"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Majin Jator
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Majin Jator » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:17 am

There seems to be a conscious effort in this arc* for making a broader use of the cast. I would prefer if there was some "middle-bosses" to fight instead of just goons, but that may be a matter of time (future arcs) if they keep moving in this direction.
And att least mah boi Buu got the chance to do some major kicking.

*You could say that such trend started with the Tournament of Power (at least in the anime) but I assumed it would be a one and only thing. And maybe it is, so let's enjoy it will it lasts!.

Block88
Beyond Newbie

Post by Block88 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:16 pm

I don’t get why people want him to be the Grand priest?
Sure he wants to visit there but that could’ve been an anime only mention other than that it makes no sense

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:44 pm

Block88 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:16 pm I don’t get why people want him to be the Grand priest?
Sure he wants to visit there but that could’ve been an anime only mention other than that it makes no sense
It's in the manga too. After Goku takes future Zeno to present Zeno.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:57 pm

I'm late, but I definitely loved this chapter. I was hating on basically everything related to Merus before because there was 0 indication of why this random blaster + jet booster using fighter who seemingly had limited knowledge of ki could be so physically impressive compared to the likes of Goku, Vegeta, and Moro, but now that more's revealed, it makes the character much more interested instead of feeling contrived like I previously thought. Honestly, I feel like a bit of an idiot for my earlier criticisms, but I like when the writer can do that and it make some sense. The reveal of "why" he's so strong could still fall flat, but the intrigue leaves me high on the chapter overall.

I'm mixed on the idea of Vegeta learning more mystical martial arts "gimmicks" like Goku and the Earthlings. I like the development 'Geets gets from this but I think him getting the "cloning", gigantification, or other gimmicks similar to the Earthlings makes him too similar to them, and makes them less unique as well ... and let's face it, truly obsolete. Let's hope Vegeta gets IT and maybe something more unique to continue to set him apart from Goku and the others.

I loved all the Piccolo content. Finally, a side character that isn't pointlessly embarrassed and whose power is actually acknowledged and respected. I fully expected to have some trouble with these mooks or be disrespected by them in some way, but his defeat of them was as effortless as it should have been. He did look kind of silly letting them go after only asking a few vague and ineffectual questions, but he was still able to capture them at the very least. It's much more competence than I expected, since he has been shown as incompetent for so long in Super.

I loved the Goku vs Merus' sparring session and the reveal of the time chamber and the little tease of Merus' true power and his reasoning for using the chamber to hide his power. The mystery of why he's hiding his power is strong for me and makes me really really want to get my hands on the next chapter on the 20th.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:06 pm

Does anyone have the volume 10 spineart? I was given this image that goes up to volume 9 last time. That yellow trail under Hit has got me curious what it could be.

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:12 pm

Skar wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:06 pm Does anyone have the volume 10 spineart? I was given this image that goes up to volume 9 last time. That yellow trail under Hit has got me curious what it could be.
Perfect timing, I just bought the volume from my local bookstore.

Here's the spine art.

While I'm at it, I don't think anybody shared a pic of the paperback back cover so here's that.

Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:34 am

Rakurai wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:12 pm Perfect timing, I just bought the volume from my local bookstore.

Here's the spine art.

While I'm at it, I don't think anybody shared a pic of the paperback back cover so here's that.

Thank you! It looks like there are at least two more volumes to complete the image of Jiren but it's still unclear what that yellow trail is. Someone on here had a theory that it could be Uub on the Nimbus facing the opposite direction of the others.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:10 pm

Well, it seems Toyotaro once again has subverted expectations. Many were saying this felt like a filler arc but has definitely turned into an arc which has increased in scale. It's a saga that changes our protagonist's future in Dragonball forever. Goku is training with someone other than Whis who knows about Ultra Instinct. Merus, a mysterious character of the Galactic Patrol. Vegeta overcoming his pride and venturing into new territory on Yardrat. The enemies not only affected Namek but the rest of the galaxy. As the enemy's intrigue has now reached earth. Fomenting the rest of the Z fighters to get involved. All thanks to a villain that can not be fought the usual DB way, in Moro.

I'm excited.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:24 pm

I was wondering how it comes Manga Volumes by Viz release around every 6 months? For instance, DBS Volume 4 released around 6 months earlier on Amazon than DBS Volume 5. And that has been going on consistently so for the past few years. With around 4-6 months between each volume’s release. Is it really taking them that much time to finish/release them on Amazon? Right now, the ToP hasn’t even started yet on my country’s amazon website.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:04 am

GodVegetto91 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:24 pm I was wondering how it comes Manga Volumes by Viz release around every 6 months? For instance, DBS Volume 4 released around 6 months earlier on Amazon than DBS Volume 5. And that has been going on consistently so for the past few years. With around 4-6 months between each volume’s release. Is it really taking them that much time to finish/release them on Amazon? Right now, the ToP hasn’t even started yet on my country’s amazon website.
Viz redraws all of the sound effects into English for the collected volume releases. Additionally, physical distribution across America is infinitely more of a pain in the ass compared to a geographically-smaller country like Japan or Spain or Italy.

These are the primary factors that lead to the collected volumes trailing "far" "behind" the ongoing serialization.

That being said: new chapters are released online for free not just day and date, but to the actual time zone, with its Japanese publication. Y'all don't know how good you have it!

(Quite frankly, I'm a bit shocked at how much Shueisha let the collected volumes in Japan catch up with the serialization. I guess when volumes are only four chapters these days, they can project and keep a pretty consistent schedule compared to back when the chapters varied in page count.)
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:16 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:04 am
GodVegetto91 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:24 pm I was wondering how it comes Manga Volumes by Viz release around every 6 months? For instance, DBS Volume 4 released around 6 months earlier on Amazon than DBS Volume 5. And that has been going on consistently so for the past few years. With around 4-6 months between each volume’s release. Is it really taking them that much time to finish/release them on Amazon? Right now, the ToP hasn’t even started yet on my country’s amazon website.
Viz redraws all of the sound effects into English for the collected volume releases. Additionally, physical distribution across America is infinitely more of a pain in the ass compared to a geographically-smaller country like Japan or Spain or Italy.

These are the primary factors that lead to the collected volumes trailing "far" "behind" the ongoing serialization.

That being said: new chapters are released online for free not just day and date, but to the actual time zone, with its Japanese publication. Y'all don't know how good you have it!

(Quite frankly, I'm a bit shocked at how much Shueisha let the collected volumes in Japan catch up with the serialization. I guess when volumes are only four chapters these days, they can project and keep a pretty consistent schedule compared to back when the chapters varied in page count.)
Thanks for the answer. It helped a lot. I know volume 6 is supposed to be released (any day!) now on Amazon.nl (dutch version) so that’s great for me. With the 7th volume releasing in december. I always read on my kindle app. Instant access after a one click buy xD

Liquir
Beyond Newbie

Post by Liquir » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:15 am

Chapter 53 Ryokutya "leak"/ thoughts on the chapter:
http://ryokutya2089.com/archives/25050
Translation:

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:44 am

Liquir wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:15 am Chapter 53 Ryokutya "leak"/ thoughts on the chapter:
Translation:
Ok, first of all, can't go with Ryouta (I presume that's them saying this) that abilities being useful is bad for DB. That's what we've wanted forever! To have fights not be just about who's stronger.

Second...they're totally talking about Merus aren't they. That's who he is, that's going to be the reveal. Not a bad twist if so, not something people have guessed.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:10 am

Kataphrut wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:44 am Second...they're totally talking about Merus aren't they. That's who he is, that's going to be the reveal. Not a bad twist if so, not something people have guessed.
You mean Merus would be somebody's body change? Sounds random but I guess it's plausible.
I just don't see him dying already next month.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:19 pm

Xeogran wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:10 am
Kataphrut wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:44 am Second...they're totally talking about Merus aren't they. That's who he is, that's going to be the reveal. Not a bad twist if so, not something people have guessed.
You mean Merus would be somebody's body change? Sounds random but I guess it's plausible.
I just don't see him dying already next month.
If it really is a body-switch type of power then the character in question is probably one of Moro's lackeys. Either one of the Raspberry gang has this hidden power or the others arrive on Earth.
With Merus- well, I guess that depends on how the angel theory pans out.

Anyway these comments tend to be extremely misguiding a lot of the time.

Noitsnothim
Regular

Post by Noitsnothim » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:17 pm

I honestly Hope Merus is the real merus and not someone else in his body that'd be so lame (especially since he's pretty cool)

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:23 pm

It’s probably one of the goons who will take over Gohan’s body when they come to earth and lose in the end. Random fodder.

wolflonnie
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wolflonnie » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:36 am

I don't like this copy-pasting abilities. Makes Ginyu less unique.

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:50 am

Kataphrut wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:44 am
Liquir wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:15 am Chapter 53 Ryokutya "leak"/ thoughts on the chapter:
Translation:
Ok, first of all, can't go with Ryouta (I presume that's them saying this) that abilities being useful is bad for DB. That's what we've wanted forever! To have fights not be just about who's stronger.

Second...they're totally talking about Merus aren't they. That's who he is, that's going to be the reveal. Not a bad twist if so, not something people have guessed.
Wait what? Ryokutya literally says it's a new character. He's 99.99% not talking about Merus.
GodVegetto91 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:23 pm It’s probably one of the goons who will take over Gohan’s body when they come to earth and lose in the end. Random fodder.
This. I'm betting it's just a random fodder with a gimmick of Ginyu's ability.

If any ability is supposed to be broken, it's Guldo's ability to freeze time by stopping his breath.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:45 am

I've really enjoyed the arc so far, Vegeta looks great in Yardrat gear.