"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jd55513
Not-So-Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by jd55513 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:25 pm

batistabus wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:10 am In case anyone cares about the color manga...
-Granolah has green ki
-Cereal is orange and purple
-Sugarians are pink
-Toronbo is white and blue
-Cerealian DBs look like the rest
-No color variation for Migatte no Gokui combined with SSG, etc.
-Granolah sand hakai against Oil is the same color as Beerus vs Zamasu (light purple)
-Explosive hakai is yellow/orange
-Wagamama no Gokui in color next volume
The color of the dust Hakai and the explosive Hakai is further evidence that Granolah is doing the same thing.

Notice how the panel of Vegeta successfully Hakaing the small pebble and Granolah hakaing the large boulder, they both have that purple paneling with white sparkles (similar to the anime Hakai erasure effect)

Both have in common that panel, as well as the hand zooming panel.

I wonder what that will mean once we see vol 17 colored.

I noticed that when Granolah did the explosive Hakai in 72 against Goku and Vegeta, it was orange but no purple(I guess because there wasn't a hand zoom in effect)

Also consider that the Granolah teleportation move he did in 72, is also colored VERY differently than Gokus IT effects.....which means it's something else!

Jinto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jinto » Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:46 pm

I'm really curious about the process of drawing DBS each month. Does Toyotaro have assistant ? Is he drawing everything by himself ? Is he under pressure to strictly respect the similarity between him and Toriyama ?

The manga would really benefit from better background, better effect and double spread. Or is the lack of intensity deliberate ? Boruto manga has the same issue

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:53 pm

I further consider the coloring of Goku disintegrating the rock on top of Moro to be a mistake in the colored edition if they’ve decided to keep Granolah’s technique (identical in presentation) consistent.

Goku hakai’d that damn rock.
Grimlock wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:04 pm Yep, that too. Waiting an entire month has become a bothersome thing. And if that's the case for me, imagine to those who love and closely follow these manga sagas.

It's high time it became a weekly manga, isn't?
I’ve been really enjoying Super, but can’t say the monthly pacing bothers me. It shouldn’t be the only thing you’re reading, and if it keeps you excited for the next chapter and reads well collected, then it’s done its job.

I’m left with the feeling (constantly) that this is some (many?) people’s first time following a monthly series...

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:06 am

I can't even say it's my first time doing it because I don't read Dragon Ball Super manga. It's just that currently it is doing something that draws my attention and I would like to get more of it as fast as possible. It's not everyday we (I) can get something rmore elaborated regarding to Bardock in a manga anyway.

Now that you mention, I'm not bothered by Dragon Ball Heroes manga being a monthly series (it was a bimonthly one!), though.

Anyway, I forgot to say before but I really liked the new Shenlong's color. Ice blue-ish is not my favorite color but it is one I deeply appreciate. Nice design and color scheme! Now that's something I can say modern Dragon Ball hasn't disappointed: coming up with new dragons. I really liked Super Shenlong, Dark Shenlong and now this one that I keep forgetting the name, sorry! If this saga is ever adapted into an anime, it's something to look forward to.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:00 am

My understanding is that some folks are just frustrated with Super's chapters releasing on a monthly basis, while others are critiquing the actual pacing/progression of the story.

I agree with the latter camp. A fundamental characteristic of Toriyama's Dragon Ball is that it's briskly told, which is partly what makes it so fun/easy to read and digest. The Super manga itself did this prior to the Moro arc, never dwelling on one part for too long and fitting as much narrative content into 40 pages as you'd get from the original series in collected format when going over a comparable page span.

This current arc is arguably even slower than the previous one, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I accepted it back when its plotting felt more scheme-y and deliberate between Granolah and the Heeters (uncharacteristic in tone for DB, but the pacing fits that kind of story; and as a reader who probably delved into one too many fantasy novels in his 20's, it's enough to keep me intrigued), but not so much when we got a five-month fight with dripfed character beats. It's a drag at that point. The former is meticulous story crafting, the latter is quintessential Z anime stuff.

With that said, what separates this from Moro is that most of these new characters are a lot more interesting to follow. Not to claim GPP didn't have its own strengths, but that's what keeps me invested in this particular story arc.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:24 pm

I still view DBS as bimonthly. 1) Drafts 2) the full chapter. So while I don't mind monthly series, the wait on DBS feels different from something like Attack on Titan.

I agree that the pacing on DBS is distinctly different from the original manga, and while I prefer the pacing of the original, I think the pacing of this arc and Moro has been appropriate. Could the pacing be improved within this format? Sure. A chapter from the Granolah arc feels closer to the pacing of a well-paced TV episode (as in, not most of the DB anime). I would see potential for pacing concerns if an anime adaptation decided to stretch the content of a chapter into multiple episodes, and with DB, that seems likely.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:10 pm

The pacing feels the same to me, but we get all 4 chapters combined at the end of the month instead 4 small weekly chapters like we did with the original manga.

Try reading the original manga one chapter per week, see how it feels. I prefer one big chapter at the end of the month, like American super hero comics.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:36 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:17 am Yeah I agree that Toriyama knows how to write Dragon Ball better than anyone else. Even just structurally and thematically, Super is so much better and more consistent than GT, you can really tell that Toriyama is planning it.

Although to be fair Dragon Ball Heroes is meant to be just a fun videogame where powerful characters from DB fight each other, it's not meant to have much of a story so it serves its purpose :think:
Eh disagree on Super being better. It’s pacing and story beats are better in both the manga and anime which speaks volumes to how had GT was in that regard.

Super’s structure and themes are just horrid in the way they jump around and feel more like a random stream of ideas abs consciousness than a fleshed out story direction.

Think about it.. in Super or first arc is The God of Destruction, which both Goku and Vegeta somehow achieve and then Freeza returns and surpasses with some
quick training. Then we shoot out to random things like Goku Black, Future Trunks return, ToP without exploring the other universes, Buu gets a backstory, and in this Broly also manages to return and Bardock is relevant to the current arc... it’s NOT characteristic of Toriyama, each arc has sounded like pure fan fiction.

The worst part is we still haven’t gotten any real NEW companions in all these arcs besides Beerus and Whis and those guys never fight because they’re too OP.

I loved that in DB Goku would pick up new companions overtime. Buu was the last major one to join the team and that’s really sad. I guess you can count Hit or Broly but they really aren’t part of this. Frieza might count, but he’s definitely not new. Either way my point stands is that Super has so much more to work with and feels less 90s Toriyama-like than other nonToriyama DB works. It may simply be him evolving as an artistic but it certainly doesn’t feel more consistent.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:23 pm

An update on how well the manga has sold commercially:

Total sales:

Volume 1 - 310,005
Volume 2 - 284,337
Volume 3 - 236,720
Volume 4 - 267,417
Volume 5 - 400,000
Volume 6 - 216,871
Volume 7 - 208,796
Volume 8 - 314,269
Volume 9 - 340,000
Volume 10 - 196,204
Volume 11 - 119,283
Volume 12 - 146,305
Volume 13 - 155,095
Volume 14 - 95,101
Volume 15 - 150,971
Volume 16 - 107,812 (so far)

The first week sales:

Volume 1 - 29,995
Volume 2 - 56,947
Volume 3 - 92,114
Volume 4 - 150,889
Volume 5 - 121,293
Volume 6 - 154,983
Volume 7 - 142,820
Volume 8 - 154,544
Volume 10 - 90,557
Volume 11 - 119,283
Volume 12 - 80,078
Volume 13 - 112,997
Volume 14 - 95,101
Volume 15 - 74,292
Volume 16 - 107,812

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:37 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:10 pm The pacing feels the same to me, but we get all 4 chapters combined at the end of the month instead 4 small weekly chapters like we did with the original manga.

Try reading the original manga one chapter per week, see how it feels. I prefer one big chapter at the end of the month, like American super hero comics.
I think the point of some complaints lies in the fact that it doesn't feel like 4 chapters combined at the end of the month, even though the number of pages is similar. So instead of this single big chapter reproducing the combined 4 chapter pacing of a weekly manga, the feeling is that there's less story progression (which is leveraged by being a monthly manga).

Particularly, it doesn't bother me that much (although I agree there are aspects to be improved on pacing even in this new slower format adopted by Toyotaro after thhe ToP), but I believe this is the main criticism of these people.

This would probably be divisive anyway, as some people hate the fast pacing adopted by the manga until the ToP and feel that the events were rushed. There is probably some middle ground to be found among people who prefer these two styles, but at the moment this is not the case.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:05 am

So, Elecc makes his wish this month... But I'd put money on the fact that it'll probably be the cliffhanger.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:57 am

I am still betting that the wish will make Gas able to beat Granolah in one way or another.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

jd55513
Not-So-Newbie

Post by jd55513 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:21 am

Koitsukai wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:05 am So, Elecc makes his wish this month... But I'd put money on the fact that it'll probably be the cliffhanger.
Of course, it's gonna be like chapter 69.

Shonen Jump Mangas always save the biggest story and action stuff for the December/January issues.

The Heeter wish is just that.

However I think we will see the "worst wish in history"
As for a knowledge oriented wish, they may make the following: Wish for the greatest army in the universe(which is a amped up 0G-73 army) which fufills thier wish of having an army in the first place
OR They wish to know everything, essentially they wish for all the knowledge Zuno has. This could immediately be dangerous, as "knowing everything" is rather vague, it could include all techniques and weaknesses? etc.

I do think they will make multiple wishes to accomplish whatever thing they desire, whether its strictly power, knowledge or something in between, like with Granolah, Toronbo seems to require a “monkey paw” or equivalent exchange to make such powerful request.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:27 am

We are now starting individual chapter threads. Here is the thread for chapter 78:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=46836

Temporarily locking this thread. All chapter-specific discussion should move to those threads moving forward.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:27 pm

Not an interesting chapter at all, not only because Toyotaro kept Toriyama trend of good guy Bardock, but also cause he didn't had the balls to pull out something like this.
Mr Baggins wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:40 amHow does Bardock truly serve this arc, other than vindicating the Saiyans as "not all bad" or "not entirely deserving of Granolah's vengeance"? Goku and Vegeta already fit that bill, making Bardock more of this surface level plot/backstory device than an interesting character foil or thematic device. This is all bland, fanservicey storytelling, albeit (I guess) fun if you're just looking to get more of an insight into canon!Bardock. It's alright for what it is, but I think the ToyoTori duo are better writers than this.
My thoughts exactly, I just don't see the need of including Bardock in this story arc more than cheap fanservice.
Grimlock wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:38 amYeah, Bardock sure brings fanfiction whenever he appears. Hell, even uttering his name feels like fanfiction. It's like... It's his technique? Bardock: Here take this, FANFICTION! *shoots fanfiction at the enemy*
Yeah bro we already know you're like the #1 Bardock fan in this forum, you don't have to be so defensive about it whenever someone criticizes your favorite character or the plot surronding him much like SupremeKai25 does regarding Black, Zamasu and the FT arc.
Totamo wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:51 am I hope next month releases a more fandom friendly chapter...
This post made me laugh more than I should. As I don't think this is possible, considering this fanbase is pretty diverged regarding its tastes.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:43 pm

If you really want to make posts once every few months, at least try to bring something worthwhile, otherwise don't bother, especially if you're replying a month old post.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:58 pm

Noah wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:27 pm Not an interesting chapter at all, not only because Toyotaro kept Toriyama trend of good guy Bardock, but also cause he didn't had the balls to pull out something like this.
Mr Baggins wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:40 amHow does Bardock truly serve this arc, other than vindicating the Saiyans as "not all bad" or "not entirely deserving of Granolah's vengeance"? Goku and Vegeta already fit that bill, making Bardock more of this surface level plot/backstory device than an interesting character foil or thematic device. This is all bland, fanservicey storytelling, albeit (I guess) fun if you're just looking to get more of an insight into canon!Bardock. It's alright for what it is, but I think the ToyoTori duo are better writers than this.
My thoughts exactly, I just don't see the need of including Bardock in this story arc more than cheap fanservice.
Grimlock wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:38 amYeah, Bardock sure brings fanfiction whenever he appears. Hell, even uttering his name feels like fanfiction. It's like... It's his technique? Bardock: Here take this, FANFICTION! *shoots fanfiction at the enemy*
Yeah bro we already know you're like the #1 Bardock fan in this forum, you don't have to be so defensive about it whenever someone criticizes your favorite character or the plot surronding him much like SupremeKai25 does regarding Black, Zamasu and the FT arc.
Totamo wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:51 am I hope next month releases a more fandom friendly chapter...
This post made me laugh more than I should. As I don't think this is possible, considering this fanbase is pretty diverged regarding its tastes.
I criticize the Future Trunks arc all the time though :think:

The Future Trunks arc is genuinely carried by Zamasu, he made that arc memorable and good.

See there are arcs like the ToP which have kind of lame antagonists, and then there are arcs like the Future Trunks arc that are literally carried by Zamasu being a great villain and foil to the protagonists.

But if you asked me, I have ton of stuff to complain about in that arc, starting from whatever the fuck Trunks' new form was and everything that it represents :lol:

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:26 pm

I hope next month releases a more fandom friendly chapter...
:silent: few combinations of words make me shiver more unpleasantly than "fandom friendly"

BURN DOWN the fandom

anyway, wasn't this thread meant to be locked?

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:55 pm

We should get the Reveal for Volume 17's Cover Art Later Tonight. Hopefully it shows off Ultra Ego Vegeta in all of his Fully Colored No Eyebrow Having Glory.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:57 am

Apparently not yet. Just SSB Goku, SSBE Vegeta (with darker hair like in the anime) and the rest. But no Wagamama no Gokui. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: