"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:37 am

This is all great stuff, but it has nothing to do with the Dragon Ball Super manga. Going forward, please keep this in mind and only post in this thread with commentary related to that in some way.

(Gonna pull rank with one last point about "DB did everything first" and note that Fist of the North Star, an actually-well-known-series that people in the west would/should know, pre-dates and then ran contemporaneously with DB and was doing stuff DB did before DB actually did it. Now consider that you probably don't even know 90% of the series that ran in WJ before DB and yes we all love this series and Toriyama's a genius but can we please stop saying that he did everything first?)
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

jd55513
Not-So-Newbie

Post by jd55513 » Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:08 am

Hey guys! In anticipation of the upcoming DBS Manga Volume 17 Cover, releasing in December (3rd). We should hopefully get a preview for the cover in the V Jump for DBS manga chapter 78 as well!

In the meantime, I have done my own attempt at the fancover, it's something I've been doing since Vol. 16!
Here it is via Twitter!
https://twitter.com/creative_one15/stat ... hRWog&s=19

Whatcha think?

Do you like the UE Colors?
Last edited by jd55513 on Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

jd55513
Not-So-Newbie

Post by jd55513 » Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:11 am

What are your thoughts about the upcoming DBS Manga chapter 78 and the Heeter wish?

What do you think it will be?

For me, I think I've figured it out!

I think it all relates to how the arc stated, with the stealing of OG-73 by the Space pirates and then Granolah!
As for 0G-73i, I think I've figured out how his role may be, based on the theme of the arc.
We saw how dangerous he was, simply for his Android qualities. What would make him worse? Having the power of the strongest and being an entire "army".
How did this arc open with?
73 was stolen by the space pirates, with master Goichi. We learned that they had other 73 units and presumingly more, we later found out that the technology was stolen by Saganbo through the Heeter analysis.
What was the motive of Goichi?
Rule the universe with the 0G-73 army!

What do the Heeters want?
Intel, money and an army....not just any army, Freeza's army..but what's better than the Frieza army? A army of super powered, amped up OG-73 with Gas(who may be the Heeters first wish) copied to all the units!
Age of Ultron style!

As for a knowledge oriented wish, they may make the following: Wish for the greatest army in the universe(which is a amped up 0G-73 army) which fufills thier wish of having an army in the first place
OR They wish to know everything, essentially they wish for all the knowledge Zuno has. This could immediately be dangerous, as "knowing everything" is rather vague, it could include all techniques and weaknesses? etc.

Here's my YT vid on the topic!

https://youtu.be/cBhEA-3WCLY

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:12 am

Since Gas fought Bardock, the set up for him against Goku is there. He'll probably see the resemblance and need for some generational revenge.

Certainly Vegeta and Granolah will get some match ups but who? It all leans on the information the Heeters got and how they'll use the Dragon Balls.

Hopefully Bardock vs Gas won't extend beyond half a chapter, that's enough for the fan-service. I want the arc to get into the interesting stuff again.

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:21 am

TKA wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:00 am Now with that out of the way, I took great umbrage with the super anime having Goku use the power of friendship because it showed the writers don’t understand the material.
Agreed with this whole post, but to highlight this part -- all those comparisons people draw between Luffy and the DBS anime's Goku are not unwarranted, and Toei was certainly no stranger to pulling elements from its other properties and adaptations into Super.

But to relate all of this to the Super manga, there is a touch of "The Friends We Made Along The Way" subtext in the Tournament of Power (albeit in DB's non-preachy flavor and totally unlike One Piece's sappy nakama-isms). Goku's historic relationships allowed him to prevail over Jiren and his solitude. Also, they won because of 17, but 17 joined in the first place out of appreciation for Kuririn. Etcetera etcetera.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:40 pm

LightBing wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:12 amI want the arc to get into the interesting stuff again.
We are into the interesting stuff since the last chapter.

It only took ten months to get there but eh... better late than never.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:08 pm

Mr Baggins wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:32 am One of those linked sources has Torishima flat-out admitting he was actively against Toriyama incorporating resonant themes into his manga and that he wanted to ensure it was "a work without substance". For his tenure as editor, mass appeal was the name of the game, and his influence predominantly shaped everything Toriyama did at that time.
That caught my attention too. I assumed it was because he didn't see much there in the first place. He had an overall low opinion of shonen manga from what I read.
As far as I'm concerned, Revenge of the Sith is the best Star Wars film ever made.
I wouldn't go that far, but I have rewatched it more times than I can remember. Partly because its just a fun movie for me, partly because its comfort food, and also because it has so much unintentional comedy in it. Funny thing is, I'm not even a big Star Wars fan. I just like the prequels and the expanded prequel timeline. Was never big into the original trilogy until recently.
TKA wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:55 pm But if you're coming at this with a "this is good" or "this is bad" lens, then there's not much discussion to be had. I've been in enough of those (hey, I have Batman v Superman in my sig) to know they go nowhere.
Funny, I liked that one too. But no, that's not something I even feel like discussing. There's something of a consensus about what makes a good or bad movie which is displayed via metacritic scores and the like. I tend to like movies that aren't scored favorably by these platforms (Batman Returns, Amazing Spider-man 2, Star Wars prequels, BVS), so my opinion often differs from the mainstream but I won't pretend that this overall consensus is nonexistent or has no value.
UpFromTheSkies wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:07 pm A lot of big authors actually have teams of writers and creative consultants that they use to bounce ideas off of and help them come up with stories. This isn't always made public knowledge, but you'd be surprised how many stories were actually the result of a team and not a single person 😉
Very true! I believe those people should be recognized too.
VegettoEX wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:37 am This is all great stuff, but it has nothing to do with the Dragon Ball Super manga. Going forward, please keep this in mind and only post in this thread with commentary related to that in some way.

(Gonna pull rank with one last point about "DB did everything first" and note that Fist of the North Star, an actually-well-known-series that people in the west would/should know, pre-dates and then ran contemporaneously with DB and was doing stuff DB did before DB actually did it. Now consider that you probably don't even know 90% of the series that ran in WJ before DB and yes we all love this series and Toriyama's a genius but can we please stop saying that he did everything first?)
Thanks! You said that better than I ever could. And to keep things positive, yes, Toriyama is a genius.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:32 pm

Grimlock wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:40 pm
LightBing wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:12 amI want the arc to get into the interesting stuff again.
We are into the interesting stuff since the last chapter.

It only took ten months to get there but eh... better late than never.
Meh. Granolah's been boring me ever since his wish

BWri

Post by BWri » Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:23 pm

I'm hoping for more with Granolah. Hopefully he doesn't die, but I don't want him to keep his powers either. Someone above mentioned 7-3 coming back into play. I think that'll be coming up soon, probably as a way to make Gas relevant strength-wise. Though Gas' power scaling is already kinda odd to me.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:51 pm

OLKv3 wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:32 pmMeh. Granolah's been boring me ever since his wish
Yeah, if you take away Saiyans/Bardock involvement, then there's not much here. I'd say the only cool thing other than that was the new Shenlong, had a nice design. Hopefully we see more of it in the future.

~ War of the Dinobots ~

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:58 pm

Grimlock wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:51 pm
OLKv3 wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:32 pmMeh. Granolah's been boring me ever since his wish
Yeah, if you take away Saiyans/Bardock involvement, then there's not much here. I'd say the only cool thing other than that was the new Shenlong, had a nice design. Hopefully we see more of it in the future.
It wouldn't be so bad if the manga wasn't released at a tortoise's pace.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:04 pm

Yep, that too. Waiting an entire month has become a bothersome thing. And if that's the case for me, imagine to those who love and closely follow these manga sagas.

It's high time it became a weekly manga, isn't?

~ War of the Dinobots ~

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:19 pm

Grimlock wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:04 pm Yep, that too. Waiting an entire month has become a bothersome thing. And if that's the case for me, imagine to those who love and closely follow these manga sagas.

It's high time it became a weekly manga, isn't?
High time? It has been High time since 2019!
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

EGonzo
Beyond Newbie

Post by EGonzo » Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:28 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:58 pm
Grimlock wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:51 pm
It wouldn't be so bad if the manga wasn't released at a tortoise's pace.
That's the biggest problem with the manga in my opinion, it's a monthly release with the pacing of a weekly one. In a weekly manga the author can spend a few chapters in pure fighting, then slow down and have plot-heavy stuff. Toyo tries to do the same but it just doesn't work because we end up with half a year of pointless battles and no story.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:55 am

I am definitely repeating myself at this point, but I'm glad more people have the same stance as me about the pacing. The manga still feels like it's being written in spite of its monthly schedule rather than being written to match it, with its current pacing fitting a weekly or biweekly manga much better. But, and I think we've already looked into this a hundred times, the release schedule isn't gonna be able to become weekly or biweekly anytime soon when the manga is released in a monthly magazine. So it is the pacing itself that needs to be improved.
Kunzait_83 wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:53 am
This post is worth its own thread, honestly.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:12 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:37 am This is all great stuff, but it has nothing to do with the Dragon Ball Super manga. Going forward, please keep this in mind and only post in this thread with commentary related to that in some way.

To add fuel to fire, Saint Seiya, which is basically “Dragon Ball Z” at a time when the manga ran with kid Goku’s adventures, came up with a Super Saiyan before Dragon Ball. The Knights’s armor went gold when they fired up their cosmo, because it absorbed the blood of Gold Saints.

Also, the first time I saw DB on tv, it was on French and I thought it’s pretty hardcore series :D
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:27 pm

Maybe they could have guest artists do a spinoff comic that fills the void in between each chapter, simply checking in on what the other characters are up to? I would totally be content with a spinoff that shows things like Chi Chi merely doing housework and Gohan giving a boring academic speech for a couple dozen pages because it would at least be additional content.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

ZodiacBeast
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodiacBeast » Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:26 pm

theherodjl wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:27 pm Maybe they could have guest artists do a spinoff comic that fills the void in between each chapter, simply checking in on what the other characters are up to? I would totally be content with a spinoff that shows things like Chi Chi merely doing housework and Gohan giving a boring academic speech for a couple dozen pages because it would at least be additional content.
I'd be down for that. Would these extra bits be adapted as part of the "Super" anime though?

I see the Heeters wishing for an army of Ultrons 7-3's that are totally loyal to them OR some sort of wish that grants them knowledge. The wording would have to be very specific though, and they could end up causing their own undoing.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:10 am

In case anyone cares about the color manga...
-Granolah has green ki
-Cereal is orange and purple
-Sugarians are pink
-Toronbo is white and blue
-Cerealian DBs look like the rest
-No color variation for Migatte no Gokui combined with SSG, etc.
-Granolah sand hakai against Oil is the same color as Beerus vs Zamasu (light purple)
-Explosive hakai is yellow/orange
-Wagamama no Gokui in color next volume

BWri

Post by BWri » Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:38 pm

theherodjl wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:27 pm Maybe they could have guest artists do a spinoff comic that fills the void in between each chapter, simply checking in on what the other characters are up to? I would totally be content with a spinoff that shows things like Chi Chi merely doing housework and Gohan giving a boring academic speech for a couple dozen pages because it would at least be additional content.
Great idea! I'd love something like this. One of the best aspects of the anime for a long while was the slice-of-life content. I think that could work for the manga
MCDaveG wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:12 pm To add fuel to fire, Saint Seiya, which is basically “Dragon Ball Z” at a time when the manga ran with kid Goku’s adventures, came up with a Super Saiyan before Dragon Ball. The Knights’s armor went gold when they fired up their cosmo, because it absorbed the blood of Gold Saints.

Also, the first time I saw DB on tv, it was on French and I thought it’s pretty hardcore series :D
Torishima-san even admits to researching the Saint Seiya anime to make the Dragon Ball anime more popular.

"“Around the same time, Saint Seiya was a very popular anime. This was interesting because the Saint Seiya manga was rather average but the anime by comparison was a lot better. So I wanted to know why the Saint Seiya anime was doing so well and we did some research on that. We found that there were two key figures. The first was Kouzou Morishita, who was the director, and the second was Takao Koyama, who wrote the script. So I visited these two guys and asked them if they'd help me reboot Dragon Ball and they both agreed." - Kazuhiko Torishima