"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:30 pm

As previously mentioned just a few posts above, posts from this point forward in this megathread that have to do with a specific upcoming/currently-released chapter should go in its respective thread. A thread has been made for the upcoming chapter, and as such, posts have been deleted from this thread.

Re-temporarily-locking this thread in order for folks to catch up.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:01 pm

Really neat art and composition for Volume 17's cover. Elec sits on his throne like some kind of scheming chess master, while Goku, Vegeta and Granolah only barely take up cover space and are situated at the bottom as if they're his pawns. I like it!

Kind of hoping we move away from slice-of-life covers now, to be honest. I know it's Toyotaro imitating Toriyama, but Toriyama already does those best, and I feel like there's a ton of energy and creativity from Toyotaro when he draws the arc-relevant ones.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:32 pm

Mr Baggins wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:01 pm Really neat art and composition for Volume 17's cover. Elec sits on his throne like some kind of scheming chess master, while Goku, Vegeta and Granolah only barely take up cover space and are situated at the bottom as if they're his pawns. I like it!

Kind of hoping we move away from slice-of-life covers now, to be honest. I know it's Toyotaro imitating Toriyama, but Toriyama already does those best, and I feel like there's a ton of energy and creativity from Toyotaro when he draws the arc-relevant ones.
Where can we see a pic of the upcoming volume cover I can’t find it?

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:19 am

ObnoxiousNamek wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:32 pm
Mr Baggins wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:01 pm Really neat art and composition for Volume 17's cover. Elec sits on his throne like some kind of scheming chess master, while Goku, Vegeta and Granolah only barely take up cover space and are situated at the bottom as if they're his pawns. I like it!

Where can we see a pic of the upcoming volume cover I can’t find it?

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:44 am

Volume 17 cover (better quality):

I don't like it. There's too much blue. One way to improve it while keeping the same characters would be having Goku/Vegeta in their base forms.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:16 pm

That cover looks horrible. Too much stuff happening on it, no actual composition, just looks like cutting out the characters from pages, coloring them and stuff as much of them on the page as possible.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:27 pm

I don't think it's bad. I like the contrast of Goku and Vegeta's Blue forms and the Heeters taking up a huge portion of the page.

I sometimes like to predict what the reverse cover will be. I have a feeling it'll be the Saiyan Oozarus replacing the Heeters in the background, and maybe Bardock, Muezli and Monaito on the run together in the foreground.

jd55513
Not-So-Newbie

Post by jd55513 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:44 pm

MCDaveG wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:16 pm That cover looks horrible. Too much stuff happening on it, no actual composition, just looks like cutting out the characters from pages, coloring them and stuff as much of them on the page as possible.
I actually did my own fancover (it's fun to do!) I did two variations, apparently many people liked my covers. I tried to focus on Goku/Vegeta/Granolah.

https://twitter.com/creative_one15/stat ... MFizA&s=19

My next cover is gonna focus on Bardock I think!

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:19 am

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:41 am

I think Toyotaro should strive to be like Toriyama in many ways, particularly in terms of a "less is more" visual approach on the page, but I also think Toyo's tendency to load covers up with content is actually one of hist strengths. He should embrace that it's part of his personal style, his enthusiasm really shines through, and it creates a visual spectacle that is overflowing with personality, movement, and often Easter Eggs that only a mega fan would think of/care about.

Aside from that, color wise, I much prefer these color choices over the color manga pages.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:23 pm

To each their own, but I really like the cover. The composition and characterization on the Heatas (among Toyotaro's best character designs if not his very best ones) is great.

I suppose it is really blue if you're looking for it, but that didn't hit me until it was pointed out. I think it's one of the more fun covers in the series.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:19 am

I think that Toriyama had such a style because of the ingrediences he was made off.
Basically, lazy and talented guy who strived to do what he likes. You can clearly see that game designs, model kits and machines were his passion as much as enjoying free time as much as he could and many decisions he made, storywise and design wise were made out of practical convenience.
He was basically coming up with contemporary solutions, that actually worked combined with his unique artstyle.

Of course that Toyotaro is vastly different, he is fanboy, he has a load of pressure. Imagine, being huge fan of any series and having talent to emulate your favorite artist. And it's visible that Toyotaro is not bad with his own designs, but still, he has to basically imitate someone he looks up to, someone, who is completely different with different story and different decisions under different circumstances.
Of course his writing will be different and art as well. I think, he kinda nails the artstyle, but still, he emulates the look of Cell/early Buu arc and is heavily influenced by the anime, as this look was retained for the rest of Buu arc, GT and Super in anime.
Jaco on the other hand, is Toriyama that has evolved his style and is in completely different place now.
Sure, I love the style of the 90s Dragon Ball, but I would love to see, if it was Toriyama who continues the series.
It would be different art, but the same panel composition and familiar story beats.
And as much as it pains me to say and I don't mean anything negative against Toyotaro by it, as turning from talented fan to officially licensed artist on series that you love is impressive and many would dream about that, he will never fill Toriyama's shoes and will be in the same rank as artists like Yamamuro or Nakatsuru, who just emulate the contemporary style of source material.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:23 am

jd55513 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:44 pm
MCDaveG wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:16 pm That cover looks horrible. Too much stuff happening on it, no actual composition, just looks like cutting out the characters from pages, coloring them and stuff as much of them on the page as possible.
I actually did my own fancover (it's fun to do!) I did two variations, apparently many people liked my covers. I tried to focus on Goku/Vegeta/Granolah.

Hey, not bad! I think there is still too much visual elements but this is more closer to those classic tankobon cover page vignettes with the composition and the whole idea. Cool man, if you have instagram, would love to follow :)

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:02 pm

Ideally, I think Toyo-tarou should have drawn the Heaters looking down at Gokuu and Vegeta. It provides a greater sense of continuity. As it stands now they feel vaguely separate from one another despite being so close to one another on the cover.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:32 pm

I'm glad we can finally put to rest these arguments that "SSB Evolution isn't actually a real form, it's the same as SSB but with a different aura" with confirmation from Toyotarou that both forms have different hair colors.

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:56 pm

Yuji wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:32 pm I'm glad we can finally put to rest these arguments that "SSB Evolution isn't actually a real form, it's the same as SSB but with a different aura" with confirmation from Toyotarou that both forms have different hair colors.
We've known Toyotaro's color for "Blue Evolved" was of a slightly different hue since Volume 13, or even 9 if you look at the alternate undercover.

It's all semantics, I guess, but I still don't consider them different forms in the same way that the others are. It's just referred to as Blue in the manga, and the V Jump guide calls it a "unique mastery" of Blue.

The anime does a heck of a lot more to distinguish them aesthetically.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:20 pm

Oh, right. I had forgotten that those are colored by Toyotaro. Such a shame, but it is what it is.

So weird tho; first was accepted to be anime exclusive, then the manga included a minor visual change, then Shueisha named it the same, one arc later got differentiated in-universe, and finally got colored like in the anime. Between that, and the way it is presented by the narrative, I agree on that while it may be technically different form, it feels more and I still consider it a special mastery than a real different form.

jd55513
Not-So-Newbie

Post by jd55513 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:34 pm

MCDaveG wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:23 am
jd55513 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:44 pm

Hey, not bad! I think there is still too much visual elements but this is more closer to those classic tankobon cover page vignettes with the composition and the whole idea. Cool man, if you have instagram, would love to follow :)

Yeah my insta is super_saiyan_joshua
My Twitter is creative_one15

I'm currently working on the volume 18 fancover!

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:35 pm

Yuji wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:32 pm I'm glad we can finally put to rest these arguments that "SSB Evolution isn't actually a real form, it's the same as SSB but with a different aura" with confirmation from Toyotarou that both forms have different hair colors.
I mean didn't Toriyama say that SS2 and 3 were basically just variations of the same thing.
Evo is more similar to Blue than 3 is to 1.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:10 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:44 am Volume 17 cover (better quality):
Love this cover. Is there too much stuff going on the cover? Maybe, but I don't see it as inherently bad. All the characters are beautifully drawn and I liked the focus on the Heeters. In these recent covers Toyo has used a very strong / aggressive style in the expression of the characters, I love it too (although damn Toyo, just give me Ultra Ego colors already! Since next volume will probably feature Bardock, we'll only see it when this volume comes out in color)
Mr Baggins wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:56 pm We've known Toyotaro's color for "Blue Evolved" was of a slightly different hue since Volume 13, or even 9 if you look at the alternate undercover.

It's all semantics, I guess, but I still don't consider them different forms in the same way that the others are. It's just referred to as Blue in the manga, and the V Jump guide calls it a "unique mastery" of Blue.

The anime does a heck of a lot more to distinguish them aesthetically.
Actually, although the official color version has used the anime's Blue Evo colors from the beginning, this is the first time we've seen this on the manga cover. Vol 13 has SSB Vegeta in the same color tone as ''regular'' Blue, and you could argue that the darker shade of his hair in vol 9 was due to the also darker shade of the backcover.

It's not new tho, Granolah has a green aura in the Shueisha colored version but on the cover he has a yellow aura.
Anyway, I don't consider Blue Evo in the manga as a full blown transformation either, more like just a variant / powered up version. The different color is just to mirror the anime probably and to give it some distinction besides the aura for the color version