"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragmobot12
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Dragmobot12 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:12 pm

I'm not asking too much for this arc, although we don't know how long it will last, presumably until next summer.
But it would be fun if Toyotaro decided to make OG-73 the villain of this little story, it's his character, right?

Also, OG-73 could lead to the return of the definitive Cell, somehow.

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:04 am

Why are people so obsessed with OG-73? He's uninteresting and lame. He's a "typical Toei Movie villain".
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

Geraldo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Geraldo » Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:25 am

If I was the one who runs the franchise, I would have written at least two story arcs that are placed between the Granolah arc and "Super Hero". An Universe 6 and 11 arcs could do.

As much as I know, the last arc took place in Age 781, while Super Hero is at Age 783.

Something that isn't just "the Goku and Vegeta show". But that's just Human Z-Fighters lover old me.

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:13 am

Cautiously welcome to this arc as a nice breather between the past 2 all out action arcs (even though well, there's been a 2-3 month break between this and the last arc's ending) & a way to address Super Hero beyond just a brief flash forward. Might also be one of the rare times Toyo gets to write/draw about some SOL/downtime (esp without Goku & Vegeta) in Super, & there's still some stuff he could do even with the storytelling restraints of this arc (being before Super Hero wherein Goten & Trunks couldn't turn into full Gotenks and then was near ineffective vs Cell Max, plus Gohan & Piccolo not having Beast & Orange yet), I'm looking forward to that.

Dragmobot12
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragmobot12 » Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:22 am

Trouser wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:04 am Why are people so obsessed with OG-73? He's uninteresting and lame. He's a "typical Toei Movie villain".
Because he is extraordinary, he was able to hold on to the angelic powers, even if it was for a few minutes. This is too big a deal, and they can't just leave something like this behind.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:01 am

Cipher wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:38 am So, having looked more closely at the teaser page, it’s actually advertising itself as “covering the film starting with prequel events.” So … not really clear how much and in what form, but it’ll at least be tackling the movie events somehow without just being a full arc set before it.
That's good if it covers SH by the end. It might be more of a breather slice of life arc while they decide on what to do after SH. I suppose it's better than a longer break for the manga.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:17 pm

Mixed feelings about the new arc.

I like that teen Goten/Trunks will be on the spotlight, but I don't like that takes place before the movie and they may retell the movie too. They didn't retell ROF and Broly. Maybe there's some misunderstanding. I need to know more.
Trouser wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:04 am Why are people so obsessed with OG-73? He's uninteresting and lame. He's a "typical Toei Movie villain".
He's worse than that. Typical Toei movie villains usually have cool designs.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

DragonBallFanatic

Post by DragonBallFanatic » Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:48 pm

In the latest material dropped by Toyotaro and co. (November’s Interval Special) it appears that the Silver Haired Ultra Instinct is still the strongest form, and the one Goku used vs Gas was indeed UI Sign (that was glaringly obvious) but was simply amped by saiyan emotions (also obvious).
“But UI Sign beat up Awakened Gas and UI lost” sure but this can be explained because Goku had not been calm during the use of the form in battle, which hinders the state of mind (which is what UI is dependent on) hence when Goku unconsciously activates UI, he easily catches Old Gas (who’s stronger than Awakened Gas & UI Sign Goku), overpowers him and throws him off the planet.
Does this mean Goku can still be stronger than Black Frieza?

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:00 pm

I'm not the Number 1 of him, but, I think it would be a colossal waste if Toyotaro/toriyama don't use him ever again, not because his The Best Villian That Ever Existed, but because the power and circumstances around him make him the perfect pitch for a new foe to emerge.

how manny times the DB creators had to make a new antagonist appear that were somehow stronger than Goku and Vegeta with no build up or even mention of it existing previously, this is the perfect opportunity to use something/someone from a previous arc and make it relevant on a new story.

For all we know 73 was rotting on the Heeters base, maybe Freeza took the base with everything the Heeters left after he killed Gas and Elec and he will use it for somthing.

It doesn't have to happen right now, but if they completely forget about it, it would be a waste in my opinion.

BagetaSama
Beyond Newbie

Post by BagetaSama » Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:50 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:12 am I... really don't see the point of this considering the endgame for Goten and Trunk in Dragon Ball is them basically giving up on all forms of martial arts, or at the very least, not really showing much interest in martial arts, I can't see myself getting myself invested in anything they're doing knowing it will get negated by the ending of the original manga.

I'm sure that Toyotaro will provide some fun, clean quirky antics for the two of them, but it'll feel like it's written in a vacuum because of how much it doesn't lead to anything significant for them. The timing of this story is even more egregious considering how bland and boring Goten and Trunks appear to be in the DBS SuperHero. So there may be a bit of a disconnect between how Goten and Trunks appear in the manga compared to how they are portrayed in the movie. I can't imagine this arc lasting until more than a handful of chapters, but I'm sure it'll be inconsequential fun.

Honestly, if there was a character who deserved their own prequel story from DBS Superhero, I would have gone with Pan. She was the star character for DBS Superhero and is still enough of a blank slate that you have more freedom with characterizing her and not tonally clashing with her ending in the manga.
I completely agree with this. While EoZ is already contradicted, I would prefer that it not be contradicted anymore if it is going to remain the final ending of the series.

Also, Pan was such a highlight in the movie that she would definitely be more interesting to me for a prequel. Especially since you can actually take her character in any direction, we already know what Goten and Trunks are supposed to be.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:05 pm

I was wrong. Anyway.

Okay, pretty cool news. I'm of two minds about the prospect of a Super Hero adaptation. On the one hand, I really sympathise with people who want the manga, out of all the Super mediums, to reflect the full cohesive story including the events of the movies. But for better or worse, that ship has sailed. The Battle of Gods manga retelling was barely a true arc, just a short prelude to the actual first arc featuring Champa and the U6 gang. Revival of F was skipped entirely outside of Toyotaro's short promo manga that didn't even have a proper conclusion. Broly got nothing aside from a slideshow recap, to be generous. So fully adapting another movie, now, several months after its release just seems like a strange and uncharacteristic move. I'm expecting this Trunks/Goten prequel to lead into the events of the movie retold from multiple characters' perspectives, since while the movie was pretty comprehensive, there are still some blanks that could be filled, e.g. the events that led to Goku taking Broly to Beerus's world, Gohan's secret solo training, Piccolo first seeing potential in Pan, Dr. Hedo's parents, etc.

jamiljamtheman
Beyond Newbie

Post by jamiljamtheman » Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:05 pm

As someone who, yes, *likes* the “Goku and Vegeta show”, I am a little underwhelmed that this is the next place the manga is going after a couple months of waiting.

But, on the other hand, I definitely liked DBS Super Hero, and I enjoy the DB cast at large and I’m sure it will be fun and interesting to see what Goten and Trunks are up to.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:30 pm

Eh, I don't know if I like or dislike the design. Definitely not a fan of the underwear above the pants like Superman wears. But I think the overall color scheme is good.

Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Dragmobot12
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragmobot12 » Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:13 pm

Grimlock wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:30 pm Eh, I don't know if I like or dislike the design. Definitely not a fan of the underwear above the pants like Superman wears. But I think the overall color scheme is good.

Welcome to the filler Hell.

ClutchBangstrip
Beyond Newbie

Post by ClutchBangstrip » Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:43 am

I am very curious as to the nature of this installment. Especially considering all the other leaks. Like a new anime, web series, AND a new movie.

This is very exciting. And I'm wondering if Dragon Ball has a new formula, especially with the nature of the new manga, moving away from Goku and Vegeta.

Will each medium cover different aspects of the franchise? Like the manga covering side characters and stories, the shows covering the main stories and the films being used for major events like grand openings and finales? That might be cool.

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:14 am

Hmm, I don't like the design choises. They should've look more like the Great Saiyaman, imo. Those armors looks silly and underwear above the pants looks bad. It's probably 100% Toyotarou's design.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:18 pm

Are Goten and Trunks gonna become superheroes before or after the events of the movie? Before wouldn't make much sense.

I don't mind the designs, though they're a bit bland. As an Average Enjoyer of old-school superheroes, underwear on the outside is a sick look, don't care what anyone says.

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:10 pm

The "1" on Trunks's belt makes me think that Goten probably has a 2 and these are costumes inspired by Gamma 1 & 2

Dragmobot12
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragmobot12 » Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:23 pm

Honestly, if you turn your mind into a real Dragon Ball fan, this can actually be a decent arc.
I'm starting to think that Tao Pai Pai might show up again, love that villain.

BagetaSama
Beyond Newbie

Post by BagetaSama » Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:45 pm

Dragmobot12 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:23 pm Honestly, if you turn your mind into a real Dragon Ball fan, this can actually be a decent arc.
I'm starting to think that Tao Pai Pai might show up again, love that villain.
He already came back once, twice if you include filler lol