"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:28 am

Nice! Now, let's go over the Tournament at the End of Z finally :) I want some Goku and Uub adventures...
But really, where can Dragon Ball really go next? Z with the epilogue in manga was pretty much done... Super added so much, manga included, that now I have really this feeling that everything was done. And GT is kinda like Sequel Trilogy of Star Wars.

Tough I liked some tidbits in the last chapter, like Goten and Trunks having fun on the island reservation, wearing the same clothes as 17 (which is probably the official ranger uniform then). The rest being hidden away on Kami's Lookout like always, even tough he haven't seen their evacuation. It's these bits and pieces that I miss in Super sometimes, if they don't create plotholes like Pilaf did.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:56 am

Writers always do things for a reason, and that includes Toriyama and Toyotaro. They wouldn't show Uub TWICE in the two most recent arcs for no reason. The End of Z will take place in the arc after this upcoming one, and that's only because Moro is too much of a garbage villain to be the "final boss" of Super.

In the meantime, you can say goodbye to GT as the only sequel to End of Z.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:25 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:56 am Writers always do things for a reason, and that includes Toriyama and Toyotaro. They wouldn't show Uub TWICE in the two most recent arcs for no reason.
There was a reason, to explain why Goku still cares about Kid Buu's reincarnation after all of his God powerups. Whether that confirms an EoZ sequel or not, nothing is set in stone.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:55 am

Xeogran wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:25 am
SupremeKai25 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:56 am Writers always do things for a reason, and that includes Toriyama and Toyotaro. They wouldn't show Uub TWICE in the two most recent arcs for no reason.
There was a reason, to explain why Goku still cares about Kid Buu's reincarnation after all of his God powerups. Whether that confirms an EoZ sequel or not, nothing is set in stone.
They didn't need to include Uub in the Tournament of Power arc if that was their sole objective, just like they wouldn't care about Goku and Uub's relationship at all if they had no plan to get to the End of Z.

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:07 am

To me the whole thing is not that Daikaioshin passed THE AMOUNT OF GOD KI (like "hey you, take this 100 points of energy"), but passed the SKILL TO DEVELOP IT to Kid Buu.
So Uub is practically able to naturally develop God Ki since his birth and in big amounts, even if he's not actually able to use it.

WTF I missed the quote, whoever you are, that's my reply.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:33 am

Xeogran wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:25 am
Yeah I think we saw Uub so we are moving to the EOZ next is certainly a stretch

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:41 am

If we do move to EOZ I'll be so mad if Trunks and Goten still don't fight. When they are adults there's no reason to keep them out of the action, they better be involved in the next arc in some way since they refused to do anything with them as kids.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:31 am

precita wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:41 am If we do move to EOZ I'll be so mad if Trunks and Goten still don't fight. When they are adults there's no reason to keep them out of the action, they better be involved in the next arc in some way since they refused to do anything with them as kids.
Anything is a possibility but saying it’s definitely going to happen because we saw Uub is not exactly the best argument

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:50 am

Kinokima wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:31 am
precita wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:41 am If we do move to EOZ I'll be so mad if Trunks and Goten still don't fight. When they are adults there's no reason to keep them out of the action, they better be involved in the next arc in some way since they refused to do anything with them as kids.
Anything is a possibility but saying it’s definitely going to happen because we saw Uub is not exactly the best argument
They are obviously going to reach the End of Z soon, and since Dragon Ball Super is one of the most popular and profitable shows in the world, there's no reason to drop the show when they reach that point. So it's a natural development to move past that point eventually.

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:54 pm

I will not miss the kids, they doesn't have anything special to say or do at this point. They belong to the era of SSJ, and grow nothing since that. Seeying them going SSJ3 will be a joke - it WAS a joke in fact.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:14 pm

Actually, there is a reason: they don't care anymore. Goten is going on dates and forced to train for the TB by Goku, and Trunks... I don't remember what he had going on but he wasn't happy when Vegeta told him he'd be participating too.

With their parents being so OP, and the new prospect Uub on the way, I don't know what could get them to change their minds about fighting. It'd be nice, though.

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:19 pm

So after reading this chapter I was willing to give the arc as a whole a 7 out of 10. But after reading the arc from the beginning, it gets a 6/10 at best. It started out promising, but Toyotaro totally butchered the character of Moro. Easily the worst Dragon Ball Villian. Had no motivation, no personality, and his Magic was retconned into being weaker after he landed on Earth. And he hardly used any magic in the final battle. Why use a bunch of arms when he could do the same thing he did on Namek with the fire and the lava. That was cool stuff, more of that would have been great. Moro could have been the best villain in Dragon Ball Super, he had so much potential at the start and Toyotaro mucked it up.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:38 pm

DiscountDabi wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:19 pm So after reading this chapter I was willing to give the arc as a whole a 7 out of 10. But after reading the arc from the beginning, it gets a 6/10 at best. It started out promising, but Toyotaro totally butchered the character of Moro. Easily the worst Dragon Ball Villian. Had no motivation, no personality, and his Magic was retconned into being weaker after he landed on Earth. And he hardly used any magic in the final battle. Why use a bunch of arms when he could do the same thing he did on Namek with the fire and the lava. That was cool stuff, more of that would have been great. Moro could have been the best villain in Dragon Ball Super, he had so much potential at the start and Toyotaro mucked it up.
Though while I enjoyed the arc overall I agree Moro did not live up to his initial promise at all

Also I am disappointed that the throughout the arc it seemed they would have to come up with something else besides a power up to beat Moro but in the end it still came down to a battle of Power. The ending with all the characters contributing to the win definitely saved it for me but I still feel this wasn’t the arc to bring back Mastered UI.

And I didn’t like the Senzu Bean scene but we went over that one enough.

I will say I feel this ending was way more satisfying for me than the TOP or Future Trunks arc so while there were a lot of flaws it doesn’t leave me on a sour note.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:14 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:14 pm
Actually, there is a reason: they don't care anymore. Goten is going on dates and forced to train for the TB by Goku, and Trunks... I don't remember what he had going on but he wasn't happy when Vegeta told him he'd be participating too.

With their parents being so OP, and the new prospect Uub on the way, I don't know what could get them to change their minds about fighting. It'd be nice, though.
I mean it's no different than what they do with Gohan all the time. Trunks/Goten don't have to be interested in fighting all the time but if the story calls for it they can be used again.

Neon Z
Advanced Regular

Post by Neon Z » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:27 pm

That's actually the big reason I'd guess they want to take as long as possible to get to end of Z. It becomes even harder to excuse Trunks and Goten not being involved if they're older teens rather than children.

Just imagine if they show that due to them slacking they're somehow weaker than the humans in order to justify keeping them away from the group battles.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:49 pm

Neon Z wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:27 pm
That's actually the big reason I'd guess they want to take as long as possible to get to end of Z. It becomes even harder to excuse Trunks and Goten not being involved if they're older teens rather than children.

Just imagine if they show that due to them slacking they're somehow weaker than the humans in order to justify keeping them away from the group battles.
Trunks adult form is very popular, it's the same reason he was a main character in the beginning of GT. If Trunks is in his adult form again I find it hard to believe they wouldn't want to use him. He's not "Future Trunks" but for all intents and purposes his personality becomes a clone of his future self whenever he's aged up.

And Goten and Trunks are kind of a packaged deal, so if Trunks gets more involved I can't see Goten being left out. Seeing adult Gotenks in canon might be something they want to do too.

Neon Z
Advanced Regular

Post by Neon Z » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:39 pm

precita wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:49 pm
Neon Z wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:27 pm

Trunks adult form is very popular, it's the same reason he was a main character in the beginning of GT. If Trunks is in his adult form again I find it hard to believe they wouldn't want to use him. He's not "Future Trunks" but for all intents and purposes his personality becomes a clone of his future self whenever he's aged up.

And Goten and Trunks are kind of a packaged deal, so if Trunks gets more involved I can't see Goten being left out. Seeing adult Gotenks in canon might be something they want to do too.
I know that they're popular. My "just imagine" was more like a "just imagine the backlash". The reason they're getting shafted right now though is lack of interest from Toriyama specifically, so I'm not sure them getting older would change anything. Note that in the beginning of Super Toei pushed Goten and Trunks a lot in marketing and even in anime-original scenes and episodes, but even Toei eventually kind of gave up since there wasn't really space for them in Toriyama's plot and they slowly were pushed aside even in promo images.

Early promo art had Goten and Trunks front and center, but eventually they gave up.

Toyotaro has acted in a similar way, putting aside the manga being more rushed before the current arc. He has given them some acknowledgement (even featuring them in covers for the ToP volumes for example), but even in the Moro arc they were kept away from the main action team.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:52 pm

I've going over the arc, the Namek portion, and there are some stuff worth mentioning:

- Apparently, Moro never encountered strong guys like G&V in his time, confirming that the DKS was below post-ToP SSB level even before losing most of his power stealing Moro's magic. Also explaining why the DKS struggled with the much weaker Buu. Uub's amazing input last chapter might be the result of that power + Kid Buu's potential.
- The way the energy absorption worked does seem to have changed over the course of the arc. At first when absorbing the planet's energy, he also absorbed the people's ki on it, so the lock onto the enemy thing shouldn't be a problem when trying to eat someone. Plus, he used to do it while taking a beating too.
- Moro taking 3 days to gather the DB, while G&V are out seems too much. He is sooo much stronger than Freeza, can sense the DBs, so how come?
- I've read people complaining about the missing Magetta planet, but there's a Magetta working Moro's ship. It looks like Beerus, Freeza or something wiped out that place.
- DKS says Buu let him use his original form only to fight Moro. What Buu could he referring to? the Fat one that is essentialy made of him or the actual Kid Buu -or the pink flubber thing he is made of- that lies inside of him?

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:11 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:56 am Writers always do things for a reason, and that includes Toriyama and Toyotaro. They wouldn't show Uub TWICE in the two most recent arcs for no reason. The End of Z will take place in the arc after this upcoming one, and that's only because Moro is too much of a garbage villain to be the "final boss" of Super.

Toriyama doesn't like that period of Dragon Ball with the cast being old, so there will probably be a really big retcon. With Uub appearing, I'm guessing we'll see the kids look like teens, but everyone else will look like they haven't aged.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:24 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:11 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:56 am Writers always do things for a reason, and that includes Toriyama and Toyotaro. They wouldn't show Uub TWICE in the two most recent arcs for no reason. The End of Z will take place in the arc after this upcoming one, and that's only because Moro is too much of a garbage villain to be the "final boss" of Super.

Toriyama doesn't like that period of Dragon Ball with the cast being old, so there will probably be a really big retcon. With Uub appearing, I'm guessing we'll see the kids look like teens, but everyone else will look like they haven't aged.
Bulma will probably keep her current Super look at the least, she looked like an old lady in EOZ. :lol: