"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Trouser » Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:43 am

Toyotarou is great if it comes to making covers/art with one/few characters on it. Not so much when it comes to writing and drawing battle scenes...
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

Alkiser
Beyond Newbie

Post by Alkiser » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:47 am

Trouser wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:43 am Toyotarou is great if it comes to making covers/art with one/few characters on it. Not so much when it comes to writing and drawing battle scenes...
Akurat's fight scenes work very well for him, if I had to think of bad fight scenes I would go back to AF Young jijie. Because with him every fight looks the same

- They are fighting
-posture is driven into the ground and creates a crater
- there is a beam struggle that often ends in a draw
-an even bigger crater
-Ended with a Dragon fist or something alluding to
- biggest crater

And still the pistats sweeten each other during the battle how amazing they are

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:59 pm

For a new villain, I want another natural character. I always had a idea of the original Earth God (the one who existed before Kami) coming back to Earth and is upset on how the Earth has changed since they have leave the Earth. A Garuda design would be interesting to see for a DB character too.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:55 pm

So the leak about having a new horror-like arc was fake, right? Will we get another arc after this whole Granola snorefest or not?
Heard another rumor that Toriyama son might be involved this time, but that's probably fake too.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:26 am

Noah wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:55 pm So the leak about having a new horror-like arc was fake, right? Will we get another arc after this whole Granola snorefest or not?
Heard another rumor that Toriyama son might be involved this time, but that's probably fake too.
The Toriyama son thing is true but that's understood to be more in terms of managing his estate then having creative decisions.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:36 am

Toyotaro Q&A part two is up.

He says"Black haired UI" Goku is mostly being Goku just improving more with UI. Toyo said Whis is always in UI, and his emotions aren't repressed. So Goku is just getting better at it, to the point where he can use it naturally. The goal is for him to always be in UI, even when sleeping, just like Whis is.
Toyotaro says the Silver hair form changes his power and personality, and that's not normal for UI.

Alkiser
Beyond Newbie

Post by Alkiser » Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:00 am

OLKv3 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:36 am Toyotaro Q&A part two is up.

He says"Black haired UI" Goku is mostly being Goku just improving more with UI. Toyo said Whis is always in UI, and his emotions aren't repressed. So Goku is just getting better at it, to the point where he can use it naturally. The goal is for him to always be in UI, even when sleeping, just like Whis is.
Toyotaro says the Silver hair form changes his power and personality, and that's not normal for UI.
Goku should embrace Ultra Instinct to the point where he can unknowingly catch a fly flying over his face in his sleep.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:27 pm

Cool. So we already knew Goku chose the black haired transformation since it allows him to be more of himself [use emotions no hindrances]. Compared to the Silver Haired form where he turns off his emotions.

Black haired UI shows Goku is getting use to the technique and therefore can use it more freely [naturally]. The Silver Haired is "not normal," since Whis can use UI without any transformation. This is the goal for Goku; to always be in the UI state [CH. 71] and using it in black haired mode is proof Goku is getting closer to that level.

I guess that's why Toyotaro also had literally base Goku in some scenes in the last chapter? To show that Goku is using UI in normal mode too.

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:08 pm

OLKv3 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:36 am Toyo said Whis is always in UI
And without a transformation. (I know it was pretty clear, but I remember seeing at least someone insist on that angels were always transformed in Goku's MnG form, and others even expand this to WnG and hakaishins)

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:17 pm

Well, called that "True UI" was just Goku getting better with UI and not a completely separate form lol
It was pretty clear from the previous chapter when Goku had UI with his base form hair & no aura and when he was using UI Sign with highlights in his hair & an aura around him, but good for clarification to those who didn't realise it then.

Anyway, rest of the new Toyo interview, he talks about using books with lot of muscle illustrations, figures, & selfies to help him draw muscles and poses. Says he tends to specially focus on muscles during climax panels, but most of the time he wings it (lol), and how he tries to differentiate Goku & Vegeta's muscles depending on their different sizes (though generally the same during fights) & forms (like SSG & Ultra Ego). Then Toyo free-style draws a Goku on video while explaining how to draw muscles.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:35 pm

Finally, I always thought that Goku transforming for UI was weird when Whis and other angels don't.
Still don't get much of the transformations in Super except for Super Saiyan.
At least, this manga canon for UI is halfway satisfactory for me.
Not a fan of Saiyan basically changing looks with anything besides classis SSJ (or SSJs with God Ki).

Not a fan of Beast Gohan and other weird ass-pulls. But I like Orange Piccolo :lol:
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:03 pm

I'm surprised Toyo is so wary of claiming such simple things without confirmation from Toriyama (Granolah's father or the name of Gas's transformations). After ToP, the feeling is that his ideas started to come out more, but he probably feels the need to check everything with Toriyama nonetheless. It really shows that he doesn't have that much freedom, at least not to make big changes on his own.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:36 am

TheSaiyanGod wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:03 pm I'm surprised Toyo is so wary of claiming such simple things without confirmation from Toriyama (Granolah's father or the name of Gas's transformations). After ToP, the feeling is that his ideas started to come out more, but he probably feels the need to check everything with Toriyama nonetheless. It really shows that he doesn't have that much freedom, at least not to make big changes on his own.
Maybe he already did, we have no idea how they work behind the scenes. We can asume, that they probably have some background materials and info and sketches, that they already agree on beforehand with some juice that didn't spill into the manga, like some extra info.

Seriously doubt that Toyo draws whatever is on his mind at the moment and then sends it for approval.

We can only speculate, but seriously it's not like manga is the 100% what gets out from their tables and it's not like Toyo is getting questions that he has to run through Toriyama first like "Sensei, I got asked about Granolah's father, what should I answer?".
I believe that they have these things written down beforehand, because it is usually how it is in creative process.

Even to this day, people asume that Toriyama just came up with whatever and put it on the page, mostly during Buu arc.
But that is not entirely true. When you design something, be it a story or character, you have to at least do some basic research:
What is the background of the character, it's traits, that motivates him and how he behaves. Why such clothes, items (what is their function).
I guess that thanks to Toriyama's background in advertising agency and studying creative design, he can do simple designs both character and story wise that work so strong. Like having the potara earrings work as means to fusion could be taken as an afterthought:
Hey, these guys wear these earrings, it can work as fusion... which is quite oversimplificated.
You have designs for earrings, that are basically just earrings and then you get function and story for them, background for the elder Kaioshin, fusing the Kaioshin and Kibito etc. that is ingenious. Same with him coming up with the transformations for villains or the whole concept for Buu.
It's genius. One of the known and well described concept of his was Piccolo... he had no idea at first that he might be from outer space, but the idea sparked maybe around the time he introduced the God and them talking on tenkaichi budokai in the not yet specified "namekian".

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:40 am

MCDaveG wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:36 am You have designs for earrings, that are basically just earrings and then you get function and story for them, background for the elder Kaioshin
I think Fusion Dance was supposed to be the only Fusion method originally, but since Movie 12 used Gogeta (who was originally supposed to appear against Buu), then Toriyama had to improvise to find another way, and luckily he noticed the Potara Earrings and made them work as such.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:22 am

Xeogran wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:40 am
MCDaveG wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:36 am You have designs for earrings, that are basically just earrings and then you get function and story for them, background for the elder Kaioshin
I think Fusion Dance was supposed to be the only Fusion method originally, but since Movie 12 used Gogeta (who was originally supposed to appear against Buu), then Toriyama had to improvise to find another way, and luckily he noticed the Potara Earrings and made them work as such.
Yep, it was, that's why I pointed it out as one example his improvisation and design genius.

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:16 pm

Apparently, https://twitter.com/DbsHype/status/1557925561124601856:
DBS Vol.19 sold 117,191 copies in first 4 days of its release (Aug 4th to 7th) and ranked 3rd on Oricon weekly volumes chart! (behind Jujutsu Kaisen and One Piece)

DBS as a series sold 134,246 copies from Aug 1st to 7th and ranked 6th on Oricon weekly series chart!

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:51 pm

He refuses to die

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:53 pm

OLKv3 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:51 pm He refuses to die
Nah, the title of the chapter is "The Greatest Warrior in the Universe Revealed", and we know it's not Gas (he is also KO'd at the moment)

It may be someone else

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:05 pm

Shorty GZ2 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:53 pm
Nah, the title of the chapter is "The Greatest Warrior in the Universe Revealed", and we know it's not Gas (he is also KO'd at the moment)

It may be someone else
Gas is most definitely the one who shot Monaito. He was left alive, Elec was about to reveal the terms of his wish, and nobody sensed it. He pulled a Piccolo/Freeza/Cell and got off a sneak attack

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:17 pm

OLKv3 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:05 pm
Shorty GZ2 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:53 pm

It may be someone else
Gas is most definitely the one who shot Monaito. He was left alive, Elec was about to reveal the terms of his wish, and nobody sensed it. He pulled a Piccolo/Freeza/Cell and got off a sneak attack
Hmm, you may be right, Gas does seem like the safest bet, hopefully at least, he will look like a walking skeleton more than he already is.
Though I don't know who or what the greatest warrior in the universe is.