"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Tai Lung » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:08 pm

Lionel wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:33 am It's interesting to look back and see how often authors recycled material from before. Toyotaro does it a lot but Toriyama shouldn't be exempt from accusation as he's taken shortcuts himself.
I wish Toyotaro/Toriyama would take the time to better exhibit the more complex technical elements of fighting. If Goku and Vegeta are supposed to be "geniuses" in combat then let their fighting styles reflect it. Personally I wouldn't mind seeing more grapple and joint-lock styles get used like Brazilian jiu-jitsu or Hapkido.
I guess it refers to the battle choreography and not a single movement

Kiyoharu

Post by Kiyoharu » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:07 pm

Lionel wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:33 am It's interesting to look back and see how often authors recycled material from before. Toyotaro does it a lot but Toriyama shouldn't be exempt from accusation as he's taken shortcuts himself.
Still better than Toei.

https://youtu.be/KMaMC_Qc3HM
Sometimes I felt like I was watching the same episode over and over again.

Noitsnothim
Regular

Post by Noitsnothim » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:10 am

I don't know why but I'm looking extremely forward to the climatic battle between Vegeta & Moro It feels weird to be excited for Vegeta when he always plays second fiddle but I hope all that finally ends

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:59 am

Noitsnothim wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:10 amI'm looking extremely forward to the climatic battle between Vegeta & Moro It feels weird to be excited for Vegeta when he always plays second fiddle but I hope all that finally ends.
So far the arc has been really good (with a few missteps here and there), so hopefully they can keep the momentum up with the ending. I think fans need to keep an open mind about how the battle will play out though.

None of modern DB's final fights ended with a clean win for the hero. Goku lost to Beerus, Vegeta got blown up by Freeza, Goku surrendered to Hit, Trunks couldn't kill Zamasu, Goku needed help to ring out Jiren , and Shenron saved Broly from Gogeta.

I have no doubt the same will happen with Moro. Vegeta will get the final fight and even beat Moro, but there'll be some catch to ending the fight. Maybe Vegeta learned a new attack that needs charging, requiring Goku to step in and keep Moro away from him. Maybe he can't be killed, leading to Merus or Buu using some sealing technique. I could also be wrong, Vegeta may just final flash him into the sun and that'll be it.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:46 am

Others have already responded, but I wanted to add my two cents as well. There really is only so many fighting moves the human body can produce. what you can do as an artist to switch it up is to change angle, intensity, etc. All of the panels you provided show Toriyama did just that. The problem comes when it's always the same move, possibly even a set of moves, from the same angle with the same outcome. I'm not saying that every single shot that came out of Toriyama's pen was novel, but I think these sort of instances where he repeated things were few and far between.

For the record, I DO think a lot of the time people are harder on Toyotaro than it's warranted.

The Undying
Banned Alternate Account

Post by The Undying » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:58 am

Matches Malone wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:59 am So far the arc has been really good (with a few missteps here and there), so hopefully they can keep the momentum up with the ending. I think fans need to keep an open mind about how the battle will play out though.

None of modern DB's final fights ended with a clean win for the hero. Goku lost to Beerus, Vegeta got blown up by Freeza, Goku surrendered to Hit, Trunks couldn't kill Zamasu, Goku needed help to ring out Jiren , and Shenron saved Broly from Gogeta.
I completely agree.

This isn't going to be some Bleach scenario where Vegeta swoops in and almost instantly saves the day because "he trained a lot". Dragon Ball's resolutions are never so simple. That's just as true for the OG manga, where (for example) the Cell arc explicitly has Gohan fail because his power gets to his head, only learning his lesson and applying it after Goku sacrifices himself, or where the Boo arc literally has everyone and their grandma hurl the kitchen sink in a last ditch cooperative effort to save the universe.

Besides, the story is setting up more than Vegeta's involvement. Merus is too important not to return. There might be more in store for Boo, unless his role was just meant to foreshadow a successful attempt at Kai Kai Matoru. Jaco could contribute. With this many characters involved in the main conflict at some point before, it doesn't make a ton of narrative sense to hand the Saiyans an easy victory.

I guess we'll find out soon. I'd love to see a compelling character arc for Vegeta, but I would be disappointed if this is played as straight as some are proposing.
Formerly Marlowe89.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:06 am

Michsi wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:46 am

Others have already responded, but I wanted to add my two cents as well. There really is only so many fighting moves the human body can produce. what you can do as an artist to switch it up is to change angle, intensity, etc. All of the panels you provided show Toriyama did just that. The problem comes when it's always the same move, possibly even a set of moves, from the same angle with the same outcome. I'm not saying that every single shot that came out of Toriyama's pen was novel, but I think these sort of instances where he repeated things were few and far between.

For the record, I DO think a lot of the time people are harder on Toyotaro than it's warranted.
No it is not. Toyo is doing a monthly manga not weekly like Toriyama completely different. Besides Toriyama is "recycling" the things he came up with originally, meanwhile Toyo is just mimicing existing material.

Toyo is such a creative fraud it is unreal and his writing is equally as bad as his art. He has no creative bone is his body. We just had Resf 2.0 and now he has telegraphed Vegeta's role like an absolute pleb.

Thankfully his shitty manga has no effect on the greater franchise but if it ever does, I will more than likely stop following the franchise.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:01 am

The Undying wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:58 amI'd love to see a compelling character arc for Vegeta, but I would be disappointed if this is played as straight as some are proposing.
I think a lot of fans are going to be disappointed with how things will turn out, as the chances of Vegeta doing everything himself are very low. He'll no doubt be the main fighter, but there will be others, including Goku, contributing something to the overall victory. Fans' reaction will probably be similar to that of his fight with Golden Freeza, resulting in whatever he does being downplayed. He got to beat up Freeza (even more so in the anime), Freeza was on his hands and knees with Vegeta standing proud over him, but instead of celebrating him not only beating a main villain, but Freeza of all villains, they complained about Goku and Whis killing him.

What I'm cirrently interested in is how long we'll have to wait before seeing Vegeta in action. I think there's a good chance his fight won't start until June.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:15 am

Pretty cool cover for Volume 12!
Hoping the best for the rest of this arc. It would be frustrating if Toyotaro dropped the ball now...
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Noitsnothim
Regular

Post by Noitsnothim » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:56 pm

Not gonna lie this could be the most probable outcome

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:04 am

Some pretty decent fakes out there today :lol:

https://twitter.com/dbz412020/status/12 ... 04899?s=21

Noitsnothim
Regular

Post by Noitsnothim » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:12 am

Colored version of DBS Manga releases on April 3rd (Digitally) I am so happy

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:27 am

Noitsnothim wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:12 am Colored version of DBS Manga releases on April 3rd (Digitally) I am so happy
It's such a shame Viz didn't release the rest of the full color volumes.

Dragon Wukong
Regular

Post by Dragon Wukong » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:04 pm

I personally can't wait to see SS Black and his Rose transformation officially in color. I hope Volume 4 comes soon too so we can see Goku's Hakai.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:15 pm

Wish 73 had a better design. He's actually a pretty cool secondary villain, who was defeat in an interesting way.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:12 am

Noitsnothim wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:12 am Colored version of DBS Manga releases on April 3rd (Digitally) I am so happy
Will all the currently relessed volumes also be released in color that day?

Noitsnothim
Regular

Post by Noitsnothim » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:16 am

dbgtFO wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:12 am
Will all the currently relessed volumes also be released in color that day?
Just the first 3 volumes for now (I assume the other volumes will be colored as well)

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:35 am

So there's a bit more info about Volume 12 extras out at this point. I recommend going to this Twitter account to see everything: https://twitter.com/DbsHype

Bonuses include:
-The back cover has an image of Jaco finally seeing that anime movie he was worried about missing (with cameos by Onio and his wife from Neko Majin Z, Monaka, and one of Zuno's disciples)
-There is a 2 page bonus comic of Freeza and his henchmen which I'm guessing might explain his absence from this story
-In-between chapter pages include mug shots of the different Galactic Patrol prisoners. They're a lot of fun

Aside from that, there are a bunch of pages out showcasing the look of the DBS Color manga. I'm not very excited about it (I'm not a fan of the colors or basic approach to coloring of these releases), but I'm glad that it might attract some readers who aren't as excited about manga in the first place.

Liquir
Beyond Newbie

Post by Liquir » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:56 am

Extra pages in Volume 12:
Translation:
https://www.kanzenshuu.com/2020/04/02/d ... a-chapter/
Last edited by Liquir on Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

caire
Not-So-Newbie

Post by caire » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:15 pm

Liquir wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:56 am Extra pages in Volume 12:
Rough translation:
It's good to see this finally be addressed. It was starting to slightly annoy me to see the "WHERE'S FREEZA" every chapter on some forums. Nice to see he's still around and doing well for himself. I know, especially after Broly, that there's been complaints of him becoming a bit of a "joke" villain, but to be honest I've got fonder of him recently as a result of that.