"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gt91
Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Gt91 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:59 pm

-Let's focus on Granolla's moves.
When he used Moro's techinque, i was impressed. I mean, if Granollah can use that move it means that he can use the strongest moves from dead/alive characters in U7 (Plot twist: Moro is still alive). If this is true, he can do everything at this point (moves from Frieza/Broly ecc).
We need to know where the copy ability comes from. Maybe from another character? One of the Heeters? Or it's something similar to Tien's ability?

-About Vegeta, it would be boring to see him being destroyed after Goku. Maybe the fight will be interrupted because Granollah sees where Frieza is. Probably we'll get a new location after the next manga chapter.

BOEGVELD

Post by BOEGVELD » Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:15 pm

DiscountDabi wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:17 pm
BOEGVELD wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:11 pm Now that I'm looking back at this "spoiler", it might be talking about Goku instead. "If he masters YY, he'll become Guldo!" During this chapter Goku started talking needing more training to completely master UI. What if he'll unlock time stopping abilities once he masters UI? It's probably a reach though lmao.

https://twitter.com/DBSChronicles/statu ... 76995?s=19
I think he was just talking about the Telekinesis where he froze Granolah
It says once he masters "YY" though. Goku already had this ability, so that doesn't seem likely imo.

BOEGVELD

Post by BOEGVELD » Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:17 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:18 pm
BOEGVELD wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:11 pm Now that I'm looking back at this "spoiler", it might be talking about Goku instead. "If he masters YY, he'll become Guldo!" During this chapter Goku started talking needing more training to completely master UI. What if he'll unlock time stopping abilities once he masters UI? It's probably a reach though lmao.

https://twitter.com/DBSChronicles/statu ... 76995?s=19
Well Whis knows how to turn time backwards. I think's your theory is plausible, but improbable.
I doubt it'll happen, but it would be cool nontheless. Also seems like a great way to counter Granolah's versatile arsenal. I don't think UI and/or Hakai will cut it.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:48 pm

jd55513 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:40 pm Until, Granolah reveals he can use UI too.
His burst of speed and power will overwhelm them and perhaps, then the Heeter stuff will occur.

Let's hope Toyo doesn't hold this obvious foreshadowing for too long.
Judging from Granola's reaction, I don't think he actually knows UI. I hope he does not know it, as well.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

jd55513
Not-So-Newbie

Post by jd55513 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:03 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:48 pm
jd55513 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:40 pm Until, Granolah reveals he can use UI too.
His burst of speed and power will overwhelm them and perhaps, then the Heeter stuff will occur.

Let's hope Toyo doesn't hold this obvious foreshadowing for too long.
Judging from Granola's reaction, I don't think he actually knows UI. I hope he does not know it, as well.
That's the thing, Granolah has no idea all the techniques obtained from the wish. When he did the "teleportation" to get behind Goku and Vegeta last chapter.
People thought it was IT, but Goku comments its too fast to be IT. Implying it's something else.
When asked about it, Granolah responds that he had no name for the technique (implying he doesnt know what it is, only that he got it from the wish)
Could it have been the Base UI version, Goku has been training for?
Then right after, Granolah uses something similar to the Hakai...
The sequence of those two things, is no coincidence....

Even further foreshadowing is that Goku himself, ask "Vegeta if he thinks he has our Techniques?"
This is Toyo reminding the readers to think about how, as he slowly reveals the twist...
Now with Moros move, and the clone technique, it's pretty obvious where this is going.

Granolah, now that he knows what the "evasion technique" is called, and understands its properties, may activate it at will, or when pushed into a near death experience.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:10 pm

The fighting was cool but I wish it didn't took all chapter.

Granolah is disappointing in the sense he doesn't listen to reason. Vegeta appears to have a strategy, maybe he defeats him and turns Granolah over; we can only hope.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:24 pm

That was a superb chapter. The complaints against Granola's little cloning trick were predictable but it's honestly a pretty innovative way to convey the stakes of the fight, how insane Granola's power-up is and how royally screwed Vegeta probably is (unless he pulls out some serious Hakai power). Considering that Tenshinhan mastered an advanced cloning technique at a much lower level of strength, Granola figuring out a similar thing isn't so far fetched. There was a lot of speculation that Granola's boost would ultimately turn out to be shit-tier compared to Ultra Instinct, in a typical subversion. I'm kinda glad that turned out to not be the case, though a true underdog enemy could've been interesting. But considering that Granola is meant to be the most powerful warrior in the universe, it would be unsatisfying for him to be anything less.

I like how Granola is being set up as a natural counter to Ultra Instinct; a marksman with such an insanely precise fighting style that it overrides the physical limits of Goku's body. The dragon wish may have been a cheap way to get there, but I anticipate that this will be a central thematic point of the arc. Seeing Goku take a more mediatory approach in trying to reason with Granola after innately judging him to be of decent character is a great callback to Broly. Vegeta rubbing in the Cerealian genocide may feel off-colour, but remember that he's trying to use the Hakaishin mentality. Beerus has instructed him to think of nothing but destruction.

Some minor niggles and observations. Some of the panelling in the opening struggle is a bit too... speed-liney. At one point, Goku powerfully kicks Granola, and it took me a solid minute to even make out what was going on in the panel, as Goku's leg is barely even discernible. It looks like Granola is blocking nothing. Granola using Moro's move is a bit of an odd callback to an arc that only ended, what, *checks calendar* SIX MONTHS AGO WTF. Time is an illusion. Let's just hope that Granola's apparent technique thievery from people he's never met gets some context. Perhaps he got it from OG73's data? Lastly, we still see Incomplete Super Saiyan Blue at first, then Goku combines it with Ultra Instinct and the aura vanishes.

OrangeBanana
Beyond Newbie

Post by OrangeBanana » Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:59 pm

Vegeta appears brave going into that fight but inside he knows that he's about to get an ass whooping.

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Thani » Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:03 pm

It was an okay chapter. I enjoyed how Granolah actively pointed out that he waited for Goku's UI to falter before he truly went all out (clone or not, Granolah could find no openings on UI Goku until it dropped in performance). Clever way to win a fight on a technicality while still hyping Granolah's competence.

At this point tho I'm more annoyed at having to wait another month for the next chapter. I feel like this and the next one should be read together for a better experience. But oh well.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:39 pm

I would also like to point out that Granola used his freaking SCARF (which I assume was made with thin adamantium wires) to knock back Goku.
It felt like an attack that would be used in early dragon ball.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:21 pm

I just wish the fight choreography was a little better, there's a panel where Goku is blocking Granolah's punch and Granolah's arm looks hella weird.

Meh chapter for the most part though there were some interesting tidbits thrown out, in particular the bit about UI getting worse the longer Goku stays in the form.

I'm guessing Vegeta's strategy is to trash talk Granolah enough to where he's distracted and cant focus on his vitals properly.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

ZodiacBeast
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodiacBeast » Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:32 pm

Goku's accuracy dropping over time in "transformed" UI irritates me to no end. It wasn't a problem before.

Just a way for Goku to lose...other than him being a dumbass.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:43 pm

ZodiacBeast wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:32 pm Goku's accuracy dropping over time in "transformed" UI irritates me to no end. It wasn't a problem before.

Just a way for Goku to lose...other than him being a dumbass.
Yeah i'm definitely not a fan of the whole "losing accuracy over time."
I understand in regards to the plot there has to be a situation where Goku can't continuously be too OP, but always having some sort of flaw with every transformation is a little tiresome tbh.
It's just that this flaw for UI was never mentioned prior to this arc, so oh well. That's my only minor gripe.

Everyone knows Toyo's gotten much better with art, layouts, and battle action, and it shows. I really liked the UI appearance panel(s).

I really don't want Vegeta to get cocky and take an embarrassing L, but it's somewhat expected at this point. Still hoping we get a nice change to things. Also really hoping we get something creative with hakai.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:16 pm

Terrible writing ... Ultra instinct caught off guard? no, it is not necessary to debate that. all the sentence is wrong ... :thumbdown:
Wearing a scarf to fight is stupid .... :lol:
and it seems forced to me that they have already discovered the matter and do not try to reason with him about the deception ...
Granolah minutes ago he had no idea how to use his ki efficiently and now he even creates illusions

The only good thing here is maybe the choreography but the same dodging effect is becoming repetitive

Aizamasu

Post by Aizamasu » Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:58 pm

ZombieVito wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:09 pm Guess Toyo doesn't care anymore if Completed Blue has an aura or not lmao.
When does Completed Blue have an aura in this chapter? Goku is using incomplete Blue at the beginning of the chapter and then starts using Completed Blue + UI and he doesn’t have an aura anymore.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:27 am

Aizamasu wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:58 pm
ZombieVito wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:09 pm Guess Toyo doesn't care anymore if Completed Blue has an aura or not lmao.
When does Completed Blue have an aura in this chapter? Goku is using incomplete Blue at the beginning of the chapter and then starts using Completed Blue + UI and he doesn’t have an aura anymore.
maybe
although as such it does not name it ... which if vegeta does on previous occasions to differentiate
Goku Red + UI also doesn't have aura when fighting granolah

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:55 am

Are you for real? He changes between having an aura and not like 3 times in the chapter before using Blue with UI.

Aizamasu

Post by Aizamasu » Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:51 am

ZombieVito wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:55 am
Are you for real? He changes between having an aura and not like 3 times in the chapter before using Blue with UI.
Yes, there are moments where Goku doesn’t have an aura at the beginning of the chapter but I still think it’s pretty clear that Goku is using incomplete Blue and then switches to Completed Blue and UI.

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:10 am

People complaining about UI losing. It kills me
UI had two full arcs dedicated to it. And even this arc seems to still be about making it stronger. It's been protected far more than previous Goku forms. Usually in DB, Goku's strongest form is immediately declared weaksauce by the next big villain.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:52 am

Thani wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:03 pm It was an okay chapter. I enjoyed how Granolah actively pointed out that he waited for Goku's UI to falter before he truly went all out (clone or not, Granolah could find no openings on UI Goku until it dropped in performance). Clever way to win a fight on a technicality while still hyping Granolah's competence.

At this point tho I'm more annoyed at having to wait another month for the next chapter. I feel like this and the next one should be read together for a better experience. But oh well.
Sums up my entire thought on the matter..