"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
batistabus
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1638
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:55 pm
Location: Western Massachusetts

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by batistabus » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:45 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:00 pm
snip
Could the drop have anything to do with the corona virus? How are other manga selling these days? I heard that Vol. 12 was #2 in sales for its release date, but I don't know anything more about the context or what that actually means.

Either way, thanks for sharing this information.

User avatar
Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 20894
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:20 pm
Location: A temple on a giant tree
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:59 pm

batistabus wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:45 pm
Lord Beerus wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:00 pm
snip
Could the drop have anything to do with the corona virus? How are other manga selling these days? I heard that Vol. 12 was #2 in sales for its release date, but I don't know anything more about the context or what that actually means.

Either way, thanks for sharing this information.
The coronavrius didn't majorly disrupt Japan until late February/early March this year. And by that point, the latest volume (Volume 11) of the manga had been on sale since December 2019. So it had a few month to push copies.

In terms of other manga, the usual suspects (One Piece, Attack On Titan, Demon Slayer) are still selling extremely well. The Super manga has just unfortunately just lost a bit steam since the Galactic Patrol Prisoner arc began.

It will be interesting to see how well Volume 12 sells considering it's coming out in the midst of pandemic that is limiting people from going to public places.

User avatar
batistabus
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1638
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:55 pm
Location: Western Massachusetts

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by batistabus » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:41 pm

Unfortunately, it seems possible that we might not get a chapter this month due to COVID-19. WSJ has already been delayed. Prepare yourselves...

https://twitter.com/dbschronicles/statu ... 65696?s=21

User avatar
PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 386
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:58 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by PremiumSalt » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:24 pm

batistabus wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:41 pm
Unfortunately, it seems possible that we might not get a chapter this month due to COVID-19. WSJ has already been delayed. Prepare yourselves...

https://twitter.com/dbschronicles/statu ... 65696?s=21
Saw this coming to be honest. Still sucks though. But hey, I guess there's the possibility of 2 chapters next month then so...that's neat.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Tournament of Power 8. 21st Budōkai 9. Broly 10. Battle of Gods 11. Boo 12. U6 Tournament 13. Freeza 14. Red Ribbon Army 15. Artificial Humans/Cell 16.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

User avatar
Liquir
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 188
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:27 pm
Location: Dystopia

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Liquir » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:03 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:59 pm
batistabus wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:45 pm
Lord Beerus wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:00 pm
snip
Could the drop have anything to do with the corona virus? How are other manga selling these days? I heard that Vol. 12 was #2 in sales for its release date, but I don't know anything more about the context or what that actually means.

Either way, thanks for sharing this information.
The coronavrius didn't majorly disrupt Japan until late February/early March this year. And by that point, the latest volume (Volume 11) of the manga had been on sale since December 2019. So it had a few month to push copies.

In terms of other manga, the usual suspects (One Piece, Attack On Titan, Demon Slayer) are still selling extremely well. The Super manga has just unfortunately just lost a bit steam since the Galactic Patrol Prisoner arc began.

It will be interesting to see how well Volume 12 sells considering it's coming out in the midst of pandemic that is limiting people from going to public places.
Volume 12 sold 80,078 copies in the first week.
https://www.oricon.co.jp/rank/obc/w/2020-04-13/

User avatar
Matches Malone
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 926
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:12 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:57 am

Liquir wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:03 am
Volume 12 sold 80,078 copies in the first week.
Leave it to One Piece to be able to sell over a million copies during a worldwide lock down.
batistabus wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:41 pm
Unfortunately, it seems possible that we might not get a chapter this month due to COVID-19. WSJ has already been delayed. Prepare yourselves...

https://twitter.com/dbschronicles/statu ... 65696?s=21
Wouldn't we have gotten an announcement by now ?

User avatar
GodVegetto91
I Live Here
Posts: 2044
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:49 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by GodVegetto91 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:03 am

As if things couldn’t get any worse in life these days.. Now this!
“The fool looks to God outside him. The wise understands that God is within him.”

User avatar
Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 20894
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:20 pm
Location: A temple on a giant tree
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:52 am

Liquir wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:03 am
Lord Beerus wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:59 pm
batistabus wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:45 pm

Could the drop have anything to do with the corona virus? How are other manga selling these days? I heard that Vol. 12 was #2 in sales for its release date, but I don't know anything more about the context or what that actually means.

Either way, thanks for sharing this information.
The coronavrius didn't majorly disrupt Japan until late February/early March this year. And by that point, the latest volume (Volume 11) of the manga had been on sale since December 2019. So it had a few month to push copies.

In terms of other manga, the usual suspects (One Piece, Attack On Titan, Demon Slayer) are still selling extremely well. The Super manga has just unfortunately just lost a bit steam since the Galactic Patrol Prisoner arc began.

It will be interesting to see how well Volume 12 sells considering it's coming out in the midst of pandemic that is limiting people from going to public places.
Volume 12 sold 80,078 copies in the first week.
https://www.oricon.co.jp/rank/obc/w/2020-04-13/
Oof.

I mean, there can certainly be some blame given to the COVID-19 lockdown measures worldwide, but One Piece was still able to sell over 1 million copies so...

User avatar
The Undying
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 128
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:47 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by The Undying » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:54 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:52 am
I mean, there can certainly be some blame given to the COVID-19 lockdown measures worldwide, but One Piece was still able to sell over 1 million copies so...
But here's the thing: Super's volumes have never individually sold a million copies in the first week.

If we're comparing this to the 90,000+ figure the DBS manga has consistently broken since the third volume, I think it's safe to pin down most of the blame on coronavirus lockdowns. I'm frankly more surprised that it wasn't lower than 80K considering world affairs.

I haven't been keeping track of One Piece's performance, but I wonder how 96's sales number compares to OP's previous releases. I'd assume pretty much everything has been affected.
Formerly Marlowe89.

User avatar
Matches Malone
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 926
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:12 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:49 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:52 am
I mean, there can certainly be some blame given to the COVID-19 lockdown measures worldwide, but One Piece was still able to sell over 1 million copies so...
I thought that was bad, but when you look at the list as a whole, it seems to be pretty normal. It was only a few copies less from the 3rd place, and manga such as Black clover which have an on going anime sold 60000 copies. For a manga that hasn't had an anime for 2 years and a movie for a year and a half, I'd say 4th place is pretty good.

In terms of One Piece, it's One Piece, that's what it does. You could have an alien invasion going on in Japan and people would still find a way to get their One Piece copies.

User avatar
Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 20894
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:20 pm
Location: A temple on a giant tree
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:43 pm

The Undying wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:54 pm

But here's the thing: Super's volumes have never individually sold a million copies in the first week.

If we're comparing this to the 90,000+ figure the DBS manga has consistently broken since the third volume, I think it's safe to pin down most of the blame on coronavirus lockdowns. I'm frankly more surprised that it wasn't lower than 80K considering world affairs.

I haven't been keeping track of One Piece's performance, but I wonder how 96's sales number compares to OP's previous releases. I'd assume pretty much everything has been affected.
I'm not expecting Dragon Ball Super to do gangbusters in sales, especially now. I only mention the fact that One Piece still sold over a million copies because:

a) One Piece on average sells 1+ million copies every volume
b) Volume 96 -- the volume that was most recently released -- saw an increase in sales over the last volume (by over 180,000)

Of course One Piece is stupidly popular in Japan and has an ongoing anime helping with pushing more copies of the manga. I really thought the latest volume of One Piece would under-perform given the current circumstances, but there was bump in sales instead. So I don't know what to say. Perhaps the COVID-19 lockdown measure in Japan aren't as strict.
Matches Malone wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:49 pm
I thought that was bad, but when you look at the list as a whole, it seems to be pretty normal. It was only a few copies less from the 3rd place, and manga such as Black clover which have an on going anime sold 60000 copies. For a manga that hasn't had an anime for 2 years and a movie for a year and a half, I'd say 4th place is pretty good.

In terms of One Piece, it's One Piece, that's what it does. You could have an alien invasion going on in Japan and people would still find a way to get their One Piece copies.
I'm don't want to sound like I'm harping on the manga for under-performing, but even when the anime ended, the manga was still pushing 120,000 - 150,000 copies in its first week on sale and the previous volume showed that the manga could generate similar results. It all really comes down to whether fans are interested in the content of the volume.

User avatar
The Undying
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 128
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:47 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by The Undying » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:47 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:43 pm
a) One Piece on average sells 1+ million copies every volume
b) Volume 96 -- the volume that was most recently released -- saw an increase in sales over the last volume (by over 180,000)
Well, that's interesting.

Was the previous volume exceptionally low for One Piece sales or about normal? I'd like to see how 96 compares to the average number across the last 20 or so volumes.

Guess I shouldn't underestimate Japan's One Piece fanbase. I've always known it was absurdly popular domestically, but to see it still going that strong in the face of a massive outbreak is a sight to behold. :lol:
Formerly Marlowe89.

User avatar
Matches Malone
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 926
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:12 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:59 pm

The Undying wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:47 pm
I'd like to see how 96 compares to the average number across the last 20 or so volumes.
In 2011 One Piece volumes sold over 3 million copies each. One Piece's success is something I don't think we'll ever see happen again. In 20 or so years, it has managed to outsell books like Spider-man which has been around for 60+ years, with countless volumes and single issues being sold. It'll soon take over Batman for #2, despite it being around for 80+ years.

User avatar
The Undying
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 128
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:47 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by The Undying » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:13 am

Matches Malone wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:59 pm
In 2011 One Piece volumes sold over 3 million copies each.
Funny coincidence, since I kept up with OP much more regularly at the time.

I did some snooping and found that volume 90's sales were at 1.4 million on its first week, followed by 91 at 1.5, then 92 and 93 at 1.3, 94 at 1.1, and 95 at 883K - although that last figure is somewhat misleading since it was recorded only two days after 95 was released.

As I suspected, volume 96's 1.07 number is actually fairly low for One Piece's standards. That's hundreds of thousands below 2019's individual volume sales. Everything seems to be impacted by COVID-19, so I'm impressed Super managed to keep its head above water at 80K (and 4th place).
Formerly Marlowe89.

User avatar
Xeogran
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1938
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:04 am
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Xeogran » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:54 am

So if we get the usual drafts on the 13th, then that means the chapter will be coming out regularly? I guess we'll find out soon.

User avatar
Matches Malone
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 926
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:12 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:03 am

Xeogran wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:54 am
So if we get the usual drafts on the 13th, then that means the chapter will be coming out regularly? I guess we'll find out soon.
We can still get the drafts as they're just posted on Twitter, not sold in a magazine you have to go out and get. The longer we go without any news of a delay, the less likely it'll be.

User avatar
Noitsnothim
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 391
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:27 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Noitsnothim » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:00 pm

Matches Malone wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:03 am
Xeogran wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:54 am
So if we get the usual drafts on the 13th, then that means the chapter will be coming out regularly? I guess we'll find out soon.
We can still get the drafts as they're just posted on Twitter, not sold in a magazine you have to go out and get. The longer we go without any news of a delay, the less likely it'll be.
Does everyone forget that each new chapter is released on the WSJ app and Vizmedia on the 20th/21st of each month? why is everyone acting like we might not get it

User avatar
Matches Malone
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 926
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:12 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:17 pm

Noitsnothim wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:00 pm
Does everyone forget that each new chapter is released on the WSJ app and Vizmedia on the 20th/21st of each month? why is everyone acting like we might not get it
I think WSJ is delaying the issues that were supposed to be in this week's physical issue. If that's the case, then chances are they'll do the same with what's in V Jump if it also gets delayed.

caire
Newbie
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:25 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by caire » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:51 pm

Noitsnothim wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:00 pm
Matches Malone wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:03 am
Xeogran wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:54 am
So if we get the usual drafts on the 13th, then that means the chapter will be coming out regularly? I guess we'll find out soon.
We can still get the drafts as they're just posted on Twitter, not sold in a magazine you have to go out and get. The longer we go without any news of a delay, the less likely it'll be.
Does everyone forget that each new chapter is released on the WSJ app and Vizmedia on the 20th/21st of each month? why is everyone acting like we might not get it
It's true that there's a digital release; from my understanding, we may not get early leaks etc if the magazine is delayed, but the actual chapter should still be released online on the usual date. Or is the digital release of the chapter dependent on the physical release of the magazine as well somehow? Sorry if I seem ignorant, I'm not sure how it works.

Furious Anime Man
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:36 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Furious Anime Man » Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:28 am

Any leaks so far??? What about the Seven-Three rumor :crazy:

Post Reply