"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Bergamo » Sat May 19, 2018 12:09 pm

The art this chapter was quality, and it really makes me realize just how lacking last chapter's visuals. I want to say that this is the best chapter thus far, but I should probably wait for the English version and for this chapter to really sink in. I was worried that 18 and Piccolo were going to be shamefully removed from the tournament, but they seemed to have been used effectively.

In conclusion, another quality entry.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat May 19, 2018 12:11 pm

LightBing wrote:Why should Piccolo fight the Namekians? Just because they are the same species?
If they're not going to give him anything else then yes.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Exline
Beyond Newbie

Post by Exline » Sat May 19, 2018 12:47 pm

OhHiRenan wrote:While I don't like how U7's fighters have been knocked off so far, I do like that Toyo's not saving the U7 for closer to the end of the tournament. It was weird in the anime how long most of U7's team lasted. Also, it was weird how U11's team basically fell apart in the first half. I vastly prefer the manga's approach of keeping them all in so far. You really get the sense they're this formidable, almost unstoppable team from lack of eliminations alone. Though, I'm sure that'll start to change soon.
Yeah it's neat that U11 is being displayed as a much superior universe capable of surviving this tournament compared to the other universes, but Toyotaro hasn't really shown us why this is the case. We haven't seen Jiren protecting his teammates, and any other pride trooper not named Toppo or Dyspo is shown to be fodder against just SSJ Goku. So them being the universe with the most team members still on the field doesn't have that much impact on me because we haven't seen them do anything to show why they are so formidable.
LightBing wrote:Without knowing what's, I call this a great chapter far far better than the last one.
The Battle Royal dynamic is back, characters helping each other out, Universe 4 hidden fighters doing stuff early instead of been hidden for 90% of the tournament, we even gotten a gag fight with #18 and Vegeta kicking ass. The danger and chaos is still well present with #18 and Piccolo going out.

#17 and Piccolo were specially cool this chapter.

The only lackluster thing is Goku vs Jiren, they just stopped? I'll wait for the text but that seems extremely forced.
I agree. I'll wait til the English version is released to give my full thoughts, but I thought this chapter was pretty great. I like the Battle Royal feel. Chapter 35 didn't sit well with me due to how it focused solely on just Goku, Jiren, and Hit.

I am a bit saddened that Piccolo suffered the same elimination in the anime. It still makes no sense to me why he is the one losing to a bug whilst 17 uses his Ears to detect him. Could've sworn Piccolo was the character with Super hearing but oh well.. At least I can say it was done much better here in the Manga in the anime. It felt less awkward and a bit more natural compared to 119.

and the fight with 18 and Ribrianne was pretty boring in terms of action, but quite funny due to Ribrianne performing poorly after noticing 18's gorgeous husbando, Krillin. I now understand why batistabus and others found it funny haha.

I also agree with the fact that Piccolo does not need to fight the Namekians again. I'd rather see a much more different fight.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Sat May 19, 2018 12:48 pm

sintzu wrote:
LightBing wrote:Why should Piccolo fight the Namekians? Just because they are the same species?
Piccolo was one of the MVPs this chapter. 2 eliminations and an assist. As a huge Piccolo fan, I'm quite happy with this send-off.
Exline wrote:Toyotaro hasn't really shown us why this is the case
As of this chapter, Jiren has left combat in order to defend his team twice now.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sat May 19, 2018 12:51 pm

batistabus wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Piccolo was one of the MVPs this chapter. 2 eliminations and an assist. As a huge Piccolo fan, I'm quite happy with this send-off.
As a Piccolo fan, I can't like his role as he is essentially treated like filler who knocked out other filler and lost to a little bug.
Bergamo wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:
OLKv3 wrote:Manga Jiren is a team player. That's gonna radically change the dynamic of Jiren and the final battle in general. Anime Jiren suddenly hated friends and thought team ups were a crutch for the weak by the finale. Then his backstory was essentially "I lost my family so all family ties are worthless REEE". Wonder how Toyo will handle this nicer Jiren
The backstory for Jiren is from Toriyama so it is still going to be the same. He will probably start getting annoyed if the other Pride Troopers start losing like in the anime.

The Pride Troopers losing as a team will make them look worse.
How can you even say that you are sure his backstory is going to be the same after this chapter? Elimination order was supposedly from Toriyama, but it's been made apparent that many things can be changed.
Why would a backstory change when Toriyama done it and made sure it was included on the anime. Manga Jiren will be a completly different character if his backstory is different which is just ridiculous.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat May 19, 2018 1:02 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:
batistabus wrote: Piccolo was one of the MVPs this chapter. 2 eliminations and an assist. As a huge Piccolo fan, I'm quite happy with this send-off.
As a Piccolo fan, I can't like his role as he is essentially treated like filler who knocked out other filler and lost to a little bug.
When I think of Piccolo I think of his fights with Freeza and #17, fights that put him on the map as one of DB's best characters. What he got in this chapter and Super as a whole is what I'd expect of Tien or Krillin's level, not someone who put a Ssj to shame at one point.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Sat May 19, 2018 1:05 pm

sintzu wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:
batistabus wrote: Piccolo was one of the MVPs this chapter. 2 eliminations and an assist. As a huge Piccolo fan, I'm quite happy with this send-off.
When I think of Piccolo I think of his fights with Freeza and #17, fights that put him on the map as one of DB's best characters. What he got in this chapter and Super as a whole is what I'd expect of Tien or Krillin's level, not someone who put a Ssj to shame at one point.
That was a long time ago. As a fighter, Piccolo is no longer relevant compared to the rest of the main cast. The fact that he got to fight here and do well at all is nice, especially compared to the Universe 6 tournament.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat May 19, 2018 1:10 pm

batistabus wrote:That was a long time ago. As a fighter, Piccolo is no longer relevant compared to the rest of the main cast.
By main cast you mean Goku and Vegeta which makes things worse as DB doesn't have many relevant characters to justify throwing someone as good as Piccolo to the side.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sat May 19, 2018 1:14 pm

sintzu wrote:
batistabus wrote:That was a long time ago. As a fighter, Piccolo is no longer relevant compared to the rest of the main cast.
By main cast you mean Goku and Vegeta which makes things worse as DB doesn't have many relevant characters to justify throwing someone as good as Piccolo to the side.
This arc is generally much better at utilizing other characters. 17 and Frieza are the best non-saiyan fighters we've had in a while. If Piccolo was to have his moment, it would have been in the u6 arc, but that opportunity has long since passed.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Post by ToshioWrites » Sat May 19, 2018 1:23 pm

There is no main cast, there's two saiyans and then toriyama might throw a bone to someone like Trunks or 17 and even Trunks did almost no fighting in the manga version of this arc once he went back with Goku and Vegeta.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sat May 19, 2018 1:25 pm

batistabus wrote:
sintzu wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:
That was a long time ago. As a fighter, Piccolo is no longer relevant compared to the rest of the main cast. The fact that he got to fight here and do well at all is nice, especially compared to the Universe 6 tournament.
I can't be satisfied until he gets a bigger role and has better fights. When 17 and Roshi got better treatment than Piccolo did I can't be satisfied.

Overall I can't be happy that he just appears and fights nobodies as it means nothing overall. Tbis is a Tournament with 70 potnetial oppoents and potential for a variety of diffetent battles but some of Universr 7 got very little to do for some reason.

I would rather have no Piccolo instead of completely useless Piccolo

Dragon Ball has a ridiculously long list of useless characters which shouldn't happen.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sat May 19, 2018 1:36 pm

This is devolving into favoritism. Piccolo is not better than Kuririn or Muten Roshi, he's just another character a tool for the author. Being weaker or stronger than certain characters doesn't make him earn better performances.

If people think characters were written of-character or such that's a discussion to be had, but when you say you're not happy because other characters did "better" the bias makes it impossible to converse.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sat May 19, 2018 1:51 pm

LightBing wrote:This is devolving into favoritism. Piccolo is not better than Kuririn or Muten Roshi, he's just another character a tool for the author. Being weaker or stronger than certain characters doesn't make him earn better performances.

If people think characters were written of-character or such that's a discussion to be had, but when you say you're not happy because other characters did "better" the bias makes it impossible to converse.
Why does Roshi get better treatment? Why is he is special? The same with 17. It just seems like he picks at random for no reason.

Everyone has some sort of favouritism so that point means nothing and expectations for everyone for different characters is different. In the manga my expectations haven't been met for Piccolo, 18, Tien and Krillin.

Ignoring other characters completely, to me I can't be satisfied with what he done when he is treated as useless.

It is about the quality of what he done and not something like the number of eliminations.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Sat May 19, 2018 2:03 pm

LightBing wrote:Piccolo is not better than Kuririn or Muten Roshi, he's just another character a tool for the author. Being weaker or stronger than certain characters doesn't make him earn better performances.
This; especially not in the franchise's equivalent of The Hunger Games where our protagonists are literally thrown into a battle pit with dozens of other fighters, having no idea what kinds of abilities those other fighters might have. The tournament's structure (or lack thereof, to be more precise) allows for unsuspecting ability match-ups and sudden off-guard eliminations as much as it allows for power scaling. It's an unpredictable beast, and that's the whole premise of the Universe Survival arc.

This goes back to my point last month. Just as Hit's weaker teammates outlasted him, Roshi outlasted Piccolo because Piccolo was in the wrong place at the wrong time -- that's the unfortunate reality of fighting in a battle royale. It's becoming increasingly obvious that people didn't really like the idea behind this arc as much as they thought, so when they see it executed well they go into a frenzy.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Sat May 19, 2018 2:28 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:Why does Roshi get better treatment?
What exactly has happened to Kame-sen'nin that you consider better treatment? All he has done so far is block some punches from Frost and yell at Goku.

Not every character is going to get a show-stopping moment every arc, especially in this sort of scenario. There are plenty of moments where Piccolo shines in the original manga, if you're interested.
Last edited by batistabus on Sat May 19, 2018 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Sat May 19, 2018 2:31 pm

That Vegeta fight was rough. It's the third terrible looking fight the guy gets. Hopefully he'll get something memorable later down the road.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat May 19, 2018 2:37 pm

Draconic wrote:That Vegeta fight was rough. It's the third terrible looking fight the guy gets. Hopefully he'll get something memorable later down the road.
I don't think we're going to see anything major before his fight with Toppo.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Sat May 19, 2018 2:43 pm

sintzu wrote:
Draconic wrote:That Vegeta fight was rough. It's the third terrible looking fight the guy gets. Hopefully he'll get something memorable later down the road.
I'm not exactly looking for anything huge at the moment either, but the rest of the chapter is fine looking, even great at times, so it makes me sad that it has to open so poorly and with Vegete nonetheless, who already got his fair share of shit looking fights in the Black arc
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat May 19, 2018 2:48 pm

Piccolo did fine in this arc while not better than the Anime,he still did well far better than U6 tournament, Here's my list.,[spoiler]-Put Gohan back to shape but we have to see Ultimate Gohan gains still it's worth noting.
    -Managed to defeat Bergamo by separating him and his siblings which were a nuisance for U7.
      -Managed to defeat a U10 member and assisted Gohan and #17 to finished off the remaining U10 members.
        -Lastly he took one of the most dangerous member of U4.,[/spoiler]Also did anyone noticed that Gamisara looks different in this version compared to the anime, he is more humanoid here.
        Mostly active on discord.

MyNiggaGoku
        Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MyNiggaGoku » Sat May 19, 2018 3:04 pm

Draconic wrote:
        sintzu wrote:
        I'm not exactly looking for anything huge at the moment either, but the rest of the chapter is fine looking, even great at times, so it makes me sad that it has to open so poorly and with Vegete nonetheless, who already got his fair share of shit looking fights in the Black arc
        It's all a matter of preference sure, but I really liked the 2 fights Vegeta had with Black. These were the only fights of his that I consider major but even in lesser action sequences, like stalling against Zamasu in order for Goku to heal or using the Gamma Burst Flash, the art was spot on.
        My Dragon Ball Super 'Canon'