"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Cipher » Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:39 am

Skar wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:56 pm Now that volume 18 has been released, does anyone have the updated spineart and table of contents?

This one only covers up to volume 15. I was curious what characters were shown after the last three Kaioshin. I assume the Zenos and their guards?
The Grand Priest and two Zenos (17), followed by the two Zeno guards and the U6 Kaioshin attendant (18).

I personally miss the volume-specific ones from the first four volumes, so I’m looking forward to whatever’s used in Volume 19.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:10 pm

Cipher wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:39 amThe Grand Priest and two Zenos (17), followed by the two Zeno guards and the U6 Kaioshin attendant (18).

I personally miss the volume-specific ones from the first four volumes, so I’m looking forward to whatever’s used in Volume 19.
Thanks! I suppose the manga might return to volume-specific characters now that all the gods have been shown.

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:15 pm

https://twitter.com/DB_official_en/stat ... Vo4Og&s=19
https://en.dragon-ball-official.com/news/01_1004.html
Toyo talks about his creative process drawing the Dokkan Vegeta with a big dick while there's also a video of him drawing the Vegeta

fleahop
Beyond Newbie

Post by fleahop » Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:33 pm

Shorty GZ2 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:15 pm https://twitter.com/DB_official_en/stat ... Vo4Og&s=19
https://en.dragon-ball-official.com/news/01_1004.html
Toyo talks about his creative process drawing the Dokkan Vegeta with a big dick while there's also a video of him drawing the Vegeta
Oh my Kami

Something about seeing it be drawn is even hotter than normal. I'm big gay for this Vegeta.
Movie 1/Dead Zone >>> DBS Broly

I'll die on this hill

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun May 01, 2022 7:38 am

As many people said, Super is not as the mega succesful DBZ. I remember DBZ airing on prime times in Europe, like in Germany for example, DBZ ran in the prime slot right after the news programme. Nowadays, Super is aired in reruns around 11 pm in the evening.

Also why Black and Zamasu stand out from Super is probably because they are the only actual villains, besides legacy villain Freeza in the whole series and seeing that they are quite popular, as they have ton of toys, inclusion in video games etc.
Besides Beerus and Whis, who became staple characters by now, the other runner up would be the new Broly.

But even though, getting new series and stories after a hiatus that started with the end of DBGT in 1997 is a miracle, but the franchise is a far cry from what it was in the 90s. What Dragon Ball was is One Piece now.

It is a B-league franchise that still runs on the success it had before.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

PrinceVegetto
Beyond Newbie

Post by PrinceVegetto » Sun May 01, 2022 11:25 pm

It's hard for me to believe that the manga has been going strong for 7+years. The original DB manga lasted 10.5 years. Because we're finally nearing EoZ, it will be interesting to see if the manga will wrap up once it reaches that point or if it will continue beyond EoZ...I guess it will be up to Toriyama.

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Mon May 02, 2022 12:59 am

Toyotaro (who we and he himself are all somewhat surprised he's even approaching 100 chapters with DBS) has said that the end goal of Super (or at least his Super manga) is to reach EOZ, so I'm assuming then that'll be it.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Tue May 03, 2022 7:42 pm

Shorty GZ2 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:59 am Toyotaro (who we and he himself are all somewhat surprised he's even approaching 100 chapters with DBS) has said that the end goal of Super (or at least his Super manga) is to reach EOZ, so I'm assuming then that'll be it.
I believe DBS and Boruto are the two longest running series on V-Jump so that's pretty impressive. I think spin-offs and sequels usually don't last as long as the series they're based on. Boruto is planned for 30 volumes which is a little less than half of Naruto. If the DBS manga does last as long as the original, it has about three years left so maybe another arc or two.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue May 03, 2022 10:07 pm

Skar wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 7:42 pm I believe DBS and Boruto are the two longest running series on V-Jump so that's pretty impressive. I think spin-offs and sequels usually don't last as long as the series they're based on. Boruto is planned for 30 volumes which is a little less than half of Naruto. If the DBS manga does last as long as the original, it has about three years left so maybe another arc or two.
Dragon Quest: Souten no Sora, based on DQX, has been been running for around 100 monthly chapters.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed May 04, 2022 12:16 am

Good gravy, can we get more Big Bang Bulgeta? Thanks!

Signed,
All of Us
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Wed May 04, 2022 1:12 am

Cipher wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:07 pmDragon Quest: Souten no Sora, based on DQX, has been been running for around 100 monthly chapters.
Oh I saw that one on the list for V-Jump series but I wasn't sure if it was still ongoing. I couldn't find much information on it and Wikipedia said it last released volume 13 in 2019.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed May 04, 2022 1:22 am

Skar wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 1:12 am
Cipher wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:07 pmDragon Quest: Souten no Sora, based on DQX, has been been running for around 100 monthly chapters.
Oh I saw that one on the list for V-Jump series but I wasn't sure if it was still ongoing. I couldn't find much information on it and Wikipedia said it last released volume 13 in 2019.
Not sure what it’s doing collected-release wise, but it is indeed still running. (And I think still doing collected books on a regular schedule?)

I thiiiink DBS is the second-longest V-Jump series ever though, just behind it. Not counting back-up essay manga, etc.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Wed May 04, 2022 10:25 am

Cipher wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 1:22 amNot sure what it’s doing collected-release wise, but it is indeed still running. (And I think still doing collected books on a regular schedule?)

I thiiiink DBS is the second-longest V-Jump series ever though, just behind it. Not counting back-up essay manga, etc.
Ah ok. I found on another site that it had 18 volumes so far so Wikipedia entry wasn't up to date. I couldn't find how many chapters the story is though. Are they shorter chapters? I guess it would have to be since four chapters a volume would only 72 months.

It's good that there's another long running series on there! To be honest I thought it was just DBS, Boruto, and some short series lasting a few years. Wikipedia lists eight regularly serialized series but mentions Victory Mission and Digimon World are on hiatus. That leaves two for Dragon Quest and two for Yugioh OCG but doesn't go into much detail.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed May 04, 2022 11:30 am

The English-language Wikipedia page for V-Jump has seemingly long-since been abandoned by anyone who cares enough or actually purchases the magazine. It's not a reliable source of (current) information.

The Japanese page is far more up-to-date.

(Our Kanzenshuu wiki page about the magazine will obviously be primarily focused on its Dragon Ball contents, so I guess I can at least head off at the pass any questions about that -- I don't have it in me to document all of the manga series it's ever had.)
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Wed May 04, 2022 12:09 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:30 amThe Japanese page[/url] is far more up-to-date.
Thank you! That one is a lot more detailed and organized by year. I didn't realize there were that many series released on V-Jump and that Toriyama's Cashman was the first. So in order of ongoing series:

-Let's go with dog Mayuge (1994)
-Dragon Quest Soura of the Blue Sky (2013)
-DBS (2015)
-Boruto (2016 in Weekly Jump then moved to V-Jump in 2019)
-Yugioh OCG Structures (2019)
-Victory Asada's Road to Top notch (2019)
-Dragon Quest Dai's Adventure Hero Aban and the Demon King of Hellfire (2020)

There's also Yugioh Sevens listed as serialized but might not have been updated yet since it looks like it ended March 2022.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed May 04, 2022 6:33 pm

Mayuge is a back-up essay comic, and Road to is a promotional editorial one.

Sora indeed has shorter chapters than DBS (most series do; it’s the longest in the magazine and long by monthly page counts in general), so it should have more chapters per volume.

The current line-up is:

DBS
Boruto
YGO: OCG Structures
YGO: OCG Stories
DQ: Sora
DQ Dai: Aban

Plus back-up comics.

dblack
Beyond Newbie

Post by dblack » Wed May 04, 2022 9:11 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:16 pm
Krillin1994 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:21 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:10 am

Frieza, who is the most popular DBZ villain and is alive in the storyline, was in the poll but couldn't come close to Goku Black. It's safe to say that Cell and Majin Buu would have been surpassed too, since they have never been more popular than Frieza, who was overtaken by Goku Black in that popularity poll.

Is it really relevant that Cell and Buu are not present, when they wouldn't rank higher than Frieza anyway?
Yes but it seems to be based around Super iterations, I mean Namek arc Frieza is on a different level of engagement. RoF was a miserable display of his character. People liked the direction the ToP went with him, but even then ultimately his main moment was just at the end for the side by side shot with Goku, the rest of the time just being 'oh ho ho ho I'm wicked'.

With those depictions of Freeza being more fresh in people's minds, then I mean I would probably place Goku Black higher than Frieza.

But Namek Arc Freeza is a level of lasting iconic. Even now if you mention Dragonball casual people immediately think Z. Goku Black will never have that mainstream draw.

But with that Poll we won't know since there was no option for those other villains. If another poll appears down the line where we can vote on villains and Black scores higher than Buu and Cell, then I'll say fair enough. But my gut is thinking people won't be talking about Goku Black like they do with Freeza, Cell and Buu 30 years after their debuts.
The bolded is the point I am getting at and the question that is interesting. We already see many people comparing Ultra Instinct to the original Super Saiyan on Namek, because the scene where Goku awakens Mastered Ultra Instinct against Jiren was so iconic, popular, game-breaking.

I mean, I can't speak for you, but I've seen countless people online saying stuff like "Goku unlocking MUI is as epic as the Super Saiyan scene".

It wouldn't surprise me if Super overtakes DBZ for future generations, it is after all a kids' show. For many kids who grew up in the 2010s and in this decade, DBS is their first introduction to Dragon Ball.
Goku unlocking MUI scene is almost a frame for frame re-make of Hiei using Dragon of the Darkness Flame in the Dark Tournament from Yu Yu Hakusho. 😁

I still thought it was cool too, but when I saw how blatant of a re-make that scene was I started to question if they are doing anything original.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu May 05, 2022 5:47 am

dblack wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:11 pm Goku unlocking MUI scene is almost a frame for frame re-make of Hiei using Dragon of the Darkness Flame in the Dark Tournament from Yu Yu Hakusho. 😁

I still thought it was cool too, but when I saw how blatant of a re-make that scene was I started to question if they are doing anything original.
That's fine, I'm just telling you what I've seen. I'm not a Goku fanboy or anything so it's not like that scene is some event that changed my life, but regardless I have seen many people online who have compared the Goku Ultra Instinct scene from DBS to the Goku Super Saiyan scene from DBZ.

And since the new generations will be growing up with Super, why shouldn't that scene replace the Super Saiyan sccene from Namek arc? Story-wise they are similar; the only difference is that Goku doesn't go Ultra Instinct after watching one of his friends die, but he still gets a form that was foreshadowed as far back as the RoF arc.
MCDaveG wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 7:38 am As many people said, Super is not as the mega succesful DBZ. I remember DBZ airing on prime times in Europe, like in Germany for example, DBZ ran in the prime slot right after the news programme. Nowadays, Super is aired in reruns around 11 pm in the evening.

Also why Black and Zamasu stand out from Super is probably because they are the only actual villains, besides legacy villain Freeza in the whole series and seeing that they are quite popular, as they have ton of toys, inclusion in video games etc.
Besides Beerus and Whis, who became staple characters by now, the other runner up would be the new Broly.

But even though, getting new series and stories after a hiatus that started with the end of DBGT in 1997 is a miracle, but the franchise is a far cry from what it was in the 90s. What Dragon Ball was is One Piece now.

There were at least two points in time when DBS overtook One Piece in terms of ratings:

https://www.crunchyroll.com/en-gb/anime ... se-ratings

https://comicbook.com/anime/news/dragon ... e-ratings/

Are you sure that DBS couldn't compete with One Piece?

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu May 05, 2022 6:48 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 5:47 am
dblack wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:11 pm Goku unlocking MUI scene is almost a frame for frame re-make of Hiei using Dragon of the Darkness Flame in the Dark Tournament from Yu Yu Hakusho. 😁

That's fine, I'm just telling you what I've seen. I'm not a Goku fanboy or anything so it's not like that scene is some event that changed my life, but regardless I have seen many people online who have compared the Goku Ultra Instinct scene from DBS to the Goku Super Saiyan scene from DBZ.

And since the new generations will be growing up with Super, why shouldn't that scene replace the Super Saiyan sccene from Namek arc? Story-wise they are similar; the only difference is that Goku doesn't go Ultra Instinct after watching one of his friends die, but he still gets a form that was foreshadowed as far back as the RoF arc.
MCDaveG wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 7:38 am As many people said, Super is not as the mega succesful DBZ. I remember DBZ airing on prime times in Europe, like in Germany for example, DBZ ran in the prime slot right after the news programme. Nowadays, Super is aired in reruns around 11 pm in the evening.

There were at least two points in time when DBS overtook One Piece in terms of ratings:

https://www.crunchyroll.com/en-gb/anime ... se-ratings

https://comicbook.com/anime/news/dragon ... e-ratings/

Are you sure that DBS couldn't compete with One Piece?
Sure, at those two points, but Super as a standalone franchise definitely can't. Super is still just a sequel/spin-off to a succesfull behemoth that Dragon Ball was during it's heyday in Japan and later in Europe, followed by US.
Let's say, that Super won those fights for ratings, which is incredible, but can't win the war.

Dragon Ball as a brand/franchise alone is still succesfull, mostly among us oldtimers worldwide who were watching it back in the day, with some new fans that got caught on Kai and Super. In Europe, you can see some toys here and there from the Breakers line made for Europe with Super brand on it, have no idea how the sales and the popularity of the toyline are (it's still on the shelves 2 years after the Broly movie), and still part of the pop culture, but the zeitgeist of DB in 90s and early 00s is gone.

One Piece is not that popular in Europe at all like it is in Japan, here Naruto took down Dragon Ball afterwards during the 00s and Pokémon is a long going staple.

Also, found this interesting map this guy did. Sure it's not 100 % and we can discuss about taking data based on Google search, as for example, with Naruto being still as strong on the maps, but it's not on TV for like 6 years anymore and nowhere to be seen outside of comic shops. https://diamondlobby.com/geeky-stuff/mo ... lar-anime/

But I can say, that what works for Naruto in Czechia, Slovakia and Austria is that Dragon Ball was just a niche for hundreds of fans and Naruto was highly popular and huge in these countries (Dragon Ball never aired in CZ and SK), so that might explain it's ongoing popularity more in the eastern parts of Europe, as for people, they view the show with same nostalgia we do Dragon Ball.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Jiren The Alpha
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jiren The Alpha » Thu May 05, 2022 11:00 am

dblack wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:11 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:16 pm
Krillin1994 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:21 pm

Yes but it seems to be based around Super iterations, I mean Namek arc Frieza is on a different level of engagement. RoF was a miserable display of his character. People liked the direction the ToP went with him, but even then ultimately his main moment was just at the end for the side by side shot with Goku, the rest of the time just being 'oh ho ho ho I'm wicked'.

With those depictions of Freeza being more fresh in people's minds, then I mean I would probably place Goku Black higher than Frieza.

But Namek Arc Freeza is a level of lasting iconic. Even now if you mention Dragonball casual people immediately think Z. Goku Black will never have that mainstream draw.

But with that Poll we won't know since there was no option for those other villains. If another poll appears down the line where we can vote on villains and Black scores higher than Buu and Cell, then I'll say fair enough. But my gut is thinking people won't be talking about Goku Black like they do with Freeza, Cell and Buu 30 years after their debuts.
The bolded is the point I am getting at and the question that is interesting. We already see many people comparing Ultra Instinct to the original Super Saiyan on Namek, because the scene where Goku awakens Mastered Ultra Instinct against Jiren was so iconic, popular, game-breaking.

I mean, I can't speak for you, but I've seen countless people online saying stuff like "Goku unlocking MUI is as epic as the Super Saiyan scene".

It wouldn't surprise me if Super overtakes DBZ for future generations, it is after all a kids' show. For many kids who grew up in the 2010s and in this decade, DBS is their first introduction to Dragon Ball.
Goku unlocking MUI scene is almost a frame for frame re-make of Hiei using Dragon of the Darkness Flame in the Dark Tournament from Yu Yu Hakusho. 😁

That reach is so long you could slap the moon.