"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Femme Fatale Kikaza
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Femme Fatale Kikaza » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:22 pm

As long as Goku doesn't spare Moro out of the kindness of his heart I think I'll tolerate what happens. Because we all know Moro would just try to find some type of advantage and pretend he's going to change before trying to kill everyone again. The hand will likely get Moro back to normal and Vegeta might actually get a chance to use his defusion technique.

Once Moro's defused, they should kill him instantly. No bs, no nothing. Just flat out obliterate Moro from the face of earth and make sure he never comes back to life. Moro is too dangerous to be allowed to live, he's gotten off the hook too many times, Earth will be his grave by the end of the arc, even if he has to take a few more people with him before he dies.
The Dorkie and Ditzy member of the Trio! I'm as cute and as airheaded as you can get!

Dylanrockin
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Dylanrockin » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:58 pm

DiscountDabi wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:33 pm
LegendBroly wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:15 pm A lot of people won't agree but i feel like DBS will go down as the best Dragon Ball saga ever!
Agree to Disagree

I’d also like to bring something up. The Hand that Merus Cut off was his Left Hand, and the one that Moro got burned off was also his left hand. I have a bad feeling about this.
I don't know why people keep saying that he has one arm with his copy ability still in tact. Both were shot. Once when he was on the ground and the other when he was flung high into the air by Merus' staff. Then he punched his head-orb, which is where all of his copy abilities were stored. Even if he did have his left arm still in tact, it wouldn't matter since his head-piece is broken.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:06 pm

LegendBroly wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:15 pmI feel like DBS will go down as the best Dragon Ball saga ever!
Damn! What makes you think that?
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:35 pm

Another amazing chapter.

The art is, once again, unbelievably good. And Toriyama corrected a couple of drawings too!

Choreography was very good, too. I particularly liked the freeze move + uppercut Goku did to Moro. That was fantastic.

As for the story, I wonder if Goku intends on sparing Moro after beating him up some more?
I think the ending was great because it was unexpected, yet in character, for Goku to act like that.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:53 pm

Femme Fatale Kikaza wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:22 pm As long as Goku doesn't spare Moro out of the kindness of his heart I think I'll tolerate what happens. Because we all know Moro would just try to find some type of advantage and pretend he's going to change before trying to kill everyone again. The hand will likely get Moro back to normal and Vegeta might actually get a chance to use his defusion technique.

Once Moro's defused, they should kill him instantly. No bs, no nothing. Just flat out obliterate Moro from the face of earth and make sure he never comes back to life. Moro is too dangerous to be allowed to live, he's gotten off the hook too many times, Earth will be his grave by the end of the arc, even if he has to take a few more people with him before he dies.
Also if I'm not mistaken Moro's army is rampaging across the universe, which means Moro's death is even more vital than before. Kill Moro and his minions will surely lose hope and surrender. But if you let Moro live, then those minions will always remain a threat, even if from the shadows.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:55 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:53 pm
Femme Fatale Kikaza wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:22 pm As long as Goku doesn't spare Moro out of the kindness of his heart I think I'll tolerate what happens. Because we all know Moro would just try to find some type of advantage and pretend he's going to change before trying to kill everyone again. The hand will likely get Moro back to normal and Vegeta might actually get a chance to use his defusion technique.

Also if I'm not mistaken Moro's army is rampaging across the universe, which means Moro's death is even more vital than before. Kill Moro and his minions will surely lose hope and surrender. But if you let Moro live, then those minions will always remain a threat, even if from the shadows.
Moro's army was imprisoned one or two chapters ago. It's just Moro now.

Femme Fatale Kikaza
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Femme Fatale Kikaza » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:59 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:53 pm

Most of them are either arrested or dead, however for the surviving minions that are now being locked up, it'd be best to kill Moro as to make sure he doesn't pull a stunt like this again. He could just break them out of his prison if he needed to and have a bunch of loyal fighters at his disposal.

Hell, if Moro powered all his minions like he did Saganbo, the arc would've ended a while ago with the earth being drained and everyone dead. if Moro survives, there's no telling what he'll do, he'll drain the universe and everyone will die.

Sparing Moro is a death sentence for Universe 7, because he'll kill everyone until only he and his followers remain. And if Moro got to other universes, he'll be damn near unstoppable. All he has to do is kill the Supreme Kai's before anyone can stop him and he's free to reign supreme as long as the Zeno's remain oblivious. At that point, even if he's killed the damage done will require the Super Dragon Balls to fix...and let's hope Moro doesn't find out what those are. Because it'll get ugly.

End of the line, Moro is irredeemable and NEEDS to be killed by the end of the arc, because otherwise him being alive means everyone will die. Him being spared would quite literally kill everyone.
The Dorkie and Ditzy member of the Trio! I'm as cute and as airheaded as you can get!

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:42 pm

Gruesome as it may sound, couldn't Moro be subdued via spinal paralysis or a lobotomy? I'm not sure if the Galactic Patrol would be accepting of having to care for a physically and/or mentally impaired inmate but the option is available.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:47 pm

-Chapter 64-

Toyotaro's framing is getting better!

Loved Goku's portrayal in this chapter. That talk with Jaco in the beginning was the best part for me and after Toyotaro treating Omen like a normal power up, it's good to see MUI portrayed right too.

2 or 3 chapters for the end, I assume.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:54 pm

I liked the pacing of this chapter. There were a lot of panels without dialogue with a focus on poses or facial expressions. It almost made it feel slow, but not in a way that I disliked. After all of the build-up for MnG from RoF until now, what we got here feels like a proper payoff. So many impactful panels. MnG truly looks best in black-and-white, IMO.

Somewhat disappointed MnG is buff in the manga now. Not sure who's decision this was. As fans, we can see the design was modified to fit with the portrayal of the form in the anime/FighterZ, but it creates an odd situation in the manga continuity. Without context, I would assume that his "less mastered" version from the ToP took a toll on his body and made him skinny, but after training with Merus, he's been able to utilize it with his normal musculature. As far as we know, that's not actually how MnG works, but I guess it makes more sense than for him to suddenly become skinny in a potential anime adaptation. Still, Goku's expressions and body language perfectly fit the "true" spirit of MnG (much more than Yuya Takahashi's berserk version from the anime). This chapter sells the idea that MnG is body detached from mind better than anything else that has attempted it.

Interesting side of Beerus this chapter, and I especially liked his short exchange with Goku.

I really have no idea what Goku means when he says he's going to fight like an Earthling. He seems to understand that he needs to give Moro the "death penalty". Does he mean he's going to fight for his selfish Goku reasons? Is he going to drop out of MnG? Goku spoke with Merus about how he accidentally converts villains, so I suppose he could try that, but surely Goku knows that wouldn't work on Moro. With Freeza, he was allowed to live because they could just kick his ass again if he tried anything, and he earned it by saving U7. Moro will destroy Earth the first chance he gets, and he cannot help but constantly feed. I'd like to hear what you guys think about this...
emperior wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:35 pm The art is, once again, unbelievably good. And Toriyama corrected a couple of drawings too!
I saw some discussion about this on Twitter, but I'm not sure where this is coming from. What makes people think that there were Toriyama corrections?
Dylanrockin wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:58 pm I don't know why people keep saying that he has one arm with his copy ability still in tact. Both were shot. Once when he was on the ground and the other when he was flung high into the air by Merus' staff. Then he punched his head-orb, which is where all of his copy abilities were stored. Even if he did have his left arm still in tact, it wouldn't matter since his head-piece is broken.
When Moro grabbed Merus' neck, Merus cut off Moro's arm with his staff. Moro then re-grew that hand while the old hand remained on the ground. Merus sealed the regrown hand, the hand that was never cut off, and the forehead. So technically, there is a hand on the ground with an unsealed gem (if it hasn't fallen in lava by now...).

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:19 pm

batistabus wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:54 pm Somewhat disappointed MnG is buff in the manga now. Not sure who's decision this was. As fans, we can see the design was modified to fit with the portrayal of the form in the anime/FighterZ, but it creates an odd situation in the manga continuity. Without context, I would assume that his "less mastered" version from the ToP took a toll on his body and made him skinny, but after training with Merus, he's been able to utilize it with his normal musculature. As far as we know, that's not actually how MnG works, but I guess it makes more sense than for him to suddenly become skinny in a potential anime adaptation. Still, Goku's expressions and body language perfectly fit the "true" spirit of MnG (much more than Yuya Takahashi's berserk version from the anime). This chapter sells the idea that MnG is body detached from mind better than anything else that has attempted it.
I have to say, I think musculature suits Ultra Instinct better so I'm not bothered by this at all. I'd only consider it a simple art style shift just like the countless ones done by Toriyama in the manga's run, not a continuity hiccup. I like your explanation though!

Toyotaro drew a more slender UI exactly like Toriyama but I've never been a huge fan of the fact that it was a blatant palette swap of Super Saiyan God. Literally the same concept art but recoloured. Even with the precedence of Super Saiyan Blue, that felt unforgivably lazy. Ultra Instinct and Super Saiyan God are meant to have a similar energy, both being tranquil divine forms, but I feel that Ultra Instinct's inherent physicality (the need to be constantly dodging) demands the more muscular look personally.

I agree that the detached-ness of the form is marvellously conveyed in this chapter. I know it also happened in the ToP, but the fact that Goku's eyes are always fixed dead-ahead or downwards, never actually looking at his opponent, is an awesome detail.

And everyone saying that Perfect Ultra Instinct would become the new Super Saiyan... I guess everyone completely forgot that the anime version's first appearance had Goku scream in anger and punch Jiren in the face after he shot at his friends. The most popular YouTube clip of it is even called "Goku gets pissed and punches Jiren" :lol:
Interesting side of Beerus this chapter, and I especially liked his short exchange with Goku.
I like how Goku is totally unphased by Beerus's presence, he could have been there the whole time for all he knows but he's not bothered by it at all. Beerus and Whis are like parents watching their child ride a bike without stabilisers.

Femme Fatale Kikaza
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Femme Fatale Kikaza » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:23 pm

Sparing Moro would literally get everyone killed. He's legit the closest pure evil being you can get that isn't created to be evil or made up of it. His henchmen are more redeemable then he is.

If Moro gets healed, we know that he'll kill everyone once he regains his footing.Mercy for Moro would be a quick and near painless death given the state he's in.

Besides, Moro is on the brink of death, he's so battered and bruised that I think Yamcha could kill him with a bit of effort. He's literally missing an arm and slowly dying.

I don't know what Goku means when he says fighting as an earthling because let's be real, if any of the earthling fighters were in Goku's place they'd kill him asap. Moro needs to be killed, because otherwise it'd be a travesty of justice for those he's killed directly and indirectly, but his presence would make Universe 7 a barren wasteland.

EGonzo
Beyond Newbie

Post by EGonzo » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:10 pm

So... this is the chapter that broke me. Goku's insanely idiotic speech destroyed any hopes I had of the manga ever being good. This is the moment the entire manga has been building to, his mastery of Ultra Instinct and change from the selfish hero to someone who cares about others... AND ALL THE DEVELOPMENT WAS OFF-SCREEN.
Are you fucking serious, Toyo? This is your stupid masterstroke, and you don't invest any time in it?! Goku's training to reach Omen? Off-screen. Bonding with Meerus? Off-screen. Learning the value of using your strength to help others? Off-fucking-screen!
At this point his dumbass "I just realized I've never fought alone" moment is minor by comparison. Of course you've never fought alone you dipshit, most of your victories have been with the help of your friends.

But oddly enough, giving up on the manga is making me enjoy it more. Now I see it as a fan work with mediocre writing but great artwork and half-decent fight scenes. This is another Dragon Ball Multiverse to me. I thought the transformation was cool, and Toyo finally pulled off a good fight scene.

Dylanrockin
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Dylanrockin » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:16 pm

batistabus wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:54 pm I liked the pacing of this chapter. There were a lot of panels without dialogue with a focus on poses or facial expressions. It almost made it feel slow, but not in a way that I disliked. After all of the build-up for MnG from RoF until now, what we got here feels like a proper payoff. So many impactful panels. MnG truly looks best in black-and-white, IMO.

Somewhat disappointed MnG is buff in the manga now. Not sure who's decision this was. As fans, we can see the design was modified to fit with the portrayal of the form in the anime/FighterZ, but it creates an odd situation in the manga continuity. Without context, I would assume that his "less mastered" version from the ToP took a toll on his body and made him skinny, but after training with Merus, he's been able to utilize it with his normal musculature. As far as we know, that's not actually how MnG works, but I guess it makes more sense than for him to suddenly become skinny in a potential anime adaptation. Still, Goku's expressions and body language perfectly fit the "true" spirit of MnG (much more than Yuya Takahashi's berserk version from the anime). This chapter sells the idea that MnG is body detached from mind better than anything else that has attempted it.

I really have no idea what Goku means when he says he's going to fight like an Earthling. He seems to understand that he needs to give Moro the "death penalty". Does he mean he's going to fight for his selfish Goku reasons? Is he going to drop out of MnG? Goku spoke with Merus about how he accidentally converts villains, so I suppose he could try that, but surely Goku knows that wouldn't work on Moro. With Freeza, he was allowed to live because they could just kick his ass again if he tried anything, and he earned it by saving U7. Moro will destroy Earth the first chance he gets, and he cannot help but constantly feed. I'd like to hear what you guys think about this...
emperior wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:35 pm The art is, once again, unbelievably good. And Toriyama corrected a couple of drawings too!
I saw some discussion about this on Twitter, but I'm not sure where this is coming from. What makes people think that there were Toriyama corrections?
Dylanrockin wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:58 pm I don't know why people keep saying that he has one arm with his copy ability still in tact. Both were shot. Once when he was on the ground and the other when he was flung high into the air by Merus' staff. Then he punched his head-orb, which is where all of his copy abilities were stored. Even if he did have his left arm still in tact, it wouldn't matter since his head-piece is broken.
When Moro grabbed Merus' neck, Merus cut off Moro's arm with his staff. Moro then re-grew that hand while the old hand remained on the ground. Merus sealed the regrown hand, the hand that was never cut off, and the forehead. So technically, there is a hand on the ground with an unsealed gem (if it hasn't fallen in lava by now...).
That would be a valid point, if it did a Chekov's Gun and made sure to draw attention to it being on the ground, specifically in-frame, on a dedicated panel. They did something like this with Super Buu, but the difference between this and Moro is that Super Buu's goo/tentacle, depending on what fight we're talking about, was specifically framed on in several shots. They never did that with this and even if it was to an issue, remember that Goku is in Master UI - he'll automatically react to any and all threats without thinking about it or even being aware of it. That's the point of Mastered UI - he's not the same Goku that got shot in the heart, because lol "my guard was down and a lowly grunt shot me."

ssj3kakarot
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssj3kakarot » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:43 pm

That punch!!!!

Not only did it serve as some beautiful eye candy as far as the technique of Goku and showcasing the superiority of Ultra Instinct, but also really shows how jacked Goku....

Has Whis ever shown "flinching" before like he did in this chapter? Beerus was visibly moved (his ears, but still), and the entire planet took a shock wave from the punch. It's like in One Punch Man, they try and show what Saitamas punches do to the surronding area, to really give us an idea of the destruction. This punch was awesome!
" I swear on that faith I can never back down now" - Goku

Femme Fatale Kikaza
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Femme Fatale Kikaza » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:18 pm

Whatever happens, lets just hope that Goku doesn't say 'I'm giving you one last chance, Moro. You can change or die.' or give him a bean. If that happens I'll get so angry because redeeming someone like Moro is impossible and too much of a risk. Who knows if Moro wouldn't bide his time and just wait for them to drop their guards and kill them? Moro cannot live past this arc, he either needs to die or be sealed, that's the only option. He can't remain free.

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:25 pm

Ok while everyone else is talking about Mastered UI and Goku Sparing Moro, I’m asking the more important questions.

Why did Moro’s Belt Change When he Ate 7-3? Why Toyotarou? I need answers.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:37 pm

I have the impression Goku doesn’t want to execute Moro as a Galatic Patrolman, but rather defeat him in a proper fight, as an Earthling warrior, making him lose consciousness or something like that. That’s how Goku does things.

Femme Fatale Kikaza
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Femme Fatale Kikaza » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:43 pm

Hugo Boss wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:37 pm I have the impression Goku doesn’t want to execute Moro as a Galatic Patrolman, but rather defeat him in a proper fight, as an Earthling warrior, making him lose consciousness or something like that. That’s how Goku does things.
Moro is legit almost dead, he's barley teetering between life and death, a boulder of all things crushed him. He's gonna lose consciousness sooner or later anyhow with the way Goku beat him. MUI Goku went full on ass-kicking berserker mode on him and he's barley alive.

Yeah, and then Moro proceeds to have some type of advantage and takes it before flipping things over and making this arc another few chapters. Seriously, it's insane not to kill the fucker, Moro is a danger as long as he lives, Earth will be his resting place regardless, Goku just will end up dragging Moro's demise out for a bit.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:00 pm

This is already Moro's second chance, everybody got almost killed after Vegeta "hesitated" to kill him. Sparing him, trying to convert him or giving him some kind of aid is out of the question IMO.
He was about to eat Earth but Goku got to him before he could even try it, so I think it's safe to say Goku knows the stakes here. Also I think that talk with Merus about sparing villains might foreshadow that Goku will kill Moro, in a sense that he'll do that if there's no fixing you and that he is not some kind of idiot that blindly believes everybody is redeemable.

I really don't know what could fighting like an earthling possibly mean. He was already doing a great job, but now looks to be taking things even more seriously with the gi-ripping and all.

The only earthling fightstyle I know of is stalling until Goku shows up, but he is Goku, so... :think: