"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Tai Lung » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:56 pm

mute_proxy wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:43 pm
Tai Lung wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:43 am
ankokudaishogun wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:44 am
Nope, he said that might have been the "original form of Saiyans".
He never correlated it to the SUPER Saiyan

However, even if it were the opposite, it does not matter ... because it is obvious that it refers to the SSJ because of the aspect, if no it would not make sense to mention it, the same with cabba
He was talking about the feral, animal like nature of the form Kale possesed. Not the transformation itself. And those subs are wrong
with gohan and trunks who behave wild at different times he said nothing
is talking about the appearance not the personality
ankokudaishogun wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:25 pm
Tai Lung wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:43 am
ankokudaishogun wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:44 am
Nope, he said that might have been the "original form of Saiyans".
He never correlated it to the SUPER Saiyan

Also, I made sure to listen the Japanese spoken: it never says SUUPAA Saiya-jin.
in context nothing changes because vegeta is talking about the aspect

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:49 am

Tai Lung wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:56 pm

Here's some quotes from good old Herms way back when:
Thanks to the magic of ambiguous Japanese phrasing, this could be translated as either "Saiyan's true form" or "Saiyans' true form".
https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/889200046339641345

For that matter, 本来/honrai is more literally translated as "originally/primarily".
https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/889200437542486020

もしかしたら あれは本来のサイヤ人そのものかもしれんのだぞ! Overall, it might be best to translate this as "that could be what the Saiyans were originally like"
https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/889201211693334532

I think the point is he's warning Goku that beserker Kale might be like an old school (ie vicious, brutal) Saiyan.
https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/889201742939701249
I'll take his word on it, since he's a bit more inept in language intricacies or Dragon Ball in general.

ankokudaishogun
Advanced Regular

Post by ankokudaishogun » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:02 pm

I guess you did mean "apt" not "inept" :D

But yeah, most likely he's referring to that.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:31 am

Toyo-tarou took the time to bring back Kibito and the Dai-Kaiou-Shin. I wonder if he will have Nail split from Piccolo to protect Planet Namek again? The Moro arc is a fine time to reintroduce Nail!
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:57 am

ankokudaishogun wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:02 pm I guess you did mean "apt" not "inept" :D

But yeah, most likely he's referring to that.
Ah yes, apt, inept means.. the opposite? :lol:

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:49 am

JulieYBM wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:31 am Toyo-tarou took the time to bring back Kibito and the Dai-Kaiou-Shin. I wonder if he will have Nail split from Piccolo to protect Planet Namek again? The Moro arc is a fine time to reintroduce Nail!
We did get a hint in that direction, with Esca saying that Namkians can fuse but not split, which draws attention to the fact that that's exactly what Piccolo and Kami did. Makes you think that he Kami had outside help in achieving the split. Might be a future plot point ...or might be as relevant as the Namekian Book of Legends.

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:10 am

mute_proxy wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:49 am
Tai Lung wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:56 pm

Here's some quotes from good old Herms way back when:
Thanks to the magic of ambiguous Japanese phrasing, this could be translated as either "Saiyan's true form" or "Saiyans' true form".
https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/889200046339641345

For that matter, 本来/honrai is more literally translated as "originally/primarily".
https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/889200437542486020

もしかしたら あれは本来のサイヤ人そのものかもしれんのだぞ! Overall, it might be best to translate this as "that could be what the Saiyans were originally like"
https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/889201211693334532

I think the point is he's warning Goku that beserker Kale might be like an old school (ie vicious, brutal) Saiyan.
https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/889201742939701249
I'll take his word on it, since he's a bit more inept in language intricacies or Dragon Ball in general.
I will have to agree with Herms there. 本来 is translated more closely to 'original' than 'true.' And Vegeta uses もの to refer to Kale, typically used to indicate a 'person' in context, not 変身 or 姿 or anything that would refer to it as a sort of transformation.

It's more to describe Kale's state of being more than a type of 'Super Saiyan' transformation.

... Although Toyotarou explicitly classifies Berserk Kale as a new type of Saiyan through Frieza.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

Liquir
Beyond Newbie

Post by Liquir » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:06 am

DBS Manga Volume 11 Cover (LQ Versions):

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:50 am

I like the covers, though I wish Goku would not be stuffing his face so aggressively. Also, as someone that doesn't care much about romantic relationships I gotta admit the Bulma/Vegeta in the background is pretty cute!

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:52 am

Michsi wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:50 am I like the covers, though I wish Goku would not be stuffing his face so aggressively. Also, as someone that doesn't care much about romantic relationships I gotta admit the Bulma/Vegeta in the background is pretty cute!
That's what Goku is suppose to do.

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:31 am

There has been a theory circling around, now the we got some spoilers on the upcoming chapters. Out of all the theories I have heard of, it kinda makes the most sense. Not sure if anyone has said anything like this, but what's the possibility of Merus being Whis' son?

Far fetched? Perhaps, like all theories. But, 1st we are in U7. No out-of-universe factors or multiverse factors need to apply. 2nd, Whis is always watching over the universe. Having some sort of proxy going around with the Time Patrol to ensure that he misses nothing is something Whis would do imo. 3rd Merus knows Ultra Instinct. Even Shin didn't know it. To have superior knowledge to a Supreme Kai is something at the very least.

Of course these can work out without Merus being related to Whis, but there would be a missing link. Why choose a random mortal to do this? If it is some sort of hybrid, or even a creation of Whis (still his "son") it work out better.
P O W E R

Oracle
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Oracle » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:40 am

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:29 am

Oracle wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:40 am
Are you sure for the translations? Then, it isn't a surprise. But how does he fit in all this? Hhmmmm
P O W E R

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:21 am

Miracles wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:52 am
Michsi wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:50 am I like the covers, though I wish Goku would not be stuffing his face so aggressively. Also, as someone that doesn't care much about romantic relationships I gotta admit the Bulma/Vegeta in the background is pretty cute!
That's what Goku is suppose to do.
I get that, I know he does this, and does this very often. I wish he wasn't portrayed like this on a otherwise pretty original cover.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:29 am

I like that new cover a lot, but I dislike how Toyotaro colors Goku’s gi with such a reddish color. Why isn’t he using the light orange Toriyama used?
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:23 am

I didn't like the fight. I liked seeing Gohan kick ass, but the fight was too long. No need for the whole giant section. The plot advances ever so slightly

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:52 am

Oracle wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:40 am Merus is an angel...
I just read the chapter... they don't outright explicitly say that Merus is an Angel, however given the context regarding Merus, the topic, and the sense of urgency... I wouldn't be surprised if that ended up to be true.

Also earlier in this chapter, Goku sort of makes a connection between Whis and Merus regarding a specific trait of Angels (hint: it involves the consumption of food)... so... :think:
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

Grand Marshal 1
Advanced Regular

Post by Grand Marshal 1 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:07 am

Rakurai wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:52 am
Oracle wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:40 am Merus is an angel...
I just read the chapter... they don't outright explicitly say that Merus is an Angel, however given the context regarding Merus, the topic, and the sense of urgency... I wouldn't be surprised if that ended up to be true.

Also earlier in this chapter, Goku sort of makes a connection between Whis and Merus regarding a specific trait of Angels (hint: it involves the consumption of food)... so... :think:
Oh I get it, something like:

*munch* *munch*, yo Merus-San, why don't you eat a little faster (or something)? You remind me of Whis-San the way you eat! Hehehe he

Nad reconstruction of a scene lmaooo
P O W E R

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:16 am

Grand Marshal 1 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:07 am
Oh I get it, something like:

*munch* *munch*, yo Merus-San, why don't you eat a little faster (or something)? You remind me of Whis-San the way you eat! Hehehe he

Nad reconstruction of a scene lmaooo
Lol, actually...

Zamasu55

Post by Zamasu55 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:33 am

So Merus is an angel. It was obvious.