"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Matches Malone
Banned

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:11 am

Kanassa wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:05 amPlease tell me we won't be seeing Super Saiyan Voro. This new design already looks ugly enough, don't give it hair that will totally not fit!
That design with Ssj hair, the thing of nightmares. If Vegeta's powers are going to be his main set moving forward, then I think Vegeta's chances of taking him down just went up, as who's better to take him down then the very character who's moves he's using ?

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:56 am

Kinokima wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:27 am I personally would rather have Merus than MUI Goku as I feel MUI should be saved for something more special and when the arc is more focused on Goku which this arc isn’t
It’s the same reason I don’t really want Beerus to get involved. He has only had a couple small scenes and that just wouldn’t feel thematically appropriate
The reason why I am fine with Merus is because he has played a part this entire arc. And I feel the whole “Angel’s will disappear” and not doing anything with that would be Chekhov's gun at this point
Yes, Merus' intervention would be a natural progression of the story. Liking or disliking the idea is one thing, but the existence of a setup for it is another, and it is there. You don't normally add things like the angel law dialogue if you're not going to use it for anything. Though Chekhov's Gun isn't to not do anything with this setup; that'd be a red herring. Invoking Chekhov's Gun here would be to use the setup as expected.
Kinokima wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:27 am I would also be happy with a Goku/Vegeta tag team win that doesn’t involve fusion. Something that hasn’t really been done yet. Even a sort of reverse Kid Buu arc with Goku fighting Moro allowing Vegeta to do the spirit fission would be interesting too

At this point it’s most likely something we all all guessed. If it’s not than I fear a badly written plot twist
Well, yeah, it is going to be something people have already guessed. That's kinda unavoidable, considering how people have guessed practically everything (save for out-of-nowhere ridiculous plot twists). Of course you're gonna win if you bet on every single horse.
And personally I've been hoping for a UI Goku + Vegeta team-up fight as the climax battle of this arc for like a year now. I think that'd be the most satisfying way to do the final fight. It'd have to be done in such a way that you can't say "oh, Goku won and Vegeta just helped a bit" or "oh, Vegeta won and Goku just helped a bit", though, it should be a true team victory. If Toyotaro can pull that off, then I think it'd be better than just doing something unexpected for the sake of it being unexpected.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:19 am

Please help me understand something.

Merus is an angel. A trainee at that. Angels are beyond any concepts within the multiverse.

The Grand Priest assigned him to universe 7 to train and observe how the universe itself works. Attend without acting.

But, he has been a distinguished member of the time patrol, in a league on his own, for very long (or so does Jaco and Merus climbing the ranks of the group implies) time.

So we have Moro being imprisoned for God knows how long.

What gives Merus the motivation to act against Moro and didn't make him wonder what's going on with threats such as Freeza, Buu and the saiyans?

Why is he so invested to Moro? He didn't apprehend him. Despite his role pretty much being a contradiction to his angel duties already (a time patroller who 'enforces' justice).

Is it me, or is he poorly written after all and only served the purpose of training Goku for UI and introducing a non-Universe aligned Angel?
P O W E R

Femme Fatale Kikaza
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Femme Fatale Kikaza » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:49 am

Whatever happens, I'm just hoping pull anymore powers out of his ass, cause I the feeling when they get the edge over him in upcoming chapters, Moro being the hack villain he is is gonna pull more powers that he's never inferred to have used before and make the cast start at square one again.
The Dorkie and Ditzy member of the Trio! I'm as cute and as airheaded as you can get!

TheNingen
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheNingen » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:12 pm

Grand Marshal 1 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:19 am Is it me, or is he poorly written after all and only served the purpose of training Goku for UI and introducing a non-Universe aligned Angel?
Yes.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:16 pm

The Grand Priest implied Merus has only been deployed to U7 recently. It’s possible it happened when Freeza was already killed, so that’s why he never did something about him. He also had to do everything using mortal tools and not his Angel powers so of course he wouldn’t be able to defeat an army by himself.

Merus’ story is basically that by living too much with mortals he’s started to get fond of the Galactic Patrol and their cause, to the point he was willing to break his laws in order to help out.
He’s not fully convinced either by Whis words about how some things must happened and how they cannot do anything about it. He’s basically a reverse Zamasu who wants to save mortals instead of killing them.

Whether or not that’s badly written I think we can only judge once the arc is over and Merus’ character arc is complete.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:07 pm

emperior wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:16 pm The Grand Priest implied Merus has only been deployed to U7 recently. It’s possible it happened when Freeza was already killed, so that’s why he never did something about him. He also had to do everything using mortal tools and not his Angel powers so of course he wouldn’t be able to defeat an army by himself.

Merus’ story is basically that by living too much with mortals he’s started to get fond of the Galactic Patrol and their cause, to the point he was willing to break his laws in order to help out.
He’s not fully convinced either by Whis words about how some things must happened and how they cannot do anything about it. He’s basically a reverse Zamasu who wants to save mortals instead of killing them.

Whether or not that’s badly written I think we can only judge once the arc is over and Merus’ character arc is complete.
Except he could have dealt with Freeza before he got his army back together since most of his army died in Resurrection ‘F’, which would realistically should have taken months.

And even in Dragon Ball Super Broly, it’s implied the army is still very ragtag which is why they’re paying for recruits and they only get away with stuff because of Freeza being stronger than ever. So Merus could have taken down and arrested Freeza. He speed blitz and stunned both base form Goku and Vegeta before they knew what happened.

He probably still could arrest Freeza despite his army since we saw no powerful fighters under Freeza’s wing. So Meerus don’t have to deal with people like the Ginyu Force or even Zarbon.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:48 pm

HeroR wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:07 pm
emperior wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:16 pm The Grand Priest implied Merus has only been deployed to U7 recently. It’s possible it happened when Freeza was already killed, so that’s why he never did something about him. He also had to do everything using mortal tools and not his Angel powers so of course he wouldn’t be able to defeat an army by himself.

Except he could have dealt with Freeza before he got his army back together since most of his army died in Resurrection ‘F’, which would realistically should have taken months.

And even in Dragon Ball Super Broly, it’s implied the army is still very ragtag which is why they’re paying for recruits and they only get away with stuff because of Freeza being stronger than ever. So Merus could have taken down and arrested Freeza. He speed blitz and stunned both base form Goku and Vegeta before they knew what happened.

He probably still could arrest Freeza despite his army since we saw no powerful fighters under Freeza’s wing. So Meerus don’t have to deal with people like the Ginyu Force or even Zarbon.
Good luck getting near Freeza’s spaceship (or Planet) without being blown up.
It’s really implausible for a single man like Merus to be able to get to Freeza by only using his Galactic Patrol tools. He would need a top-tier spaceship which the Galactic Patrol most likely doesn’t have and even then it would be a suicide mission because Freeza’s army most likely has similar tools to Merus, so they would probably imprison him and he would have to resort to his angelic powers to evade.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:22 pm

emperior wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:48 pm
HeroR wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:07 pm

Good luck getting near Freeza’s spaceship (or Planet) without being blown up.
It’s really implausible for a single man like Merus to be able to get to Freeza by only using his Galactic Patrol tools. He would need a top-tier spaceship which the Galactic Patrol most likely doesn’t have and even then it would be a suicide mission because Freeza’s army most likely has similar tools to Merus, so they would probably imprison him and he would have to resort to his angelic powers to evade.
Why would it be hard since Meerus has a space suit and can surpressed his Ki since he was on Earth and neither Goku nor Vegeta sensed him. Satan has to literally call them. And Meerus probably do has his own special space ship when he literally has his own special space suit.

And you again ignore that it would have taken Freeza months to remotely get enough people to call an army and they’re still small since they’re literally paying for recruits. In fact, even in Resurrection ‘F’, Freeza’s Army was so weak that Jaco could one-man army them and nothing in Dragon Ball Super Broly shows that the quality mook is higher and we saw no heavy hitters.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:57 pm

I think they'll struggle to fight Moro for 30 minutes until his copied abilities wears off, then fuse into Gogeta. Vegeta's spirit control combined with Goku's ability to use UI will let them use MUI and they'll finish Moro off that way.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:02 pm

Moro is the first threat to the universe that is GoD level and the previous solution was gone. When Frieza came back the Frieza killer was still running around.

No need to get involved when Goku was likely going to kill Frieza again this is before anyone knew Frieza had got stronger.

By the time Golden Frieza was a threat Goku with God ki as well as Beerus and Whis had appeared. No reason for Meerus to get involved.

Same thing with Buu. The Buu arc took place over 5 days I believe and Buu was constantly getting challenged, actually a fluke he lives as long when you think about it.

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:21 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:40 am
DBZ Macky wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:17 am I think I might be missing something here, but can't Vegeta just remove Seven-Three from Moro?
I believe he can, otherwise why mention such an ability if it isn't going to play a role in the story.
According to the drafts, Vegeta says: ''Then again, I can just rip you (Moro) apart''

So yeah, apparently Spirit Fission works on Moro73

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:37 pm

Vegeta doesn’t need to touch 7-3 Moro for that. He drained the little Yardratians without coming anywhere close to them aswell. From a distance! Simply by sticking his hands out. The Elder Pybara did that too, to Vegeta. No physical contact requiered. I think the reason Vegeta did that through stomping Moro is because it just seems so perfectly appropriate! It’s Vegeta’s style! He wants a FIGHT! Get it? That’s what he does. He’s a Saiyan afterall. Also.. To showcase his new found hidden powers! To “test out“ his new, unlocked, fighting potential!

Femme Fatale Kikaza
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Femme Fatale Kikaza » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:10 pm

I kinda hope Moro can't do transformations like Super Saiyan. Like imagine how weird it would look. Just imagine it. The design would be nauseating to look at.
The Dorkie and Ditzy member of the Trio! I'm as cute and as airheaded as you can get!

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:34 pm

Femme Fatale Kikaza wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:10 pmI kinda hope Moro can't do transformations like Super Saiyan. Like imagine how weird it would look. Just imagine it. The design would be nauseating to look at.
Joking aside, he'd probably just get a Yellow or Blue aura instead of a physical change.
TheSaiyanGod wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:21 pmAccording to the drafts, Vegeta says: ''Then again, I can just rip you (Moro) apart''
In that case I'm now 100% sure that's what will happen. How it happens is a different story, as it'll probably be very hard to pull off.
GodVegetto91 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:37 pmVegeta doesn’t need to touch 7-3 Moro for that. He drained the little Yardratians without coming anywhere close to them aswell. From a distance! Simply by sticking his hands out. The Elder Pybara did that too, to Vegeta. No physical contact requiered.
I think draining someone's energy and defusing 2 people require different methods. If it was as simple as Vegeta just standing there it'd be too easy, so I think Goku will have to hold him in place in order for Vegeta to grab for it to work.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:55 am

The "Toyotaro Drew It!!" this month is a color drawing of Goku and Bardock blasting Freeza together. The drawing will be made into an action figure (not sure if it'll be two separate figures or a joined figure) that will be released in December.
https://dragonball.news/news/n200715010.html

The page goes on to talk about Toyotaro's thought process when creating the image (I'll wait for the Kanzenshuu translation, until then there's always Google Translate) and promotes some streaming services where you can watch the Bardock special.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:28 pm

This art of Bardock and Goku doing a father-son Kamehameha has been creating a lot of fuss.
Before the same happens here, let me address a few things.

First of all, I actually find the drawing to be really pleasing to look at. I am happy to see that Toyotaro keeps on improving.

Second, this is just PROMOTION for an upcoming figure. Toyotaro decided it would be cool to have this fanservicey scene as he’s a fan of the old Bardock.
That’s it. There’s nothing more to it. It’s not Toyotaro’s interpretation of the “bakayaro” scene nor does it retroactively change that scene in any kind of way.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:29 pm

Glad I'm not the only one who thought about that. Though my view is slightly different, instead of Bardock's spirit appearing just like Goku's spirit appears in Movie 10, it would be merely his sillhouette appearing on top of Goku's image. That's what should have happened. Huge missed opportunity.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:54 pm

Grimlock wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:29 pm Glad I'm not the only one who thought about that. Though my view is slightly different, instead of Bardock's spirit appearing just like Goku's spirit appears in Movie 10, it would be merely his sillhouette appearing on top of Goku's image. That's what should have happened. Huge missed opportunity.
I heavily disagree. Bardock (at least Toei’s Bardock) unlike Goku is not someone who would ever spare Freeza. That last blast of Goku was not something he wanted to do but something he was forced to do. That’s why the very next scene he’s sad. While Bardock would have been happy.

Including Bardock there would have been incredibly out of place. In the last moments of the special, he projected on his son his own hatred for Freeza and his will for revenge, “avenge the Saiyans, Kakarot” or something similar.
But Goku is different, he’s a Saiyan raised on Earth.
He accepted his Saiyan pride and heritage but always rejected their society and their ways.

To include Bardock there it would make the moment feel like “finally the Saiyans have been avenged”.
But that scene is quite the opposite of it. If anything, it’s one of the most symbolic of how different Goku is from other Saiyans, as he was still able to feel remorse and empathy toward such a being as Freeza.
All of that despite having become the legendary warrior of race, the being who was supposed to be a brutal bloodthirsty warrior.
It’s a very personal scene for Goku and it’s very characterizing.

Thank god this drawing is just a pure fantasy what-if.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:06 pm

emperior wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:54 pmThank god this drawing is just a pure fantasy what-if.
For now.