"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Xeogran
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Xeogran » Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:30 am

I hope Heeters will be a part of this flashback somehow. They need some characterization and relevance.

redon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by redon » Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:46 pm

Here is my Dragon Ball Super chapter 77 full summary that I can share with you :wink:

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:59 pm

redon wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:46 pm Here is my Dragon Ball Super chapter 77 full summary that I can share with you :wink:
Redon Is the Goat Once Again. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:05 pm

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:05 pm

redon wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:46 pm Here is my Dragon Ball Super chapter 77 full summary that I can share with you :wink:
Keep seeing us every month!

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:16 pm

This new characterization of Bardock in the spoilers lines up with how DBS Broly made him even nicer than he was in Minus. No doubt this is Toriyama influence.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:51 pm

OLKv3 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:16 pm This new characterization of Bardock in the spoilers lines up with how DBS Broly made him even nicer than he was in Minus. No doubt this is Toriyama influence.
Superman-Goku strikes again.
Makes you wonder why it took a bump on the head to calm Goku down in the original manga and why the heck Raditz was such a jerk. Speaking of Raditz, it would be nice if he wasn’t straight forgotten.

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Thani » Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:38 pm

TheMikado wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:51 pm
OLKv3 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:16 pm This new characterization of Bardock in the spoilers lines up with how DBS Broly made him even nicer than he was in Minus. No doubt this is Toriyama influence.
Makes you wonder why it took a bump on the head to calm Goku down in the original manga and why the heck Raditz was such a jerk. Speaking of Raditz, it would be nice if he wasn’t straight forgotten.
He either wasn't there when Raditz as a baby (which is justified, saiyans while under Freeza usually don't return to planet Vegeta without reason) or it's another case of Toriyama being Toriyama.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:20 pm

Alright, so:

1- Despite Toriyama saying Bardock, Gine, Raditz and Goku were never together, this chapter does feature all of them almost in the same place. Save for Raditz who is playing just outside the house (a missed opportunity to ignore Toriyama's nonsensical words and feature all of them together!).

2- By showing Raditz playing "with beetles", it does contradict Toriyama statement that Saiyans kids "don't play". Take that in your face, Toriyama!

3- The assault on Granolah's planet takes place in the same year Goku was born. This means the events occurs in AGE 736 (if you think Goku will spend full three years inside an incubator) or AGE 737 (if you prefer this year and assume Gine will round up the amount of time Goku will spent in the incubator).

I'm going with the latter, that's the year I prefer for Goku's birth year, so: AGE 737 + 40 = AGE 777. That's not right, so we have to assume the story is rounding up by four years. Instead of "forty years ago", it is actually forty four years ago: AGE 737 + 44 = AGE 781!

Surprisingly enough, this actually makes possible for Vegeta to be a kid by the time the assault happens. The only problem is Monaito saying "forty years ago" instead of being a bit more specific.

4- Bardock was the one who picked the name, nice trivia there. But I had assumed it was Gine who did that just to make things even cuter! But because "Dragon Ball likes to subvert expectations", I'd like Raditz to be the one who picked the name! :P

I liked what I read here, but I still want to see it. I want images! Gimme pictures now!
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:48 pm

Grimlock wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:20 pm
[/spoiler]

I kinda feel like all of that should have been spoiler hidden

Side note, just reread that interview and the mention of high levels of S-cells developing in a peaceful environment which makes zero sense for Cabbe or any of the saiyans in his universe… ugh

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:55 pm

TheMikado wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:51 pm
Bardock has some kindness in him, more than the average Saiyan, but not as much as Goku or he'd rather die than work for Freeza.
He was away on a mission when Raditz was born and didn't return until he was a toddler.

Marz
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Marz » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:58 pm

Jack Bz wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:05 pm
I'm pretty sure the intent of these words and what it wants to convey is exactly as written in Vegeta's line, unfortunately. But in-universe, does Vegeta even know that Goku hit his head? Or that initially he wasn't kind?

''Goku inheriting Bardock's kindness'' seems to be just a fair guess for Vegeta, based on what he's hearing from Bardock and what he knows about Goku.

Meh, it still doesn't change the fact that Bardock was participating in a mass murder (not just this time, but during his entire life), although apparently this confirms my suspicions that his attitude of trying to save Granolah and his mother came about after he remembered Goku and Gine, which sort of aligns with the fact that he decides to send Goku to Earth in DBS Broly because he was trying to ''save something for once''. So Goku's birth and Gine being around sort of changed Bardock's heart, and this situation with Granola was showing the first signs of it

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:04 pm

Marz wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:58 pm
Or Maybe....Vegeta is just saying "Kakarot is like his dad" and thats it. And everyone is reading into it.

AtlasFlame18

Post by AtlasFlame18 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:00 am

DiscountDabi wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:04 pm
Marz wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:58 pm
Or Maybe....Vegeta is just saying "Kakarot is like his dad" and thats it. And everyone is reading into it.
Thank you!! People are reading way too into this line. It's just a simple comparison people.

Yasai9001
Beyond Newbie

Post by Yasai9001 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:06 am

For whatever reason, we get info on how Leek got his scar; kinda unnecessary but a cool feature nonetheless. Vegeta saying that Goku inherited his father’s kindness is just an assumption on his part if any. Despite the fact that Goku bumped his head, even if he hadn’t, he would be tame growing up on a peaceful environment. It makes no sense for a Saiyan child to just kill everything they see unless they are conditioned to do so (also luckily enough Gohan gained awareness of the full moon and was strong enough to fight it).

Had Goku not bumped his head, I believe Gohan’s influence would ultimately teach him that there are kind people in the world and for him to take him in when his parents sent him away would have him love Gohan nonetheless. Would he be rougher around the edges? A bit more impulsive? Sure, that’s fair, but Goku would just be a hardened soul with a big heart (someone like Vegeta but on a much less drastic scale).

Geekdom says he feel that Gas talking about Bardock with Oil feels contrived tho literally last night (real world perspective), I was speaking about someone with a friend regarding a certain situation between her and my other friend and that friend texted her regarding the same topic. The shit happens and really, doesn’t seem contrived to me; sometimes coincidences can seem too coincidental to be coincidental in the real world (despite the fact that this is fiction). Fiction imitates real life to some ranged degree.

The fight with Gas (assuming they continue the flashback), is something I want to see for sure. Toriyama’s Bardock in action. I really want to see how strong Bardock’s scouter picks him up as to rank Bardock’s power, but it’s not that serious considering he’s said to be an upper ranking low level soldier (so I’ll keep believing that ~Raditz’s power level).

I know people aren’t going to like the whole Vegeta statement and how Bardock is saving people, but honestly though, Toriyama established that Gine was softening him up and well, it makes sense to me.

Toriyama does contradict himself a lot unfortunately. He’s saying Saiyan children dont play but who’s to say that Raditz wasn’t a softy? For Raditz to turn out being a jerk makes optimal sense given the people he’s had to fight with throughout his life; birds of a feather flock together and Raditz seemed to adopt somewhat of Vegeta’s manipulative ways with Nappa’s lust for blood and outright domination over his opponent. As a soft Saiyan working with the Prince of all Saiyans, Raditz would look up to Vegeta and logically would go to emulate the prince’s behaviors in hopes of gaining his validation and attention.

I mean, c’mon, he’s FIGHTING WITH THE PRINCE OF ALL SAIYANS - the most prized ranking (besides King) of course. You think he’d want to disappoint his superiors? For him to (seemingly) put on an act would make him fall more and more into the cold hearted person he was.

Raditz may have been around Gine a lot and due to her influence, he was softer as a kid (all the while holding potential to be an upper ranking combatant - just with enough potential to be teamed up with Vegeta and not sent away as an infiltration child like the lower level Saiyans [i.e. Kakarot]).

May be an unpopular opinion, but I like this characterization of Bardock, truly. At the end of the day he’s a man who has no choice but to continue the life he lives (think of some kind of mobster who has some kind of code that’d make him seem more honorable than your average gangster).

Just my 2 cents. Can’t wait to see the manga chapters and hopefully when this is all animated.

Jinto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jinto » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:33 am

I saw a much more detailed summary in french :
-Bardock participate in the genocide of the planet but spare Granola out of "caprice" after a "flashback within a flashback".
-Vegeta says Goku inherited Bardock's intelligence not kindness.

Why are we even talking about kindness ? The guy knowingly killed billion of people in the span of a night!

I'm more disappointed with Monaito easily shrugging off the genocide and Granola seems to only be interested in his mother and not his entire race.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:16 am

Jinto wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:33 am Granola seems to only be interested in his mother and not his entire race.
A billion is a statistic. 1 person is a tragedy.

It's hard to wrap your head around a billion, million, thousand, or hundred strangers dying. But when someone close dies, it feels like the end of the world.

That's just people.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:32 am

Jinto wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:33 am I saw a much more detailed summary in french :
-Bardock participate in the genocide of the planet but spare Granola out of "caprice" after a "flashback within a flashback".
-Vegeta says Goku inherited Bardock's intelligence not kindness.

Why are we even talking about kindness ? The guy knowingly killed billion of people in the span of a night!

I'm more disappointed with Monaito easily shrugging off the genocide and Granola seems to only be interested in his mother and not his entire race.
yeah that lines more up with minus version bardock who I remember killing people but wasn't heartless

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:49 am

TKA wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:16 am
Jinto wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:33 am Granola seems to only be interested in his mother and not his entire race.

It's hard to wrap your head around a billion, million, thousand, or hundred strangers dying. But when someone close dies, it feels like the end of the world.

That's just people.
Yeah but maybe I missed it? But why didn’t Monaito just tell Granola about his mom and the saiyans from the get go. Seems like an important detail if you know someone is bloodthirsty and out for revenge for the wrong reasons/people.

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:01 am

TheMikado wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:49 am
TKA wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:16 am

That's just people.
Yeah but maybe I missed it? But why didn’t Monaito just tell Granola about his mom and the saiyans from the get go. Seems like an important detail if you know someone is bloodthirsty and out for revenge for the wrong reasons/people.
Because Granolah would've rushed off to kill the Heeters, and gotten killed. Saiyans were an easier boogeyman to blame, since they're supposed to be extinct/have no chance of ever arriving again