"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cetra
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Cetra » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:50 pm

That Goku does what Popo taught him should be no surprise. The whole "battle" against King Chappa and half of the battle against Tenshinhan was about him posing with what he learned in those 3 years, And he and others never stopped doing that after this.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:22 am

reecehoward wrote:
Miracles wrote:
reecehoward wrote:And you are the one who are constantly twisting what happened and what I said. Prior to whatever Roshi said, Goku was not trying to do UI, or else he'd have been trying the same moves he saw Beerus use. He was trying to power himself up, which is logical because he can't hurt Jiren. He couldn't tap into a great enough power to make any difference. Roshi scolds him for focusing on "plain old fighting strength" and forgetting his teachings. Proceeds to demonstrate pseudo UI. Catches Jiren "off guard" for a flurry of attacks. Jiren proceeds to bypass whatever knowledge Roshi was trying impart on Goku with "plain old fighting strength". You keep saying I'm misreading it, but you've yet to provide an actual counter to what happened.

The video proves several things:

1. Goku can use his fundamentals to move undetected and without wasted movements. Regardless of his power spiking when he does so, this is the fundamental principle of what he was taught, as he's not wasting his energy at all and striking with absolute precision.

2. Goku was able to block two guys attacks while not even looking in either direction. He was completely calm.

3.Goku can dodge.lol

4. If Goku can follow two opponents while suppressed AND raise his speed and power for his offense without killing them...you should be able to figure out who this applies to.
I am not gonna indulge you in your headcannon anymore...

1. The video doesn't prove anything you say cause what you state doesn't match the dialogue. That was a physical feat based on preserving stamina and attacking with high battle power on WEAKER people. Has nothing to do with the spiritual teachings in this chapter of Super about overcoming to a higher level. Show me where that scene was based on Popo's teachings? Where is the dialogue to confirm you? Where is Kamesenin's images or Kami text? Raising battle power when attacking and lowering when idle matches Vegeta and Goku's red and Blue switch technique. Not the teachings of UI.

2. Goku agreed with Hit that there is a transformation beyond Blue. He said it's the ONLY chance he has in beating Jiren. So what was the next level of power the story was telling the audience up until this point? Goku observing Beerus UI, Whis telling Vegeta about UI and Vegeta stating if he'd master that he could take on any opponent, Whis confirms. In this chapter we have Whis CONFIRM Goku's intentions about overcoming the wall but he was going about it the wrong way. Goku falsely thought he could power himself to UI. He needed to be reminded it's not just about power but about spirit as well. So he FINALLY transforms and thanks Roshi for making him "stronger." Goku also agrees with Jiren about there being "NOTHING LEFT ON THE TABLE" FOR HIM, which means he has reached his goal...His transformation.

Again...What was the transformation beyond Blue Goku was aiming for? What did the story talk about up to this point? It was UI! Where is this mysterious transformation other than UI you speak of?No show me in the story where this other random power you keep telling me about that Goku was looking for?
1. Goku literally does what Popo says in that quote.lol You want this Roshi scene to work so bad that you are going to dismiss something this blatant.smh

2. Goku also knew that he needed a new power beyond Super Saiyan back in the Android arc. He didn't know exactly what that form would be. He didn't figure it out until he crossed that line through his training. Same here. He knows he needs something, he doesn't figure out what it is until he sees Roshi.
1. So Goku telling Hit that the transformation being the "only chance at defeating Jiren" is something of uncertainty? You don't make a definite claim and be uncertain about it.
2. What Goku did in that scene was based on battle power...raising it and then lowering it...power...the opposite of what Roshi talked about.

CriticalThinker
Beyond Newbie

Post by CriticalThinker » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:37 pm

Assuming we got three chapters left in this arc I'm gonna take a guess about what I think will happen in each one of them. Next chapter will probably be the end of the Vegeta and Toppo fight as well as the start and end of the fight between Dyspo and 17. Also willing to bet that Toppo will go God and Vegeta will go SSBE and Dyspo will also have his speed mode like he did in the anime. Toppo and Dyspo will probably be knocked out and as for Vegeta I could see him going out in either chapter 40 or in 41. Next chapter, 41, will most likely have Goku going mastered UI against Jiren and that fight taking up most of the chapter. Then in Chapter 42 Similar to the anime Goku won't be able to finish off Jiren with UI and will need Freeza and 17 help to take him out, also will most likely have the wish happen. I won't be surprised though if this ends up being wrong as my previous guesses weren't exactly right either as Toyo has changed things up a lot in his version of the tournament.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:11 pm

CriticalThinker wrote:Assuming we got three chapters left in this arc I'm gonna take a guess about what I think will happen in each one of them. Next chapter will probably be the end of the Vegeta and Toppo fight as well as the start and end of the fight between Dyspo and 17. Also willing to bet that Toppo will go God and Vegeta will go SSBE and Dyspo will also have his speed mode like he did in the anime. Toppo and Dyspo will probably be knocked out and as for Vegeta I could see him going out in either chapter 40 or in 41. Next chapter, 41, will most likely have Goku going mastered UI against Jiren and that fight taking up most of the chapter. Then in Chapter 42 Similar to the anime Goku won't be able to finish off Jiren with UI and will need Freeza and 17 help to take him out, also will most likely have the wish happen. I won't be surprised though if this ends up being wrong as my previous guesses weren't exactly right either as Toyo has changed things up a lot in his version of the tournament.
My bet is just two more chapters, about what’s gonna happen it’s hard to say something different than what happened in the anime ,the record of this manga t.o.p arc doesn’t make my place a bet about this or that , seems like the mayor differences have been already done .
And .. the future of this super manga after t.o.p is on the air, don’t forget about it , next week I hope we will know , it’s about time .
Last edited by prince212 on Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:13 pm

I have a question if anyone cares to answer.

Are chapter revisions done in the volumes?

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:20 pm

Miracles wrote:I have a question if anyone cares to answer.

What do you mean ?
I heard some changes were introduced in Japanese volumes compared to the single chapters , like an extended vegeto vs merge zamas , but those changes are not coming in Viz volumes so far
Last edited by prince212 on Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:21 pm

Art touch ups here and there, and occasionally extra pages are added. I don't think it's been done in the manga thus far, but it's typical for continuity errors to be corrected in volume releases as well.

You can find more comprehensive information here.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:27 pm

prince212 wrote:

What do you mean ?
I heard some changes were introduced in Japanese volumes compared to the single chapters , like an extended editorial vs merge zamas , but those changes are not coming in Viz volumes so far
Oh Ok, nothing major then...Thank you.
TKA wrote:

Art touch ups here and there, and occasionally extra pages are added. I don't think it's been done in the manga thus far, but it's typical for continuity errors to be corrected in volume releases as well.

You can find more comprehensive information here.
Wow, thanks so much.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:19 am

Looks like we are gonna have more information about t.o.p participants. Good :thumbup:

http://vjump.shueisha.co.jp/comic/dbs03/
https://mobile.twitter.com/Herms98/stat ... 9360796672

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:40 pm

Hello everyone, I have a question. Is there an updated image of the DBS manga spine art? I was only able to find this image that goes up to volume 5.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:39 pm

prince212 wrote:Looks like we are gonna have more information about t.o.p participants. Good :thumbup:

Pretty cool.
Hopefully they give some secret tidbits that isn't in either the anime or manga not the same info.

Green_Goblin
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Green_Goblin » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:21 pm

I was so disappointed that we didn't saw all the contestants' eliminations in the Tournament of Power. Here is how I would have depict it:
  • Dr. Rota - Could've been eliminated by Katopesla (at least he'll be good in doing something) before he's able to demonstrate his special ability.
    Narirama - Could've been taken out by Hit and Cabba (instead of Basil who's erased by this point).
    Viara - Could've been taken out by Shosa and Majora using a tactic (instead of Andorids 17 and 18 just spamming ki blasts at him till he "had enough" and defuncts).
    Majora - Will be going down with Viara, as his and Shosa's combined strength are not enough and requires a "sacrifice" to pull the robot out.
    Monna - Could've been taken out by SSJ Caulifla and Botamo.
    Caway - Could've been eliminated by Dr. Paparoni.
    Vikal - Could've been eliminated by Maji-Kayo.
    Lilibeu - Could've been elminated by Kunshi.
    Hermila - Could've been eliminated by Kahseral.
    Nigrisshi - Could've avoided fighting LSSJ Kale by attacking Gohan who'll stomp him off.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:15 pm

Skar wrote:Hello everyone, I have a question. Is there an updated image of the DBS manga spine art? I was only able to find this image that goes up to volume 5.
Hi there , I remember I saw it in one of those video commercial of Shueisha,(the one for vol.6 ) , for some reason I can’t find where they are now , the web is in Japanese... there were videos for all the volumes ..
I just find now one example , a 15 sec video
https://youtu.be/iRPHUZzfdXQ

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:22 pm

Green_Goblin wrote:I was so disappointed that we didn't saw all the contestants' eliminations in the Tournament of Power. Here is how I would have depict it:
  • Dr. Rota - Could've been eliminated by Katopesla (at least he'll be good in doing something) before he's able to demonstrate his special ability.
    Narirama - Could've been taken out by Hit and Cabba (instead of Basil who's erased by this point).
    Viara - Could've been taken out by Shosa and Majora using a tactic (instead of Andorids 17 and 18 just spamming ki blasts at him till he "had enough" and defuncts).
    Majora - Will be going down with Viara, as his and Shosa's combined strength are not enough and requires a "sacrifice" to pull the robot out.
    Nigrisshi - Could've avoided fighting LSSJ Kale by attacking Gohan who'll stomp him off.
Considering I know exactly none of those names that you mentioned, I sure wouldn't be interested in your version.

This is a story, not a simulation. This is all unnecessary stuff that kills the pace.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

Green_Goblin
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Green_Goblin » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:30 pm

TKA wrote:
Green_Goblin wrote:I was so disappointed that we didn't saw all the contestants' eliminations in the Tournament of Power. Here is how I would have depict it:
Considering I know exactly none of those names that you mentioned, I sure wouldn't be interested in your version.

This is a story, not a simulation. This is all unnecessary stuff that kills the pace.
I don't think u r in a position to preach. Anyone. Anything.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:32 am

Green_Goblin wrote: I don't think u r in a position to preach. Anyone. Anything.
Because I don't remember the names of fodder characters that add nothing to the story?

I'm glad the manga didn't devote any time to them because that would've ground things to a halt.

Green_Goblin
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Green_Goblin » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:53 am

TKA wrote:
Green_Goblin wrote: I don't think u r in a position to preach. Anyone. Anything.
Because I don't remember the names of fodder characters that add nothing to the story?

I'm glad the manga didn't devote any time to them because that would've ground things to a halt.
Yup. Sure.
prince212 wrote:Looks like we are gonna have more information about t.o.p participants. Good :thumbup:

I hope it'll be good. It'll be nice to have more flesh to these characters who didn't shined as much as the Saiyans and Universe 7 in general.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:36 am

TKA wrote:

I think that simply raises the question that since those characters added nothing to the story Toyo wanted to tell, why did he include them in the first place, since them existing as a part of the story literally did nothing for the story besides halt it in the screen time they were given?

Rhuagh
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Rhuagh » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:12 am

JazzMazz wrote:
TKA wrote:

I think that simply raises the question that since those characters added nothing to the story Toyo wanted to tell, why did he include them in the first place, since them existing as a part of the story literally did nothing for the story besides halt it in the screen time they were given?
I find it very unlikely that he would have any choice in the matter.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:48 am

JazzMazz wrote:since those characters added nothing to the story Toyo wanted to tell
They added plenty to the story Toyotaro wanted to tell.

In Kale's case, they demonstrated how scary her power was and how it posed a threat to both friend and foe. In Chapter 36's case, they lent to the environment of the tournament and showed how even competent, well-prepared fighters could be instantly eliminated due to something as simple as their own lack of knowledge. They didn't "halt" the story; they were specifically, almost constantly written in service of the arc's more pivotal characters. They had an actual role.

Giving them screen time beyond what they were intended to have would have resulted in the anime's bloat. THAT would have halted the story.