"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TKA
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by TKA » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:29 am

What a pretentious, uninformative, useless wankfest.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:36 am

BrolyKale wrote:
Simere wrote:
BrolyKale wrote:Some of you guys are really underestimating the galactic patrollers... Merusu is the number 1 elite patrolman who is in charge of 104 districts and it's totally understandable that he can, at least, knock out Goku and Vegeta with a "tranquillizer gun".
Oh, wow, 104 districts? I didn't know it was that many. I thought it was just like 9 districts. And number one of the elite? Wow!
Yes, he is the number 1 elite, while Jako is only in charge of 3 districts :lol: https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/1064152482094317568
I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic

Son-Kakaroto
Temporarily Banned

Post by Son-Kakaroto » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:39 am

fexus wrote:Oh wow, I thought the new arc would start of with a bang. Not a whimper. Really? Does Toyotaro really have to start of with something like this. Having the two characters that just fought Broly to get speed blitz and knocked out with a gun. Does the fight need to even happen actually? I'm pretty sure the Galactic King knows who Goku and Vegeta is. I'm really sure they can have Jaco do the talking and this fight wouldn't even happen. I'm absolutely sure that they must have known Goku, Vegeta and a couple more ridiculously strong fighters that are also understanding are on Earth. There is absolutely no reason for the situation to happen. Oh, I'm also sure we just went through an arc about letting your guard down. Why is this happening again actually? Also, why are you guys vehemently defending this like your life are at stake? You know you can criticize Toyotaro right?
It's not really a big deal. Plus, base goku and vegeta aren't that strong. Just wait for the translations. smh. And modern dragon, power scaling is less of an emphasis more, either get with the program or stop watching.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:40 am

PFM18 wrote:
BrolyKale wrote:
Simere wrote: Oh, wow, 104 districts? I didn't know it was that many. I thought it was just like 9 districts. And number one of the elite? Wow!
Yes, he is the number 1 elite, while Jako is only in charge of 3 districts :lol: https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/1064152482094317568
Who, Jaco? no he was being serious, Goku asked him and he replied : "...3 districts"
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

Aizamasu

Post by Aizamasu » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:45 am

TheMikado wrote:
BrolyKale wrote:Some of you guys are really underestimating the galactic patrollers... Merusu is the number 1 elite patrolman who is in charge of 104 districts and it's totally understandable that he can, at least, knock out Goku and Vegeta with a "tranquillizer gun".
No we aren't. We were left to believe Frieza was basically left unchecked in the entire universe. If Frieza was such a universal threat and they had these bad-ass Galatic Patrollers running around the entire time, why was Frieza or his low-level henchmen a threat in the first place? Especially in a Universe where there are only 28 planets with intelligent life to begin with...
We don't know if the Galactic patrol had anyone that strong back when Frieza was ruling the universe. A lot of people could have gotten a lot stronger since then like Goku and Vegeta etc. We also don't know if tranquilizer guns that strong were invented back then. They could have been invented just recently.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:50 am

BrolyKale wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
BrolyKale wrote:Yes, he is the number 1 elite, while Jako is only in charge of 3 districts :lol: https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/1064152482094317568
Who, Jaco? no he was being serious, Goku asked him and he replied : "...3 districts"
:crazy:

No, the user you replied to was being sarcastic I believe. Not actually talking about Jaco that wouldn't make any sense

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:53 am

PFM18 wrote:
BrolyKale wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
:crazy:

No, the user you replied to was being sarcastic I believe. Not actually talking about Jaco that wouldn't make any sense
Oh... that explains it. Sorry for the misunderstanding, I feel so ashamed of myself now... :|
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:20 am

TKA wrote:
What a pretentious, uninformative, useless wankfest.
Ehh, it seems to me most people have a problem with him because his execution is too unnecessary harsh. But he definitely makes legitimate points and that can’t be denied. But the way he bashed Toyo at the end was a uncalled for.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

fexus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by fexus » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:26 am

Son-Kakaroto wrote:
fexus wrote:Oh wow, I thought the new arc would start of with a bang. Not a whimper. Really? Does Toyotaro really have to start of with something like this. Having the two characters that just fought Broly to get speed blitz and knocked out with a gun. Does the fight need to even happen actually? I'm pretty sure the Galactic King knows who Goku and Vegeta is. I'm really sure they can have Jaco do the talking and this fight wouldn't even happen. I'm absolutely sure that they must have known Goku, Vegeta and a couple more ridiculously strong fighters that are also understanding are on Earth. There is absolutely no reason for the situation to happen. Oh, I'm also sure we just went through an arc about letting your guard down. Why is this happening again actually? Also, why are you guys vehemently defending this like your life are at stake? You know you can criticize Toyotaro right?
It's not really a big deal. Plus, base goku and vegeta aren't that strong. Just wait for the translations. smh. And modern dragon, power scaling is less of an emphasis more, either get with the program or stop watching.
It is a big deal. There are literally many more situation that can have Goku and Vegeta going along with the Galactic Patrol without the fight happening. You literally don't have to piss of the fans. This type of writing really have Toyotaro's name written all over it with no insight from Toriyama nor any kind of advise from editors if he have any. Sure, power scaling is less of an emphasis but this is ridiculous. It's really hard to have any suspension of disbelief when this far of a power difference is on display. And lets not forget, as I said we just had past the "letting your guard down" plot point. Is Toyotaro revisiting that? The biggest problem here are the fans vehemently defending the manga. Wanting no criticism at all to be given to the manga. I mean calm down. You must admit that Toyo CAN do a lot better.
I ask thou, WHY MUST IT BE ME?
Your weakness is your strength.
Are you reading this? If you are, I just want to let you know that I'm a GREAT GUY. :lol:

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:28 am

Son-Kakaroto wrote:
Agreed, I will certainly partake in the latter and encourage new fans to view the classic rather than modern take on the show.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:29 am

fexus wrote:
Son-Kakaroto wrote:
It is a big deal. There are literally many more situation that can have Goku and Vegeta going along with the Galactic Patrol without the fight happening. You literally don't have to piss of the fans. This type of writing really have Toyotaro's name written all over it with no insight from Toriyama nor any kind of advise from editors if he have any. Sure, power scaling is less of an emphasis but this is ridiculous. It's really hard to have any suspension of disbelief when this far of a power difference is on display. And lets not forget, as I said we just had past the "letting your guard down" plot point. Is Toyotaro revisiting that? The biggest problem here are the fans vehemently defending the manga. Wanting no criticism at all to be given to the manga. I mean calm down. You must admit that Toyo CAN do a lot better.
This isn't a manga specific issue. How do you think this is going to play out in the anime? Similar to the Goku/bullet fiasco where both the manga and anime had it so it was assumed to be direct from Toriyama.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:43 am

Aizamasu wrote:
TheMikado wrote:
No we aren't. We were left to believe Frieza was basically left unchecked in the entire universe. If Frieza was such a universal threat and they had these bad-ass Galatic Patrollers running around the entire time, why was Frieza or his low-level henchmen a threat in the first place? Especially in a Universe where there are only 28 planets with intelligent life to begin with...
We don't know if the Galactic patrol had anyone that strong back when Frieza was ruling the universe. A lot of people could have gotten a lot stronger since then like Goku and Vegeta etc. We also don't know if tranquilizer guns that strong were invented back then. They could have been invented just recently.
Yes, after millions of years of existence with countless number of races which have been now dwindled down to 28 planets with intelligent life due to Buu.. They suddenly, in the last 20-25 years have suddenly figured out how to get stronger and take down Frieza and his henchmen long after they had been defeated... the irony. The problem with the current levels of involvement are that someone like Kaioshin, while stronger than Frieza, had far more important things to think about let alone that not being his job but that of a GoD, similar to Zeno. While galactic patrollers seem to have job revolving about police the galaxy. Thus, even is Jaco is inept we would think they would have at least run into Frieza at some point in the universe, especially considering that there's only a 28 planets with intelligent life to begin with.

Basically it begs the question, where have these guys been for the last 50 years while all this crazy stuff is happening across the universe? To yet again use a different example. Goku was revealed to be an alien, as such Toriyama integrated a key trait of Goku, Oozaru as a race defining trait even though he may have never planned it. Toriyama expanded on the lore by giving a reason for this power and then expanded it to the entire Saiyan race. He even adequately explains what everyone else was doing at this time, why Goku landed on Earth, and why no one ever bothered to come looking for him.

This same level of storytelling detail and talent just isn't occurring in modern Db.

fexus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by fexus » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:56 am

TheMikado wrote: This isn't a manga specific issue. How do you think this is going to play out in the anime? Similar to the Goku/bullet fiasco where both the manga and anime had it so it was assumed to be direct from Toriyama.
If the anime ever continues, it's sadly going to use the manga as a base. I just hope they will be able to fix it. The Goku/bullet stuff is there to show how Goku is neglecting his training. Look at that, Toriyama had a reason for doing that while Toyotaro is doing it for shit and giggles. Or he really do think that the only way for them to meet is by having Goku and Vegeta getting knocked out by a Galactic Patroller who shouldn't even be on the same level as them. Totally a good decision there by Toyo.
Are you reading this? If you are, I just want to let you know that I'm a GREAT GUY. :lol:

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:17 pm

On the stun blitz:

-We just met this guy. The arc just started. I know this community has a reputation for jumping to conclusions with the smallest tidbits of information, but relax. There could be an explanation as to why he's so fast.
-Goku/Vegeta were in base form.
-DB is about martial arts AND technology. If people can improve in fighters in short time, people can improve in technology at a similar rate.
-Broly is able to be sedated with a shock collar despite being much stronger than Goku/Vegeta in base.
-Just because there's one fast (not necessarily strong) Galactic Patrolman who is competent at his job, that doesn't mean the Galactic Patrol could defeat Freeza's army. Even if they could kill Freeza, the empire can exist in his absence.

fexus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by fexus » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:28 pm

batistabus wrote:On the stun blitz:

-We just met this guy. The arc just started. I know this community has a reputation for jumping to conclusions with the smallest tidbits of information, but relax. There could be an explanation as to why he's so fast.
-Goku/Vegeta were in base form.
-DB is about martial arts AND technology. If people can improve in fighters in short time, people can improve in technology at a similar rate.
-Broly is able to be sedated with a shock collar despite being much stronger than Goku/Vegeta in base.
-Just because there's one fast (not necessarily strong) Galactic Patrolman who is competent at his job, that doesn't mean the Galactic Patrol could defeat Freeza's army. Even if they could kill Freeza, the empire can exist in his absence.
We actually already got all the relevant information to make a conclusion about this. Whole chapters are already posted online. Translations exists. Synopsis exist. All the relevant information exists. What more do you want? We all know Toyo ain't gonna visit this matter again. Also, the shock collars are to prevent Broly from going full rage. Doesn't mean it will knock him out like Goku and Vegeta gets knocked out by a gun.

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:30 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hw41i-O2ps

Well this video was a good watch. What saddens me a bit is that Toyo can improve if he’s pushed more but there’s no one pushing him.

Toriyama has been approving everything Toyo has done which shows that either Tori cant see these problems or he’s too nice of a guy to really judge Toyo harder. And we know that Toyo has an actual editor but clearly they aren’t pushing him either since the same problems keep popping up in the manga.

So even with these problems, the fact that Toriyama, Toyo’s “hero” is ok with the mistakes Toyo’s manga has and it seems to be the same case with the editor, I fear Toyotaro will never be pushed to improve upon his work. And it would be a shame to have something as big as DB have a manga stay with these flaws.

I’d again suggest he get a more strict editor. Maybe someone who’s had “mangaka experience” but i doubt they’d do it.
enjoyed the video.I think he needs someone that pushes him to do his best, Toriyama is not good for that i think.

I wish this arc had the quality of this last chapter, this chapter was really good in my opinion, the ending of the TOP felt smarter than the anime, the anime had more on "hype" and "feelings", but the manga is better put together.

The new arc looks interesting.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:40 pm

YamiGoku wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hw41i-O2ps

Well this video was a good watch. What saddens me a bit is that Toyo can improve if he’s pushed more but there’s no one pushing him.

Toriyama has been approving everything Toyo has done which shows that either Tori cant see these problems or he’s too nice of a guy to really judge Toyo harder. And we know that Toyo has an actual editor but clearly they aren’t pushing him either since the same problems keep popping up in the manga.

So even with these problems, the fact that Toriyama, Toyo’s “hero” is ok with the mistakes Toyo’s manga has and it seems to be the same case with the editor, I fear Toyotaro will never be pushed to improve upon his work. And it would be a shame to have something as big as DB have a manga stay with these flaws.

I’d again suggest he get a more strict editor. Maybe someone who’s had “mangaka experience” but i doubt they’d do it.
enjoyed the video.I think he needs someone that pushes him to do his best, Toriyama is not good for that i think.

I wish this arc had the quality of this last chapter, this chapter was really good in my opinion, the ending of the TOP felt smarter than the anime, the anime had more on "hype" and "feelings", but the manga is better put together.

The new arc looks interesting.
The thing is, looking back on interviews done between Toyo and Tori, Toriyama does give Toyo suggestions on what he can do better but judging from a lot of his current chapters, he doesn’t seem to be taking these suggestions to heart.

Even when he had the same problems when making the FT arc in the manga, it was still way more enjoyable to read and just look at.

Just using less cluttered panels per page and using more diverse and dynamic angles could help the manga skyrocket in terms of its visual quality.

On the writing side, the T.o.P wasn’t that good but imo, his writing was great for the most part during the FT arc and this last chapter had pretty good writing too.

I’m interested to see how Toyo will shine when starting and maybe even finishing an arc before the anime can do so. I’m a sucker for consistency so i want the manga to stay ahead and for the anime to follow it. But i won’t want the anime to follow the manga if the manga isn’t at a good enough quality
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:53 pm

So in definitive the Galactic Patrolman = Green Lantern Corps ?
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

Aizamasu

Post by Aizamasu » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:06 pm

TheMikado wrote:
Aizamasu wrote:
TheMikado wrote:
Yes, after millions of years of existence with countless number of races which have been now dwindled down to 28 planets with intelligent life due to Buu.. They suddenly, in the last 20-25 years have suddenly figured out how to get stronger and take down Frieza and his henchmen long after they had been defeated... the irony.The problem with the current levels of involvement are that someone like Kaioshin, while stronger than Frieza, had far more important things to think about let alone that not being his job but that of a GoD, similar to Zeno. While galactic patrollers seem to have job revolving about police the galaxy. Thus, even is Jaco is inept we would think they would have at least run into Frieza at some point in the universe, especially considering that there's only a 28 planets with intelligent life to begin with.

This same level of storytelling detail and talent just isn't occurring in modern Db.
I agree that it is kind of stupid but I guess it's just modern Dragon ball that people stronger than Frieza are popping up out of nowhere. For whatever reason there has been a huge "power level inflation" happening for a while now.

But still, even if the Galactic patrol didn't have anyone strong enough to defeat Frieza 25 years ago, doesn't mean they don't have now. 50 years ago it was extraordinary if a saiyan had a power level of 10,000 and somehow Goku and Vegeta have the power of gods now. Frieza reached that level in 4 months. You could also ask how they suddenly became so strong. It wouldn't be that increadible if a Galactic patrolman had trained hard enough to surprise and tranquilize BASE Goku and Vegeta (who hadn't absorbed the power of SSJG in the manga).

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:23 pm

fexus wrote:What more do you want?
Do you judge a movie in the first 5 minutes? Can you tell me a single thing about this new character's background, aside from the fact that he's a competent Galactic Patrolman? This sort of mentality is why this thread gets locked every month, and why respectable content creators like Kanzenshuu don't review the manga on a chapter-by-chapter basis.

I want context. I want to know more about these new characters, their mission, and the Galactic Patrol. Unless you've already convinced yourself to have a problem with this new arc, let's see where it goes.
We all know Toyo ain't gonna visit this matter again.
What I know is that select fans maintain this mentality month-after-month, only to ignore the fact that many questionable things actually get explained in Toyotaro's version.
Last edited by batistabus on Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.