"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Skar
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Skar » Thu May 05, 2022 12:49 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 5:47 amThere were at least two points in time when DBS overtook One Piece in terms of ratings:

https://www.crunchyroll.com/en-gb/anime ... se-ratings

https://comicbook.com/anime/news/dragon ... e-ratings/

Are you sure that DBS couldn't compete with One Piece?
It isn't really a fair comparison because DBS is a revival which are usually made to temporarily boost demand for that series while OP has been airing non-stop for over two decades. I'm pretty sure there have been other anime over the years with higher ratings than OP for a few episodes before OP overtook them again.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Thu May 05, 2022 5:08 pm

Skar wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:49 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 5:47 amThere were at least two points in time when DBS overtook One Piece in terms of ratings:

https://www.crunchyroll.com/en-gb/anime ... se-ratings

https://comicbook.com/anime/news/dragon ... e-ratings/

Are you sure that DBS couldn't compete with One Piece?
It isn't really a fair comparison because DBS is a revival which are usually made to temporarily boost demand for that series while OP has been airing non-stop for over two decades. I'm pretty sure there have been other anime over the years with higher ratings than OP for a few episodes before OP overtook them again.
Dragonball Super and One Piece aired together as a single one-hour programming block, the majority of viewers watching one of them on live television watched the other one as well. They were never competing for ratings, they were helping each other out by attracting viewers to each other.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Fri May 06, 2022 12:57 pm

Adamant wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 5:08 pmDragonball Super and One Piece aired together as a single one-hour programming block, the majority of viewers watching one of them on live television watched the other one as well. They were never competing for ratings, they were helping each other out by attracting viewers to each other.
That makes sense. I don't think they're meant to compete there's owned by the same companies and their fanbases of the popular shonen series overlap. I was talking about a series occasionally having higher ratings than OP doesn't necessarily mean it could have the same longterm success.

dblack
Beyond Newbie

Post by dblack » Sat May 07, 2022 4:18 am

Jiren The Alpha wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 11:00 am
dblack wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:11 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:16 pm
Goku unlocking MUI scene is almost a frame for frame re-make of Hiei using Dragon of the Darkness Flame in the Dark Tournament from Yu Yu Hakusho. 😁

I still thought it was cool too, but when I saw how blatant of a re-make that scene was I started to question if they are doing anything original.
That reach is so long you could slap the moon.
Go watch them and tell me I’m wrong. 😅
Ultimate move, they hit themselves with it, return in tornado with new powerup. The look of MUI is even very similar.

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Sat May 07, 2022 5:02 am

dblack wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 4:18 am
Jiren The Alpha wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 11:00 am
dblack wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:11 pm
Goku unlocking MUI scene is almost a frame for frame re-make of Hiei using Dragon of the Darkness Flame in the Dark Tournament from Yu Yu Hakusho. 😁

I still thought it was cool too, but when I saw how blatant of a re-make that scene was I started to question if they are doing anything original.
That reach is so long you could slap the moon.
Go watch them and tell me I’m wrong. 😅
Ultimate move, they hit themselves with it, return in tornado with new powerup. The look of MUI is even very similar.
You should post the vids of em, or a visual comparison between em lol

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Thu May 12, 2022 5:21 am

Does anyone know if we're getting drafts this week? They usually are announced on Weekly Dragon Ball News with a singular panel, but this time there was nothing and the 14th is on a weekend, not sure if the website updates then.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Thu May 12, 2022 12:37 pm

Xeogran wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 5:21 am Does anyone know if we're getting drafts this week? They usually are announced on Weekly Dragon Ball News with a singular panel, but this time there was nothing and the 14th is on a weekend, not sure if the website updates then.
Unlikely but could either the leaks (I know it's not shueisha) or perhaps sorta some kinda spoilers for the film might make them stall?
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu May 12, 2022 12:47 pm

Xeogran wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 5:21 am Does anyone know if we're getting drafts this week? They usually are announced on Weekly Dragon Ball News with a singular panel, but this time there was nothing and the 14th is on a weekend, not sure if the website updates then.

@DbsHype
·
15h
Dragon Ball Super Chapter 84 drafts should be officially releasing in about 24 hours.

Full chapter officially releases May 19th

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Thu May 12, 2022 2:55 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:47 pm @DbsHype
·
15h
Dragon Ball Super Chapter 84 drafts should be officially releasing in about 24 hours.

Hmm interesting, guess I'll stay up and see if they come tonight. Very hyped for this chapter.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Thu May 12, 2022 3:08 pm

Xeogran wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 2:55 pm
Koitsukai wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:47 pm @DbsHype
·
15h

Hmm interesting, guess I'll stay up and see if they come tonight. Very hyped for this chapter.
Will you actually make it this time though

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Fri May 13, 2022 5:05 am

Well, did he?

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Fri May 13, 2022 10:01 am

Shorty GZ2 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 5:05 am Well, did he?
Woke up 3 hours after the drafts :lol:
At least I read them with the translation right away

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Fri May 13, 2022 10:42 am

Xeogran wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 10:01 am
Shorty GZ2 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 5:05 am Well, did he?
Woke up 3 hours after the drafts :lol:
At least I read them with the translation right away
Lmao same, I basically slept through the whole initial drama

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Wed May 18, 2022 10:51 pm

Gosh, I'm glad that Bardock didn't sound so lame when was explained. I was about to rant it was a way to dimish Goku's character to have him to always overcome his challenges, but that wasn't the way around and just for him and Raditz to grow up well until adults.

Edit: Sh*t it actually dimishes his feats in early DB and/or why he wasn't killed by Tao or Piccolo :roll:
Last edited by Noah on Wed May 18, 2022 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed May 18, 2022 11:03 pm

Toriyama's writing keeps on getting worse IMO.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Thu May 19, 2022 5:10 am

Hellspawn28 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:03 pm Toriyama's writing keeps on getting worse IMO.
Toyotarou is the writer. Toriyama gives his ideas and accepts changes without thinking about them, he sometimes corrects the drawings. But yeah, it's worse and worse each month.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Thu May 19, 2022 9:54 am

The wish isn't particularly good because it isn't particularly intdresting. Nothing to do with the wish potentially meddling with all near death experiences Goku had a part in.

Goku being an outcast and an afterthought was interesting and thematically appropriate. He survived the explosion of the planet because he was a reject, not because he was so special to someone that he had to survive. Now he has a good father which doesn't really do much for his character or the story as a whole. You're telling me the main character survived adversity because he had a good upbringing? How thoroughly uninteresting.

Geraldo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Geraldo » Thu May 19, 2022 10:41 am

Hellspawn28 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:03 pm Toriyama's writing keeps on getting worse IMO.
I agree; it's clear that Elec will wish to be the true villain of this arc by some other wordings than just sheer power that would cost him his lifespan.
Granolah would be back on his feet at the end of chapter 85.
Elec will toss Gas to his fate once he's overpowered by the Saiyans and Granolah in July (boring).

Granolah will eliminate the Heeters after Elec will be defeated by Gogeta in August.

Most likely, OG-73i and Oatmeel would be revealed to have originated in the same technological mayhem civilization by the same technological genius
(a revamped Dr. Myuu?) and a new arc will be starting off.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu May 19, 2022 2:11 pm

I honestly like Moro way more than the Heaters. Moro may not be the most original villain ever, but at least he has something going for him. The Heaters feel so bland in my opinion. They almost feel like the type of villains that you would see in the old DBZ movies.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Thu May 19, 2022 2:44 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 2:11 pm I honestly like Moro way more than the Heaters. Moro may not be the most original villain ever, but at least he has something going for him. The Heaters feel so bland in my opinion. They almost feel like the type of villains that you would see in the old DBZ movies.
Moro had a unique look (even the Cell-face) and a presence to him, plus a visually cool set of moves and an interesting gimmick (or gimmicks, as he would later acquire). I don't mind the Heeters and what they do bring/add to the world, but they (besides Elec, who runs the show) aren't esp movers and shakers for me in terms of characters, fighters (besides Gas's tools) and designs (they're not too bad looking, but not striking).
Geraldo wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:41 am
I agree; it's clear that Elec will wish to be the true villain of this arc by some other wordings than just sheer power that would cost him his lifespan.
Granolah would be back on his feet at the end of chapter 85.
Elec will toss Gas to his fate once he's overpowered by the Saiyans and Granolah in July (boring).

Granolah will eliminate the Heeters after Elec will be defeated by Gogeta in August.

Most likely, OG-73i and Oatmeel would be revealed to have originated in the same technological mayhem civilization by the same technological genius
(a revamped Dr. Myuu?) and a new arc will be starting off.
I do have a sort of ominous feeling that Gogeta will be making his first (non-intersitial/extra chapter) DBS manga appearance in this arc whilst being able to shift between UI/UE at will. Hopefully it's just an omen. Still not too sure what exactly Elec has done, but I do expect him to stay a non-action guy (though I think he did fly last chapter/train Gas up himself). Am just waiting for Mr. Granolah the Survivor of the Granolah the Survivor Arc to wake up now.