"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

alakazam^
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by alakazam^ » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:44 pm

I'm curious to see how Toyotarou will draw Goku Black in a few chapters, giving the spoilers we now know.

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:43 pm

LightBing wrote:
Chelentano wrote:
LightBing wrote:Can we please stop including the whole fan-base into personal opinions?

The Pilaf Gang inclusion is explained in the interview I posted before. In the original script they were some random thief's, would people have actually preferred that to bringing back characters which fit the role? Or maybe force another character(s) into the role, just for fan-service?

I personally loved their role in the BoG movie, it was very funny and didn't get in the way of the flow of the movie. In the BoG arc it was mostly bad. More recently it has been hit and miss.
I feel like many people dislike the Pilaf Gang since it undermines the serious moments and appears forced into the show. Honestly, the dislike is misdirected because of weak writing. Remember the RoF arc, there was no Pilaf Gang so people were ganging up on Jaco.
I defend the existence of comic-relief characters, even in dark arcs like this one. Execution is key.

Back on topic, does anyone have a page count from every chapter? The last one had 39 pages. It would be interesting to track the growth of the manga.
16 (one in color) - 15 - 15 - 19 - 20 (one in color) - 19 - 19 - 19 - 31 - 31 - 21 - 31 - 38 (one double) - 39.
Thank you!
We went from about 15 pages to 19/20, then at the Botamo vs Goku fight we had a big jump to 31. Vegeta vs Magetta was only 21 for some reason. Hit vs Goku saw another jump to what we currently are experiencing.
I wonder what's the limit for a monthly publication.
I wish he could do a bi-monthly publication with the manga. I think he could pull it off at this point if he's doing almost 40 pages+ now.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:00 pm

alakazam^ wrote:I'm curious to see how Toyotarou will draw Goku Black in a few chapters, giving the spoilers we now know.
I don't know so please don't let me know!

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:27 pm

sangofe wrote:
alakazam^ wrote:I'm curious to see how Toyotarou will draw Goku Black in a few chapters, giving the spoilers we now know.
I don't know so please don't let me know!
It'd be best not to come to this thread, It's literally everywhere like one page back and we can't spoiler tag everything because it turns into a mess of things. Just giving you a heads up :)

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:31 pm

Xeztin wrote:It'd be best not to come to this thread, It's literally everywhere like one page back and we can't spoiler tag everything because it turns into a mess of things. Just giving you a heads up :)
While I agree with the sentiment, this is the thread for Toyotaro's manga adaptation. The surprise has yet to be brought up here in any explicit manner. It's safe, for now...
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:11 pm

Xeztin wrote:I wish he could do a bi-monthly publication with the manga. I think he could pull it off at this point if he's doing almost 40 pages+ now.
The magazine is monthly, I don't see that happening. A page count increase is probably the best we can hope for.

samuo2
Not-So-Newbie

Post by samuo2 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:17 pm

I think he's fucked up.

I see you all say that Toyotao will probably be bi-month published but yeah, it's been, well, one year we're all hoping that, I think that at this point this will just never happened.

As said LightBing, more pages is the most probable.
Last edited by samuo2 on Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
English isn't my native Language, please be understanding with faults and other grammatical mistakes, and don't hesitate to correct me !

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:20 pm

sangofe wrote:I don't know so please don't let me know!
Sure, that's why I wasn't specific about it :P

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:28 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
Xeztin wrote:It'd be best not to come to this thread, It's literally everywhere like one page back and we can't spoiler tag everything because it turns into a mess of things. Just giving you a heads up :)
While I agree with the sentiment, this is the thread for Toyotaro's manga adaptation. The surprise has yet to be brought up here in any explicit manner. It's safe, for now...
Ah! The thread title changes threw me off, was thinking this was the regular announcement thread when I wrote that.

Neon Z
Advanced Regular

Post by Neon Z » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:03 pm

Xeztin wrote:I wish he could do a bi-monthly publication with the manga. I think he could pull it off at this point if he's doing almost 40 pages+ now.
Isn't the magazine itself monthly though? I don't think they can't just change the manga's periodicity like that.

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:27 pm

Neon Z wrote:
Isn't the magazine itself monthly though? I don't think they can't just change the manga's periodicity like that.
What I mean is putting it in weekly jump, Boruto is in weekly jump but only appears once a month. I think they could do Bi-monthly too, I'm almost positive manga has switched magazines before especially under the same company. (Weekly Jump, V-Jump)

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:42 pm

Viz has Chapter 4 up now.

So I guess they're planning to put one out every two weeks. At that rate they should be caught up by...May of next year, I think?

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:00 pm

Assuming nothing unexpected happens, like manga being cancelled in Japan or Viz dropping the free chapters. Then yeah, they should be caught up right around there.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:50 am

Maybe I'm missing something, but does anybody else find it odd that there hasn't been a translated version released for the latest chapter as of yet?

Abel Taylor
Beyond Newbie

Post by Abel Taylor » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:21 am

Duo wrote:Maybe I'm missing something, but does anybody else find it odd that there hasn't been a translated version released for the latest chapter as of yet?
Herms said he probably won't have time, and others probably don'r care since it's just a repeat of the anime. That said, it'll definitely be translated by Viz at some point, and as a plus, it'll be fully legal, so there's no chance of it ever being compromised because of some piracy bust.
Hi! My name's Abel, and I'm pretty awesome.
VegettoEX wrote: Abel is pretty awesome.
SaiyaJedi wrote: Abel is the best contributor to this forum ever! He's the true Julian #1
Herms wrote: Abel is so awesome that I forgot how to speak Japanese.

Derf

Post by Derf » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:17 pm

Been eagerly checking MangaStream for a translation almost daily. Hopefully they aren't dropping it...

Chelentano
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Chelentano » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:09 pm

Derf wrote:Been eagerly checking MangaStream for a translation almost daily. Hopefully they aren't dropping it...
It's out now!
Steam profile: psn_chelentano
Xenoverse 2 characters: Rugal (female Saiyan), Salacadula (male Majin), Sleet (Freezer race)

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:38 pm

We got some supplemented info that we didn't get in the anime. Goku Black is indeed somehow related to the warriors of earth. Due to him being able to sense ki and with the explanation of the parallel worlds. Could that mean Black is actually Goku? Did anything happen to Goku within any of the timelines in Dragonball?

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:01 pm

Miracles wrote:We got some supplemented info that we didn't get in the anime. Goku Black is indeed somehow related to the warriors of earth. Due to him being able to sense ki and with the explanation of the parallel worlds. Could that mean Black is actually Goku? Did anything happen to Goku within any of the timelines in Dragonball?
Can you expand a bit in the supplemented info? I mean not word for word obviously or the entire thing but was anything specifically interesting said?

Reading now. I love love love it confirmed my theory that Black couldn't sense Ki at all at first...everyone basically told me I was wrong/stupid for thinking that. (Not everyone, some were civil and debated)
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:21 pm

Miracles wrote:We got some supplemented info that we didn't get in the anime. Goku Black is indeed somehow related to the warriors of earth. Due to him being able to sense ki and with the explanation of the parallel worlds. Could that mean Black is actually Goku? Did anything happen to Goku within any of the timelines in Dragonball?
The parallel worlds info is more important for Trunks, in re-explaining why his world/timeline/dimension/whatever exists and is different from what we know in the main timeline.

You might also be taking the ki sensing thing a little too literally. Black learned to sense ki, like when Vegeta picked up that "Earthling ability" during Saiyan to Namek Arcs. It doesn't really mean Black is related to the warriors of Earth any more than Vegeta was at the time, he simply learned to do what they were capable of during his time on the planet.