"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Noah » Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:59 pm

This is probably the first time I believe Toyotaro did something better than Toriyama.

People might think it was a lame twist to have Freeza show out of nowhere and kill these lame antagonists, but let's be honest: The Heeters overstayed their welcome. I though their demise was pretty cool (I wish Freeza killed Granola too).

Not only that but Toyotaro made it a more convincing reason for Freeza to come back stronger than freaking Ressurection of F!
Remember traning ONLY FOUR MONTHS to jump from an untrained SSJ tier to SSJGSS tier? That was stupid in so many levels!
What Toyotaro did was what I would like Toriyama had did it on the past.

I can now say stuff in the manga feel a bit more interesting than long time ago.

I wish Toyotaro had the balls to have the next arc be all about of Freeza trying to overthrow Beerus and having the latter finally using his full power, that would be an excellent premise!
FortuneSSJ wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:44 am First time since 2015 that we don't have a DBS chapter and Toyotaro has a break. Man needs to rest but I'm missing my DBS fix. :lol:
Is not like you can't watch Super DB Heroes shorts as they are far more engaging than Toyotaro's fluff :wink:
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:19 pm

How do you think they will announce the end of DBS manga break? Would it be personally by Toyotaro on his Twitter, or the official DB website?

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:54 pm

I believe it will be by Toyotaro on his Twitter or maybe V-Jump, let's be honest the official DB media has no need to do that, some fans are delusional about the manga being treated like a real deal after the Future Trunks arc, but it was never like that. See Super Hero director impressed by the interviewer acknowledging the manga: "Oh... I see you support DBS manga as well." by that reaction you already have your anwser.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:33 pm

Noah wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:54 pm I believe it will be by Toyotaro on his Twitter or maybe V-Jump, let's be honest the official DB media has no need to do that, some fans are delusional about the manga being treated like a real deal after the Future Trunks arc, but it was never like that. See Super Hero director impressed by the interviewer acknowledging the manga: "Oh... I see you support DBS manga as well." by that reaction you already have your anwser.
I'm pretty sure all the news about the manga (drafts, sketches, interviews, etc) have been posted on the new DB site. I don't know how it's delusion to expect the announcement of its return to be announced on that site since it seems anything new from the manga and Toyotaro have been posted there.

jjbgood
Not-So-Newbie

Post by jjbgood » Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:41 am

Noah wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:59 pm The Heeters overstayed their welcome.
Just like frieza.
HOST AND FOUNDER OF THE GERMAN DRAGON BALL PODCAST "KAMEHAMEHA".
ADVISOR FOR THE GERMAN DUB OF DRAGON BALL SUPER.
FAN FOR OVER 20 YEARS.
https://kame-hame-ha.de/

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:21 am

Don't know how many people know this so I will leave it here. In last month V-Jump there was a recap of DB story arcs and it was confirmed Belmod was a Pride Trooper before:

(Top left in Universe 11 section)

Toyotaro already had hinted at this in one of his illustrations, but such thing was never said in the manga or anime if I recall.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:53 am

I guess that the manga is basically a side product to keep at least some interest, but that statement long time ago about manga going forward and anime taking cues from it like in the old days was just a wishful and nostalgic comment rather than a real plan that they will adhere to.

Unless they really surprise us with out of nowhere about DB Anime returning and rebranding it Dragon Ball Super Super Grand Tour, or something like that, there will probably be some one more movie in the future.

I wish all the best to Toyotaro and to get some rest. This arc wasn't the best, but I wouldn't call it dissaster, it was just me having high hopes for pushing the sequel material further from homages and the same formula after being a fan for more than 20 years and went through GT and Super, that are basically DBZ with new designs emulating what we already saw in Z.

Looking forward to new arc out of curiosity, unless they cancel it, but honestly, I would end the franchise somehow for the time being.
I am kinda missing the DB and Z formula of still focusing on hand to hand combat with ki techniques being the highlight, now it is about whose ki is bigger and they seriously pushed the power level too far.

But Black Freeza's skirmish was fun. Reminded me of Gohan disposing of Cell Juniors.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

ankokudaishogun
Advanced Regular

Post by ankokudaishogun » Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:53 am

FortuneSSJ wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:21 am Don't know how many people know this so I will leave it here. In last month V-Jump there was a recap of DB story arcs and it was confirmed Belmod was a Pride Trooper before:

Toyotaro already had hinted at this in one of his illustrations, but such thing was never said in the manga or anime if I recall.
In the anime the Pride Troopers explicitly formed AROUND Jiren.

Manga and Anime Jiren, and thus the Pride Troopers, are very different characters with very different backstories.

Manga:
  • Pride Troopers exists
  • Belmod and Gicchin are part of them
  • Belmod drops them to become a GoD, about 11thousands years before ToP
  • Gicchin finds the talented Jiren, and brings him in the Pride Troopers to teach him teamwork
  • Gicchin dies
Anime:
  • A demon kills Jiren's family
  • Jiren trains, finda an unnamed master and allies
  • The demon kills Jiren's master and some of his allies, while other leave him
  • Jiren keeps training and defeating bad guys
  • Likeminded JUSTICE!!-seeking warriors ends up congregating around Jiren and form the Pride Troopers

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:12 am

ankokudaishogun wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:53 am
FortuneSSJ wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:21 am Don't know how many people know this so I will leave it here. In last month V-Jump there was a recap of DB story arcs and it was confirmed Belmod was a Pride Trooper before:

Manga and Anime Jiren, and thus the Pride Troopers, are very different characters with very different backstories.

Manga:
  • Pride Troopers exists
  • Gicchin finds the talented Jiren, and brings him in the Pride Troopers to teach him teamwork
  • Gicchin dies
Anime:
  • Likeminded JUSTICE!!-seeking warriors ends up congregating around Jiren and form the Pride Troopers
Anime Jiren is a Dragon Quest protagonist, literally

BagetaSama
Beyond Newbie

Post by BagetaSama » Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:58 pm

ankokudaishogun wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:53 am

Manga:
  • Pride Troopers exists
  • Gicchin dies
Anime:
I don't recall any mention of the Pride Troopers forming around Jiren in the anime

ankokudaishogun
Advanced Regular

Post by ankokudaishogun » Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:29 pm

BagetaSama wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:58 pm I don't recall any mention of the Pride Troopers forming around Jiren in the anime
Episode 127, where Belmod narrates Jiren's past.

Belmod saying "victory will bring companions" with the Pride Troopers appearing around Jiren.

Given there is no suggestion whatsoever that Jiren's Anime Master was involved with the Pride Troopers(he's shown not wearing the uniform, nor Jiren's early companions), and given Jiren's personality, I believe the Troopers assembling around Jiren(who attracted even the God of Destruction) makes much more sense than him joining a preexisting organization.

Plus there MIGHT have been some suggestion in the early pre-ToP episodes? But I might well remembering wrong.

Kakarotto92
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kakarotto92 » Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:24 pm

Looks like Elec was the first non-fighting main villain we had in Dragon Ball since Commander Red (that is, if he really died and won't ever return).

I was expecting him to survive this arc and perhaps get a power up later through OG73. I'm fine with this ending and the whole arc, but I kinda wish in the beginning of the next arc we were shown that Elec somehow survived and coming up with a new plan.

Nistarkail
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nistarkail » Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:34 am

No chapter for this month :(

EGonzo
Beyond Newbie

Post by EGonzo » Sun Oct 16, 2022 3:02 pm

Maybe the manga, like the anime, was rushed into production and now they're pausing to properly plan out what comes next.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:15 pm

EGonzo wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 3:02 pm Maybe the manga, like the anime, was rushed into production and now they're pausing to properly plan out what comes next.
I think it's more a case that Toyotaro is simply burnt out and deserves a break. While he has had a more forgiving schedule than some manga authors, he has been at this for nearly seven years.

That said, there have been major planning issues since the beginning with Super, as it was pretty much only made to ride the hype from the movies. Toriyama planned out three further arcs set after the movies but he evidently had issues communicating his ideas to all his collaborators, hence the increasingly extreme differences between the manga and anime interpretations of his notes. The Moro and Granolah arcs clearly had some planning put into them, but it feels like both were designed to have freewheeling sections where padding, filler and Toriyama-style pantsing could be slotted in. The Granolah arc had soooo much empty padding, I definitely think there was some behind-the-scenes problem going on. Maybe that's what Toyotaro has been struggling with? I'm looking forward to an interview where we get some explanation.

I've had my problems with the manga, but I would be a bit depressed if this turns out to be a long hiatus, or worse, a quiet backdoor cancellation. Not least because we've ended on a major cliffhanger.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:05 am

I recall Toyotaro's editor saying the next arc would start this year. Plans might've changed since then but Moro and Granolah arcs both started in a December (or November?) issue of the manga. There's still time!

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:18 am

Should the manga go lighter or remain a bit edgy with the villains from here on out? Moro & Gas were pretty hardcore-evil, even having moments of body horror in their attempts at adjusting their bodies to overwhelming power so should Toyotaro keep up with that intensity? Or should the series make a return to the gags of the past and have a more fun villain?
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:50 am

theherodjl wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:18 am Should the manga go lighter or remain a bit edgy with the villains from here on out? Moro & Gas were pretty hardcore-evil, even having moments of body horror in their attempts at adjusting their bodies to overwhelming power so should Toyotaro keep up with that intensity? Or should the series make a return to the gags of the past and have a more fun villain?
They can do both, Boo Arc being the perfect example. From silly and childish pink villain to bursting humans from the inside.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:16 am

LightBing wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:50 amThey can do both, Boo Arc being the perfect example. From silly and childish pink villain to bursting humans from the inside.
I was actually thinking more along the lines of Pilaf; an overconfident buffoon whose plans fall apart because his minions are also buffoons who make silly mistakes. There could still be room for a stoic dark horse to show up and be a legit challenge but it would be a nice change of pace to not be so serious.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:07 am

Anyone else embarrassed they didn't know the manga was on break. Seemed like at the time the story going around was just no chapter for a month then it was returning.