hoped to be.