"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

EGonzo
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by EGonzo » Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:04 pm

Dragmobot12 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:23 pm Honestly, if you turn your mind into a real Dragon Ball fan, this can actually be a decent arc.
I'm starting to think that Tao Pai Pai might show up again, love that villain.
That'd be fun, Cyborg Tao is one of my favorite characters thanks in part to the budokai tenkaichi games

fleahop
Beyond Newbie

Post by fleahop » Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:48 pm

Dragmobot12 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:23 pm Honestly, if you turn your mind into a real Dragon Ball fan, this can actually be a decent arc.
I also love some Tao Pai Pai, but the real Dragon Ball fan thing is cringe. We're better than that.

It feels a bit early to get my hopes up or to be let down by any of the current information. Dragon Ball storylines are hard to judge ahead of time, but it is definitely nice seeing an aged-up Goten and Trunks put to paper. My only real hope is that Toyotaro gets some good gags in.
Movie 1/Dead Zone >>> DBS Broly

I'll die on this hill

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:37 pm

fleahop wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:48 pm
I also love some Tao Pai Pai, but the real Dragon Ball fan thing is cringe. We're better than that.

It feels a bit early to get my hopes up or to be let down by any of the current information. Dragon Ball storylines are hard to judge ahead of time, but it is definitely nice seeing an aged-up Goten and Trunks put to paper. My only real hope is that Toyotaro gets some good gags in.
Lets hope Toyotaro does a good job in making the new chapter, although it is impossible to know how good or bad it will be.

I still wonder what Toyotaro was thinking when he wrote the Moro chapter. The way Goten and Trunks got left out of the invasion was bad, especially when they didn't notice any battle during the invasion. There was many power level greater than Freeza and Buu, yet they didn't feel anything. To make it worse no one had God Ki, so it isn't like they couldn't be sensed at all.

Everyone keep the invasion a secret was bad. Bulma asking Mr Satan to battle against the alien invasion instead of using her phone or wrist watch to call Trunks to fight the alien was terrible.

In Toyotaro mind Mr Satan >>>>> Goten and Trunks.

Geraldo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Geraldo » Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:10 pm

Tao Pai Pai got killed by Kid Buu's destruction of the Earth. He never got revived.
super michael wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:37 pm I still wonder what Toyotaro was thinking when he wrote the Moro chapter. The way Goten and Trunks got left out of the invasion was bad, especially when they didn't notice any battle during the invasion. There was many power level greater than Freeza and Buu, yet they didn't feel anything. To make it worse no one had God Ki, so it isn't like they couldn't be sensed at all.

Everyone keep the invasion a secret was bad. Bulma asking Mr Satan to battle against the alien invasion instead of using her phone or wrist watch to call Trunks to fight the alien was terrible.

In Toyotaro mind Mr Satan >>>>> Goten and Trunks.
It wasn't Toyotaro who left them outside of the action. Toriyama had started it back in 2014 when he wrote Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection 'F'. And I'm not a fan of the half-Saiyan brats who were only created to sell more Super Saiyan toys.

YMK_8000
Not-So-Newbie

Post by YMK_8000 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:18 am

LAME LAME LAME

Seriously 2 months of brainstorming and all you could come up with is a retelling? Holy hell Toyotaro and Uchida have to be the most uncreative/unimaginative duo of “mangaka” and “editor” seriously you have all these crazy avenues in DB you can explore and this is what you go with?

YMK_8000
Not-So-Newbie

Post by YMK_8000 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:28 am

Koitsukai wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:51 am I'm excited, mostly because of all the talk about the never ending hiatus and the anime doing its own thing, I guess. Also, these dudes all grown up is something I've waiting for since 2017.

But what's the deal with cramming every single story into the same time period?? it's also odd knowing these guys will give 0 fucks about martial arts by the time EoZ happens, which happens soon enough, kind of a moot point I think.

Hopefully, it'll be a short story and not a 44 chapter arc with 37 filler chapters as usual. The downer is that it should be heavily relying on humor, and Toyo's kinda sucks, but maybe he'll find his footing with these two.

It's strange though, a 3-month hiatus just for a filler arc with no consequences at all about two side characters who were sidelined for 7 years. Let's hope after this there's an actual arc waiting for us, I pray to Dende it'll be post EoZ.
& Toriyamas height jokes, butt jokes, sexual jokes we’ve heard 1000s times verbatim before in the 80s is comedy gold huh? I’m not a fan of Toyos by any mean but let’s be consistent when we dogpile. both T’s are downright dogshit in comedy half the so called jokes and gags in SH were so bad it made the jokes from Thor love and thunder look like peak comedy in comparison.

Geraldo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Geraldo » Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:36 am

I bet that Toyotaro wanted to keep the "Strongest Warrior in the Universe" storyline, and tried to pave a new story down that road while utter defeat Uchida was mad and rejected this idea ("F you, haven't you seen what your stupid last arc [Granolah] did to my reputation online?? I was toasted!!").

Then Toriyama came along and said: "look at the online fondness for the 'Super Hero' movie, let's play it safe!"; And utter defeat Uchida remembered that people used to complain about the exclusion of Goten and Trunks throughout the run of "Super", and so this seemingly subpar story came along.

YMK_8000
Not-So-Newbie

Post by YMK_8000 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:51 am

Geraldo wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:36 am I bet that Toyotaro wanted to keep the "Strongest Warrior in the Universe" storyline, and tried to pave a new story down that road while utter defeat Uchida was mad and rejected this idea ("F you, haven't you seen what your stupid last arc [Granolah] did to my reputation online?? I was toasted!!").

Then Toriyama came along and said: "look at the online fondness for the 'Super Hero' movie, let's play it safe!"; And utter defeat Uchida remembered that people used to complain about the exclusion of Goten and Trunks throughout the run of "Super", and so this seemingly subpar story came along.
Lol is that like a meme name for him nowadays utter defeat uchiha? Eh Toriyama is a extreme recluse and Luddite I doubt he uses the Internet plus if he did he’d know there was no fondness for that million dollar fan fiction masquerading as a so called passion project

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:14 am

Am I interested into retelling of a recent movie? Not really.
But if they will squeeze a bunch of extra and worthwhile stuff, yeah.

I wasn't interested in the SW Andor series for example, not at all, but it proved me otherwise and I was never so hyped for a SW series before.
21st December can't come soon enough.

I have liked the refreshed cast of Gohan, Goten and Trunks at the beginning of Buu arc, until they were absorbed by Buu.
Afterwards, they fell into being just a cannon fodder for Gotenks in movies and Super, with passable comic relief.
I love, that they have grown up finally in Super Hero and can't wait to see them more in action.
And if there is Toriyama behind and I hope, fully involved in writing, he can make them work again if just for comedy purposes.
The last movie was stellar in Toriyama humor and characters, so that's a huge reason for me looking forward to it.
Looking back, I miss a bit ROF arc in manga for the sake of complete story on a bookshelf as Freeza returns later for Tournament Of Power and again, with new form at the end of the current run, but after the recent Granolah arc, skipping Broly was a good move. It would be another skirmish on page through Toyotaro's storyboard and there wasn't much of a story to begin with, except for introduction of a reinvented Broly and his friends.

I am really skeptical about the return of anime and adaptation of manga into TV. I seriously believe it won't happen, but if by any chance does, I pray to Kami that they won't adapt the movies again and making Super Hero for the third time. Even tho it might be interesting to get the movie in classic 2D animation and I believe, that they won't screw up the production again, like they did the first time.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

YMK_8000
Not-So-Newbie

Post by YMK_8000 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:03 pm

MCDaveG wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:14 am.
The last movie was stellar in Toriyama humor and characters, so that's a huge reason for me looking forward to it.

Can I ask what was example of a gag or joke that you consider good humor in the recent movie? I felt all of them were extremely forced to a cringeworthy level to where you might as well had a studio audience laugh track playing after every one.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:14 am

I feel like we are getting a DBSSH prequel because they want to adapt SH into the anime by the time when the DBS anime returns. So that they can have a story that connects with each other.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:12 pm

Curious to see how the pacing of the next arc will. Even if it starts before the movie events, I'm still expecting to be faster than the last two arcs
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:46 pm

IDK, I always thought Toyotaro's sense of comedic timing (if not always the actual content of the jokes themselves, something he arguably has most in common with Toriyama) was pretty great. Beerus spit-taking a massive barrel of beer straight into Shin's face made me belly laugh for a solid quarter hour when I first read it. The joke itself isn't that funny or original, but the timing, delivery, slapstick and the absurdity of the situation all mesh together really well. Same applies to most of the jokes in Super Hero.

YMK_8000
Not-So-Newbie

Post by YMK_8000 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:32 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:46 pm IDK, I always thought Toyotaro's sense of comedic timing (if not always the actual content of the jokes themselves, something he arguably has most in common with Toriyama) was pretty great. Beerus spit-taking a massive barrel of beer straight into Shin's face made me belly laugh for a solid quarter hour when I first read it. The joke itself isn't that funny or original, but the timing, delivery, slapstick and the absurdity of the situation all mesh together really well. Same applies to most of the jokes in Super Hero.
But that’s not a good joke. In regards to Superhero it was like a rapid fire of supposedly funny jokes/gags that didn’t land at all. It was like Toriyama was trying to mimic TFS but failed horribly.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:55 pm

Piccolo’s confusion over the live sound-effects, Shen-Long’s rapid fire, dramatic granting of Bulma’s superfluous wishes, the quiet revelation that the Gammas were actually producing holographic sound effects, and numerous instances of Pan faking being in danger got me.

Plus just the little bits of character humor like the weird way Piccolo holds his phone, etc.

Toyotaro’s got some laughs out of me too, although he’s more hit or miss and can sometimes linger on a joke just a bit too long. The “Tower of Evil” gag in AF, his Neko Majin Victory Mission chapter, Boo failing the test in the U6 arc, just the comedic timing/set-up on things like Champa mistaking Goku and Vegeta for push-overs in their heavy training gear, Goku grabbing the Galactic King’s tendril that extra time at the end of the Moro arc, etc. There’s plenty of solid dry humor mixed in. Basically everything involving the Oracle Fish is great as well, especially that bonkers, unexplained fishing contest we drop in on in the Moro arc.

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:22 pm

I'm on board with Goten and Trunks getting their own arc. I've always said this, but I fully support secondary characters getting focus as long as they can relate to the story's premise and aren't just frivolously thrown in for a couple of fillerish limelight chapters or whatever. So we'll see.

I'm much less on board with another film adaptation. Super Hero is hardly Toriyama's best work on DBS (in my view), but I'm also not at all confident that Toyotaro can improve what's already there. But at least if it's remotely as good as the movie, it's already considerably better than the last arc.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:55 pm

YMK_8000 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:32 pm
LoganForkHands73 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:46 pm IDK, I always thought Toyotaro's sense of comedic timing (if not always the actual content of the jokes themselves, something he arguably has most in common with Toriyama) was pretty great. Beerus spit-taking a massive barrel of beer straight into Shin's face made me belly laugh for a solid quarter hour when I first read it. The joke itself isn't that funny or original, but the timing, delivery, slapstick and the absurdity of the situation all mesh together really well. Same applies to most of the jokes in Super Hero.
But that’s not a good joke. In regards to Superhero it was like a rapid fire of supposedly funny jokes/gags that didn’t land at all. It was like Toriyama was trying to mimic TFS but failed horribly.
Did you miss the part where I said it wasn't a "good" joke, but the timing/delivery made up for it? Besides, humour is subjective, my guy. If I laughed at something, who the hell are you to tell me otherwise?

I'll fully agree that Super Hero also has a number of shit tier jokes, but in some cases, the film is still able to sell them well enough to get some laughs from the audience. I've joined the school of thought that Toriyama has a pretty bad sense of humour, but he nevertheless has the comedic chops to sell even the lamest jokes when he has to. For example, Videl and Gohan buying Piccolo stuffed toys as payment for looking after Pan is a pretty awkward, nonsensical gag on paper, but it builds up to a hysterical payoff of Piccolo admitting that he hates the bastard teddies after ranting about Gohan's negligent parenting. Lol.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:30 am

YMK_8000 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:03 pm
MCDaveG wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:14 am.

Can I ask what was example of a gag or joke that you consider good humor in the recent movie? I felt all of them were extremely forced to a cringeworthy level to where you might as well had a studio audience laugh track playing after every one.
That’s your opinion. I don’t need to justify anything that I feel about the movie :)
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Bardock God of Time
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:32 pm

I wonder if we'll get to see them go to Orange Star high

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:26 pm

Something that would be nice to see is a return to Toyotaro's former condensed style of storytelling and panelling, as I get the feeling that Toyotaro will want to get this storyline over and done with fairly quickly. I miss when the Super manga was a brisk, easy read that you could pick up at any point and flick through for a fun time, much like Toriyama's original comic.

Rereading his later arcs is almost exactly as painful as when they first came out because the story still just takes foreverrrr to get anywhere, there's so much padding and wasted panel space. One trope in Toyotaro's panelling that I absolutely can't stand anymore is the constant use of dramatic slow zooms across several panels. Usually depicting a character just standing there... MENACINGLY! As the Super Hero Arc will be lighter, hopefully we'll see less of these. Toriyama used zooming panel layouts sparingly in order to keep the action flowingly nicely, and so they had more impact when he did use them. Cell slowly turning round to see who shot him from behind is both hype as fuck and it cleverly reveals new information to the reader in a dramatic, suspenseful way. Breaking news, Toriyama is one of the G.O.A.T.s, back to you in the studio. What new info is gleaned from several panels of Granolah glaring at the Heeters? Anyway, rant over.