"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Trek405

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Trek405 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:48 pm

DiscountDabi wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:01 pm So has anyone mentioned the fact that the whole "The Universe's strongest warrior is about to be born" isn't just a promotional tagline. If you look at the trailer you can match up the Kanji with the Oracle Fish's Speech Bubbles. The Oracle fish is saying this, so it's more than likely actually going to happen, unlike the Broly movie's "Strongest vs Strongest" thing.
I'm not excited over the power levels or whatever but I'm curious how toyo will find a way to rival UI. Both whis and merus have mentioned how UI would allow goku to handle any enemy.

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:57 pm

Trek405 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:48 pmI'm not excited over the power levels or whatever but I'm curious how toyo will find a way to rival UI. Both whis and merus have mentioned how UI would allow goku to handle any enemy.
Perhaps OG73-I is at the centre of it, since his copy power managed to take Merus's Ultra Instinct.

If the 'new enemy' has Ultra Instinct as a result of something like this, then it might become a level playing field again where some other advantage is enough to make the difference (both as problem and as resolution) - after all, Whis seems to still be beyond Goku's capabilities, for instance, so that must be down to something or other.

It wouldn't be the most imaginative method of progressing things, naturally, but I guess it would make sense.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:03 pm

Anyone else thinks this will be Frieza's final arc? I can't really see where his story could progress after this. Since Granolah has a grudge against Frieza, but is very redeemable (since he's really just a survivor suffering from PTSD, just like Future Trunks), it wouldn't surprise me if "Frieza with mind-controlled Broly" turned out to be the final villain of the arc, and Granolah helped defeat Frieza/sacrificed himself.

I know Frieza is super popular, but does anyone really think he'll stick around forever? I mean, he's still a villain, he literally said he'll return to his evil ways, and at the end of the Broly movie his army invaded a civilian world. He's still very much a threat to the protagonists, one that needs to be addressed.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:16 pm

Yes, please! I want Freeza gone; he's just diminishing returns at this point. Let's move on from him.

Also not interested in power levels; the sense I'm getting from all this prior to the release of the chapter is yet more rehash/remix: Tuffles + Bojack + Hatchiyack. Not exciting when I can see the parallels because of been there done that, so I hope they aren't so similar that a familiar audience can't easily chronograph the entire storyline. I'm thrilled the manga has finally escaped the black hole of repetition (imo) that was Moro, but I'm getting too much of a made by committee feel these Granola arc elements have at face value.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:53 pm

Why do people keep talking about Frieza controlling Broly? I know he said that in the movie but Broly is Goku's friend now and is probably training with him so how is he going to control him when Lemo and Cheelai is there?

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:58 pm

Jiren The Alpha wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:53 pm Why do people keep talking about Frieza controlling Broly? I know he said that in the movie but Broly is Goku's friend now and is probably training with him so how is he going to control him when Lemo and Cheelai is there?
Frieza controls an advanced, inter-galactic empire with many scientists, engineers, doctors, etc. Certainly it wouldn't be too hard for him to find any device or substance that could put Broly under his control. Paragus had such a device and he was just one Saiyan.

Frieza himself admits that he needs Broly if he wants to defeat the Saiyans, who have become too strong for him. It's not people who are saying this, it's the story itself.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:00 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:20 am I prefer the MODERN!

Not the ancient and primitive..

I prefer the stylish, the elegant, the divine, and the slim and skinny versions over their opposites!

I prefer the feminine.. over the masculine..! (in this specific case at least!)

No body hair > yes body hair.

No tail, more human-like > yes tail, more animalistic.

Goku Black, Zamasu, and the Angels are the perfect examples of what I’m looking for! As are SSJ God Goku and UI Goku!
That's cool but you do realize that the main group of this franchise is a race of ape-people right?

And considering how "modern, divine, slim" transformations dominated the franchise for the past decade or so, don't you think it's fair that the fans of "hairy" side of Saiyan nautre got something to be excited about too?

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:12 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:58 pm
Jiren The Alpha wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:53 pm Why do people keep talking about Frieza controlling Broly? I know he said that in the movie but Broly is Goku's friend now and is probably training with him so how is he going to control him when Lemo and Cheelai is there?
Frieza controls an advanced, inter-galactic empire with many scientists, engineers, doctors, etc. Certainly it wouldn't be too hard for him to find any device or substance that could put Broly under his control. Paragus had such a device and he was just one Saiyan.

Frieza himself admits that he needs Broly if he wants to defeat the Saiyans, who have become too strong for him. It's not people who are saying this, it's the story itself.
The only reason Frieza need Broly is because its 2v1, Frieza can still train and get stronger, himself and vegeta said so in the movie. the story also said that Goku will never come back after the Cell arc. but lets see what happends, my boy Jiren is probaly not gonna be in it but i can dream :( .

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:23 pm

Seems like I may be one of the few people around here that doesn't want Freeza to die in this arc. I find him more interesting that most of the Z Fighters.

Other battle shounens keep villains around throughout the story while DB follows the formula "villain appears and gets killed in the same arc" almost everytime and when that doesn't happen is because the previous main villain becomes Goku's new friend in the next arc. A little change on this trope would be a breath of fresh air

The direction Toei was taking his character during ToP with the idea of overthrowing the Gods was promising. Much better than only thinking on his revenge against Goku. Unfortunately Toriyama seems more interested in making him 5 cm taller and that's a problem... :roll:
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:26 pm

I can't even imagine how badly Frieza would get destroyed if he really tried to defy the Gods.

He was banking on using the Super Dragon Balls to overthrow the Gods, otherwise he's terrified by Beerus alone (see his reaction to Beerus' presence in RoF). He could try to gather the Dragon Balls again, the problem is that he doesn't know where the Dragon Balls are. He'd have to scour two universes for their locations, then find a way to move planet-sized orbs. And no doubt the Gods would notice a pattern in his movements and try to keep an eye on him, since he's very infamous.

Yeah, Frieza should just be a good ningen and learn his place. Thank God he didn't win the ToP, otherwise he would've made a selfish way and gotten the entire multiverse erased.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:43 pm

The one interesting direction for Freeza that could inject him with some much needed intrigue in the minds of fans would be if he became an Hakaishin candidate. Whis has been looking for a successor to Beerus and neither of the Saiyans are interested. Not only does Freeza have the eagerness and experience to oversee planets, his being in an official deistic capacity like that could introduce a new dynamic in his relationship with the Saiyans as they're now being faced with an official subordinate of Zeno's who happens to be aiding in the security of universal balance of their whole world.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:44 pm

Basaku wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:00 pm

I prefer the stylish, the elegant, the divine, and the slim and skinny versions over their opposites!

Goku Black, Zamasu, and the Angels are the perfect examples of what I’m looking for! As are SSJ God Goku and UI Goku!
That's cool but you do realize that the main group of this franchise is a race of ape-people right?

And considering how "modern, divine, slim" transformations dominated the franchise for the past decade or so, don't you think it's fair that the fans of "hairy" side of Saiyan nautre got something to be excited about too?
No. I don’t think that’s fair at all. It’s 2021 now. It’s time to get with the times and evolve already. They’re humans, not apes. We are humans now, not apes anymore. We were apes in the past too on this planet. Now we’re humans. This whole primitive and animalistic mindset needs to go. It seems the reason why these specific people like SSJ4 so much, is because they’re still clinging to the past. They long to go back to the stone age and beyond. Hence refuse to evolve. (It’s a psychological, and above all, “symbolic” thing.)

But people have the right to express their opinion. That’s fine. I just disagree. That is all.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:01 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:44 pm No. I don’t think that’s fair at all. It’s 2021 now. It’s time to get with the times and evolve already. They’re humans, not apes. We are humans now, not apes anymore. We were apes in the past too on this planet. Now we’re humans. This whole primitive and animalistic mindset needs to go. It seems the reason why these specific people like SSJ4 so much, is because they’re still clinging to the past. They long to go back to the stone age and beyond. Hence refuse to evolve. (It’s a psychological, and above all, “symbolic” thing.)

But people have the right to express their opinion. That’s fine. I just disagree. That is all.
?????? This franchise is not set in a real-time and/or real world lol. I mean, what are you even talking about? Were humans in real world apes when Dragon Ball started in 1984? :lol:

Should we ban costume dramas too because they're "outdated"? :lol:

Gonna give it to u, one of the funniest and most bizarre (absurd?) posts I've read on the forums for sure :D :lol:

OrangeBanana
Beyond Newbie

Post by OrangeBanana » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:09 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:44 pm
Basaku wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:00 pm

No. I don’t think that’s fair at all. It’s 2021 now. It’s time to get with the times and evolve already. They’re humans, not apes. We are humans now, not apes anymore. We were apes in the past too on this planet. Now we’re humans. This whole primitive and animalistic mindset needs to go. It seems the reason why these specific people like SSJ4 so much, is because they’re still clinging to the past. They long to go back to the stone age and beyond. Hence refuse to evolve. (It’s a psychological, and above all, “symbolic” thing.)

Ermm Goku and Vegeta aren't humans, they're saiyans. Plus bringing in SSJ4 and giving it to vegeta would be great story wise, it would in theory show that they are taking different approaches to becoming stronger. Goku was never as attached to his saiyan past as vegeta was, which makes sense why a form like MUI fits him perfectly as he chooses to go for a power which abandons emotion for control and calm. vegeta as a character was never like this at all so a form like SSJ4 which delves deep into the true nature of a Saiyan and draws upon that primal power and instinct is a perfect fit for him.

Bardock God of Time
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:26 pm

Yuji wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:41 pm It's interesting that Granola seems to have a justified grudge against Freeza (something that Bebi from GT lacked) but I hope this isn't used as an excuse to overlook the Saiyans' involvement in the atrocities committed on his home world. I hope Bardock's appearance functions as more than a simple cameo and is instead the trigger for the conflict between Goku and Granola.

As some other users said, the prospect of a four-faction showdown between Granola, the new characters, Goku and Vegeta, and Freeza's force, is enticing. On paper, it looks like an ambitious arc.

I was somewhat confident that Goku would not keep Ultra Instinct, only his Sign form, that Toyotarou would backtrack and have Goku claim after the Moro arc that he truly hadn't mastered the form yet and did it on a fluke, much like the Tournament of Power. This is a pleasant surprise, but on the other hand I am now concerned over the possibility that Ultra Instinct's status may be undermined after all its build-up if these new opponents prove just as powerful.

I anticipate Goku will go down easily against Whis, but it stands the question of who would prevail in a battle between Goku and Beerus at this point. It seems odd that Toyotarou didn't take the chance to portray that fight considering how long the manga has been building up to their rematch, but perhaps he has bigger plans for exploring their dynamic in the future.

I am cautiously optimistic and very interested.
I would like to see something along the lines of Granola coming across Goten and thinking he's related to Bardock. Trunks would probably be with Goten and they'll accidently reveal that Trunks is Vegeta's son. Granola could kidnap Goten and Trunks to use them as a Trap/Lure for "Bardock" (Goku) and Vegeta. :think:

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:00 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:03 pm Anyone else thinks this will be Frieza's final arc? I can't really see where his story could progress after this. Since Granolah has a grudge against Frieza, but is very redeemable (since he's really just a survivor suffering from PTSD, just like Future Trunks), it wouldn't surprise me if "Frieza with mind-controlled Broly" turned out to be the final villain of the arc, and Granolah helped defeat Frieza/sacrificed himself.

I know Frieza is super popular, but does anyone really think he'll stick around forever? I mean, he's still a villain, he literally said he'll return to his evil ways, and at the end of the Broly movie his army invaded a civilian world. He's still very much a threat to the protagonists, one that needs to be addressed.
I wish but I doubt it (to this being the last we see of Freeza specifically)

Let me just pray there isn’t a Goku/Vegeta/Freeza team up since this antagonist has a reason to dislike both the Saiyans & Freeza. If Freeza could manipulate things in his favor that may be interesting but I don’t see how in this case

And I’d love the idea of Goten & Trunks being kidnapped or just being involved in any significant way actually. I won’t hold my breath though. They will probably be sent to 17’s Island again for some reason

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:07 pm

Kinokima wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:00 pm And I’d love the idea of Goten & Trunks being kidnapped or just being involved in any significant way actually. I won’t hold my breath though. They will probably be sent to 17’s Island again for some reason
I'd love it too BUT ONLY if they're grown ups (or teenagers). I don't want to see them look like eight and seven year old kids from Boo Saga. If it's the second option, then I'd prefer to not see them at all.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:18 pm

This new story sounds like it could be a repeat of Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans, but with a new race instead. Makes me wonder what is the point of having Tsufuru-jins in the first place? It won't surprise me if Toriyama forgot about them.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:23 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:18 pmMakes me wonder what is the point of having Tsufuru-jins in the first place? It won't surprise me if Toriyama forgot about them.
He seems to have remembered them as recently as 2014, which, given the number of other things he's forgotten from time to time, was a surprise to me when I read it.

Gogeta SSJ Blue
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gogeta SSJ Blue » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:15 pm

Why are people even talking about Tuffles?

There is nothing indicating Tuffles!

There may seem like a parallelism with other Tuffles arcs but it should just be totally different.

This might actually be way more interesting than Baby or Hatchiyack ever were.
Last edited by Gogeta SSJ Blue on Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.