"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LightBing
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by LightBing » Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:21 am

Can't wait for them to make Bardock a time-traveler like in the special and the first ever SSG plus SSJ. Make him even the strongest Hakaishin ever before Beerus and the creator of Ultra Ego. What else? I don't know, crap writing as unlimited potential just like Bardock. :thumbup:

Jokes aside, a single chapter with a flashback is what I expect. Toyotarõ giving himself an excuse to draw and write Bardock.
It would be so much better if Goku was the reason for Granolah's change, if there's a Saiyan who has receipts about being a decent person it's Goku.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:52 am

LightBing wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:21 am It would be so much better if Goku was the reason for Granolah's change, if there's a Saiyan who has receipts about being a decent person it's Goku.
I don’t think Goku has the rhetorical skill to change the mind of someone like Granolah in that way. His way of changing others is simply beating them with martial arts, something he couldn’t do.
Not to mention that Goku wouldn’t be able to empathize with Granolah as much as Vegeta.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:17 am

PurestEvil wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:52 am
LightBing wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:21 am It would be so much better if Goku was the reason for Granolah's change, if there's a Saiyan who has receipts about being a decent person it's Goku.
I don’t think Goku has the rhetorical skill to change the mind of someone like Granolah in that way. His way of changing others is simply beating them with martial arts, something he couldn’t do.
Not to mention that Goku wouldn’t be able to empathize with Granolah as much as Vegeta.
Monaito could serve as mediator. They could all go to the Namek and have the testimonies. It's not really hard to pull off, specially with the Namekian connection.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:26 am

LightBing wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:17 am
Monaito could serve as mediator. They could all go to the Namek and have the testimonies. It's not really hard to pull off, specially with the Namekian connection.
Goku didn’t know about Monaito though?

Jinto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jinto » Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:43 am

Now that we talk about Bardock, what are the odds that they will tie DBS to Heroes ?

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:49 am

Jinto wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:43 am Now that we talk about Bardock, what are the odds that they will tie DBS to Heroes ?
Small chance. Heroes is only available in Japan, DBS is available around the globe.

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:54 am

Jinto wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:43 am Now that we talk about Bardock, what are the odds that they will tie DBS to Heroes ?
I can see it like this (on manga panels): Bardock saves Granolah and later he is shown to stood up to Frieza and then the explosion takes him back in time to Episode of Bardock (it's Heroes promotional material). I'd love it. The defenders of Holy Canon would be devastated. A truly wonderfull sight.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:09 am

PurestEvil wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:26 am
LightBing wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:17 am

Goku didn’t know about Monaito though?
He doesn't need to.
Monaito can be shoved into the middle of the fight the same way. Instead of talking about Bardock, they can make all the connections and reach the point that Goku and Vegeta aren't evil yadayada...

Jinto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jinto » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:00 am

PurestEvil wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:49 am
Small chance. Heroes is only available in Japan, DBS is available around the globe.
That would be a reason to tie them together if they want to make heroes international.
I talk about it because Bardock being saved by Mira and Towa was the quickstart of it all.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:12 am

Jinto wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:00 am
That would be a reason to tie them together if they want to make heroes international.
I talk about it because Bardock being saved by Mira and Towa was the quickstart of it all.
If they wanted to make Heroes international, they would develop console version of the game

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:16 pm

eeeh...I really, really, really hope that they don't try to make Heroes or the time stuff canon. Look--Hereos is nonsense. It only works because it's plainly advertising material for an arcade game. But the moment the push that button is the moment they inevitably just bring anyone and everyone back because of "timey-wimey" bullshit.

Also..that' s what Heroes is for...so you can get your blatant fan-service without it infecting the main canon.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:14 am

PurestEvil wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:12 am
Jinto wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:00 am

If they wanted to make Heroes international, they would develop console version of the game
I don't think we'll ever see a console version of the current arcade game because they want people to pay at the arcade machine to play, they make a lot of money from the arcade machine and selling cards. The closest we'll get is something like SDBH World Mission, which never gets the latest missions from the arcade

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:19 am

As long as this is still a Toriyama-helmed story, I'd venture basically none.

I would personally welcome Towa and Mira being re-appropriated into Super though, since they're already Toriyama villains and they're fun/weird. Removed from any existing video-game lore though.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:45 am

So this has probably been the longest, and maybe best, conversation-based fight in DBS. We've had 5 chapters (about 210 pages??) of this. The clash of personalities is the nugget at the center, but this is Dragon Ball, so building a fight around it was probably the way to go. Sure, the choreography, abilities, and transformations have all been fun, but the conversation, especially between Vegeta and Granolla, really stands out for me. Compare this to Moro's fights, which were about showing off cool abilities, or Broly, which was an over-the-top spectacle. Aside from the ToP, which was a mashup of dozens of interactions, the Future Trunks arc had a bit of this (Vegeta talking to Black about defiling Saiyan cells, or Goku trying to convince Zamasu that Black was manipulating him), but not to this extent or quality (although I love SSB Goku vs Merged Zamasu).

cactus

Post by cactus » Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:25 pm

batistabus wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:45 am So this has probably been the longest, and maybe best, conversation-based fight in DBS. We've had 5 chapters (about 210 pages??) of this. The clash of personalities is the nugget at the center, but this is Dragon Ball, so building a fight around it was probably the way to go. Sure, the choreography, abilities, and transformations have all been fun, but the conversation, especially between Vegeta and Granolla, really stands out for me. Compare this to Moro's fights, which were about showing off cool abilities, or Broly, which was an over-the-top spectacle. Aside from the ToP, which was a mashup of dozens of interactions, the Future Trunks arc had a bit of this (Vegeta talking to Black about defiling Saiyan cells, or Goku trying to convince Zamasu that Black was manipulating him), but not to this extent or quality (although I love SSB Goku vs Merged Zamasu).
I agree with you, Although I really enjoyed the moro fights this battle was much better IMO. I really enjoyed the fight itself visually and the conversation with Vegeta and Granolah made it even better. Probably my favorite fight so far in DBS from a narrative standpoint and Bardock being mentioned during this fight made me love it even more. Can't wait to see what happens next chapter with the explanation of Bardock!

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:12 am

I honestly feel inclined to reread the last three chapters. I can't get enough of Vegeta in this arc already.

cactus

Post by cactus » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:21 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:12 am I honestly feel inclined to reread the last three chapters. I can't get enough of Vegeta in this arc already.
I feel the same way lol love this arc so far and makes it better since vegeta is my favorite as well. IMO Moro and the Granolah Arcs (early but still) have surpassed ToP for me already.

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:12 pm

batistabus wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:45 am So this has probably been the longest, and maybe best, conversation-based fight in DBS. We've had 5 chapters (about 210 pages??) of this.
While I agree with the sentiment, I'd say most of the conversationally relevant bits were relegated to the tail end of the fight. It's about 2 chapters' worth of this stuff, which I actually don't think is all that structurally dissimilar from the final Moro battle. The Tournament of Power does the most with its interactions whereas the Future Trunks arc comes up weakest on this front.

Still, this month's chapter is easily the most compelling one we've had in two arcs, so that's something.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:27 am

Mr Baggins wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:12 pm It's about 2 chapters' worth of this stuff, which I actually don't think is all that structurally dissimilar from the final Moro battle.
I take your point. I guess I just find this stuff a lot juicer and more connected than the Moro climax (and even more so than the battle on Namek). The final battle of that arc is fun, chaotic, and full of pay-offs. Even so, it doesn't feel like Goku and Moro are having a conversation the way Vegeta and Granolah are. In my view, the "conversation" is between Goku and Merus, and even that feels less personal than what just happened in the current arc. (It's also less direct; Merus is absent for a significant part of the battle, and their bond is largely implied through intermittent scenes.) Goku does the Goku to Moro (partially as a rebuttal to Merus), but it doesn't reveal much about Goku that we couldn't have already known, and Moro remains a straightforward character.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:38 am

I don't think it's just about the conversation but the explicit background of the fight. Vs Moro they were fighting because one wanted to kill the other, Broly was out of control, the ToP had some trash talk and an urgency, but this one has revenge, extinction, pride as reasons to why try and kill the other guy.
At least that's what's appealing the most to me, what's fueling them, what it means to them, like those boxing matches with two guys with a history instead of just two random dudes beating each other for cash.