"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Miracles
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Miracles » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:19 pm

TKA wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:42 am All I'm saying is this arc better not be anywhere near a climax. If anything, this should be the first act setting up the interesting stuff to come. Otherwise, it'll easily be the worst manga arc.
This is true. All we had so far was nothing but setups and hype about Moro's power. Now he gets it and he makes an unknown second wish. This should lead our heroes into other events.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:30 pm

Miracles wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:19 pm
TKA wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:42 am All I'm saying is this arc better not be anywhere near a climax. If anything, this should be the first act setting up the interesting stuff to come. Otherwise, it'll easily be the worst manga arc.
This is true. All we had so far was nothing but setups and hype about Moro's power. Now he gets it and he makes an unknown second wish. This should lead our heroes into other events.
I don't think this is the end, but I also don't think there's as much left as some think. If I had to guess I'd say it's around 65-75% done. I hope I'm wrong though.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:09 pm

sintzu wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:30 pm
Miracles wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:19 pm
I don't think this is the end, but I also don't think there's as much left as some think. If I had to guess I'd say it's around 65-75% done. I hope I'm wrong though.
I don't doubt it. I have this feeling that this is the final battle against Moro and we are only going to get the unveiling of his second wish after the fight.

I think more than anything I'm just excited to see what Moro brings to the table and what Goku [who hasn't done anything] has up his sleeve.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:54 pm

I think we are starting the second part out of three. The initial conflict will come to an end and either the heroes or the villain will retreat.
Moro's wish seems like a clear set up for the initial plan - use Mr. Boo - to fail.

That's my prediction at least, that wish has left me intrigued.

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:34 pm

TKA wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:24 pm I think a lot of the issue here is people are conflating anime Jiren with manga Jiren. They're two VERY different characters, and anime Jiren is far stronger. In the manga, Jiren has to actually try while fighting people, and isn't portrayed as being insurmountable. In fact, when he fought Hit he won by exploiting an opening for a split second, instead of just overwhelming him with force like in the anime.

To put this into arbitrary numerical scales (because that always goes well in dragonball discussion, amirite?), Anime Jiren is a 10 while everyone else are 6s; Manga Jiren is a 10 while everyone else are 8s and 9s.

Anyway, when Goku went Ultra Instinct (in the manga), he didn't get a power boost. Jiren was already taking damage from blue-level fighters before Goku transformed, so it wasn't an increase in power that made Jiren start losing, but a change in technique. Goku always had the power necessary to hurt him. Even with Ultra Instinct, Jiren was still powerful enough to match up against Goku by using pure brute force.
there is no really determining difference in the 2 versions of jiren, like how the comparison between SSBKK and SSB 100%
for both cases, Jiren was holding back his power when fighting against other opponents if he did not defeat everyone in an instant and that's reason some can get to fight him (roshi)

dyspo, toppo and the others did not would ask help from him if he was not the strongest of the team.
I really would not have any logic that UI does not increase "power" if before goku does't have the speed or strength to beat jiren

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:21 pm

Tai Lung wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:34 pm there is no really determining difference in the 2 versions of jiren, like how the comparison between SSBKK and SSB 100%
for both cases, Jiren was holding back his power when fighting against other opponents if he did not defeat everyone in an instant and that's reason some can get to fight him (roshi)

dyspo, toppo and the others did not would ask help from him if he was not the strongest of the team.
I really would not have any logic that UI does not increase "power" if before goku does't have the speed or strength to beat jiren
By virtue of needing to trick Hit into an open position to sucker punch him out, and being held off by Goku in the background as a Super Saiyan Blue, manga Jiren is far weaker than anime Jiren (and also a far better character).
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:51 am

TKA wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:21 pm
Tai Lung wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:34 pm there is no really determining difference in the 2 versions of jiren, like how the comparison between SSBKK and SSB 100%

By virtue of needing to trick Hit into an open position to sucker punch him out, and being held off by Goku in the background as a Super Saiyan Blue, manga Jiren is far weaker than anime Jiren (and also a far better character).
Jiren is able to fight with Goku with only one arm and get his best attack without problems.
Goku clearly says that Jiren is holding back, that was the reason because he could hurt him
I see them equal with the same past but in the manga it is revealed that he wanted to revive his master, so jiren into a character who does not want to let go of the past, unlike the anime that had the same cliche but at least he did not have that obsession

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:22 am

Tai Lung wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:51 am
Jiren is able to fight with Goku with only one arm and get his best attack without problems.
Goku clearly says that Jiren is holding back, that was the reason because he could hurt him
I see them equal with the same past but in the manga it is revealed that he wanted to revive his master, so jiren into a character who does not want to let go of the past, unlike the anime that had the same cliche but at least he did not have that obsession
Seeing those panels of the predictable hopeless effort on the part of Goku just makes me think, "can't you try something besides standard punches, kicks, and the tedious Kamehameha climax?" I mean there's a number of techniques that could be used in ways that might allow for Jiren to get eliminated besides the futile direct assault you're staging. You've got the Taiyoken and Instant Transmission. Send a ki projectile out as a homing beacon to the abyss below, grab hold of Jiren, and teleport him into said abyss. It's not a dignified martial artist's duel but it'll hopefully work.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:37 am

So...this is what's being said about the new chapter...

No big turnaround this time.
As in Battle of God, there is a good limit in space.
The self-proclamation of being the strongest of Hisoka (Hunter X Hunter manga) is true in Dragon Ball.
Until the end it is only my impressions and predictions, but ...
Uub will he come? We come to a point that if Uub does not show up, we're not going anywhere.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:56 am

sintzu wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:37 am So...this is what's being said about the new chapter...

The self-proclamation of being the strongest of Hisoka (Hunter X Hunter manga) is true in Dragon Ball.
Uub will he come? We come to a point that if Uub does not show up, we're not going anywhere.
Uh... I need a translation...
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:02 am

Kanassa wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:56 am
sintzu wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:37 am So...this is what's being said about the new chapter...

That is the translation. Thank Google.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:55 am

sintzu wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:02 am
Kanassa wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:56 am

That is the translation. Thank Google.
I think I'm gonna put approximately 0 stock into this "summary", since what it says is as open to interpretation as it is, though I do agree with the notion that Uub should show up if what they mean by mentioning him is that we need to get to EoZ at some point. He wouldn't really fit in the Moro arc, but afterwards it'd be great if we moved from this timeframe. Doing so at any point would be great, really.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:25 am

These spoilers tell me absolutely nothing lol

But to be fair even when I do have an idea of what they are saying I usually end up not entirely agreeing with the person’s interpretation of events.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:11 pm

Kinokima wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:25 amThese spoilers tell me absolutely nothing lol
This may be better :

"He (Ryokutya) explains that this time, chapter 49 of Dragon Ball Super does not bring any major development in the arc of the prisoner of the Galactic Patrol. We find ourselves in a situation similar to Battle of Gods, when they were fighting in space. Ryokutya compares Moro to Hisoka in Hunter X Hunter, who always proclaims the best in the world. He also adds that he hopes that Uub will come, but again, Ryokutya's advice is often confusing, and he emphasizes it himself: "It remains a personal opinion". Better to wait for the first images to really understand what he means by that."

It looks like nothing major will happen.

head_cha_la
Not-So-Newbie

Post by head_cha_la » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:27 pm

What Ryokutya means is that we will go in circles until we get past the 28th Budōkai Tenkaichi, and honestly he can always wait I think Toriyama will never go further with the main story and we will exploit as much as possible the 4 years we have left. It's just my opinion. XD

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:40 pm

head_cha_la wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:27 pmWhat Ryokutya means is that we will go in circles until we get past the 28th Budōkai Tenkaichi.
It's not only Toriyama, everyone involved want to stay there because the characters are more marketable. They won't even let Goku and Vegeta change their outfits.

BrolySSJL
Not-So-Newbie

Post by BrolySSJL » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:05 pm

sintzu wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:40 pm
head_cha_la wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:27 pmWhat Ryokutya means is that we will go in circles until we get past the 28th Budōkai Tenkaichi.
It's not only Toriyama, everyone involved want to stay there because the characters are more marketable. They won't even let Goku and Vegeta change their outfits.
You are totally right... and it's a sad thing.

I like Super, but lacks of soul. Now only wants to sell, the quality doesn't really matter anymore. Of course the original DB and any other show wants to sell, but in this case is more obvious than anything: the characters doesn't age, same outfits, only Goku and Vegeta (I love them but man, at this point they're annoying), the arcs are all short, classic characters everywhere again and again (broly, frieza, ...), ...

My english is not perfect, but I think you can understand me :lol:

Tai Lung

Post by Tai Lung » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:00 pm

BrolySSJL wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:05 pm
You are totally right... and it's a sad thing.

I like Super, but lacks of soul. Now only wants to sell, the quality doesn't really matter anymore. Of course the original DB and any other show wants to sell, but in this case is more obvious than anything: the characters doesn't age, same outfits, only Goku and Vegeta (I love them but man, at this point they're annoying), the arcs are all short, classic characters everywhere again and again (broly, frieza, ...), ...

My english is not perfect, but I think you can understand me :lol:
I can agree with the idea of not aging for that reason, although I would not mind if there is retcon in the epilogue because you do not lose much. but only 2 times was there "recycled villains" really exaggerate that point

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:40 pm

I still don’t understand how Teen Goten/Marron/Trunks and kid Pan/Bra/Uub arent more marketable than them being forever children/infants.

head_cha_la
Not-So-Newbie

Post by head_cha_la » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:00 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:40 pm
I still don’t understand how Teen Goten/Marron/Trunks and kid Pan/Bra/Uub arent more marketable than them being forever children/infants.
I think Goten, Trunks, Bra and especially Marron have no future.