"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Xeogran
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Xeogran » Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:46 pm

capsulecorp wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:37 pm and the anime was a failed experiment.
I doubt the millions it brought behind TVs and crashing Internet streaming websites with no survivors counts as failed experiment.

Ultra Instinct would be nowhere near as hype without the anime. It doesn't exist in the movies (so far) and in the manga it isn't even half as hype. And I'm talking about hype because it generates profits for merch, videogames and other things.

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:14 pm

Xeogran wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:46 pm
capsulecorp wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:37 pm and the anime was a failed experiment.
I doubt the millions it brought behind TVs and crashing Internet streaming websites with no survivors counts as failed experiment.

Ultra Instinct would be nowhere near as hype without the anime. It doesn't exist in the movies (so far) and in the manga it isn't even half as hype. And I'm talking about hype because it generates profits for merch, videogames and other things.
I guess to be clear, I meant it failed creatively. I'm sure it was profitable, given how cheap most of it seemed! But, as one of those millions that tuned in weekly, I don't have much desire to return to it, especially after how disappointing the TOP ended up being... and since I'm not a Toei stockholder, I don't really care about how much money they made.

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:56 am

https://dragon-ball-official.com/news/01_1283.html

New Toyo interview where he answers submitted questions about Granolah arc, like how strong Granolah and Gas were pre-wish (almost as strong as Avo & Kado fused).

Geraldo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Geraldo » Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:48 pm

Shorty GZ2 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:56 am https://dragon-ball-official.com/news/01_1283.html

New Toyo interview where he answers submitted questions about Granolah arc, like how strong Granolah and Gas were pre-wish (almost as strong as Avo & Kado fused).
Ginyu is by definition Frieza's strongest man. Hence, Ava is below him in sheer power. The two of them shouldn't be above the flamboyant Ginyu Force who are anywhere between 40,000-50,000. Also, till Toriyama won't approve, Toyotaro's statement is as valid as Golden Frieza's (100 sextillion, was it?) BP by Resurrection 'F'-'s director.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:59 pm

Geraldo wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:48 pm Ginyu is by definition Frieza's strongest man.
He was back on Namek, but Gas and Granolah had all the time afterwards to train and surpass him. I don't see anything strange about that. It's not like he was comparing hypothetical Namek arc Gas/Granolah to Ginyu. Only modern day versions of them.

Geraldo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Geraldo » Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:09 pm

Xeogran wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:59 pm
Geraldo wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:48 pm Ginyu is by definition Frieza's strongest man.
He was back on Namek, but Gas and Granolah had all the time afterwards to train and surpass him. I don't see anything strange about that. It's not like he was comparing hypothetical Namek arc Gas/Granolah to Ginyu. Only modern day versions of them.
Nothing indicates them to be even that powerful. Toyotaro begins with saying: "oh, they're stronger than Nappa" and from there throws in the Ginyu Force as if they were all Guldo-tier.

The feats of Granolah would be doubtfully taken at 20,000; Gas? I can't give him more than 50,000. And considering how the Heeters never usurped the Frieza Force after Sorbet took over about 2 decades ago (who did he had as muscles? Tagoma and Shisami? The two of them are at 45,000 combined), it just makes Toyotaro's statement look like a bad afterthought.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:08 pm

I don't know if "surprising" or "kinda interesting" best describe this interview. I mean, they actually remember Tarble OVA. But still no mention, or even an allusion to its events whatsoever in the manga so far.

Granolah is about ten years old by the time the assault happens. That would mean he was born around in AGE 727, and that would mean he is about fifty four years old now. I'm gonna scratch all the "about" and "around" and make this the real deal. Surprisingly enough, his age revelation doesn't bring any issues. Although I can see now why Toyotaro messed it up by saying the Saiyans attacked Cereal "fifty years ago", he was confusing that with Granolah's age.

I'm on the "knew it!" vibe in regards to Granolah's father, the first thing I thought when I looked at that character was "I think he's Granolah's father". Glad to know Toyotaro thinks the same. We don't need Toriyama's confirmation for that, unless he intends on doing something or revealing the character's actual father later on (which I doubt he will, so...).
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:37 pm

Gas was on par with the elites of the Freeza force. A pretty generic statement that I had assumed anyway.

Toyotaro imagined that Flake was Granolah's father when drawing that scene. I think this is an interesting insight into the artistic process. Even though Toyotaro says that isn't necessarily part of the story ("canon") and acknowledges it might change in the future, it helped him visualize/put more passion into the scene, and it fits with the familial theme of the arc. And even if Flake isn't his actual father, you could think of him metaphorically as a Granolah's father figure (uncle, respected community member, etc.).

I like how Toyotaro emphasized the comedy of DBS:SH, especially how well the action and comedy were blended at certain parts of the film. The DBS manga used to be a lot sillier early in its run, but even then, the comedic timing was never as good as Toriyama's (an impossibly high standard) and the tone of those early arcs was largely unserious. I hope Toyotaro is able to take what he learned from the movie into the next arc, especially since I consider the lack of humor to be my biggest gripe with the Granolah arc.

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:48 pm

Geraldo wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:48 pm
Shorty GZ2 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:56 am https://dragon-ball-official.com/news/01_1283.html

Ginyu is by definition Frieza's strongest man. Hence, Ava is below him in sheer power. The two of them shouldn't be above the flamboyant Ginyu Force who are anywhere between 40,000-50,000. Also, till Toriyama won't approve, Toyotaro's statement is as valid as Golden Frieza's (100 sextillion, was it?) BP by Resurrection 'F'-'s director.
Alright, correction on the Eng subs, they say pre-wish Granolah and Gas in the present were stronger than Nappa and Ginyu Force, on the level of Avo and Kado firmly pre-fusion (who were noted by Tarble to be as strong as (First Form) Freeza). Post-fusion Aka was tanking hits from SS Gotenks who was going toe-to-toe with Super Boo, so the subs mistake made a big difference.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:13 pm

Isn't there suppose to be another interview?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:19 pm

Miracles wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:13 pm Isn't there suppose to be another interview?
Next week; it's stated at the end of the video. (This one hasn't even been up a full day yet!)
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:57 am

The Avo & Kado comparison does seem an afterthought, but Napa was mentioned by Uchida, Toyo simply confirmed it; what he brought up was the Ginyu Force with a "probably". He did said that they started weaker than Goku and Vegeta. Given that they have both been training all these years to beat Freeza, and they were kind of confident in themselves, around Ginyu sounds fine.

Also, as someone who doesn't like that they adopted SSBe in the manga, it was a satisfactory surprise to see how they think of it. And is nice to hear Toyo talking about learning from Superhero.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:48 pm

Toyo sounds like he is just there to draw, he is not even sure Flake is Granny's father. It seemed that way to him when drawing him but without Tori's approval he cannot be too sure. Nevertheless, if something sucks about this arc, he gets the ticket.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:51 pm

Dragon Ball Super Volume 19 Back Cover:

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:10 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:51 pm Dragon Ball Super Volume 19 Back Cover:
Damn, that's great too!
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:28 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:19 pm
Miracles wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:13 pm Isn't there suppose to be another interview?
Next week; it's stated at the end of the video. (This one hasn't even been up a full day yet!)
OK. I'll look out for it.

After watching the interview, Toyotaro doesn't even have the liberty to say who is Granolah's father. He imagined it being Flake [Cerelaian who blew up the moon] but Toriyama may have someone else in mind.

nineko
Beyond Newbie

Post by nineko » Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:24 pm

Nice back cover, and in theme with the front one, too. Now I really wish they could find a way to let Bardok meet his family.

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:33 pm

Super Hero Gohan family w/ Saiyan arc Son Family back cover is dope

EGonzo
Beyond Newbie

Post by EGonzo » Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:11 pm

Damn, that's the best cover he's done by far, I'm just in love with it

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:45 pm

Flawless back cover!
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.