"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Cipher » Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:13 am

Kagari wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:39 am Nothing suggested that other than fan desire. He's stuffed away from Earth for a reason - he's not part of the main cast and that's perfectly fine. The modern content struggles to use what they have already.
The original series was always comfortable to move onto new characters of focus, shedding older ones (in terms of story prominence) as it went along.

Not only does it feel natural to to me to want to see more Freeza and Broly--as the first characters Super has left both within Universe 7 and without arcs obviously completed within their prior appearances--the desire to not do so (both on the part of fans and official parties to some extent) in favor of continuing to revisit the classic core cast is what strikes me as the less-in-the-spirit-of-DB, safer fan-appeal one.

I am specifically not horribly in love with Broly, but am definitely of the opinion that new stories should be incorporating and using him, simply because he's a new character with room to grow, and those kinds of gradual changes in core cast are part of DB's ethos I've always personally enjoyed.

Personally. But yeah, get Gohan, Kuririn, Piccolo, Goten, Trunks, the androids, Yamcha, etc. out of there unless there's really a commitment to doing something new with them, and give me Freeza, Broly, Oob, Pan (pipe dream on those two probably), some of the more dynamic figures from other universes, etc. instead. DB has always had a problem using what it already has, so to speak, but it's always kind of gleefully not cared and moved onto the next thing. Of the two, if Super is going to continue into these longer-form serials reminiscent of the original run, I definitely prefer it doing the latter--even if that means letting favorites go or that the main cast at any one point may not be my favorite group of the run.

(I say this but would actually be happy to see Gohan in a prominent role again if they shake him out of his Piccolo team-ups and let him and Vegeta pair up for a change, since they also have chemistry with each other and Gohan has a little more going on than most of the other classic cast members at this point.)
Last edited by Cipher on Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:23 am

Wow! So much has already been said that reflects my own personal thoughts on the chapter. Granola is shaping up to be a more interesting addition to the characters than Moro was who remains to this day as being a sad dissapointment given his initial premise. Babidi was arguably more of an esoteric when it came to the magical arts than Moro was in my opinion.

Can we have some of other characters involved with this continual martial progression we see in chapters? I know Goku has been made the indisputable protagonist ever since somewhere in the Buu arc and Vegeta is now his wingman but they're displaying much of what we already know to be occurring in terms of their aspiring for ever new heights and some new plateau being unveiled to them while one or both faces off with Whis/Beerus. It has a place in the manga in that it establishes where the pair of them are now and what it is they have to overcome in the future. Still, the most interesting takeaway from that scene was the revealing of an Hakaishin technical equivalent to Ultra Instinct.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:57 am

Broly will most likely appear in this arc. It’s a space story. I would find it absurd if he didn’t get involved in some way.
Especially if Freeza is cornered, he will most likely try to find Broly and convince him to join forces with him — something which he said he planned to do at the end of Broly.

As for Zuno, I just realized that what the Heeters want to do is not get intel from 73i to his whereabouts, but to go there with 73i and have him copy Zuno so that they can have all the intel they want whenever they want.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:22 am

From Ajay:

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:41 am

Matches Malone wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:22 am From Ajay:
I only wanted to see Prince Vegeta in purple hair.
PURPLE HAIR, PURPLE HAIR.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:43 am

So far starts interesting. I wonder how will the story progress. Heeters are not really interesting to me, just a bunch of goons,
but I wonder about Granola and looking forward to next chapter. Interaction on Beerus planet was weird, but I think it is also thanks to the weird unnofficial translation, but even some frames felt odd.

So far, I think we have a key to distinguish Toriyama's and Toyotaro's design, as people were wondering that Granola looks more like Chrono Trigger and were surprised that Toyotaro did him - well, the era of late 90s and early 2000s which were kind of the golden age of Toriyama's streamlined design that he got into fully in Cell arc, but then he changed his style so much, that it looks nothing like Dragon Ball that people are used to. So if you see some design reminiscent of this era where Chrono Trigger, Sandland and Kaneznban covers came out, it is certainly Toyotaro - like the machine God of Destruction that looked like cross between GT and Chrono Trigger. That is Toyotaro that holds the flag for the fans of the series, after it is long gone.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:47 am

Ah yes, we are missing purple as a new SSJ form... :roll:
Let the Ice Cream Transformations Continue and I have a new naming scheme:
Super Saiyan Raspbery (Rose), Super Saiyan Blueberry, Super Saiyan Pistacio (Kefla/Broly), Super Saiyan Strawberry (God), Ultra Vanilla, Plum of Destruction... what's next?
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:56 am

I dont' mind it, but i'd like to see something new for the shape of his hair (like the ss4).
I mean, something more than a simple "recolor".

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:09 am

Tai Lung wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:39 pm toppo's design was that of a fat man in tights .. they really improved it making it look more imposing

incidentally .. it is the way it appears in games and in the heroes manga so many like it
1. Because when Toriyama designs a silly fat man with a Santa beard, clearly “imposing” was what he had in mind.

Look, this shit is subjective, but I will say there’s nothing that’s more un-Toriyama than a villain getting jacked, with an edgy aura, saying edgy lines and it not being played for a joke. That’s boring Toei movie or filler villain shit. Because they’re bad writers, the only way they can write villains is for them to be “imposing”. What you call imposing I call an eyeroll.

2. Appeal to popularity is pointless to ever use in any kind of discussion with me, my dude.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:33 am

Nah uh, it explicitly must not be GoD Mode, Vegeta learns to use. It needs to be a technique for the most part. But if he ends up visually changing (which sadly is one of the only ways that DB can convey change for a character to us), I'd advocate for a permanent change in his ki, or an additional 'glow' in all his forms.

In any case, pressure point attacks and energy nullification (hell even a normal hakai) are abilities Beerus has already showcased, so nothing new there, but I'd prefer them over GoD Mode.
P O W E R

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Thani » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:02 am

I don't think it has anything to do with destruction energy, but rather a technique that the Gods of Destruction excel at, but is still subpar compared to Ultra Instinct, even if only slightly. But it should be godly all the same.

Very excited with this chapter, not gonna lie, by far one of the strongest chapters from Super, and look at that, with barely any action!

The problem is that the scale is way too big nowadays, so Granola and the Heeters are really irrelevant in the cosmic picture for now (hell, they were intimidated by Freeza before he returned stronger than ever, so they're obviously only Z-relevant characters), but I'm mighty interested in what Granola has in mind to deal with a Freeza much stronger than before. I also don't think he's gonna be a villain, but the Oracle Fish's final prophecy really does sounds like it's about him - however, it could be an intentional red herring.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:28 am

Thank God the new technique won’t be Toppo’s anime-only form. That was so bad and un-Toriyama like that it’s impossible to imagine Beerus ever having such a physical change, therefore Vegeta too won’t suddenly get bigger... or so I hope.

Purple hair as a visual convey of a change in power could work, but not in a manga. I wonder what Toyotaro will come up with to make it look distinguished in black and white.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:28 am

Thani wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:02 am The problem is that the scale is way too big nowadays, so Granola and the Heeters are really irrelevant in the cosmic picture for now...
Jeez Its like a God Ki Bargain Sale Up In Here. Remember when Super Saiyan God was to put a stop to all that? :lol:

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:00 am

Everything's so strange...

Is Zuno so hard to find?

Why cover the good eye and not the other? To be LESS powerfull?

If you SHOW that Granola can be beaten by your kid, why send him to Freeza to kill him, instead of... killing him?

AssPull new power. I dunno why, but I feel excited by that. I mean, now let see how much time Vegeta, with imperfect training, can come with a MUI level power. One month?
Goku training and level up is not interesting anymore. Vegeta is. And I usually hate Vegeta, but this search for the alternative build is at least engaging.
I think is the thing Beerus had no time to show in the last chapter of Moro arc, the thing he didn't want for other hakaishins to see.
Probably will be just a recolor and power up, but who knows.

Granola missed the entire DBS franchise. I mean Frieza was revived twice. So maybe he does kill him and get revived again. Such long lasting grudge got no sense.

In those times, fighting don't mean a thing, just money and intel. Said before praising GAS for his combat ability (no, wait, a DB character share my name! O_O! Wow). How evil someone can be to say something alike in Dragon Ball?!
Evil entrepreneur!

Overall, despite Whis articulations and skull, most of panels are very good.

Hopefully everything doesn't turn into a mess like Moro, a lot of plot strands are triggered, let's hope they keep them under control.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:08 am

Thani wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:02 amThe problem is that the scale is way too big nowadays, so Granola and the Heeters are really irrelevant in the cosmic picture for now (hell, they were intimidated by Freeza before he returned stronger than ever, so they're obviously only Z-relevant characters), but I'm mighty interested in what Granola has in mind to deal with a Freeza much stronger than before. I also don't think he's gonna be a villain, but the Oracle Fish's final prophecy really does sounds like it's about him - however, it could be an intentional red herring.
Granola defeated a small army of 73 clones that were all equipped with the updated info & strength of 73 from the time he revisited Earth. If Granola is only a DBZ-tier fighter then he is up there with the likes of Vegetto or Boohan to be able to perform such a feat.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:08 am

TKA wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:09 am 1. Because when Toriyama designs a silly fat man with a Santa beard, clearly “imposing” was what he had in mind.

Look, this shit is subjective, but I will say there’s nothing that’s more un-Toriyama than a villain getting jacked, with an edgy aura, saying edgy lines and it not being played for a joke. That’s boring Toei movie or filler villain shit. Because they’re bad writers, the only way they can write villains is for them to be “imposing”. What you call imposing I call an eyeroll.

2. Appeal to popularity is pointless to ever use in any kind of discussion with me, my dude.
actually in the course of a character can change appearance and personality due to its development in the plot

So current broly must be very edgy then because of the marks and full of muscles but in the end it is your opinion personally I think that due to his change in attitude at that time it made sense besides that he showed why he was a potential hakaishin

I say it about popularity because ... it could even appear in the manga because the public likes it. It is not the first time that "broly" has happened.
Ilikepictures-meh wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:53 am
Tai Lung wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:40 am I agree would have more depth than Moro to be a great villain

----------

the episode was pretty good ... I like that granola is not a bounty hunter, that style does not suit him ... he is more a kind of patrolman who works for an independent organization ... is good design but the others is very "DB Heros OC"

Vegeta is going to have his God of Destruction mode it seems obvious to me and I think I like the idea
Using "DB Heroes OC" is a weird way to complain about a design. I personally like most of designs created in Dragon Ball Heroes. Especially the demon realm characters and the avatar designs. Though I'm assuming you're not a fan of most of the new character designs in Dragon Ball Heroes based off your OC comment.

I personally hope whatever technique Beerus teaches Vegeta doesn't give him an over the top/busy transformation or anything like that, prefer more simplistic designs.
Most are characters with a "pompous" appearance where the only striking thing is clothing in general but most of the
same previous design ...
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy ... ErTU-II-iA
Although I did not like Moro's allies, they were more varied in design except for the hit copy

Zeru14
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zeru14 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:31 am

emperior wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:57 am As for Zuno, I just realized that what the Heeters want to do is not get intel from 73i to his whereabouts, but to go there with 73i and have him copy Zuno so that they can have all the intel they want whenever they want.
Hey you're right! With Zuno's powers the Heeters can cause things to hit the fan in lot of ways.

-They can find out about the Dragonballs on Earth and New Namek(and New Namek's location)
-They can find out the Supreme Kai and GoD life link and use that to their advantage(Shin/Beerus might be dying soon, which will take Whis out of the equation as well)

PowerLevel Science

Post by PowerLevel Science » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:51 am

Wild guesses from after June / July 2021:

UI
HA Hakai Aura
SP Spirit

-Son Goku will stay on his UI form.
-Vegeta will explode in his HA form but in his Super Saiyan Blue transformation with SP included.
-Granola after Yadrat in his SP.
-Freezer will stay on his US form, "White Freezer".
-Snow maybe getting a false UI.
-Lapis and Gohan fighting again.

I'd like to see Piccolo, Kuririn, Tenshinhan, Yamcha and Lazuli again in action, btw!!
Programmer, scientist, writer and journalist. English is not my first language.

Ultimate power levels list (2007 - 2022):

Power levels studied since 2007.

Chronology: coming soon.

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:42 am

I don't think we'll see anything similar to the anime's GoD Toppo, especially considering that Toyotaro has been cautious about presenting completely new forms or drastic changes in appearance (most of the heroes' power ups have been mastering transformations like Blue / Ultra Instinct or variations that slightly alter the appearance like Evolved Blue), but I would say that in this case a new form is possible (even if it does not drastically alter Vegeta's look).

Especially because in DB, it is visually more impressive to present new forms and sometimes it ends up being a necessity due to the series' power creep. Ultra Instinct is classified as a technique and has unique capabilities, but it is still used through a transformation and Goku ends up getting a power boost anyway. Except for specific situations (such as Spirit Fission which was a response to Moro's energy absorption), the technique alone usually does not make up for raw power, so the need for a power up to come along

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:58 am

MCDaveG wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:47 amAh yes, we are missing purple as a new SSJ form... :roll:
What I'd like to see is Vegeta's hair change to purple only when he charges his energy or charges an attack. Not full purple even, bur rather very dark that goes with a new aura.