"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Geraldo
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Geraldo » Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:34 am

Why do people cope with the bad storytelling and ending of the Granolah arc? Just because it's ended??

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:56 am

I think this has been the worst Dragon Ball arc ever, so a bad ending doesn't affect me. It's been affecting me much more having to go trough it for such a long time. At least now I can look forward to something else.

Besides that, I found the twist cool and look forward to seeing more.

Sad there's a break next month. Hopefully we at least get some more info then, like a Toriyama interview or something.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

desu
Beyond Newbie

Post by desu » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:41 am

Psykomatik wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:08 pm
MCDaveG wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:47 pm Is there any indication that there will be next arc? Or is this the last one? Or do we even know?
Next arc has been officially announced a while ago now.
https://www.kanzenshuu.com/2022/01/03/o ... iews-2022/

"Victory Uchida, who is also V-Jump’s editor for the Dragon Ball Super manga, then covers the ongoing series. He officially confirms that the Granolla the Survivor story arc will quickly be reaching its climax, following one more turn of events, and then a new story arc will commence sometime in 2022. Uchida is vague on the exact time frame for the start of this upcoming, new story arc."
Seems like the manga will skip "Super Hero" arc or go quickly through it, not surprised though.
I wonder if this new story arc will come right after this or there'll be a time skip right after Super Hero.
Pkjoan wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:57 am

BOEGVELD

Post by BOEGVELD » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:40 am

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:34 am

sigmasigma
Not-So-Newbie

Post by sigmasigma » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:46 am

BOEGVELD wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:40 am

BOEGVELD

Post by BOEGVELD » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:09 pm

sigmasigma wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:46 am

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:05 pm

Well, glad I was wrong about Gogeta showing up (for now) lol

Toyo going on a rare month break, & so gives reprieve to the soldiers suffering from being forced to read 45 pages a month lmao

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:07 pm

Freeza has become a Dragon Ball equivalent to a 80s slasher movie villain. He always comes back and stronger than before.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:25 pm

Just call Future Trunks, easy peasy. :thumbup:

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:33 am

Psykomatik wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:08 pm
MCDaveG wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:47 pm Is there any indication that there will be next arc? Or is this the last one? Or do we even know?
Next arc has been officially announced a while ago now.
https://www.kanzenshuu.com/2022/01/03/o ... iews-2022/

"Victory Uchida, who is also V-Jump’s editor for the Dragon Ball Super manga, then covers the ongoing series. He officially confirms that the Granolla the Survivor story arc will quickly be reaching its climax, following one more turn of events, and then a new story arc will commence sometime in 2022. Uchida is vague on the exact time frame for the start of this upcoming, new story arc."
Oh yeah, it was so long ago, that I completely forgot about it!

So we are around one day away from the next chapter. As much as I really didn't enjoy the Granolah arc much, even tho I liked Granolah's and Heeters designs a lot at the beginning, I am looking forward to the climax and wonder what's next.

Even tho I am afraid that the plot twist will be Freeza. And by logic, it has to be as all of the characters and events in this arc are basically linked to him, including Bardock in flashbacks.

Oh wait...
I guess that Toriyama is having the greatest time of his life. With successful series already penned and done, he is now trolling as hard as ever and goes away with it.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:29 pm

The twist isn't the problem. In fact, I argue it's pretty solid. The problem is is that it took over a year to get to that twist. That and the Bardock stuff completely hijacked the narrative arc.

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Thani » Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:11 pm

The end of Freeza? Honestly, I'd argue that we haven't seen enough of him as a main actor. He was great in the Tournament of Power and Broly, but got reduced to a mere cameo in the Galactic Prisoner and Granolah the Survivor arcs.

That said, I agree that the powering up is ridiculous at this point. It was an entire arc of unnecessary power creep that added nothing to the bigger picture.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:25 pm

I wonder if the next arc will be set after Super Hero or not?
Probably never because he's a popular main villain. He came back more than twice from Toriyama. He's like Jason Voorhees or Michale Myers with them always finding a way for them to come back.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

sigmasigma
Not-So-Newbie

Post by sigmasigma » Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:53 am

There will be a break for the DBS manga. So release date of chapter 88 is unknown yet.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:57 pm

First time the manga takes a break to prepare for the next arc. Moro arc came from Toyotaro and he didn't need a break. Wonder if something changed behind the scenes and Toyotaro was told to end Granolah arc sooner than he expected it.

A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Geraldo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Geraldo » Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:37 am

FortuneSSJ wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:57 pm First time the manga takes a break to prepare for the next arc. Moro arc came from Toyotaro and he didn't need a break. Wonder if something changed behind the scenes and Toyotaro was told to end Granolah arc sooner than he expected it.

You're not alone, I bet it was the doing of 'Utter Defeat' Uchida, who was talking about a "climax" for 8 months and tried to shove Broly into Toyotaro's throat.

It's clear that he got upset people were mocking his "climax reachings" online and that he threatened Toyotaro with firing ("I don't care about your monthly 'Toyotaro Drew It' project, nor about your plans to end the arc later with Gas dying out because Elec betrayed him and planned to use 7-3, these people are mocking meeeee! I can always hire any other artist, don't you forget it!!") if he won't end the 'friggin' arc, and shove Frieza out of nowhere (I doubt he was supposed to even appear if not in the conclusion only to learn of the Heeters' plan and fates) to please the fans.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:40 am

Geraldo wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:37 am
FortuneSSJ wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:57 pm First time the manga takes a break to prepare for the next arc. Moro arc came from Toyotaro and he didn't need a break. Wonder if something changed behind the scenes and Toyotaro was told to end Granolah arc sooner than he expected it.

You're not alone, I bet it was the doing of 'Utter Defeat' Uchida, who was talking about a "climax" for 8 months and tried to shove Broly into Toyotaro's throat.

It's clear that he got upset people were mocking his "climax reachings" online and that he threatened Toyotaro with firing ("I don't care about your monthly 'Toyotaro Drew It' project, nor about your plans to end the arc later with Gas dying out because Elec betrayed him and planned to use 7-3, these people are mocking meeeee! I can always hire any other artist, don't you forget it!!") if he won't end the 'friggin' arc, and shove Frieza out of nowhere (I doubt he was supposed to even appear if not in the conclusion only to learn of the Heeters' plan and fates) to please the fans.
Good troll post, I actually had a genuine laugh about it :lol:

Geraldo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Geraldo » Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:37 am

dbgtFO wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:40 am
Geraldo wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:37 am

Good troll post, I actually had a genuine laugh about it :lol:
Thought you might be needing it in a meme. This form is still better than all the Dragon Ball Super recolorings, "Black Frieza", sheesh.. ;)

picc
Beyond Newbie

Post by picc » Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:20 pm

Hopefully we never see the end of Freeza. He's the most charismatic and interesting villain we've had in DB.

And at this point, I think he is more amused by the "rivalry" with the saiyans than anything. He knows they will never kill him, especially Goku, and they don't interfere with his plans for intergalactic domination as long as he doesn't try it with earth. Which is off limits anyway because of Lord Beerus.

Freeza also has it in character to let his enemies live for his own personal amusement or gain, as evidenced by the original saiyans and now the heeters.

He probably also sees the saiyans existence as drive for himself to improve.

They're basically his fun sparring partners at this point. I think he doesn't try to kill Goku and Vegeta for the same reason the Joker doesn't try to kill Batman.
Planet Namek Bred