"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Mister_Popo » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:37 am

Mnich wrote:
Mister_Popo wrote:Wy can't Kale suddenly no longer keep up up with the troopers while she first takes on Golden Freeza and all those universes?
Hopefully it's not just a major inconsistency and the English translation gives us some more clarification on that issue.
It's explained by Vegeta and Whis: "brute strenght is useless unless it can connect", "but we also have universe 11's stellar teamwork to thank. They've always fought as a team, so they're ready to adapt to given opponent instantly".

Ok, thx!

If they do a manga-version of Broly, they probably won't give him the same problem despite his even more 'bulkyness'.:shifty:

JJdude64

Post by JJdude64 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:44 am

I'm sorry but, I gotta give the anime version on this one. It's just that it felt so rush in this arc. I know a lot of people thinking "Oh they are just getting rid of fodder faster and it's a smart move", but is it really? Like there's no point of having 80 characters if the majority who aren't saiyans and an android gets knocked out so quickly. I find Anilaza very interesting in the anime version since it took Goku, Vegeta, Frieza,Gohan, and 17 to take down. In the manga however, Kale just one shots... Really? Now Gohan steps up (and could somehow deflect Kelfa's attack) and is going to take on Kelfa. I just hope it gets better for me in the next chapter and onwards.
Last edited by JJdude64 on Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:44 am

Is Universe 9 also eliminated? I can’t remember.

This chapter was not good. Where the hell did Freeza go? His fight ends randomly and he just completely disappears. Kale knocking out 4 Universes is a bit too much, but considering this is a monthly manga, Toyotaro probably rushed through them so he can finish the arc in a reasonable time. I guess that’s an OK reason.

Caulifla stealing the potara is incredibly convenient. She just happened to steal the very items that will allow her to fuse with Kale to stop her self-destruct or whatever, while also getting more powerful. I would’ve preferred it if it was like the anime version. Cabba did Cabba things (nothing), and nobody really cares about him (except Vegeta) so we can just move on.

Another strange thing is how Goku suddenly starts chillin with Jiren while watching Kale beat the shit out of everyone. Jiren is apparently even more of an asshole in the manga considering he wouldn’t even attempt to stop Kefla even though she’s taking out all his teammates. So much for being a more heroic Jiren compared to the anime version.

I think the worst offense in this chapter was Kale knocking out her own teammates. I found that incredibly stupid and a cheap way to reduce the amount of fighters while robbing the viewer from any potential fight that doesn’t include Kefla or Jiren in the future.

It ends with Gohan coming in and challenging Kefla, which could be pretty cool I guess. I just want the manga to finish up already so we can see how the climax is handled.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:45 am

This was the first chapter I read since the Black arc: and man this chapter was lame.

Aniraza taken out in one hit and 4 entire universes gone like that. Kale got name dropped as the LSSJ but for a universe who didn’t even know about Super Saiyans that doesn’t make sense.

Gohan showing up was the highlight of the chapter but I’ll hold my excitement until the fight.

Another disappointment form toyotaro.

IM21
Banned

Post by IM21 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:49 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:This was the first chapter I read since the Black arc: and man this chapter was lame.

Aniraza taken out in one hit and 4 entire universes gone like that. Kale got name dropped as the LSSJ but for a universe who didn’t even know about Super Saiyans that doesn’t make sense.

Gohan showing up was the highlight of the chapter but I’ll hold my excitement until the fight.

you need to thank Viz for that. Another stupid translation by them. Cabba says just legendary saiyan in the original.

Mnich
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mnich » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:55 am

IM21 wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:This was the first chapter I read since the Black arc: and man this chapter was lame.

you need to thank Viz for that. Another stupid translation by them. Cabba says just legendary saiyan in the original.
Yeah, I also thought it was another bullshit stuff, because Saiyans from U6 didn't know anything about Super Saiyans before. It's just a translation fault, confirmed by Herms:

https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/1020572521903505408

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:57 am

Mnich wrote:
IM21 wrote:

Yeah, I also thought it was another bullshit stuff, because Saiyans from U6 didn't know anything about Super Saiyans before. It's just a translation fault, confirmed by Herms:

https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/1020572521903505408
was Cauliflas line about the every 1000 years a tranalrion error too? It was said a few times after Cabba said it too.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:59 am

This is waaaaaaaay too rushed. We're already down to the last fighters yet Goku hasn't shown any sign of UI and barely had any encounter with Jiren. 4 entire universes AND fighters from U6 were thrown out in a blink of an eye. This arc has had some really great moments but overall Toyotaro dropped the ball with it which I guess should've been expected as it's too big of an arc to do justice in the time he has to work with. Hopefully things pick back up once the Broly "arc" starts.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

IM21
Banned

Post by IM21 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:02 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:
was Cauliflas line about the every 1000 years a tranalrion error too? It was said a few times after Cabba said it too.
so far Herms has not said anything about that, so it must be correct in the viz translation.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:06 am

IM21 wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
so far Herms has not said anything about that, so it must be correct in the viz translation.
It's legit. We saw in the raw scans that it mentions "1000" written in western numbers, which is how it's always done.

OriginalRed

Post by OriginalRed » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:09 am

I love Gohan as much as the next guy but there's no way in hell he should stand any sort of chance against Kefla given Kale was easily Blue level when enraged and Kefla by proxy should be many times stronger than that. The only way his confidence makes sense is if he has a plan to outsmart her perhaps or he plans to sacrifice himself to take himself and her out like what he did in the anime with Dyspo, thus erasing U6 while his team still has 5 members and would only have to deal with U11.

All in all, the chapter felt extremely rushed and it's clear to me that Toyo is trying to wrap things up before the movie comes out, which means there's going to be 5-6 chapters left which will involve the following.

- UI Goku vs Jiren
- Vegeta vs Toppo
- 17/Frieza vs Dyspo
- Gohan vs Kefla
- 17/Roshi vs Kahersal

Rhuagh
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Rhuagh » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:13 am

Blame editorial for the pacing, not Toyotaro. What did you guys want him to do? Storm the Dragon Room office, slap the editors and execs across their faces and say "no, I won't rush the manga to promote the movie!" ? Lmao.

IM21
Banned

Post by IM21 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:16 am

I get it if people think it's rushed. Id also love to see other characters get some screen time, but I think Toyo needs to finish this in the next 5 months. And Goku vs Jiren will probably last for 2 chapters. So even tho i am not the biggest fan of this chapter it's still good and gives you a different look from the anime.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:20 am

So some quick notes on the manga:
-Kale has KO'ed a ridiculous amount of fighters. Including her teammates the Namekians. We were deprived of the Gohan and Piccolo vs the two Namekians and the subsequent simultaneous KHH with Goku that eliminated two Universes.
-Kale dominates everyone, almost knocks out Vegeta, and then.....she starts losing to the weak Pride Troopers who lost to SSJ Goku?
-Dyspo insults his fellow Pride Troopers. Seems pretty out of character for someone who is supposed to be a hero.
-In this version Caulifla stole the potara instead of Champa referring to it as their last resort?
-The general of the Pride Troopers is calling out formations and commands and I thought that was a nice touch.
-Cabba diving and saving Kale as he falls out was alright. I preferred the scene where he fought Golden Freeza. Freeza showing his love for fighting strong people and his hate for Saiyans at the same time.
-Goku asks Jiren if he's going to help his friends, to which he says "unnceccessary." Not sure where this is going but it'll probably be elaborated on in the next chapter.
-Kale was CSSB level and now Kefla is stronger and Gohan deflects her blast like it is nothing? What a joke.

Overall it was a pretty awful Chapter. But I can't say I am particularly surprised.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:24 am

The chapter that made me like dislike the Manga TOP.
    I expected the manga to at least finished Goku and Frieza vs Kale instead we get the worst part of this chapter, Is just boring that Kale one shot U2,3,4,6 and 10 and it just make them even more pointless to participate.
      Jiren being a jackass is quite amusing since he was established to be the hero of justice yet he don't bother saving his pals :lol: .
        The only positive I can think is Cabba, Vegeta ki sword,U11 and the art was good other than this was the worst chapter.
        Mostly active on discord.

Ki Breaker
        Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:25 am

PFM18 wrote:Freeza showing his love for fighting strong people and his hate for Saiyans at the same time.
        -
        When did Freeza develop such a love interest?
        Last edited by Ki Breaker on Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
        The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

LightBing
        I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:25 am

Kale isn't Mastered Blue level. Didn't you guys see Universe 11 handling her? They were even directly called scrubs in this chapter. There's a reason Vegeta interrupted his match Toppo to check the situation and walked away, he always goes for the bigger fish and Kale wasn't it.

shadowfox87
        OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowfox87 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:27 am

I have a lot of things to say about the chapter. First of all, I loved it. I like how Kale was depicted as this powerhouse girl, taking out so many universes. They went on to even explain her transformation. Both Cabba and Caulifla know of the legend of the Super Saiyan that appears every 1000 years. How would they know it if a super saiyan did not happen in their universe 1000 years ago? My theory is that Kale indeed is the legendary Super Saiyan of Universe 6. Her power grows and grows, but she will ultimately lead to her own demise. Vegeta also states that brute power alone can catch a person off guard, but her attacks are too easy to read because they're linear and straightforward. Therefore, the Pride Troopers were able to defeat her. I really like that because they emphasized that technique is important as well as power. It goes back to what was stated about Super Saiyan Grade III a long time ago.

The original Super Saiyan of Universe 7 appeared 238 years Before Age according to the Chouzenshuu. That was before Planet Sadala exploded and given that the only Saiyan we know that turned into a Super Saiyan on Sadala is Yamoshi, it's highly likely that he's the original Super Saiyan that appeared 1000 years ago. Just like Kale in the manga was outnumbered and defeated, Yamoshi was probably outnumbered and defeated. Yamoshi never turned into an SSG, but his spirit wandered and a Namekian elder wrote about the legend in the Namekian book of legends.

If Broly is the legendary super saiyan of Universe 7, then he may have the same weaknesses. His power may also continually grow, but will ultimately lead to his own demise. Broly, unlike Kale though, may have previous battle experience. Vegeta said that he learns during the battle and adapts. That means that he won't have the same weakness of having his attacks be too easy to read.

That's my theory anyways.
        DBS Manga vs Anime Differences: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=42062
        Timelines Explanation: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42105
        Log Power Scaling: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40610
        Science of Ultra Instinct: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40707

The gr
        I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:28 am

PFM18 wrote: -Dyspo insults his fellow Pride Troopers. Seems pretty out of character for someone who is supposed to be a hero.
        Um don't you mean Jiren, Dyspo is actually angry that a lot of his teammates got rekt.
        Mostly active on discord.

PFM18
        Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:34 am

LightBing wrote:Kale isn't Mastered Blue level. Didn't you guys see Universe 11 handling her? They were even directly called scrubs in this chapter. There's a reason Vegeta interrupted his match Toppo to check the situation and walked away, he always goes for the bigger fish and Kale wasn't it.
        Well yes exactly. It is an inconsistency. She literally almost knocks CSSB Vegeta out of the arena, she gave CSSB Goku and Golden Freeza trouble, and then she goes and gets "handled" by a bunch of scrubs. It makes no sense.
        The gr wrote:
        PFM18 wrote: -Dyspo insults his fellow Pride Troopers. Seems pretty out of character for someone who is supposed to be a hero.
        Um don't you mean Jiren, Dyspo is actually angry that a lot of his teammates got rekt.
        "Unlike my colleagues, I am actually a force to be reckoned with"
        .."takes these real attacks"

He calls his teammates both obviously not a force to be reckoned with and implies that they don't have real attacks.
        Vegeta ki sword
        How's that a positive? He suddenly has this ability out of absolutely nowhere. The only time this is used is both times that he became Vegetto but he himself had never used it.
        Last edited by PFM18 on Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.