"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheMikado
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by TheMikado » Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:02 pm

FlpShimizu wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:06 am Granolah is a toddler already when the Saiyan invasion begins. Why people are considering a meme to be a possible outcome is beyond me.

Because anything is possible at this point

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:53 pm

I just wanna say this: it is entirely possible that Bardock arrived at Cereal a few years before the invasion (likely for diplomatic mission) and got a bit frisky with the ladies in his spare time.

Then again, one has to wonder, if Granolah is half saiyan, how has he not turned SSJ yet? That is probably one of the bigger holes in this conjecture...

right now i am gonna take a break from this thread for real because i really don't want to read the spoilers
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:55 pm

It seems that more fans are catching on to this idea that there's no point in overreacting to out-of-context, incomplete panels with poor translations month after month. A lot of us here have been championing that since the early days of the DBS manga, but with more eyes on the manga these days, you love to see it.

Marz
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Marz » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:28 am

batistabus wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:55 pm It seems that more fans are catching on to this idea that there's no point in overreacting to out-of-context, incomplete panels with poor translations month after month. A lot of us here have been championing that since the early days of the DBS manga, but with more eyes on the manga these days, you love to see it.
I like this optimism, but last month in other social media the knee jerk / over the top reactions was just the same as always. I don't think it will ever stop, it's the same song and dance since the Moro saga when this manga became the only on going DBS product

And it's inevitable that this somehow shapes people's views on the chapter even after full context, so the damage is already done for the most part

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:16 pm

Marz wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:28 am
batistabus wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:55 pm It seems that more fans are catching on to this idea that there's no point in overreacting to out-of-context, incomplete panels with poor translations month after month. A lot of us here have been championing that since the early days of the DBS manga, but with more eyes on the manga these days, you love to see it.
I like this optimism, but last month in other social media the knee jerk / over the top reactions was just the same as always. I don't think it will ever stop, it's the same song and dance since the Moro saga when this manga became the only on going DBS product

And it's inevitable that this somehow shapes people's views on the chapter even after full context, so the damage is already done for the most part
Well, yes. It will continue to happen. And the bolded part is especially unfortunate. But this is the first time I've seen a noticeable increase in this type of sentiment on social media, and that counts for something. And even when the bolded part is true, sometimes the damage can be undone on a full reread of the arc, which was the experience for plenty of fans for the Moro arc.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:12 pm

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:13 pm

And now I want the chapter out more than ever, this was nothing! Gimme more, c'mon!

Love the title of the chapter, by the way! :D
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:31 pm

A lot of people out there may say Toyotaro sucks and he traced from Captain America or Dokkan Battle or something. And maybe the manga isn't as exciting now that a new movie is on the horizon.

Me? I am just trying to have a good time. And now that Cranbo is back I am really feeling it. This is simply CLASSIC Cranbo.

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:02 pm

Chapter tittle: Burdack, Father of Gokuu

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:22 pm

-About chapter 77 drafts-

Something I always liked about Toyotaro is that unlike Toriyama he doesn't forget that characters exist and he's well aware of the anime-only stuff. In the drafts we see the Freeza's soldiers that killed Bardock's partners in the TV Special and wouldn't be surprised if Bardock's partners show up too. If it was Toriyama?! Not a chance he would bother with that. He couldn't even keep the iconic Bardock design...
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:31 pm

Well, we do see Bardock's crew in Movie 1 (though I doubt it was Toriyama's decision to include them there). But yeah, it's a nice touch that both Toei and Toyotaro add these characters as an easter egg/cameo.

Also, if it was up to Toriyama, I doubt Bardock would even be involved in this at all...

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Yasai9001
Beyond Newbie

Post by Yasai9001 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:33 am

I’m guessing Bardock, being one of those Saiyans with a conscience, saves sentient human looking people who are also innocent and more than unlikely undeserving of death. This is under the assumption that he doesn’t have a past with the Cerealians of any kind.

I say this because in Dragon Ball Minus, Bardock seems perfectly fine with fighting those giant monster things (whatever they are) yet for some reason he’s saving others he’s supposed to be attacking.

Maybe he develops some empathy amongst others due to influence of Gine and seeing through the eyes of his victims. I’m not sure. Just really spitballing.

I’m excited to see what’s the real case, though; they’re trying to add layers to Bardock and I’m cool with that, honestly. I’m trying to figure out if there will be a bigger pay off with this added story to him because I would much prefer it to not be seen as a waste of time by majority of fans. I want this to be something most of us can enjoy (can’t please everyone).

We’ll see, tho.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:38 am

Miracles wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:11 pm
OLKv3 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:23 am
Miracles wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:40 pm Unlike Granolah, Moro is pure evil. So he wouldn't and shouldn't have inner clashing with the protag's.

Granolah feels his cause is righteous enough to sacrifice his life for. Which strikes at Vegeta's personal struggle of letting go of his past sins.
Granolah is a better written Zamasu than Zamasu himself
Why hello OLK.Gald you still post here too. :twisted:
Gotta keep it in small doses

I'm assuming Bardock saving them is related to the Dragon Balls, and Monaito will convince him that sparing him and Granolah will protect the DBs. Bardock spares them, hides that he spared them, and plans to come back and use the DBs against Freeza

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:57 am

Grimlock wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:31 pm Well, we do see Bardock's crew in Movie 1 (though I doubt it was Toriyama's decision to include them there). But yeah, it's a nice touch that both Toei and Toyotaro add these characters as an easter egg/cameo.

Also, if it was up to Toriyama, I doubt Bardock would even be involved in this at all...
How is this not up to Toriyama?

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:25 am

Bardock being Granolah's father would be sooooo bad and so good at the same time. This is Dragon Ball Super, home of asspulls and stupid story beats. Be crazy, Trolliyama and Trollotaro! Let's see the whole franchise burn... :twisted:

But seriously, I hope this chapter is going to be good, without Goku and Vegeta, with setting 100% in the past. This new Bardock is lame compared to the old one (I still like him, despite being heavily downgraded by Toriyama), but I'm always happy when someone other than Goku or Vegeta is in the spotlight.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:59 am

You guys are racist, maybe it's just the same race but not the same character :lol:, and of course Toyo reference the anime, he's an anime only fan(jk).

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:35 am

FortuneSSJ wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:22 pm -About chapter 77 drafts-

Something I always liked about Toyotaro is that unlike Toriyama he doesn't forget that characters exist and he's well aware of the anime-only stuff. In the drafts we see the Freeza's soldiers that killed Bardock's partners in the TV Special and wouldn't be surprised if Bardock's partners show up too. If it was Toriyama?! Not a chance he would bother with that. He couldn't even keep the iconic Bardock design...
Why would Toriyama bother with Bardock's team that was designed and developed for the TV special? And how is giving Bardock a new armor a sign of not bothering with something? If anything, it's the other way around. He bothered himself enough to give him a newly designed armor.

And by the looks of it, Toyotaro kept the new armor design.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:42 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:22 pm -About chapter 77 drafts-

Why should Toriyama bother with characters he hasn't created inside his own (manga) story?
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:15 pm

TheMikado wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:57 amHow is this not up to Toriyama?
Because if Toriyama wanted to use Bardock, he would have done already. Instead, even though he liked the TV Special, all he did was dedicate two mere panels for him and that's it. Ever since that, Bardock's appearances is all thanks to other entities (possibly even in Dragon Ball Online). There is that Dragon Ball Minus crap, but eh... Given the circumstances, I'm still surprised that he even remembered to use the character.

Anyway, pretty sure Bardock's involvement here is thanks to Toyotaro. But I'll be once again surprised if an interview pops up saying otherwise.

~ War of the Dinobots ~

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:01 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:35 am Why would Toriyama bother with Bardock's team that was designed and developed for the TV special? And how is giving Bardock a new armor a sign of not bothering with something? If anything, it's the other way around. He bothered himself enough to give him a newly designed armor.

And by the looks of it, Toyotaro kept the new armor design.
Grimlock wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:15 pm
Because if Toriyama wanted to use Bardock, he would have done already. Instead, even though he liked the TV Special, all he did was dedicate two mere panels for him and that's it. Ever since that, Bardock's appearances is all thanks to other entities (possibly even in Dragon Ball Online). There is that Dragon Ball Minus crap, but eh... Given the circumstances, I'm still surprised that he even remembered to use the character.

Anyway, pretty sure Bardock's involvement here is thanks to Toyotaro. But I'll be once again surprised if an interview pops up saying otherwise.
Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:42 pm Why should Toriyama bother with characters he hasn't created inside his own (manga) story?

I really really really don’t get this purist viewpoint. Toriyama is involved and has final say-so over the product. Nothing goes out without him looking at it.

If Toriyama approves it then, he is 100000000% responsible for it. It’s his to own if he approves it enough to put his stamp of approval and his name on it. If anything it would be more his fault than anyone else’s for not caring enough about the story/franchise to course correct if he felt there was a problem. Him not changing it and having final approval means it’s totally up to him. If he told they to stop right now because he doesn’t like the quality of the product, they would have to.