Dragon Ball Super Strength Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Re: Dragon Ball Super Strength Discussion Thread

Post by PFM18 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:07 pm

Bergamo wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
Bullza wrote:No though I wouldn't think that. Considering that absorbing Super Saiyan God is what powered him up enormously in the first place then I don't think that Super Saiyan God would have given him the same kind of boost ever again seeing as it's already a part of him now.
Exactly. That is the intuition and it is confirmed in the ToP that the multiplier is not the same.
I double checked, in the manga it is said to be a few years before he travelled back in time.
Yeah that's the manga's problem then, and all of this talk about SSJ>SSG only applies to the anime anyway. So that time stamp shouldn't apply to the manga just as the statements about SSJ~SSG shouldn't apply to the manga.

Also, the manga also says that Black can use the time ring because he is a lord of lords, then a few chapters later says they would defuse because he isn't a lord of lords. Also, Trunks becomes a Kaioshin apprentice despite it being stated that Kais are born that way as Gods. So I would take anything the manga does with a grain of salt.
1. Black can use the time ring because he is wearing the portara, not because he is a lord of lords.
2. Zamas was originally a Lord of Worlds, but he was able to become a Supreme Kai apprentice. Guess he wasn't born that way.

Why even roast the manga when you don't know what you're talking about. Try to make informed critisisms.
1. Gowasu said it was because he was a lord of lords IIRC
2. ...that isn't at all what I was saying. Trunks being able to be an apprentice Kaioshin despite not being born a Kai contradicts things. Zamasu is a normal case in which he was born a Kai and was trained to become a Kaioshin.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:18 pm

PFM18 wrote:
Bergamo wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
Exactly. That is the intuition and it is confirmed in the ToP that the multiplier is not the same.

Yeah that's the manga's problem then, and all of this talk about SSJ>SSG only applies to the anime anyway. So that time stamp shouldn't apply to the manga just as the statements about SSJ~SSG shouldn't apply to the manga.

Also, the manga also says that Black can use the time ring because he is a lord of lords, then a few chapters later says they would defuse because he isn't a lord of lords. Also, Trunks becomes a Kaioshin apprentice despite it being stated that Kais are born that way as Gods. So I would take anything the manga does with a grain of salt.
1. Black can use the time ring because he is wearing the portara, not because he is a lord of lords.
2. Zamas was originally a Lord of Worlds, but he was able to become a Supreme Kai apprentice. Guess he wasn't born that way.

Why even roast the manga when you don't know what you're talking about. Try to make informed critisisms.
2. ...that isn't at all what I was saying. Trunks being able to be an apprentice Kaioshin despite not being born a Kai contradicts things. Zamasu is a normal case in which he was born a Kai and was trained to become a Kaioshin.
1. You don't recall correctly. Gowas says that only the Lord of Lords is supposed to use the time ring. He later says that he was keeping the Lord of Lords ritual a secret from Zamas until the time was right.

2. Toriyama specifically says that Kaioshin are born Kaioshin. He also says that Kaioshin live for 75000 years and Shin is well over 5 million, so what does Toriyama know.
Last edited by Bergamo on Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:31 pm

RecolorSaiyan wrote: I'm pretty sure a guidebook has stated Base Vegito > ssj3 goku in the buu saga. Hence why as a suppressed ssj, he was able to casually toy with buuhan who was tens of times above ssj3 goku
I missed a 3 there lol.
Bullza wrote: In the anime, Base Vegito is far stronger than Ultimate Gohan based on his fight with Gohan Buu though it is implied he isn't quite as strong as Buu.

That fight may not have been in the manga but it was still included in Dragon Ball Z Kai and Dragon Ball Super continues on from that.
Doesn't Boo say he was holding back (Or something like that) and then Vegetto transforms into a Super Saiyan in response?

Edit: Yes, Boo says Vegetto hasn't surpass him and then the latter turns into a Super Saiyan in response. Boo then changes his tune and gets worried.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FKGeUDqU8E
Last edited by ZombieVito on Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:32 pm

Manga Tiers Up To this point ( god tier characters not counting Angels, Bodyguards, Zeno)

Tier 1: 12 GoDs, Jiren, Vegetto Blue

Tier 2: Goku, Vegeta, Toppo, Hit, Golden Freeza, M Zamasu

Tier 3: Gohan, Kefla

Tier 4: SS Kale, SS Rose Black

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:56 pm

RecolorSaiyan wrote:Manga Tiers Up To this point ( god tier characters not counting Angels, Bodyguards, Zeno)

My list would go something like this

Tier S: Jiren Full Power
Tier A+: Suppressed Jiren, Hit Full Power, Goku Kaioken
Tier A: Blue Goku, Blue Vegeta, Toppo, Hit, Golden Frieza, Kale Full Power(horrible technique), Kefla, Gohan
Tier A-:Blue Goku(non-serious), Super Saiyan Kale, Golden Frieza(non-serious)

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:59 pm

Bergamo wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
Bergamo wrote: 1. Black can use the time ring because he is wearing the portara, not because he is a lord of lords.

1. You don't recall correctly. Gowas says that only the Lord of Lords is supposed to use the time ring. He later says that he was keeping the Lord of Lords ritual a secret from Zamas until the time was right.

2. Toriyama specifically says that Kaioshin are born Kaioshin. He also says that Kaioshin live for 75000 years and Shin is well over 5 million, so what does Toriyama know.
Eh you may be right. I'll have to take a look back.
Bergamo wrote:
RecolorSaiyan wrote:Manga Tiers Up To this point ( god tier characters not counting Angels, Bodyguards, Zeno)

Tier A: Blue Goku, Blue Vegeta, Toppo, Hit, Golden Frieza, Kale Full Power(horrible technique), Kefla, Gohan
Goku didn't use Kaioken in the manga though?

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:19 am

PFM18 wrote:
Bergamo wrote:
PFM18 wrote:

Bergamo wrote:

Goku didn't use Kaioken in the manga though?
It was sort-of-Kaioken. I'm calling it Kaioken for simplicity's sake.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:45 am

ZombieVito wrote:Doesn't Boo say he was holding back (Or something like that) and then Vegetto transforms into a Super Saiyan in response?

Edit: Yes, Boo says Vegetto hasn't surpass him and then the latter turns into a Super Saiyan in response. Boo then changes his tune and gets worried.

Yeah, Vegito was beating him quite handily but then it would seem that Gohan Buu was still suggesting that he was actually the stronger of the two.

But Base Vegito put up a considerably better fight against Gohan Buu than Ultimate Gohan did against the weaker Gotenks Buu which was very one sided.

So as I said earlier Base Vegito is probably inbetween those two forms of Buu. If Super Saiyan Goku is stronger than Super Saiyan Vegito then there's a real good chance he'd be at the very least as strong as Gohan Buu.

Rebel Instinct
Beyond Newbie

Post by Rebel Instinct » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:05 am

PFM18 wrote:
Bergamo wrote:
PFM18 wrote:

Well, I was wondering when I'd feel the need to address these subjects. I was hoping it wouldn't come up since it's kinda complicated and some of it comes down to VIZ's awkward translating of the original intent (something of a running trend with their recent work), but I suppose it's necessary. I'm pretty busy at the moment, so this won't be as detailed as my other recent posts, but oh well. I'll try my best.

Toyotaro has a slightly different interpretation of the rules than the anime's. it takes a little deductive reasoning to parse out since there's no direct statements. I say deductive reasoning, but it's more like process of elimination really. Toyotaro does this a lot actually. He'll write in a development, statement or idea and then expect the reader to remember it on their own and recognize that it's still effect without being directly told later on when something relevant happens (the power of Vegeta's Super Saiyan 2 form is a perfect example).

Now, to address the Potara/Time Ring/Lord of Lords (or, Kaioshin as I'll be referring to it as from here on) issue. Bergamo is right here, the only thing needed to use a Time Ring is for the user to possess at least one Potara earring. Being a legitimate Kaioshin isn't actually necessary. The confusion largely comes down to the interplay between owning a pair of Potaras and being a Kaioshin.

On pages 5-7 of chapter 17, Gowasu explains the mechanics of the Time Ring to Zamasu. Gowasu says, "Only those that are granted the power of the Lord of Lords have the privilege of traveling to the future with the Ring of Time." If you notice, Gowasu specifically mentions "the privilege" of using a Time Ring. The wording is a tad vague, but Gowasu isn't saying that only Kaioshin are "capable" of using a Time Ring, rather, what he's saying is that only Kaioshin are "permitted" to use the Time Ring to travel to the future. It's not a matter of ability, but rather a matte of permission.

If you watch carefully, Gowasu specifically promotes Zamasu temporarily to the rank of Kaioshin before he puts on the earring. Giving the Potara to Zamasu was both a mechanical and a symbolic gesture. Under normal circumstances, only a Kaoishin is permitted to wear Potara earrings. They are a symbol of status that a Kai is only granted once they become an official Kaioshin. It would otherwise be against the rules for a lesser Kai to wear them. Only after Zamasu is promoted to the rank of Kaioshin does he put on the earring to symbolize his promotion. If all it took to operate a Time Ring were to be promoted to a legitimate Kaioshin, there would be no need for Gowasu to bother giving Zamasu a Potara - Zamasu would just be able to use the ring without it and Gowasu would've had no reason to take his off for a simple temporary promotion. Only after the earring is in place does Gowasu then show Zamasu how to activate the Time Ring.

Now this is where Toyotaro deviates from the anime.

In the manga, the act of killing the acting Kaioshin and taking his Potara does not automatically promote the remaining Kai to his position. Like I mentioned earlier, Gowasu made sure to verbally promote Zamasu to Kaioshin before granting him a Potara in chapter 17. This action made it so that Zamasu could "legally" use the earring without breaking the rules (as per the rules of the Gods/Kais). As we see later, we know that being a legitimate Kaioshin is not necessary to use a Time Ring, as neither Zamasu or Black are technically Kaioshin. This means that the only common denominator left is the Potara earrings themselves. If all it took for Zamasu to use a Time Ring was to kill Gowasu and become Kaioshin, Zamasu would've had no need to take his Potara earrings - he could've simply used the Time Ring on his own thanks to his newfound status. Likewise, there would be no reason to divide the Potara between both Black and Zamasu. They would've been able to use the Time Ring without them. Yet, both made sure to have at least one Potara apiece so that they could utilize the Time Ring if need be.

Now, there is one small niggle that I know has caused some confusion on this subject in the past. That niggle being a comment made by Gowasu in response to Shin lamenting the fact that he gave up his healing powers upon becoming a Kaioshin on page 7 of chapter 24. Shin says, "If I had chosen to remain as the apprentice to the old Kaioshin, I would still have the power of restoration..." To which Gowasu says, "You're right, but if you hadn't become Lord of Lords, you wouldn't have been able to use the Ring of Time to come here."

Understandably, this sounds like a contradiction at first. However, as you may have noticed from the lines I quotes from Shin and Gowasu where VIZ uses both the term Kaoishin and Lord of Lords to describe the same rank (in the very same conversation!), the translation work here is a bit sloppy. Of course VIZ would choose to phone it in on such an important bit of dialogue... :roll: The translated dialogue in the chapter is awkward, but what Gowasu is reiterating here is pretty much exactly what I outlined above - Shin wouldn't have been able to use the Time Ring not because he physically couldn't, but because it would've been against the rules for him to own the Potara necessary to use the ring. Were Shin to have never been promoted, he would have never received Potara earrings and thus wouldn't be able to use the Time Ring. Shin could've stolen Potara for himself to use the Time Ring, but then he would be breaking the rules like Zamasu and would likely be punished for doing so. The way Gowasu's line is phrased in English makes it seem like a straight-up contradiction to earlier statements, but it's just an unfortunately vaguely worded reply on Gowasu's part to a tangentially relevant topic.

To reiterate:
It isn't necessary to be a legitimate Kaioshin in order to use a Time Ring, you only need at least one Potara earring for the Time Ring to work. However, Kais are not granted Potara earrings unless they are officially appointed to the rank of Kaioshin. Zamasu got them by killing Gowasu and stealing his Potara. If Shin hadn't been appointed Kaioshin, he would not have been granted Potara without either being promoted or by stealing them (something he would never do) and would thus not be able to use a Time Ring.

As I said earlier, no one ever directly states, "The Time Ring only works with the Potara earrings!", but thanks to all the information and context clues we're given, we know that's what's going on. It's quite literally the only way for any of this to work. We're given all the necessary information, it's all just left up to the reader to remember it all and put it together.

Okay, now for the part regarding Trunks's healing power, the term "apprentice" and what it means to become one.

First thing's first, Bergamo is right about Toriyama's inconsistencies regarding Kaioshin. Below is a link to another thread here on Kanzenshuu that outlines the contradictions Toriyama has made between his own interviews regarding how Kaioshin are born and appointed and how long they live. The very fact that Zamasu can be promoted from Kaiou-sama to Kaioshin would seem to be a contradiction to Toriyama's own interviews.

viewtopic.php?t=32719

Because there doesn't appear to be any solid logic for how Kaioshin come to be, it's best to not think too deeply about it. If you try to take all the available information we have been given, very little of it will actually match up. That said, there is a little information that I can clarify.

For one, the term "apprentice" that's used to describe Trunks's position is actually not entirely accurate. "Disciple" would be closer in meaning to what the position entails and that term is different to what is used to describe either Kibito or Zamasu. For example, Kibito is referred to as a Kaioshin Attendant or "Kaiōshin Tsukibito" (literally, Worlds' Kings' Gods' Attendant) in the original Japanese. Zamasu, on the other hand, is referred to as a Kaioshin Apprentice or "Kaiōshin Minarai" (literally, Worlds' Kings' Gods' Apprentice). The VIZ translation uses the term "apprentice" to describe Trunks's position too, but it's somewhat inaccurate. It's actually a totally different word than what's used to describe Kibito or Zamasu. Trunks is actually referred to as a Kaioshin Disciple or "Kaiōshin no Deshi" (literally, Worlds' Kings' Gods' Disciple).

As you can see, all three positions are actually different from one another and thus the rules governing each one will be a little different from one another. Kaioshin are indeed born as Kaioshin (at least, according to Toriyama's latest... ahem... "revision"), but that's okay. Trunks can't become an actual Kaioshin, but he can still become a Disciple without any contradictions since the position isn't related to the Kai race or Kaioshin succession process.

Like I mentioned at the start of this post, I'm pretty busy at the moment, so please forgive any typos, awkward phrasing or lack of detail. I had to type this out in spurts over a lengthy period of time. Hopefully it gets my points across properly and clarifies any confusion on the topics at hand. i did the best I could under the circumstances. :|
The post-Super fandom has ruined my love for Dragon Ball.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:17 am

Bullza wrote:
ZombieVito wrote:Doesn't Boo say he was holding back (Or something like that) and then Vegetto transforms into a Super Saiyan in response?

Yeah, Vegito was beating him quite handily but then it would seem that Gohan Buu was still suggesting that he was actually the stronger of the two.

But Base Vegito put up a considerably better fight against Gohan Buu than Ultimate Gohan did against the weaker Gotenks Buu which was very one sided.

So as I said earlier Base Vegito is probably inbetween those two forms of Buu. If Super Saiyan Goku is stronger than Super Saiyan Vegito then there's a real good chance he'd be at the very least as strong as Gohan Buu.
But Boo was not fighting seriously so the fight can't be taken seriously.

At the end of the day Daizenshuu only mentioned Super Saiyan 3 Goku and not Gohan when it comes to who Base Vegetto is stronger than.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:23 am

Another line someone has to take into account for Vegetto is the fact even he was surprised by the fact he was kicking Boohan's ass so easily with just Super Saiyan, meaning it doesn't make sense to put Base Vegetto anywhere close to Boohan in terms of power.

I'd say Base Vegetto is as strong as Super Saiyan Gotenks Post-ROSAT.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:28 am

Ultimate Gohan couldn't even touch Gotenks Buu. Base Vegito kicked away a huge power Ball that was gonna threaten the dimension and got Gohan Buu seriously pissed that his attacks weren't doing anything to him.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:15 pm

Bullza wrote:Ultimate Gohan couldn't even touch Gotenks Buu. Base Vegito kicked away a huge power Ball that was gonna threaten the dimension and got Gohan Buu seriously pissed that his attacks weren't doing anything to him.
Base Vegetto in the manga doesn't do anything but transform into SS.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

ankokudaishogun
Advanced Regular

Post by ankokudaishogun » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:43 pm

Kaiohshins being born as such is from a databook.

Main Media(manga or anime) overrules databooks.

Tl;dr: Retcon.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:38 pm

Bullza wrote:Ultimate Gohan couldn't even touch Gotenks Buu. Base Vegito kicked away a huge power Ball that was gonna threaten the dimension and got Gohan Buu seriously pissed that his attacks weren't doing anything to him.
But you are ignoring that at the end of the fight Boo was smiling and said he wasn't surpassed yet.

He was just fucking around.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:53 pm

ZombieVito wrote:But you are ignoring that at the end of the fight Boo was smiling and said he wasn't surpassed yet.
And he wasn't, Gohan Buu is stronger than Base Vegito.

But it's not like he was joking around either, he exerted far more effort than he did as Gotenks Buu when he was smiling throughout the actual fight and Base Vegito matched up better than Ultimate Gohan did who was incapable of doing anything at all.

If Ultimate Gohan couldn't do a thing to Gotenks Buu then he'd have never achieved what Base Vegito did against the much stronger Gohan Buu.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:00 pm

Bullza wrote:
ZombieVito wrote:But you are ignoring that at the end of the fight Boo was smiling and said he wasn't surpassed yet.
And he wasn't, Gohan Buu is stronger than Base Vegito.

But it's not like he was joking around either, he exerted far more effort than he did as Gotenks Buu when he was smiling throughout the actual fight and Base Vegito matched up better than Ultimate Gohan did who was incapable of doing anything at all.

If Ultimate Gohan couldn't do a thing to Gotenks Buu then he'd have never achieved what Base Vegito did against the much stronger Gohan Buu.
We don't know this.

If base Vegetto was stronger than Gohan then Daizenshuu should have stated it IMO.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:03 pm

For simplicity's sake, I always imagined that original series Vegito was around the same strength as Super Buu or Ultimate Gohan; either of the two works fine.

In this way, Buuhan maintains a definitive power edge over Vegito at full power, but the difference is small enough that SS Vegito still easily curbstomps Buuhan.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:03 pm

Vegito have known how strong Buuhan was considering he saw a weaker version stomp his son and also fought him separately as well.

So it wouldn't make much sense for Vegito to have been weaker than Gohan and then spent so much time fighting him without transforming.

ankokudaishogun
Advanced Regular

Post by ankokudaishogun » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:06 pm

Super Saiyan multiplier starts at x50, it would have been a curbstomp battle even with Base Vegetto being 1/25th of Buuhan.