"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by batistabus » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:44 pm

TKA wrote:snip
I agree with every word. I'm sorry to waste a post on this, but I could not have said any of this better myself. Thank you.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:20 pm

I don't know why people aren't praising the manga for it's battle royale feel.
Magetta coming in breaking up team Z's friendship circle, Kurirn being blitzed and ringed out while distracted by that same assault from Magetta, Piccolo getting triple teamed, etc all happening at a fast pace.
I thought that would be important to the fandom since the lack of all out war scenes was complained about in the anime.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:54 pm

I would prefer Yamcha instead of Roshi, close to the Z original team
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:23 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:I would prefer Yamcha instead of Roshi, close to the Z original team
Yamcha would’ve been preferable to Roshi since he’s one of the students that surpassed the old man... but that joke the manga made with them forgetting him was pretty dang good.

I like your sig.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:10 pm

This are pics from chapter 3 and 31.
Manga show us first about a17 wish.
Now I found interesting the fact that super change bulmas birthday location to this cruise that appears in the last anime moments of the series ... I wonder if that was on purpose from scratch or they choose that by the way ...
the truth is that manga was the first one to talk about it ( 4 months ago) , way before the anime ( 2 months ago ) .
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:28 pm

Miracles wrote:I don't know why people aren't praising the manga for it's battle royale feel.
Magetta coming in breaking up team Z's friendship circle, Kurirn being blitzed and ringed out while distracted by that same assault from Magetta, Piccolo getting triple teamed, etc all happening at a fast pace.
I thought that would be important to the fandom since the lack of all out war scenes was complained about in the anime.
As well other characters falling out of the ring from the other side of the ring but if I have one complaint is that the scale of the ring is too small to convey this.
    I'm really surprised that one mentioned that Krillin is the reason for #17 participating and the fact the manga took a huge risk of eliminating two members of U7 this early,I don't see how the manga is playing it safe here.
    Mostly active on discord.

Bergamo
    OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:34 pm

I really hope next chapter gives us more of kale. They hinted at her hidden power, so I'm curious as to how Toyo will handle her character. I'm also hoping to see universe 10 be eliminated. They don't have any interesting fighters, so it wouldn't be too extreme.
    My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

JazzMazz
    I Live Here
    Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:29 am

prince212 wrote:Image

This are pics from chapter 3 and 31.
    Manga show us first about a17 wish.
    Now I found interesting the fact that super change bulmas birthday location to this cruise that appears in the last anime moments of the series ... I wonder if that was on purpose from scratch or they choose that by the way ...
    the truth is that manga was the first one to talk about it ( 4 months ago) , way before the anime ( 2 months ago ) .
    Um, he also mentioned his wish back in 86 or 87, which was like, nearly a year ago.

So no, the manga didn't do it first, nor do I really see the point you were trying to make by saying they did it first.

OLKv3
    I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:37 am

Yeah, the cruiser line is word for word what's used in the anime

Hawk9211
    OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:56 am

When will the next volume release?
    Why power levels are important?
    The genre and roots of dragon ball

prince212
    OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:27 am

JazzMazz wrote:
    prince212 wrote: Now I found interesting the fact that super change bulmas birthday location to this cruise that appears in the last anime moments of the series ... I wonder if that was on purpose from scratch or they choose that by the way ...
    Um, he also mentioned his wish back in 86 or 87, which was like, nearly a year ago.

So no, the manga didn't do it first, nor do I really see the point you were trying to make by saying they did it first.
    My bad , that’s right ... well the point is playing the detective to know if the wish of a cruiser was related to the fact that they change bulmas birthday scenario in super comparing to the movie , and guess if that is a Toriyama , Toei or toyotaro idea , or just a coincidence

TKA
    Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:30 am

prince212 wrote: My bad , that’s right ... well the point is playing the detective to know if the wish of a cruiser was related to the fact that they change bulmas birthday scenario in super comparing to the movie , and guess if that is a Toriyama , Toei or toyotaro idea , or just a coincidence
    Coincidence. We know they don't plan that far ahead and do this by an arc to arc basis.
    The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

ToshioWrites
    Temporarily Banned

Post by ToshioWrites » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:20 pm

This is from Chapter 29 but this aura around goku hand when he tries to punch Toppo, I remember in the Zamasu arc, in mssb when aura came around his hand it was considered an issue by goku and he quickly sealed it inside. The only time mssb goku had an aura around his hand was when he tried to hakai.
    So is goku using regular blue or maybe his lack of training cause his mssb form to mess up. In chapter 32, Viz has goku say he held back ( Herms says it was about dropping his guard) but

jeffbr92
    Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:10 pm

TKA wrote:Yamcha would’ve been preferable to Roshi since he’s one of the students that surpassed the old man... but that joke the manga made with them forgetting him was pretty dang good.
    People complains that Toriyama "hates" Vegeta, but I believe the one the man actually hates is Yamcha and that's since the original manga lol
    Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Lionel
    I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:44 pm

Didn't Toriyama confess to not liking Vegeta sometime back? I think his opinion may have changed, but with respect to everything that's been provided to the character, it seems to have been proven that Toriyama can look past his own dislike and make the most out of someone if he feels compelled enough. Sadly, Yamcha doesn't have the right premise or background to make for an "exciting" proactive character for a lot of fans, I think. He's got his own following, without a doubt, but I question if it's of comparable size to Vegeta's supporters. If you ask me, he and the rest of the core earthling quartet should be given the opportunity to make a comeback like how Freeza was able to achieve. Goku and Vegeta have nothing to lose by returning to, at a minimum, the 23rd tournament/Saiyan arc era ensemble standard. There has been a degree of outcry for other characters to have some possible long term investment beyond just the usual names thrown out like Gohan or the Saiyan kids.

TKA
    Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:38 pm

ToshioWrites wrote:This is from Chapter 29 but this aura around goku hand when he tries to punch Toppo, I remember in the Zamasu arc, in mssb when aura came around his hand it was considered an issue by goku and he quickly sealed it inside. The only time mssb goku had an aura around his hand was when he tried to hakai.
    In the chapter where Goku and Toppo fight, Goku is told to hurry up and end this. He then smirks and declares he's won, and channels his energy into his fist. There's then a panel of Toppo's eye opening (which is meant to show that he's seen an opening, since Goku is how cock and sure he's going to win), and then he hits Goku.

In case the visual storytelling wasn't clear enough, the next time Goku and Toppo talk, Toppo says Goku shouldn't let his guard down in the actual tournament again.
    Lionel wrote:Didn't Toriyama confess to not liking Vegeta sometime back?
    This site has a very useful section about rumors.
    http://www.kanzenshuu.com/rumor/characters/

STATUS: Once upon a time had hints of truth, but these days it seems to be False.

In the second round of the “Akira Toriyama Super Interview” included with the second Daizenshuu guide book in Japan, as a contrast to talking about his favorite characters, original manga author Akira Toriyama tossed out the following tidbit:
    Toriyama wrote:With Vegeta, well, I don’t like him all that much, but he was extremely helpful to have around.
    Alternate translations of this line, along with decades of fan discussion, have warped this into a much harsher “Toriyama Hates Vegeta”, which was/is not necessarily the case. It certainly seemed that Toriyama did not care for Vegeta “all that much” (and to be fair, Vegeta was not a particularly “nice” character…!), but “hate” is an awfully strong word to use here. Indeed, Vegeta was a very convenient character to have around after the Saiyan arc, leading to some incredibly memorable fights during the early chases on Planet Namek, not to mention the ability to introduce even more Saiyans — namely Trunks — into the mix later on.

Perhaps the first hint that Toriyama did not harbor such hard feelings for Vegeta came with Neko Majin Z 3 in 2004, where Vegeta becomes wrapped up in the wacky hijinks of the Neko Majin-verse. Throughout the chapter Vegeta somehow never breaks from character and even resents being used in a gag manga. From this it seemed clear that, if nothing else, Toriyama had come to enjoy using the ever-serious Vegeta as a “straight man” where the comedy itself would play off his determination to maintain his own dignity in the face of humiliation and absurdity.

In this post-Battle of Gods world, the writing appears to be on the wall: in the 2013 film (whose story was penned by Toriyama himself), Vegeta plays a substantial supporting role that is equal parts action and comedy, and is even acknowledged as having briefly surpassed Goku in strength.

Most recently, as a part of the “Super Q&A” within the March 2014 issue of Saikyō Jump in Japan (and more specifically its Episode of Bardock “Super Kanzenban“), Toriyama went on to note:
    Toriyama wrote:As for Vegeta, in the event that there’s talk of another animated film, then next time, I’d like him to play the main role. (Of course, this is nothing more than intentions, and I haven’t decided anything at all.)
    It would be easy to toss out accusations of Toriyama being a “hypocrite” or otherwise flip-flopping on his opinions, but consider the timing and surrounding circumstances. Having taken a well-deserved break after finishing Dragon Ball, Toriyama’s return to the series and its characters so many years later afforded him an opportunity to completely re-evaluate every facet of his creation. Surely it is no surprise to see him find new interest in areas he may have overlooked before!

Lord Beerus
    Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:59 am

prince212
    OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:12 pm

Viz Announcement: Dragon Ball: That Time I Got Reincarnated as Yamcha! releases November 2018.
    Anybody knows if that series is still running or it’s done ?

IM21
    Banned

Post by IM21 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:38 pm

prince212 wrote:Viz Announcement: Dragon Ball: That Time I Got Reincarnated as Yamcha! releases November 2018.
    It's been done for almost a year. It's just 4 chapters + quite a lot of extra pages.

It's great seeing it translated but with Viz you never know how good the translation will be.

I am also still waiting for them to finally release the full Dragon ball 42 volumes with correct translations, but will probably never happen.

prince212
    OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:11 pm

IM21 wrote:
    prince212 wrote:Viz Announcement: Dragon Ball: That Time I Got Reincarnated as Yamcha! releases November 2018.
    It's been done for almost a year. It's just 4 chapters + quite a lot of extra pages.

It's great seeing it translated but with Viz you never know how good the translation will be.

I am also still waiting for them to finally release the full Dragon ball 42 volumes with correct translations, but will probably never happen.
    Thanks , yeap viz is something else ....they have a one year delay releasing super print volumes , it’s too much considering that they offer digital chapters same day as Japan . May be a license rule , but sucks , not to mention that they don’t give us those nice back covers and dust jackets