"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:06 pm

The techniques shown by the Yardrats in this chapter are defense mechanisms against threats from other planets, as they are physically weak, it doesn't mean that they only know these techniques.
That is, they just use the spirit in the way that suits them best, and we haven't even seen everything that can be done with mastering that kind of Ki. In Vegeta's case, he can control the spirit to suit his fighting style. Anyway, I believe that Vegeta can learn IT and use it more effectively than Goku, would be helpful.

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:34 pm

Why don't they just Mafuba Moro?

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:45 pm

spirit = ki

in theory if that works ... so should the other techniques of goku ... mafuba, hakai, taioken etc
dbgtFO wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:10 pm Merus is Grand Priest in disguise, you saw it here first(or not, who knows).
in fact that theory takes time

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:16 pm

Really loved this chapter. The plot didn't progress much, but that's exactly what I was hoping for. In fact, this chapter met and surpassed my expectations. It gave me what I wanted while throwing in a few surprises I would never have seen coming.

The Yardratian bait totally floored me. I was disappointed when that first image leaked because I hoped Toriyama's DBO designs would be used, but I accepted it because of how established that version of the Yardratians is in the fanbase. This choice is something I don't think Toriyama ever would have done, but it's something that seems to have pleased and shocked everyone. I imagine that people who were completely unaware of the DBO design were surprised in their own way.

The Yardratians thinking Irico is Vegeta was freaking hilarious. Classic Toriyama humor. So stupid. The misunderstanding about Yardratian techniques was a very pleasant surprise.

Though, to be honest, I don't think I understand what Spirit is at this point. Maybe there was something wrong with the translation, or maybe it was intentionally vague. Is it literally ki, or just like ki? Does Goku use ki or Spirit to use Yardratian techniques? Can Moro also absorb Spirit? That seems likely since Goku wasn't able to teleport.

I found the narration pretty amusing. "With no major changes to speak of, time passed unproductive at (Galactic Patrol) HQ". The way that the chapter shifts from scene-to-scene is really well done. I'm surprised with how well everything in the arc is fitting together. A lot of little things get paid off. The nod to Monaka was great.

I'm surprised at how much mileage Toyotaro has gotten out of the Noodle Troop. When looking at the leaks, I was disappointed that Piccolo had blown it, but I like that it was due to his developed mercy. It was cool to see him kick ass for a little bit, anyway. I wonder where the trio will end up imprisoned this time.

I hope we get more from Bulma, Bra, and Satan. Good to see Gohan, Tenshinhan, and Kuririn will join the battle, and that it'll be against enemies they might actually stand a chance against. A little fan service here and there is fine...

The Goku/Merus bit was short but sweet. The pyramid/obelisks make it seem like they're training on the Universe 6 vs Universe 7 Tournament planet, but that was a Super Dragon Ball. Either way, there seems to be an architectural connection there. Merus, without a doubt, has some sort of connection to angels. Is he in training? Is he related? Is he the Grand Priest in a human's body (like Kami in the 23rd Tenka'ichi Budokai)? My best guess based on almost nothing is that he's a son of the Grand Priest who was sent to live among humans as part of his training.

Goku's personality was totally nailed here. That's my guy.

I can't wait to see where this stuff leads.

Noitsnothim
Regular

Post by Noitsnothim » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:34 am

I came up with an idea on how Merus is strong and knows about Ultra Instinct: Merus has the ability 'Divination' and is able to read minds/see the future like Bardock back in 'Bardock The Father of Goku' that's how he knows of Ultra Instinct because he could go inside of Goku's mind see his memories and read his current thoughts

Spirit as the Yardrats call it is possibly a key in what allows a person to utilize Ultra Instinct and it's been hinted at before when Goku first taps into his omen state (Even in Xenoverse 2 when you play as UI Goku when he powers up it's called 'Surging Spirit') Vegeta learning spirit will possibly allow him better use of his new Evolution transformation (I think)

If Merus isn't an angel (then that's fine) But I feel like they will or could bring up why he didn't help the Supreme Kais against Bibidi & Boo or Defeat Freeza because it sure as hell seems like he could (Maybe He spent more than one day in that ROSAT training to eventually go toe to toe with him and Boo) he's totally The Nova (From Marvel) of Dragon Ball

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:20 am

Loved this chapter (for reasons I'm sure many here are aware of :D)

I'm a little apprehensive about this "spirit" thing as far as what technique they are planning to give Vegeta is concerned cuz I sure hope it's not splitting and growing bigger (we've seen these techniques before) Anyway, the introduction of new ways of using ki is neat even though special techniques have existed since early DB - so maybe reintroduction?

Also. props to Toyotaro- well done fight scenes and a seriously well drawn Piccolo. :thumbup:

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:22 am

Loved this chapter, but the points why have already been made by everybody else. One other reason, though, is because it feels like Toyo has utilised the monthly format to a tee with this one. This sorta story being told in a weekly format would seem really broken up, but in this is just worked. He's set the expectations high for the next one, but before I get too hyped I'll wait and see how well he can continue to build off of this one. Honestly gotta say I'm so glad we're just getting actual new stuff in DB after all this time. It's been a long time coming, and now this has set the foundations to build off of really well.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:33 am

I still think he's an angel from one of the destroyed universes. I mean none of the angels had to worry about being destroyed during the tournament of power, so I think the ones that existed for the 6 destroyed universes didn't die either. But it's fun to speculate on who he is as a mystery so that's a cool cliff hanger to leave us on.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:47 am

Ziegander wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:47 pm What about Gohan and the Z Fighters on Earth when Moro arrives in person? Moro doesn't seem to drain any further energy from Goku or Vegeta once they've fallen to their base forms, unless I'm remembering incorrectly, so could Gohan with his "Ultimate" "base" form potentially put up the best fight against the villain we've seen thus far?
Exactly! We could see android 17/18 aswell.

I think that both goku and vegeta will gain a new form/power up at the end of this training. Goku could achive UI at will (maybe the first form) and vegeta the UI or something else.
Maybe the UI is linked to this "spirit stuff", so they could use different roads for the same goal.

Block88
Beyond Newbie

Post by Block88 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:08 am

Gt91 wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:47 am
Ziegander wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:47 pm What about Gohan and the Z Fighters on Earth when Moro arrives in person? Moro doesn't seem to drain any further energy from Goku or Vegeta once they've fallen to their base forms, unless I'm remembering incorrectly, so could Gohan with his "Ultimate" "base" form potentially put up the best fight against the villain we've seen thus far?
Exactly! We could see android 17/18 aswell.

I think that both goku and vegeta will gain a new form/power up at the end of this training. Goku could achive UI at will (maybe the first form) and vegeta the UI or something else.
Maybe the UI is linked to this "spirit stuff", so they could use different roads for the same goal.
It stated numeroustines vegeta has no interest in UI so that’s not happening
Goku is trying to make UI usable as a daily bases not only in desperate situations.
The main point for vegeta in this arc is trying to counter Moro absorbtion abilities

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:33 pm

Like a lot of ppl, I actually enjoyed this month's chapter as well. The build-up towards Moro wasn't in good taste for me and I'm still neutral or apathetic about his character but I see a lot of potential for him to become the biggest threat they've ever faced in U7, which I dig. The focus on the side characters doesn't really appeal to me in general since they've been sidelined and trolled so many times, but now that there's a legitimate threat then maybe this is their time to shine. Can we get teen Goten and Trunks reveals please?

I ABSOLUTELY loved the two Yardrat species reveal. I knew Toyotarou wasn't going to ignore Toriyama's design but I wasn't sure what he was going to do with the Toei one either. I thought maybe he would just keep that as the U2 Yardrat. And the spirit control seems pretty interesting although I feel techniques like the multiplication and gigantification would feel very comedic on a warrior like Vegeta. Maybe he'll learn magic this way.

Last thing to note which I think nobody has pointed out, I really dig Merus using a pole as his choice of weapon when training with Goku. Really reminds me of the days when Goku used his power pole. Would it be possible that Goku will get to show off some of his old pole skills against Merus?
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:03 pm

batistabus wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:16 pmThough, to be honest, I don't think I understand what Spirit is at this point. Maybe there was something wrong with the translation, or maybe it was intentionally vague. Is it literally ki, or just like ki? Does Goku use ki or Spirit to use Yardratian techniques? Can Moro also absorb Spirit? That seems likely since Goku wasn't able to teleport.
Ki is literally spirit. The Yardrats just had another name for Ki, Spirit.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:43 pm

TobyS wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:18 am
mute_proxy wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:00 am The manga is so much the official continuity, that it took them 4 years to announce any merch (figures) to represent it :wave:
Because the manga readers don't buy as many children's dolls?

Merch is made based on predicted sales, not as a confirmation of canonness.

Also most designs are identical so they don't need explicitly manga labelled merch it'd be pointless.
a) Pretty much all merch is aimed at adults now, literally the only regular merch Bandai aim at kids are chibi stickers, despite SDBH being aimed at kids even merch for that isn't aimed at them!

b) Bandai admitted in a blog post that SSG Vegeta took merch priority over SSG Goku for Broly because it was SSG Vegeta's first appearance of the anime.

c) As above Toyotaro made Vegeta SSG a thing but it wasn't even marketed or even touched upon until it made it's appearance in anime form, Toyotaro also made SSG Goku stay relevant but since Toei didn't use it until the last arc Bandai considered the form dead and wasn't until Broly where they begun to market the form again. Toyotaro also gave SS Goku Black, which got absolutely zilch.

It's quite clear what they consider "main canon" when it comes to modern DB. With Toriyama coming up with all these colourful forms and designs it's quite clear he is writing for anime not the manga.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:15 pm

I assume Moro's minions are going to fighting Piccolo and the rest next chapter but who thinks the 10 will be defeated by Piccolo and gang or Goku and Vegeta coming in to have a pointless warm up before fighting Moro again?

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:32 pm

This was a neat buildup chapter.

I've definitely enjoyed the worldbuilding part with the Yardrats and the spirit part show some promise but I hope Vegeta getting something more than turning big and splitting since many characters already done that.

Even if it's fodder, I'm all for some Piccolo action, I want to see more of him.

Also wouldn't mind for Gohan, Krillin and Tien action.
Mostly active on discord.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:08 pm

For a story arc that people seem pretty convinced Toriyama has little involvement in, Toriyama's favorite character sure did just get added to the story semi-randomly.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Noitsnothim
Regular

Post by Noitsnothim » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:10 pm

You know It'd be really messed up if in the next chapter we find out Merus is in cahoots with Moro & actually helped free him & what's more he ends up leaving Goku in a beat up state to then be able to trap him inside the ROSAT and destroy the entrance from the outside

This has been done before in Dragon Ball but Goku's never been trapped in it himself (I think) I think a twist done like this would really shake things up and worsen the situation for Vegeta & Everyone else

cause let's be real I think Merus could've easily taken out Moro but chose not to

PTOldMan

Post by PTOldMan » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:51 pm

I hope Yamcha comes back too! He's surely strong enough to fight some of those guys, right?
If this gets expanded in the anime I really hope to see everybody fighting, Chiaotzu included.
Due to Dokkan Battle I rewatched the Androids/Cell Saga and it was so refreshing to have such a big cast, with a lot of them getting some spotlight.
The next chapter seems promising.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:59 pm

When Earth's forces face off against Moro's B Team, do you think they'll do the battle simultaneously (like in Resurrection F) or one at a time (like the Saiyan arc)? I automatically assumed they would go with the RoF style, but it'd be a fun throwback to take it the other direction. Or maybe it'll have more teamwork like the ToP.
Noitsnothim wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:10 pm You know It'd be really messed up if in the next chapter we find out Merus is in cahoots with Moro & actually helped free him & what's more he ends up leaving Goku in a beat up state to then be able to trap him inside the ROSAT and destroy the entrance from the outside

This has been done before in Dragon Ball but Goku's never been trapped in it himself (I think) I think a twist done like this would really shake things up and worsen the situation for Vegeta & Everyone else

cause let's be real I think Merus could've easily taken out Moro but chose not to
I would lose my shit. I'm not saying I want it, but that would be shocking.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:09 am

PremiumSalt wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:08 pm For a story arc that people seem pretty convinced Toriyama has little involvement in, Toriyama's favorite character sure did just get added to the story semi-randomly.
It's not really random at all. With the Namekians being wiped out and Moro's gang setting their eyes on Earth it makes sense Piccolo'd get a little bit of focus. Gohan &co will surely get added too in the following chapters. My guess is it's the old formula of the side characters facing off against the antagonist while Goku trains and then will appear with an awesome new power at the end (with Vegeta thrown in the mix somehow) I mean I hope not, since ROF did the exact same thing, but that's what I suspecting for now.