Dragon Ball Super Strength Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Power Level Discussion Thread

Post by RandomGuy96 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:49 pm

Wait, interview? Kaio-Ken? What's up?
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:50 pm

Perhaps kaioken doesn't multiply SSB's power but rather Goku's base form? It's like he gainning power equivalent to his base plus his SSB. Though, that wouldn't seem much of an increase if base is hundreds of times weaker than blue. :?

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:52 pm

This is a theory so bear with me, an out-of-the-universe one. When proposed BoG and likely RoF, Mr.Toriyama didn't know he would be given the chance to write more and therefore to image plot with future consequences.

Which brings me to the inevitable retcon in BoG. When it was a isolated movie, I think Goku absorbing the God Powers was intended for that moment, it's a moment that the character deserves, because eventually he will lose to Beerus. And let's all agree Goku is a fighting genius.

But with RoF and the necessity of continuity, that might have been dropped. To give born to a new source of merchandising. The SSJB, the new transformation for the new movie that was stronger than SSJG.

But then! New series! So now, we have definitely continuity and the need to make everything glue, but they couldn't just modify the BoG arc. The impact would be lost. So now we have Whis line, which makes Goku absorbing the God powers a momentary thing (implied not said), besides adding the SSJ forms that were absent in the RoF movies and arc.

Making the intended progression in Super: Base < SSJ < SSJB(Only comparable with SSJG).

Which kinda rules out the 6-10-15 scale of BoG, if the Kaioken makes it's return and doesn't follow it's multiplier (we don't know how they will deal with it).

What do you guys think?

Chiki
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Chiki » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:54 pm

pacz360 wrote:Why don't you guys lay off the numbers and wait to see the episode this weekened and future to get an idea on the ssjbkaioken crap :lol:
Doesn't seem like it can be anything else.

Wtf, Toriyama said he didn't intend for Goku to surpass Beerus but with SSB + Kaioken he should be equal to Whis (if SSB is at least 7.5 on the power scale). Maybe it's a really short amount of time or something.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:57 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:Wait, interview? Kaio-Ken? What's up?
'
There's a Toriyama and Toyotaro interview with some few juicy tidbits released with volume 1 of the super manga. Titles and summaries for episodes 38-40 were released today.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:57 pm

Doctor. wrote:The Kaioken will most likely screw over the power levels even more, I think we should just give up guys :lol:
I already did. Which is why I wonder why people are going "NUH UH MY WAY MAKES MORE SENSE THAN YOURS CAUSE SO AND SO!" Literally no matter what the angle. No matter where you stand. There is always some point in the series that shoots the argument in the foot. Why? Cause Super is a clusterfuck which doesn't make sense. It just keeps changing and doing what ever the hell it wants. Like GT, but this is Super Logic.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:59 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:The Kaioken will most likely screw over the power levels even more, I think we should just give up guys :lol:
I already did. Which is why I wonder why people are going "NUH UH MY WAY MAKES MORE SENSE THAN YOURS CAUSE SO AND SO!" Literally no matter what the angle. No matter where you stand. There is always some point in the series that shoots the argument in the foot. Why? Cause Super is a clusterfuck which doesn't make sense. It just keeps changing and doing what ever the hell it wants. Like GT, but this is Super Logic.
Its sad that gt more coherent with power level than fucking super will ever be :lol:

DragonHermit
Regular

Post by DragonHermit » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:36 pm

In the next episode titles, Hit is again referred to as the strongest man in Universe 6. Still not sure whether that means the team or the whole of U6.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:43 pm

DragonHermit wrote:In the next episode titles, Hit is again referred to as the strongest man in Universe 6. Still not sure whether that means the team or the whole of U6.
I think it's fair to assume, he is in fact the strongest of that Universe. However Dragon Ball always leaves space for "the next challenge".

In Universe 7 there was Monaka so yeah, a Monaka type for Universe 6 isn't unlikely. However for all intentions if somebody says, Hit is the strongest in that Universe bar Champa and Vados, we can't disagree with that without assuming information.

DragonHermit
Regular

Post by DragonHermit » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:03 am

If he's stronger than Vados/Champa is what I'm wondering. Saying he's the strongest unequivocally, implies that he's stronger than them.

Anyhow, there's no point in considering multipliers at this point. For power levels all we can do is rank characters relative to each other at this point. We've probably entered tens of trillions right now.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:19 am

DragonHermit wrote:If he's stronger than Vados/Champa is what I'm wondering. Saying he's the strongest unequivocally, implies that he's stronger than them.

Anyhow, there's no point in considering multipliers at this point. For power levels all we can do is rank characters relative to each other at this point. We've probably entered tens of trillions right now.
By saying he's the strongest man they are already excluding Vados and Champa. They are Gods not "lower beings", for the lack of a better word.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:24 am

DragonHermit wrote:If he's stronger than Vados/Champa is what I'm wondering. Saying he's the strongest unequivocally, implies that he's stronger than them.
There's no reason that wouldn't just imply "strongest mortal"/non-God of Destruction. He's after the cube, and if he could take it from Vados and Champa by force, he'd presumably do so.

Also, that's just an episode summary for TV guides.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:37 am

Didn't one of the upcoming episode summaries say Champa tries to kill everyone and Hit becomes frozen with fear? I saw someone else say it was Cabba but if it was Hit then that kinda tells you what you need to know.

I can't see Hit being stronger than Champa let alone Vados. If Goku is gonna beat Hit but Toriyama isn't going to make him stronger than Beerus then...that's kind of your answer isn't it?

ROCKYIII
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ROCKYIII » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:47 am

Bullza wrote:Gonna do one of those, mainly for my own sake. The BoG and RoF arcs are based on the movies and not Super (mainly because I just watched them)

Buu arc

SSJ3 Vegito - 400
SSJ2 Vegito - 100
Super Vegito - 50
Gohan Buu - 17
Gohan - 10
SSJ3 Gotenks - 8
SSJ2 Gotenks - 2
SSJ Gotenks - 1
SSJ3 Goku - 1
Kid Buu - 0.96
Good Buu - 0.5

BoG arc

Whis - 1,500
Beerus - 1,000
SSJG Goku - 600
Angry SSJ2 Vegeta - 50

RoF arc

Whis - 1,500
Beerus - 1,000
Golden Frieza - 800
SSJB Goku - 720
SSJB Vegeta - 685
Goku - 1.44
Vegeta - 1.37
Frieza Final Form - 1.3
SSJ Gohan - 1.08
Gohan - 0.022
Shisami - 0.0.22
Piccolo - 0.0.22

Champa arc

Whis - 1,500
Beerus - 1,000
Champa - 950
SSJB Goku - 790
SSJB Vegeta - 755
SSJ Goku - 79
SSJ Vegeta - 75.5
SSJ Cabba - 68.5
Magetta - 66
Frost (Final Form) - 52
Piccolo - ???
Frost (Third Form) - 1.75
Goku - 1.58
Vegeta - 1.51
Cabba - 1.44
Botamo - 1.37
Angry vegeta as strong as super vegeto smh

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:55 am

It's bullshit I know but he did push Beerus to use 10% of his power, I was possibly low balling when I gave him a 50 as well. Had Beerus said 1% then it'd have been a much better fit.

Then again I do remember the back and forth here on whether Vegeta was stronger than Super Vegito or not after that episode aired.

Also we just assume that SSJ3 Vegito was included in Goku's statement. For all we know they may have just been referring to the Super Vegito we saw in DBZ. So he'd be the 400 and well above angry Vegeta.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:17 am

Zombie wrote:
'
There's a Toriyama and Toyotaro interview with some few juicy tidbits released with volume 1 of the super manga. Titles and summaries for episodes 38-40 were released today.
Is it up anywhere? Link? The interview on Kanzenshuu's front page doesn't say anything about Kaio-ken...
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:23 am

RandomGuy96 wrote:
Zombie wrote:
'
Is it up anywhere? Link? The interview on Kanzenshuu's front page doesn't say anything about Kaio-ken...
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... tart=15060
Look at the second post made by Herms.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:30 am

Sounds like the fight with Pikkon. Goku will probably do that same "Super Kaio-ken" thing, which in that fight seemed to make him much stronger (enough to hurt and stun Pikkon with a punch, after being helpless for the whole fight) but no more than x2 at most. In exchange for leaving him gassed out after five seconds. So it's a high risk, high reward technique not much different than any "ultimate" attack.

At least, that's my prediction. For all I know they could do something completely different.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:

singsing
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by singsing » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:44 am

Hmm, I thought SSJ was about as strong as Goku when he first went SSG? Did something new happen to show that's not the case? Didn't think there was such a big gap between SSG and SSB.

apex_pretador
I Live Here

Post by apex_pretador » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:16 am

Bullza wrote:
apex_pretador wrote:Did goku say anything about vegeta being tougher than nappa on earth invasion?
Well there was already a comment about Vegeta probably being more powerful than Nappa by Piccolo.
Probably is the strong word here. He's just guessing by the looks.
When they've already sensed golden freeza, then frost is really nothing comparison to freeza.
But Goku and Vegeta had been able to sense each other's energy and Beerus'. They were clearly unnerved when Frieza transformed into his Final Form though. I just think it's odd that Frost is portrayed as being stronger but not one person comments on his power or compares him to Frieza.
When were they "unnerved"?
There was just a generic "wow, you became a lot stronger" reaction.
Only when he transforms to his golden form, which is possibly hundreds, or even thousands of times stronger than his base form, did everyone comment on it being unbelievable, unimaginable etc.

No one will compare him to freeza when freeza is thousands of times stronger. It is like saying that no one is ever compared to first form freeza in the entire manga.
The main point is - nobody commented on GOKU being weaker than when he fought freeza, so goku is atleast the same.
Well nobody commented on Piccolo's power either and look at all the complications his power has brought up.

I'm just saying they could have included a few lines to make things a lot clearer.
Frost wasn't trying his best IMO. He was also tired a bit. Also, in power alone, piccolo stood no chance except makankosappo. He specialized in speed and he is that good of a fighter that he can make up for the strength gap significantly.

And piccolo reaching fat buu levels of power from like 1/3 his level in over 8 months and not getting commented is not a stretch to say when everyone is sensing powers stronger than buuhan on daily basis.
My dragon ball respect threads
Respect Piccolo
Respect Tao Pai Pai
Respect Freeza