"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Noah » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:17 pm

TheSaiyanGod wrote:
Noah wrote:Man, what the F*** I just read? Like many said before, the reason why Toyotaro was being so rushed with this arc it was because he wanted to get into Broly as fast as possible, but no! He skipped that arc to introduce a new one!

Although I think it's nice for the manga to have an original content, it irks me how ToP was nothing but a schedule for Toyotaro, something that he had to do, even though not willing much, to finally please his fetish of being ahead of the anime for once! He knows of course than when Super comes back it will (unfortunately) retell the events of Broly movie and not get straight to this Galactic whatever thing.
I think it is very strange to say that making such an important decision as to accelerate the development of a saga written by Toriyama only for supposed personal desires comp "being ahead of the anime" is one of Toyotaro's responsibility. I believe he is more of an employee who follows orders than someone to decide these things.
I think you put much faith in Toriyama doing much things as Toyotaro while we know that's not actually true. He might have more involvement with the manga, but his relationship with both medias stay partially the same: both have to adapt his script and I think it's more than evident that Toriyama isn't very specific or detailed with whatever he's giving them. Didn't we even got a producer of Super saying that the ToP arc from Toriyama was barebones?

So yeah, I believe Toyotaro is much free to do his own thing, like rushing an entire arc for his personal desires e.g
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:19 pm

Lukmendes wrote: The dragon balls were able to resurrect those killed by King Piccolo and his sons though, so that's smelling like a dumb retcon.

Anyways, of this new arc, it's weird that galactic patrolmen know about the kaioshin so well, or that they managed to use that gun on Goku and Vegeta, I don't actualy mind some sedative working on them, just that they were dumb enough to let their guards down that much... Couldn't the guy just explain himself instead? Lol
They also revived Kibito after he got smoked by Dabura. Maybe they mean that the Angels can't revive someone killed by a demon, like Whis resurrecting Frieza?

And explanations? Pff. Does that sound like proper Galactic Patrol incompetence to you? :P

GokuDragonBall

Post by GokuDragonBall » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:23 pm

Yeah, I also thought it means that angels can't resurrect those killed by demons, not the DBs.

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:30 pm

Lukmendes wrote:
Rakurai wrote:Really appreciated how 17's quirks were properly used to give U7 the win. Also love his remark of not letting the Zenos getting their way, I've always hated the little pipsqueaks too.
He really says something like that? That's kinda awesome, and suicidal lol.
Even more interesting is the fact that the DBs cannot resurrect those killed by demons. I'm getting Makaishin vibes here and I love it. Also surprised but nice that he showed Jiya here. Toyotarou really knows his shit.
The dragon balls were able to resurrect those killed by King Piccolo and his sons though, so that's smelling like a dumb retcon.

Anyways, of this new arc, it's weird that galactic patrolmen know about the kaioshin so well, or that they managed to use that gun on Goku and Vegeta, I don't actualy mind some sedative working on them, just that they were dumb enough to let their guards down that much... Couldn't the guy just explain himself instead? Lol
He calls them 偉そうなチビ too which roughly means bossy brats. It's just like him to say something like that and I love it.

I checked back at the raws. Macarita actually said that with regards to her powers (which I take to be the Angels), nothing about the DBs. So my bad. Still, the parallel between Angels and Demons is there which I quite like even as a subtle reference.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:38 pm

Rakurai wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: Thats not Jiya
Really? I thought Cipher said he was. I don't know what Jiya looks like so I assumed he just was.
I don't believe that that's Jiya specifically but that's definitely a member of his race. Still a cool to see. :thumbup:

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:40 pm

They are talking about UI, but I don't know what they are saying.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:41 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:
Lukmendes wrote: The dragon balls were able to resurrect those killed by King Piccolo and his sons though, so that's smelling like a dumb retcon.

They also revived Kibito after he got smoked by Dabura. Maybe they mean that the Angels can't revive someone killed by a demon, like Whis resurrecting Frieza?

And explanations? Pff. Does that sound like proper Galactic Patrol incompetence to you? :P
I think that is what they mean since U11 has no Dragon Balls.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:05 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:And explanations? Pff. Does that sound like proper Galactic Patrol incompetence to you? :P
Yeah you're right, I'm shocked he didn't shoot to kill now, maybe that's why he's the nº1 patrolman :p
Rakurai wrote:He calls them 偉そうなチビ too which roughly means bossy brats. It's just like him to say something like that and I love it.
Lol yeah, it's also interesting that the manga isn't trying to make Zeno sound benevolent, which makes 17's annoyance at them so much more justified.
I checked back at the raws. Macarita actually said that with regards to her powers (which I take to be the Angels), nothing about the DBs. So my bad. Still, the parallel between Angels and Demons is there which I quite like even as a subtle reference.
Ah, that's cool then, gives an interesting limitation to an Angel's powers, wonder if that'll come into play eventualy... Most likely won't, but oh well.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:19 pm

Noah wrote: So yeah, I believe Toyotaro is much free to do his own thing, like rushing an entire arc for his personal desires e.g
Because you don’t understand how things work at all. There is no way Toyotaro decided on his own how long the TOP arc is in the manga. That is just not how it works. And this has nothing to do with Toriyama’s involvement or lack of either.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:26 pm

mahakaishin1991 wrote:
Bergamo wrote:
mahakaishin1991 wrote:
I dont know if I'd agree completely. The anime filler makes t quite apparent Buu only became a serious threat to them aftr he absorbed their strongest member, becoming huge buu. After that he turned into fat buu and becomes tamer. Huge Buu was stronger than Super Bu and Kid Buu as proved by comments from Goku and Vegeta, who then proceed to struggle against a lesser for. Goku as a super saiyan 3 and Vegeta as a super saiyan 2 struggling makes it look likely a strong enough foe to need all the kai's at once means they would need to be stronger than the kid buu fight versions of Goku and Vegeta , or have to have something so utterly overpowered that he cant be beaten by raw strength alone.

makes me kind of wish this was Majin Ozotto, using his BS shapeshifting to copy enemy strength but say he can only do it one person at a time and thus loses when he's ganged up on

Id also like to point out Majin Buu was hacked into pieces by Daikaioh and continuously recieved serious injuries in on screen fights he only survives because of his regeneration. He wins a lot of his fights not because of raw power, but because he can BS his way out of dying and just absorb people the moment he is torn to ribbons. He's literally everything I despise about this kind of a villain.

Other than the anime stuff though, we dont see anything in the manga as far as I recall, so its hard to say
Well in the manga Kid Buu is implied to be stronger than or equal to Steroids Buu.
Id like a link to this because Kid Buu was stated to have gotten stronger from turning into Steroids Buu. Kid Buu isn't his strongest form, just his most unpredictable due to the lack of restraint or sanity the other forms gave him due to absorbing people.

Even still, All that does is show that if it needed all the Kai's to take an enemy and Kid Buu beat them in succession, a Buu who was Super Saiyan 3 Goku and ss2 Vegeta level at the same time, plus a spirit bomb, I'd imagine this other person would be on a similar level.
Vol. 26 page 80
Old Kai says that absorbing both South Kai and Grand Kai tamed Kid Buu.

Also, it is never stated that steroids buu is stronger than kid buu.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:30 pm

Lukmendes wrote:
The dragon balls were able to resurrect those killed by King Piccolo and his sons though, so that's smelling like a dumb retcon.

That is a good retcon though because it was pretty much what I always read out of the manga with the whole "those victims are lost" and thought the Piccolo thing wouldcause a plothole, just like Cell's core. So I think here he actually did something good. Even though of course there were other victims of Boo but if it is urgent he could say "those were not lost because they were not killed by a totally demonic Boo" or whatever. Would at least serve as a bit more writing. Who am I kidding though, it will not happen.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:55 pm

Wait sorry for this dumb question, but if the Kaioshin gets extracted from Fat Boo, are we getting Super Boo or Kid Boo?

Boo's transformations regarding absorbing the Kaioshins have always confused me idk why :crazy:

IM21
Banned

Post by IM21 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:57 pm

superfan2024 wrote:Wait sorry for this dumb question, but if the Kaioshin gets extracted from Fat Boo, are we getting Super Boo or Kid Boo?

Boo's transformations regarding absorbing the Kaioshins have always confused me idk why :crazy:
we are getting the one that looks like he's on steroids.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:00 pm

superfan2024 wrote:Wait sorry for this dumb question, but if the Kaioshin gets extracted from Fat Boo, are we getting Super Boo or Kid Boo?

You're getting neither. Super Buu is Buu in his most complete form. Mr. Buu, who is the Buu we have now, was part of Super Buu. Pure/Kid Buu is Buu without Mr. Buu dragging him down, and is currently residing on Earth as Uub.

So if they somehow extract Kaioshin... nothing should be left of Mr. Buu.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:10 pm

TKA wrote:

You're getting neither. Super Buu is Buu in his most complete form. Mr. Buu, who is the Buu we have now, was part of Super Buu. Pure/Kid Buu is Buu without Mr. Buu dragging him down, and is currently residing on Earth as Uub.

So if they somehow extract Kaioshin... nothing should be left of Mr. Buu.
He should still have South Kaioshin, I think. Because where else would he be?

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:25 pm

Kinokima wrote:Because you don’t understand how things work at all. There is no way Toyotaro decided on his own how long the TOP arc is in the manga. That is just not how it works. And this has nothing to do with Toriyama’s involvement or lack of either.
Please, is not like it would make any difference for him to have another chapter on the next few months for this very arc as many thought ToP (manga) would only end by the next year, while I predicted (considering its pace):
Noah wrote:Don't think this arc will pass November, Toyotaro will probably cover the movie by December.
So yes Toyotaro can pretty much decide how long will be each arc according to the how he writes the story, pretty basic stuff actually.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:26 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:
Rakurai wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: Thats not Jiya
Really? I thought Cipher said he was. I don't know what Jiya looks like so I assumed he just was.
I don't believe that that's Jiya specifically but that's definitely a member of his race. Still a cool to see. :thumbup:
Yeah, I was just joking because it's a clear visual homage. They don't actually name him in the chapter.

Re: UI above: It's the conversation they had at the end of the anime about Goku not being able to access it at will.

Re: DBs and Demons: Macarita makes the comment about demons and her abilities as an angel. In contrast, when #17 asks if he can restore the other universes, the Grand Priest comments that there's nothing the Super Dragon Balls can't do.
Last edited by Cipher on Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Liquir
Beyond Newbie

Post by Liquir » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:33 pm

Wait a second.. According to Herms translation Vermouth says he used to be friends with Gichen and afterwards decided to became a God of Destruction. In chapter 29 Vermouth says he has been a God of Destruction for extremely long, as in thousands or millions of years now. So what does that mean for Gitchen's age? Did he also live thousands of years and died recently when Jiren was a child, or does it mean Jiren is extremely old as well?
Can someone explain this better to me?

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:48 pm

Liquir wrote:Wait a second.. According to Herms translation Vermouth says he used to be friends with Gichen and afterwards decided to became a God of Destruction. In chapter 29 Vermouth says he has been a God of Destruction for extremely long, as in thousands or millions of years now. So what does that mean for Gitchen's age? Did he also live thousands of years and died recently when Jiren was a child, or does it mean Jiren is extremely old as well?
Maybe Toyotaro retconned himself

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:53 pm

Liquir wrote:Wait a second.. According to Herms translation Vermouth says he used to be friends with Gichen and afterwards decided to became a God of Destruction. In chapter 29 Vermouth says he has been a God of Destruction for extremely long, as in thousands or millions of years now. So what does that mean for Gitchen's age? Did he also live thousands of years and died recently when Jiren was a child, or does it mean Jiren is extremely old as well?
Characters living for a long time in the Dragon Ball universe is nothing new.

And we know manga Bermod has only been a GoD for about 240,000 years, iirc.