"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by PurestEvil » Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:49 am

YES YES YES YES YES YES YEEEEEESSSSS

I wanna see some cool action from Goten and Trunks, for real this time!
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:12 am

I... really don't see the point of this considering the endgame for Goten and Trunk in Dragon Ball is them basically giving up on all forms of martial arts, or at the very least, not really showing much interest in martial arts, I can't see myself getting myself invested in anything they're doing knowing it will get negated by the ending of the original manga.

I'm sure that Toyotaro will provide some fun, clean quirky antics for the two of them, but it'll feel like it's written in a vacuum because of how much it doesn't lead to anything significant for them. The timing of this story is even more egregious considering how bland and boring Goten and Trunks appear to be in the DBS SuperHero. So there may be a bit of a disconnect between how Goten and Trunks appear in the manga compared to how they are portrayed in the movie. I can't imagine this arc lasting until more than a handful of chapters, but I'm sure it'll be inconsequential fun.

Honestly, if there was a character who deserved their own prequel story from DBS Superhero, I would have gone with Pan. She was the star character for DBS Superhero and is still enough of a blank slate that you have more freedom with characterizing her and not tonally clashing with her ending in the manga.

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:13 am

I hope Goku and Vegeta are left out for the whole story. They bore me. With Trunks and Goten maybe we'll get something nice for a change, not mediocre like Moro and Granolah arcs.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:38 am

So, having looked more closely at the teaser page, it’s actually advertising itself as “covering the film starting with prequel events.” So … not really clear how much and in what form, but it’ll at least be tackling the movie events somehow without just being a full arc set before it.

That’s a lot more palatable to me, assuming it’ll basically be a greatly expanded version. I don’t mind that. It’s nice to have the whole story in one medium, and it’s also a harder movie to just skip over than Broly, given it introduces several changes to the main cast.

That said, it’s still pretty vague, so it could wind up being like 95 percent an isolated Trunks-Goten story with a little overlap of the film at the end. We’ll see!

If it winds up being an expanded film adaptation, and lasts around six months or so … it’s possible they’re also trying to pace the manga to align with some multimedia project again? Just spit-balling, especially coming off of three months of time off for planning.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:49 am

Eh. Unless it just barely overlaps at the very end, that's less exciting for me. We already saw Super Hero and it doesn't need any edits. But I'm guessing there won't be too much overlap? Also, it seems like it'll probably be a relatively short story, which I'm good with.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:58 am

batistabus wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:49 am Eh. Unless it just barely overlaps at the very end, that's less exciting for me. We already saw Super Hero and it doesn't need any edits. But I'm guessing there won't be too much overlap? Also, it seems like it'll probably be a relatively short story, which I'm good with.
I’d really rather just have a short SH adaptation with a few new elements than something that essentially has to be a filler story with Goten and Trunks, to be honest. Since … we know what they wind up doing, which is nothing. They’re also basically non-entities in Super. Going to feel a little jarring/artificial to suddenly focus on them, only to … no longer be able to focus on them again.

Is my take in advance.

Dragmobot12
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragmobot12 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:46 am

Maybe I'm on too much copium right now, and this is just Toyo troll arc for a Blu Ray release.

But that thingy on the arm of the Future Trunks led me to believe that this is actually an arc about time travel, and we might run into the Time Patrol, and Goten and Trunks are part of the Time Patrol, and this is their uniform.
Then later on this could play an important role in the next arc in which the Time Breakers might be introduced? I don't know, what do you guys think?

EGonzo
Beyond Newbie

Post by EGonzo » Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:20 am

Dragmobot12 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:46 am Maybe I'm on too much copium right now, and this is just Toyo troll arc for a Blu Ray release.

But that thingy on the arm of the Future Trunks led me to believe that this is actually an arc about time travel, and we might run into the Time Patrol, and Goten and Trunks are part of the Time Patrol, and this is their uniform.
Then later on this could play an important role in the next arc in which the Time Breakers might be introduced? I don't know, what do you guys think?

I think that just be a transformation watch like Gohan had for his costume

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:51 am

I'm excited, mostly because of all the talk about the never ending hiatus and the anime doing its own thing, I guess. Also, these dudes all grown up is something I've waiting for since 2017.

But what's the deal with cramming every single story into the same time period?? it's also odd knowing these guys will give 0 fucks about martial arts by the time EoZ happens, which happens soon enough, kind of a moot point I think.

Hopefully, it'll be a short story and not a 44 chapter arc with 37 filler chapters as usual. The downer is that it should be heavily relying on humor, and Toyo's kinda sucks, but maybe he'll find his footing with these two.

It's strange though, a 3-month hiatus just for a filler arc with no consequences at all about two side characters who were sidelined for 7 years. Let's hope after this there's an actual arc waiting for us, I pray to Dende it'll be post EoZ.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:57 am

I wish it was after Super Hero, not before. At least, Goten and Trunks have their own time to shine is good.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:23 pm

Hmmm... the talk about retelling Super Hero lessens the fun a little bit, but I guess it was necessary in order to make it fit the manga's continuity. It also leads credence to the fact that if the anime comes back it's probably going to do the same in order to bring it in line with its own continuity. Still, pretty nice! Hopefully they expand on the new transformations a little. The thing that needs the most fleshing out though should be the Beerus planet stuff. That felt very shoehorned in and I think it needs some fixing.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:31 pm

So this will lead up and include Super Hero?

If so I guess that's fine and far more interesting than a straight retelling. Hopefully it doesn't drag specially since it's "done" material.
Goten and Trunks being fleshed out with some comedy sprinkled might be good. In their current state I have no interest in the kids.

It's weird that only now are they connecting the movies with the manga; after the manga grew in pages and importance. Could this signify a change in direction?

Anyway my expectations are exactly zero, whatever comes can't disappoint me the bar as already been lowered.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:35 pm

My guess: the POV starts with Trunks and Goten, then there's the Magenta POV, the Gohan & Piccolo POV. If we're lucky any POV centered on Gokuu and Vegeta will have actual meaning this time, instead of whatever the fuck was in the movie.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:02 pm

The only real concern I have is that I don’t recall really chuckling at a single panel of the manga since I started reading it consistently which goes way back to the Zamasu arc. So if this is supposed to be a more comedy related storyline I’m not too sure Toyotaro can translate Toriyama’s humor all that well.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Bardock God of Time
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:04 pm

Great Saiyaman 3 :D

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:44 pm

I'm so happy for this news! After a whole movie about Gohan and Piccolo, we finally get something about Goten and Trunks! :D

I hope it's not a retelling but a new fresh arc.
After this one, they can go beyond the EOZ and create a true new story (heroes that actually die, new critical moments, tensions ecc...)!

nineko
Beyond Newbie

Post by nineko » Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:57 pm

If Super Hero is going to be part of the manga continuity, I'm now wondering if Beast Gohan is the one prophetised by the Oracle Fish.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:16 pm

Does anyone know if these specials are getting translated somewhere?

https://mobile.twitter.com/DbsHype1/sta ... 2148898817

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:51 pm

Well, I would like something new, in a different setting, with different characters. So hopefully this doesn't turn out to be a retelling of the movie. It does not need to be retold. Start from prior events, then skip the movie and then goes straight into new stuff (unless I do get a proper teen Gotenks. If Toyotaro fixes that mistake, then I think it'll be worth! That and other different stuff we didn't see in the movie. An explanation to these new transformations would be nice... I guess), while keeping Goten and Trunks in the lead, of course.

We are also at a very convenient time for Neko Majin and Kuriza to appear, let them be part of the current "story". Instead of revealing Freeza was "somewhere training" and that made him gain power that a decent writing wouldn't allow it, let his next appearance reveal he bore a son in the meantime, we will all benefit more from that. Hopefully they don't waste this golden window of opportunity...
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:37 pm

It is good that Goten and Trunks are going to be in the spot light. How they were treated in the Moro Chapter was terrible. As for the ToP I know it was Toriyama decision, however keep it a secret and not giving them a chance to join was bad.