What do you hope for in Super's main antagonist?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

What do you hope for in Super's main antagonist?

Post by fadeddreams5 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:45 pm

There are many archetypes to choose from, and we've had several.

1. Classic ruthless bad guy who wants to rule shit cause he's super strong, feels entitled, and is evilll: King Piccolo, Vegeta (saiyan saga), Frieza, Turles, Lord Slug, Demigra, and the list goes on.

2. Incompetent villain who claims to be evil and want to rule the world, but comes off as a goofball/non-threat: Pilaf

3. Powerful leader who is not physically strong himself, but has incredibly strong and loyal (or magically possessed) henchmen who do his bidding and keeps him safe: Commander Red, Babidi

4. Evil scientist bent on ruling everything, getting revenge, making the world a "better place", or all three: Dr. Gero, Dr. Wheelo, Dr. Raichi, Dr. Myuu.

5. Someone (evil or not) who possesses a job or wishes to accomplish a goal that just so happens to conflict with the well-being of the main heroes, resulting in an inevitable clash: Beerus, Tao Pai Pai.

6. Completely insane being who only knows destruction: Broly, Kid Buu, Super Janemba, Hirudegarn

7. Ego-maniacal blood knight who wants to prove his superiority by defeating and killing strong enemies: Perfect Cell

8. Psychopath who destroys because it's fun and he can, and is also intelligent: Future Androids 17 and 18, Bojack (?)

9. Being created with a specific purpose who will kill until he accomplishes his mission: Super 13, Imperfect Cell

10. Misguided person who was manipulated to do evil, but is not truly bad himself: Tien, Fat Buu

And the list goes on, I believe. Then there's the matter of personality, which is a different story. But, for the most part, what sort of antagonist do YOU want to see in Super?

Me, I guess I'd want a combination of 1 and 5. Someone who wants to do something, such as merging all the universes, because he feels entitled, but isn't really evil himself (or believes himself to be, anyways). A patient, maybe even soft-spoken fighter who's wise, incredibly strong, honorable in battle, and loves fighting as much as Goku (warlord in a way). Also ruthless in the sense that he has no problem purging the universes of sentient life to accomplish his goals, seeing his actions as serving towards a greater good. Personality, maybe somewhat like Yomi from Yu Yu Hakusho. This isn't anything new, but I'd like to see it in DBZ instead of more villains like ****ing Syn Shenron and Demigra.
Last edited by fadeddreams5 on Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: What do you hope for in Super's main antagonist?

Post by Chuquita » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:46 pm

Still hoping for that reality-warper with a sense of humor.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:48 pm

I want for there to be a motif of animals that eat vegetables. That would be funny, the Saiyans' greatest foes are based on animals that love their name references. A rabbit or a horse defeating Gokuu would be cool!
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:59 pm

Honestly, I like being surprised, so I haven't even really thought much about what kind of opponent I'd like to see pop up next...really the only 'predictable' things I'd kind of half way want to see would be either a Makaioshin, or a being from one of the other universes. In addition and/or besides that, the only thing I can think of is that it'd be neat to get a female final villain for a change.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:18 am

I want a good guy to be the main antagonist. Why? I'll have him believe what he's doing is what's best for society or something. Someone who believe the Z fighters are more of a threat than a help.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:02 am

Maybe someone whose planet was destroyed by Vegeta in the past and has been training the whole time to get revenge on him.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:37 am

I still want the original Super Saiyan God or other Gods of Destruction.

Either one of those. The characteristics and appearance, can be a surprise.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:38 am

Super Saiyan Gods are supposed to be good and not evil though.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:39 am

He would have been good at first and would be good when he first appeared in the show but would eventually go bad once be found out his planet was destroyed.

He'd be similar to Zod.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:02 am

Though I do have hopes that the Makaio(shin) and 12 Universes will be explored at some point, I have no specific desired for what I want out of the show. Just give me something akin to an actual evil Beerus, in that they have a pretty good design, are at least decently well defined in terms of character, have their own little quirks that make them unique, etc.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:39 am

Visitor from another world who ends up fighting the Z Fighters due to a misunderstanding. Bonus points if he or she defeats Goku and Vegeta, and when they're expecting the death blow, he or explains the faux paus.

Lapis

Post by Lapis » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:46 am

I guess I'll go for 5.

I want to see an antagonist who is calm and collected, someone who doesn't play around or act cocky in a death battle but instead tries to finish off the opponent as quickly as possible from the start.
Someone who is a master of Ki and uses it in a much more efficient way because he understands all of it's secrets(Something that will surprise Goku, Vegeta and the earthlings).

I also want the antagonist to be from a different universe and have a totally different culture and behavior.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:10 am

An insanely skilled master that even Goku and Vegeta can't beat... but is not really evil and is just an obstacle the daredevil Saiyans must overcome.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Low Tone G
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Low Tone G » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:16 am

A very intelligent and precautious guy, an evil version of Whis, maybe. The reality warping, like Chuquita said, would also play well.
English is not my first language!
I'm still waiting for Dragon Ball in Super...

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:20 am

I want a tragic villain. A villain who is well motivated, with a good back story and goes through significant character development as the plot advances. But in the end, doesn't become a full blow good guy, but just reflects on his/her actions and judges himself/herself on what kind of person he/she is and has become.

If that can't happen, just give me a really savvy, intelligent and somewhat trollish villain who has a dark sense of humour and unique powers. i.e. reality warping abilities.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:42 am

Something new for the franchise. Otherwise, it'd just feel like a rehash of previous villains. I'm hoping for a surprise, even if I don't believe that to be the case. But if I have to choose, an antagonist similar to Beerus would be cool, but I don't think he'd work well as a main antagonist. So, someone similar to Freeza, but let him have a reason to be evil this time instead of just being all powerful.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:37 am

I would want something in the mold of Chimera Arc in Hunter X Hunter. The antagonist would be a colony with the "Queen" facing the Z-Senshi in a whole planet seeing them as intruders, and acting on self-preservation. Foot soldiers, elite soldiers, natural calamities, hunger would weaken and separate the warriors leading to a final face-off against a personification of the Colony so that Vegeta and Goku could have the final stage.

This would be perfect. Side characters would be useful, adventure like arc, possibilities of comedy and the main characters to do their thing. The colony antagonist could be developed as rational animals that destroyed not by "evilness" but by instinct.

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:06 pm

I had mentioned this before. My ideal antagonist(s) for this series would be for the strongest warriors from the other universes to come to Earth to get rid of Dragon Balls +Goku/Vegeta because every time they wish something, the natural order in their universe gets screwed over. They have had enough and they are willing to put an end to it. They would want to wipe Earth and New Namek for good, forcing the cast to split into two groups to deal with the new menace.
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:20 pm

I hope its not Demigra; but the plotline he had trying to take over Beerus' mind was interesting because of the failure.
But I want to see villain with weight to its motivation and not a generic one. I want the villain to have actual connection to prior events, be it a Majin, but within a connection to Whis & The evil Kaioshins.
I want it to be a warper-warrior demon like Janemba, not a wizard - but with the brain of Gotenks-Buu, a unique design like Beerus, but a humanoid and with super evolution transformations like Baby's but a collected martial arts master like Beerus. Something like Akuma or Seth from SF.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:31 pm

Lapis wrote:I guess I'll go for 5.

I want to see an antagonist who is calm and collected, someone who doesn't play around or act cocky in a death battle but instead tries to finish off the opponent as quickly as possible from the start.
Someone who is a master of Ki and uses it in a much more efficient way because he understands all of it's secrets(Something that will surprise Goku, Vegeta and the earthlings).

I also want the antagonist to be from a different universe and have a totally different culture and behavior.
Funny, that almost perfectly describes a planned antagonist I have in my fanfic later on.