"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by omaro34 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:14 am

Kinokima wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:05 am
omaro34 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:57 pm Goku can ask one of his sons to power up so he can just teleport to Earth whenever he wants, yet he was away for months training?

What else is new but showcasing how shitty of a father and husband Goku is lmao.

So was Vegeta! Why purposely point out Goku was away?
I mentioned Goku in response to what Chi Chi said. I recall Vegeta being around when Bulma was about to give birth to their daughter. Vegeta isn't much better but Goku has had more examples of it in the past.

They obviously care about their families but when you can teleport anytime and visit for an evening or whatever and you instead stay away for months, it's just wack.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Nistarkail
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nistarkail » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:22 am

At this point of the plot I wonder if Elec shall take part of some fights or no. He claims to use planning strategy over the brute strength, and he was the only one that did not show his power, yet.

I have the impression that this guy is planning to merge himself or his little brother with OG-73 in order to achieve a set of useful powers that grant strength and abilities in order to contrast an incoming menace (like Frieza, considering he was in business with him, somehow).

Regarding the fight between trained Saiyans and Granolah, will 150 years of condensed power be enough to beat them? I think that the quarrels will be concluded after the three naive warriors notice that everything was part of Elec's plan. But oh god, somebody gives a brain to all of them because they are too naive :v

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:57 am

jd55513 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:10 pm The chapter is great. My theory about the Heaters and 73 may come into fruition, although gas may be another wild card.

About the 10 questions.
I think I know most of them!

1. Are their more Dragon Balls?
2. Is their a device that can find them?
3. Tell us about Goku and Vegeta
4. Where is Frieza?
5. Can we become the strongest in the Universe?
6. How can we stop Granolah if the Saiyans fail?
7. Can you tell us about 0G-73 ?
8. Stuff about the food

I can't think of the other ones
Whatcha think?
Their goal is control the universe, so i think something about planets,power and strategies (and kill frieza, of course).
Maybe they need an army, so ... how to clone/create more 73s? Where to find more allies? How to power up Gas? Informations about God of destructions/angels/universes? How to stop them? Namekians lore, sayans ecc.
They still have 73, so they can know more.

Imagine if the Heeters resurrect old sayans with the dragon balls, and use them against Goku and Vegeta (of course with new powers).
A lot of possibilities.

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:05 am

Gt91 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:57 am Imagine if the Heeters resurrect old sayans with the dragon balls, and use them against Goku and Vegeta (of course with new powers).
A lot of possibilities.
Please no more Saiyans...
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:02 am

Cool chapter i particularly enjoyed those panels with no dialogue specifically where Vegeta blew up the last log plus the river. Then Beerus gets mad & bonks him on the head lol.

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:24 am

Oh boy as if Chi Chi wasn't hated enough. I can already see the "this is all ChiChi's fault, fuck that money hungry bitch!" comments whenever something bad will happen.

Good chapter tho. Macki is slowly but surely starting to become my favorite character in this arc.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:48 am

DestructoDisc wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:24 am Oh boy as if Chi Chi wasn't hated enough. I can already see the "this is all ChiChi's fault, fuck that money hungry bitch!" comments whenever something bad will happen.

Good chapter tho. Macki is slowly but surely starting to become my favorite character in this arc.
There are always fans who don’t read. But ChiChi was just used to call them. Goku and Vegeta would have wanted to fight regardless of ChiChi

No one really came off thinking things through here.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:04 am

Kinokima wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:48 am
DestructoDisc wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:24 am Oh boy as if Chi Chi wasn't hated enough. I can already see the "this is all ChiChi's fault, fuck that money hungry bitch!" comments whenever something bad will happen.

There are always fans who don’t read. But ChiChi was just used to call them. Goku and Vegeta would have wanted to fight regardless of ChiChi

Yeah, in fact Vegeta was clearly suspicious but shrugged it off cause he was interested about this supposedly most powerful warrior. They would have went to Cereal even if they were just told about Granolah being the strongest, but the Heeters wanted a death battle and to create confusion between the Saiyans and Granolah, hoping that this way they end up killing him. And once they see the devastated Cereal they will have reasons to believe that Granolah is actually really wreaking havoc while Granolah will probably attack them as soon as he sees them.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:30 am

emperior wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:04 am

Yeah, in fact Vegeta was clearly suspicious but shrugged it off cause he was interested about this supposedly most powerful warrior. They would have went to Cereal even if they were just told about Granolah being the strongest, but the Heeters wanted a death battle and to create confusion between the Saiyans and Granolah, hoping that this way they end up killing him. And once they see the devastated Cereal they will have reasons to believe that Granolah is actually really wreaking havoc while Granolah will probably attack them as soon as he sees them.
I didn’t even think of that. The Heeters will probably show Goku & Vegeta the ruined part of the planet and they will naturally think Granolah is responsible

Also since Bardock destroyed Planet Cereal will Granolah “recognize” Goku and have his hatred flair up even more? We don’t know if Granolah saw the human Bardock but the possibility is very much there. Unless Bardock’s team was really just there as an Easter egg.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:47 am

Kinokima wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:30 am
emperior wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:04 am

I didn’t even think of that. The Heeters will probably show Goku & Vegeta the ruined part of the planet and they will naturally think Granolah is responsible

Also since Bardock destroyed Planet Cereal will Granolah “recognize” Goku and have his hatred flair up even more? We don’t know if Granolah saw the human Bardock but the possibility is very much there. Unless Bardock’s team was really just there as an Easter egg.
Some users pointed out it cannot have been an Easter egg, and that Bardock’s cameo is most likely a chekov gun. A trailer too highlighted the scar so it’s very likely that next month Granolah will mistake Goku for Bardock. I assume he must have seen his humanoid form, somehow, or else I can’t think of a single way Bardock can be brought up in the story.

We also still don’t even know how Granolah was able to survive.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

GalaxyBusterBuu
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GalaxyBusterBuu » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:48 am

Goku is gonna do a giant 'WTH' when Granolah ends up attacking him because he looks like Bardock. Though, I wonder what the Heeters will do when Granolah realizes he's been played, he may have a short life-span, but three years is still long enough for him to be an issue in their current state. They better use that data on 7-3 to create some type of army of Androids and make themselves strong if they don't want three strong guys zooming over to them with murderous intent for bamboozling them.

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:06 am

How ironic is that Gas is likely going to be the strongest member of the Heeters, when he has by far the laziest design of them all. Literally Kid Buu but with hair. Even the fat guy that has little to no personality has a more unique design.

Macki and Elec both look far better and are far more interesting.

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Thani » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:21 am

DestructoDisc wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:06 am How ironic is that Gas is likely going to be the strongest member of the Heeters, when he has by far the laziest design of them all. Literally Kid Buu but with hair. Even the fat guy that has little to no personality has a more unique design.

Macki and Elec both look far better and are far more interesting.
Speaking of interesting, I find it so that Elec actually is reminding me of Hearts from Heroes. Hell, I'm practically hearing Koyasu whenever Elec speaks. I love it :lol:

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:13 am

Kinokima wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:42 pmAgain all your examples continue to be from DBZ NOT Super where Vegeta surpasses Goku for the briefest of moments let’s the power rise to his head just to immediately gets beat up. If Vegeta HAD won those fights, defeated Goku well his development would be non-existent.
And I'm saying you're wrong because this Vegeta is even less obsessed with surpassing Goku than his previous self. This Vegeta isn't the race realist, classist fuck he used to be. The rivalry is friendly. If he surpasses Goku now, he's even more likely to probably just go off golfing with Trunks. The Vegeta of the original story has a single-minded drive to prove his saiyan eugenics belief system correct by being stronger than Goku, and when he does become stronger than Goku, all he does is bask in his strength. This Vegeta's rivalry with Goku is friendly. This is the character growth he's achieved.

You invented some crazy Vegeta in your head, dawg.
Krillin1994 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:48 pm I think saying that using Vegeta attitude and character from his villainous days as your argument isn’t the most effective.
Vegeta is the most complex character Toriyama has ever written. To not look at him holistically because that would mess up your argument is to do disservice to the character.
Obviously people’s big draw to Vegeta is his desire to surpass Goku, but super has seen the most time Goku and Vegeta spent together. Is it that unreasonable to suggest that some of Goku’s attitude towards improvement can rub off on him.
Characters are not people. Characters are literary devices. Until the day comes where Vegeta says training and bettering himself is what matters, then his motivation will always be to be the strongest. A guy literally linked you all the times in Super where Vegeta scoffs at new challenges.
Vegeta primarily fights to show that he is stronger than x, hence his ire about Granolah. But really that is a lot of bravado. We’ve seen his mentality at tournament of power. We see what he thinks about when on the ropes in the tournament of power. His thoughts being on Bulma, his promise to cabba and protecting the U6 Saiyans. Those are just as big a reason why he feels he needs to be strong now too.
Yes, unlike Goku, Vegeta tends to be more cognizant of how his actions impact those around him. But to say he fights or trains to protect people is being generous. Vegeta doesn't go around vanquishing evil out of some sense of altruism. He, like any reasonable person, defends what he cares about when put in that position. If he was some righteous protector, why isn't he actively out there fighting crime? Why isn't he spending his time making sure the Namekians and such are safe? He's not a bad guy, but the main impetus for getting strength is his drive to be the strongest.
Do you honestly think that this current Vegeta would stop training if he become stronger than Goku?
No. Because Beerus and Whis are around, and are explicitly stronger than him and Goku.
Vegeta before super never had a martial artists mentality, and whilst he doesn’t fully. Having formal mentors in Whis and Beerus is changing him.
No. Vegeta actively threw away whatever lessons Whis tried imparting on him in the tournament of power because he doesn't believe in the kind of martial arts training Goku does. Goku has no problem being taught by people who are weaker than him, or who make him do silly/stupid things. For Vegeta, it's a matter of pride.

Even when he swallowed that pride and went to Yardrat, he never fully embraced their training, unlike Goku.

From a personal perspective, I get annoyed when I see people trying to ascribe these things to Vegeta because they make him less interesting. He's cool because he has a flawed world view. Vegeta just wants to be the best in the room, and that's perfectly okay. That kind of mindset allows him to be a better husband and father than Goku.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:32 am

Another chapter, another of this being the best arc in Super so far. Fun threads all around, and Chi-Chi’s role was pretty amusing. The fight—presuming next issue kicks it off—is going to be really exciting for the amount of build-up it’s gotten.

Like others, if I had to make a prediction, it would be on Gas becoming the main (fighting) villain of the arc.
Last edited by Cipher on Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:32 am

Trouser wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:05 am
Gt91 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:57 am Imagine if the Heeters resurrect old sayans with the dragon balls, and use them against Goku and Vegeta (of course with new powers).
A lot of possibilities.
Please no more Saiyans...
Cumber would be good for me :thumbup:

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:34 am

Those links were all to being faced to external challenges. I said he didn’t revel in fighting for fighting sake. He obviously differs from Goku in that regard, I’m not trying to say he’s the same as Goku just that he’s being exposed to actual martial arts philosophy under teachers (Whis, spirit control, Beerus with destruction) and training alongside goku who has been raised on martial arts philosophy. People can change even if it’s not a total immediate process

Also are you saying you need a character to literally state that they’ve changed their goals and motivations to accept a change in a character?

- Also this manga Vegeta who threw away Whis’ teachings still then fought side by side with Goku and they used the results of Whis’ teachings to fight Jiren in a very synchronised manner. Just because he gave his proud Saiyan bravado. He then went and trained on yardrat in the next arc. Sure he complained about the need for tricky techniques instead of strength, but he didn’t complain about requiring tutelage to get stronger. Then when he was there he was respectful to them and actually was a far better student there than Goku was, despite Goku spending a year there. That’s because Vegeta has adopted a more spiritual martial artists mentality. Z Vegeta would’ve got nothing from yardrat.

He very much embraced their training and culture - going so far as to respect them to not use IT themselves breaking their own ways to take him to Moro. Then we had Vegeta learn IT on the spot after just a couple of attempts. But please show me where he didn’t take it seriously. You can argue maybe he didn’t believe it’s effectiveness until Moro’s goon came then he saw how much he’d improved. But I think if he didn’t take it seriously his spirit control wouldn’t have improved.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:16 pm

Gas doesn’t really have a “main villain-ish” design, though. But I think that maybe this arc, unlike others, won’t be focused on a single main villain but rather it will keep on being about factions and their different ways to attain power for their different goals. So we will have Freeza, the Heeters, Granolah and Goku/Vegeta.

Freeza has been mentioned every chapter so he’s bound to appear in this arc, and maybe he will also throw Broly into the mix. Or maybe Goku will actually go to Vampa (maybe alongside Vegeta?) to train with Broly in order to get stronger, assuming he ends up losing against Granolah in their first fight.

Also, Elec keeps on being the best character introduced in this arc. He’s so damn good and charismatic. If I had to choose the real main villain of the arc, that would be him. And his design is quite great, too, but he doesn’t really look like a fighter (and in fact we may never see him fight).

Toyotaro has really been on a roll. I have absolutely zero complains about the story thus far. Maybe it’s because Toriyama is more involved with this story? Either way, I agree that so far it’s definitely the best story out of Super’s manga.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:38 pm

Freeza should show his face if people start fighting for control over his territory, specially when the rebels are weaklings part of his payroll and empire. How long can he reallistically be kept in the dark? there's no soul-eating Moro to scare him away, I don't believe he's going to be the Godot of the arc.

I'd like Freeza to meet Zuno, it could be a funny situation, with Zuno mistaking Freeza for a girl. I'm assuming he has no clue of who Zuno is.

I guess the sides will eventually be: Goku, Vegeta and Granolah vs Freeza and the Heaters (cool name for a music band), with the Heaters cunningly trying to overthrow Freeza.

I don't think we'll get much action next month, up until the end of the chapter at least.

GalaxyBusterBuu
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GalaxyBusterBuu » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:10 pm

Freeza is gonna get involved, I won't be surprised when the Heeters try to manipulate everyone including him to get his territory and overthrow him from behind the scenes while pretending to be his ally. Though I imagine once everyone realizes they've been bamboozled, their eyes are gonna set course for the Heeters when they figure out they've been played. Goku, Vegeta, and Granolah are gonna be fucking pissed when they realize they've been tricked. Something is gonna go wrong and the Heeters are gonna inevitably get called out for their actions once their actions come to light.