Dragon Ball Super Strength Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Pannaliciour
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Power Level Discussion Thread

Post by Pannaliciour » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:43 pm

But isn't stated in the manga: ssjb >ssjg (chapter 5)

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:48 pm

Pannaliciour wrote:But isn't stated in the manga: ssjb >ssjg (chapter 5)
Yes, every relevant media except the movie in which the forms debuted flat out state SSGSS or SSB, if you like, is stronger than SSG.

Pannaliciour
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pannaliciour » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:20 pm

Did I mis something? What part of the movie did say ssjg >ssjb?

Or perhaps you mean it did not state anything (ssjg > ssjb or ssjb>ssjg?

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:25 pm

Well they didn't show how they become SSJB so there's nothing interesting to talk about this week either. I'm interested to know what Whis said though about that scene.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:28 pm

No 1.3 million bullcrap line, so rejoice in that case, even if everything still wasn't in shambles already :lol: .
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:26 am

Pannaliciour wrote:Did I mis something? What part of the movie did say ssjg >ssjb?

Or perhaps you mean it did not state anything (ssjg > ssjb or ssjb>ssjg?
Yes, exactly. It just states "[he's] a Super Saiyan, that is a Saiyan that has the power of Super Saiyan God", making it sound like SSG=SSGSS, rather than either form being inherently superior, whereas everything else blatantly states SSG < SSB.

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:25 am

dbzfan7 wrote:No 1.3 million bullcrap line, so rejoice in that case, even if everything still wasn't in shambles already :lol: .
Now all thats left is that stupid Sorbet scene.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:03 am

dbgtFO wrote:It just states "[he's] a Super Saiyan, that is a Saiyan that has the power of Super Saiyan God", making it sound like SSG=SSGSS
It doesn't necessarily mean this though. The exact same statement was made along with a SSG < SSB statement in the video-game DBZ: Dokkan Battle.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

FuriusMarius

Post by FuriusMarius » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:59 am

really is more easy than it looks...

Super Saiyan > Saiyan
Super Saiyan (God Super Saiyan) > Super Saiyan God.

Super saiyan god is just the new base state for Goku and Vegeta... they absorb the god power... that means in normal state they have the same power more or less of the super saiyan god.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:16 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
dbgtFO wrote:It just states "[he's] a Super Saiyan, that is a Saiyan that has the power of Super Saiyan God", making it sound like SSG=SSGSS
It doesn't necessarily mean this though. The exact same statement was made along with a SSG < SSB statement in the video-game DBZ: Dokkan Battle.
Indeed it was, but them repeating Toriyama's only known explanation of SSGB, doesn't mean that the statement was always supposed to mean that. If they can stick with Goku < Super Buu and yet still later go off-script and claim Kid Buu > everyone, then I'm having a hard time of giving them the benefit of the doubt.
Granted it's Toriyama's fault for not being that clear. Toei & co. don't "suffer" from the same subtleness as Toriyama and just state things flat out. It doesn't help that the japanese language is so frustratingly ambigous, that Goku's line can be translated as "the SS of a saiyan, that has the power of SSG," which blatantly supports SSG < SSB.
Okay I'm not too sure about that, but I think heard that somewhere..
In any case getting into an argument about the wording of stuff, when I don't even understand the language in the first place, is a bit of waste of time, so I'm just going to leave it that, but still wonder why Super Saiyan is implied to be a big power-up for them by the Oracle Fish, if base ~ SS ~ SSG prior to SSGSS.

buutenks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by buutenks » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:45 am

I'm sure ssj blue is above ssj god.Since in super when goku went to beeru's temple his normal ssj form was already equal to ssj god.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:27 am

In this episode Whis seems to know about SSGSS transformation

By theory could be either way:

SSGSS > SSJG (More plausible)

SSGSS = SSJG (The difference is the first one is a permanent instead of a temporary form)

"Saiyan Beyond God" probably might be not a thing in DBS, I think.

Freeza one shotted Base Gohan in his 1st form and yet this proves that:

Saiyan Beyond God Goku > = Super Saiyan God Goku?

Final Form Freeza ROF > Boo-han?

Not really
Last edited by Noah on Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:50 am

dbgtFO wrote:Indeed it was, but them repeating Toriyama's only known explanation of SSGB, doesn't mean that the statement was always supposed to mean that. If they can stick with Goku < Super Buu and yet still later go off-script and claim Kid Buu > everyone, then I'm having a hard time of giving them the benefit of the doubt.
My point is that the statement can't be interpreted exclusively as SSG = SSB. It isn't like with Boo's forms in the anime, where there is an obvious contradiction. The line either means that SSG = SSB, or it isn't talking about battle powers at all, just about the power of Super Saiyan God, like base Goku has the power of Super Saiyan God, yet he isn't exactly as strong as SSG.

As for Toriyama's intention, I find it hard to believe that he intended SSB to be as strong as SSG. 80% SSG Goku was fighting evenly with Beerus, but when Beerus powered-up & Goku went 100%, he had trouble against him, and he still had trouble at about the same level when he went back to base, but he fought better as a Super Saiyan because he became more aggressive. Beerus said that Goku's power didn't drop much when he lost SSG, but he didn't elaborate which form he was talking about, base, SS, or both, compared to SSG? I think both, because Goku was fighting the same in SSG & base, and he only fought better as a SS because he got more aggressive (unless you think SS > SSG, which goes against what Beerus says). I get the feeling that there is a very small difference between base, SS, and SSG, and this seems to be what Toriyama implies in an interview, since he says that Goku no longer needs SSG because Goku has now absorbed its power, and he isn't talking about SSB because he says that we will probably understand this after watching BoG. So, if there is a small difference between base, SS, and SSG, but a big difference between base & SSB, there should be a big difference between SSG & SSB as well. EDIT: There is also the fact that Goku can still transform on his own into a SSG. Why would he have 2 new forms with the same power?

Now, as for what Super does... that's confusing. They have SS exactly as strong as SSG, and they seem to have base close to SS, since Goku could not only stop, but also destroy the big ki ball. But then they have Goku training as a Super Saiyan, and then Goku & Vegeta refusing to use SS to push themselves in base and become even stronger... Then again, this is Toei, and they have the habit to contradict not only Toriyama, but also themselves.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:32 pm

Super saiyan god is just the new base state for Goku and Vegeta... they absorb the god power... that means in normal state they have the same power more or less of the super saiyan god.
Nah they're too weak in base form for them to be equal to SSJG.

It doesn't make sense with Whis' comparison of their power, Goku saying Beerus' sneeze blast would kill them, Frieza being taken aback when Goku turns SSJB.

Golden Frieza after losing a lot of power still thought that base Vegeta was no match for him too.

buutenks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by buutenks » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:36 pm

Noah wrote:In this episode Whis seems to know about SSGSS transformation

By theory could be either way:

SSGSS > SSJG (More plausible)

SSGSS = SSJG (The difference is the first one is a permanent instead of a temporary form)

"Saiyan Beyond God" probably might be not a thing in DBS, I think.

Freeza one shotted Base Gohan in his 1st form and yet this proves that:

Saiyan Beyond God Goku > = Super Saiyan God Goku?

Final Form Freeza ROF > Boo-han?

Not really

I always suspected that since gohan could 'only\ go ssj1 in ROF,that his base basically became as weak as goku's and vegeta's base prior to the god powerup and whis training.AKA weaker than final form freeza in namek saga.Meaning freeza got his first form which was at 530 k PL to around 120 mil or perhaps higher.

My opinion anyways ^^

Edit:Also goku said in ep 20 that the sneeze blast nearly caught him off guard.Guess goku still didnt learn from what whis told him and staying relaxed all the time.

As for whis comparison with the tree.ye seems like a contradiction,or goku can only harness his full max via SSJ,so i guess then it wouldnt be a contradiction.And in turn means ssj blue is an improved ssj1 which boosts his power even further.

FuriusMarius

Post by FuriusMarius » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:55 pm

Bullza wrote:
Nah they're too weak in base form for them to be equal to SSJG.

It doesn't make sense with Whis' comparison of their power, Goku saying Beerus' sneeze blast would kill them, Freeza being taken aback when Goku turns SSJB.

Golden Freeza after losing a lot of power still thought that base Vegeta was no match for him too.
If Goku absorbed the power of the Super Saiyan God and when he goes to Whis planet is just slightly below Vegeta without SSGSSJm then is clearly that Vegeta and Goku base have a similar power to SSG... Bills was playing with Goku... when he want to defeat him, he just did.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:39 pm

Goku absorbed the SSJG power and was of the same strenght when he was a Super Saiyan. How strong he is in base is questionable but I'm certain that when he said Vegeta was stronger than him that he was referring to their base states.

No way is base Vegeta at that point stronger than SSJG.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:11 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:My point is that the statement can't be interpreted exclusively as SSG = SSB.
We've been over this already. If Herms' translation is accurate, which is that SSGSS is a Super Saiyan "that is" (which means equivalent to) a Saiyan with the power of SSG, then that is the only possible way to interpret that statement. If the translation is inaccurate, only then would the discrepancy in Dokkan Battle be explained - otherwise, Dokkan Battle itself could plausibly be misinterpreting the statement.
but he fought better as a Super Saiyan because he became more aggressive
Baseless assumption on your part. He likely fought better as a Super Saiyan because, like in all instances where Goku fights better as a Super Saiyan, he did so simply because SS is a stronger transformation. In BoG's case, it could very well be because SS draws out more of SSG's power than he is otherwise capable of drawing out in base.
I think both, because Goku was fighting the same in SSG & base
Also a baseless assumption, because you have no of way of quantifying that. It only seems to you that Goku's base form could perform equally to SSG when the reality of the situation is that we barely saw him fight in base after the absorption.
and this seems to be what Toriyama implies in an interview, since he says that Goku no longer needs SSG because Goku has now absorbed its power, and he isn't talking about SSB because he says that we will probably understand this after watching BoG.
I don't know where you get the idea that Toriyama's interview implies that Goku's base form is as strong as SSG, simply because he said that Goku no longer needs SSG, when we explicitly saw him perform better as a Super Saiyan post-absorption.
There is also the fact that Goku can still transform on his own into a SSG.
You still haven't proven that he can do this at will, and until you are able to do so your entire point here is moot.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:48 am

Kitchen > Android 18 was further confirmed by a recent episode.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:21 am

RandomGuy96 wrote:Kitchen > Android 18 was further confirmed by a recent episode.
Gotta remember to add kitchen on my tier list.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!